Crimean status referendum: March 16, 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:37:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Crimean status referendum: March 16, 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Crimean status referendum: March 16, 2014  (Read 16274 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 08:37:28 PM »
« edited: March 07, 2014, 08:41:14 PM by ag »

Anyone know what the Russian word for Anschluss is?

According to Google Translate:  подключение
подключение means "Anschluss" in the sense of the connection to e.g a telephone network
The "Anschluss", the (forced) merger of one state/territory with an other, if I may say so, is присоединение, says at least my German-Russian dictionary.

Russians used to say "Anshljuss". Of course, this is not Kremlinly politically correct here Smiley

Присоединение in this context would have a slightly negative connotation, as it presupposes that they had never been together before. I am pretty sure, they are going to use воссоединение, "reunification". And that is, in fact, what they put on the "ballot".
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 08:45:50 PM »

The result of this referendum certainly seems like a foregone conclusion, although it appears now that the impetus to hold it might be coming from Simferopol rather than from Moscow.

In that case, what would the political ramifications be if it somehow fails? Would it faze the Crimean government?

What would happen if tomorrow Putin were to convert to Buddhism and retire to a monastery near Lhasa to spend the rest of his life meditating? Because that is, certainly, more in the realm of the possible.

The "referendum" will be run WITHOUT a voter list, with more ballots printed then there are voters in the peninsula, under control of the occupying forces and, almost certainly, boycotted by pretty much everybody, who disagrees with Russian annexation. Any questions?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 08:52:31 PM »

The West should only reject this illegal secession if it rejects the other illegal secession it supported six years ago. Russia should also be morally consistent.

It is sorrowful, that condemning Kosovo and worshiping Milosevic has become token of progressism in modern America.

I have not done the latter. The situations in Kosovo and Crimea are clearly parallel, anyway, just switching out one rotten imperial power (the US/NATO) for another (Russia).

I did not know Crimean kids have spent the last 10 years going to underground Russian schools, nor that all the local policemen have been replaced long ago with those from Lviv, nor that all Russian-speaking public sector employees have been fired 10 years back, etc., etc. Nor has it come to my notice that hundreds of thousands of refugees from the main urban centers have been fleeing an ethnic purge. Since you insist on the parallelism here, I guess, you have seen evidence to all of that. Where are you getting that info, if you do not mind me asking? 
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 09:00:31 PM »

Insofar as both secessions were illegal under international law and protected by imperial powers/power blocs.

(ftr I have you on ignore)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 09:17:52 PM »

Insofar as both secessions were illegal under international law and protected by imperial powers/power blocs.

Snowstalker having someone on ignore... Yikes.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 10:28:57 PM »

So by that logic I have to agree with Citizens United too?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 11:45:50 PM »

Snowstalker having someone on ignore... Yikes.

That is an honor Smiley
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 12:48:06 AM »

The result of this referendum certainly seems like a foregone conclusion, although it appears now that the impetus to hold it might be coming from Simferopol rather than from Moscow.

In that case, what would the political ramifications be if it somehow fails? Would it faze the Crimean government?

What would happen if tomorrow Putin were to convert to Buddhism and retire to a monastery near Lhasa to spend the rest of his life meditating? Because that is, certainly, more in the realm of the possible.

The "referendum" will be run WITHOUT a voter list, with more ballots printed then there are voters in the peninsula, under control of the occupying forces and, almost certainly, boycotted by pretty much everybody, who disagrees with Russian annexation. Any questions?

Buddhist Putin sounds like an interesting possibility for a timeline, and I don't normally dabble in those. Wink But I see what you mean. It is that sort of a foregone conclusion.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 06:05:35 AM »

The West should only reject this illegal secession if it rejects the other illegal secession it supported six years ago. Russia should also be morally consistent.

This is not a secession, it is an annexation.

Kosovo wasn't incorporated into the United States as a Territory.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2014, 04:21:32 PM »

Apparently this is a poster from the "referendum" campaign:

(from CBS News's Elizabeth Palmer on Twitter)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 07:31:21 PM »

Godwin's law applies to geopolitics as well
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 06:20:31 PM »

It is sorrowful, that condemning Kosovo and worshiping Milosevic has become token of progressism in modern America.

I have not done the latter. The situations in Kosovo and Crimea are clearly parallel, anyway, just switching out one rotten imperial power (the US/NATO) for another (Russia).

Only if you are silly enough to take everything that the Kremlin is saying about Crimea at face value.  Kosovo was a textbook example of a remedial secession in a region which was separated from the prior state by an international force to prevent an ethnic cleansing. A government elected under international  supervision then chose to issue a UDI ten years after the initial separation
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 01:17:32 AM »

There is only one rule in Russian elections: Vladmir Putin always wins.
njwes
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 02:58:46 AM »

"International law" is only for weak states with little or no power on the world stage. The talk of what is "legal" or "illegal," both in the case of Kosovo and Crimea, is silly, asinine even.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2014, 09:48:46 AM »

"International law" is only for weak states with little or no power on the world stage. The talk of what is "legal" or "illegal," both in the case of Kosovo and Crimea, is silly, asinine even.
This statement is not utterly and entirely untrue and moronic.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »

Shaun Walker of the Guardian reports from a press conference given by "international observers" (including a Jobbik MEP -- weren't the fascists supposed to be on the Ukrainian side...):

You must be logged in to read this quote.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2014, 05:31:35 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2014, 05:34:05 PM by ObserverIE »

Shaun Walker of the Guardian reports from a press conference given by "international observers" (including a Jobbik MEP -- weren't the fascists supposed to be on the Ukrainian side...):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

"Political rants against US hegemony in the world" seem to be as popular on the crackpot right (RTÉ news this evening featured another "election observer" from Vlaams Blok Belang) as they are on the crackpot left.

When you think about it, the mixture of authoritarianism, gangster capitalism and social conservatism practised by Putin (Stolypin Mark II?) should be extremely attractive to the sort of curdled right-wingers that gravitate towards UKIP or the PVV. Enoch Powell had an extremely soft spot towards Russia from what I recall.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2014, 01:00:38 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2014, 01:02:09 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Apparently this is a poster from the "referendum" campaign:

(from CBS News's Elizabeth Palmer on Twitter)

I'm sure the Crimean Tartars have fond memories of being falsely accused of being Nazis and being sent to the gulags, where something like half died. Accusing ethnic minorities in Crimea of being Nazis makes you almost as bad as the Nazis.
njwes
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2014, 03:08:27 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2014, 03:51:12 AM by njwes »

This statement is not utterly and entirely untrue and moronic.

I suppose I'll take this as a compliment ;p

In addition to contrarian articles from right-wing sources, I've been noticing more and more articles in this vein on leftist websites: http://www.salon.com/2014/03/12/propaganda_lies_and_the_new_york_times_everything_you_really_need_to_know_about_ukraine/

Reports this morning are that apparently the voting booths in Crimea are decorated the colors of the Russian flag; the Russkis could have at least tried to make this seem a bit more legit

Edit: Or it could just be the colors of the Crimean flag Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2014, 10:47:09 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2014, 12:00:40 PM by Tender Branson »

Turnout at 5pm local time was ca. 70%

http://referendum2014.ru/news/na-17-00-yavka-sostavila-70.html

Polls are open until 8pm.

So, probably 75-80% turnout (which is to be expected in these kinds of referendums).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2014, 11:05:25 AM »

How likely is it that a good deal of ballot stuffing explains some of this high turnout?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2014, 11:05:42 AM »

Look here for info and results (First exit polls at 20pm local time, results at 22.30pm):

http://en.c-inform.info

BTW: Fabrizio Bertot, a member of the European Parliament from the EPP (Conservatives), who observes the elections in Crimea, told media that the election looks like elections in Italy and that he has seen no irregularities.

(some Western media outfits have reported on the glass boxes where voters throw their ballots into as being "not fair").

I don't see much of a problem with this, because people can vote in voting booths, then fold their ballots once or twice and nobody sees who they voted.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2014, 11:07:36 AM »

How likely is it that a good deal of ballot stuffing explains some of this high turnout?

Unlikely, I think that it's more the "excitement" of the ethnical Russians in Crimea that drives them to the polls.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2014, 11:38:23 AM »

My prediction:

Voting option A) 69.1% (+/- 3%)
Voting option B) 30.9%

Turnout: 78% (+/- 3%)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2014, 11:44:38 AM »

Some pictures from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26598832

There's probably not even the slightest need to rig this or stuff ballots, if the Russians flock to the polls and well, you know how they will vote ...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies