Crimean status referendum: March 16, 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:32:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Crimean status referendum: March 16, 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Crimean status referendum: March 16, 2014  (Read 16280 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2014, 12:02:56 PM »

Turnout at 6pm was 73.4%

http://www.c-inform.info/news/id/723

1.122.999 people have voted so far.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2014, 12:08:25 PM »

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »

Exit Poll:

93% for voting option A ("Re-unification with Russia")
  7% for voting option B

Turnout passed 80%.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2014, 01:52:06 PM »

D+1
BigSkyBob

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2014, 02:55:40 PM »

Look here for info and results (First exit polls at 20pm local time, results at 22.30pm):

http://en.c-inform.info

BTW: Fabrizio Bertot, a member of the European Parliament from the EPP (Conservatives), who observes the elections in Crimea, told media that the election looks like elections in Italy and that he has seen no irregularities.

(some Western media outfits have reported on the glass boxes where voters throw their ballots into as being "not fair").

I don't see much of a problem with this, because people can vote in voting booths, then fold their ballots once or twice and nobody sees who they voted.

Then, again, because the ballot boxes are glass everybody can see who folded their ballots once or twice.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »

Look here for info and results (First exit polls at 20pm local time, results at 22.30pm):

BTW: Fabrizio Bertot, a member of the European Parliament from the EPP (Conservatives), who observes the elections in Crimea, told media that the election looks like elections in Italy and that he has seen no irregularities.

(some Western media outfits have reported on the glass boxes where voters throw their ballots into as being "not fair").

I don't see much of a problem with this, because people can vote in voting booths, then fold their ballots once or twice and nobody sees who they voted.

Then, again, because the ballot boxes are glass everybody can see who folded their ballots once or twice.
This is common in many European countries, so it's not some sign of unfair elections. Also I doubt that many opponents of Crimea joining Russia would bother voting when the other option apparently still allows for Crimea to join Russia.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2014, 03:24:56 PM »

How likely is it that a good deal of ballot stuffing explains some of this high turnout?

Unlikely, I think that it's more the "excitement" of the ethnical Russians in Crimea that drives them to the polls.

But don't ethnic russians make up only 50-60% of the population?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2014, 03:26:27 PM »

How likely is it that a good deal of ballot stuffing explains some of this high turnout?

Unlikely, I think that it's more the "excitement" of the ethnical Russians in Crimea that drives them to the polls.

But don't ethnic russians make up only 50-60% of the population?

Anschluss has a way of working its *magic.*
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2014, 03:28:16 PM »

Doesn't France uses glass boxes, too?

Anyways, the ballot questions are a big issue, which would taint the results no matter other issues.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2014, 03:38:59 PM »

CNN reports that with half the votes now counted, over 95% support joining Russia.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/16/world/europe/ukraine-crisis/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2014, 03:48:23 PM »

Well isn't that the bees knees? ag is right- this is an "electoral-type event" at best.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »

Leader of the Crimean Tatars said 99% of them did not vote in the referendum.

Meanwhile, Chrimean Premier stated, 40% of the Tatars did vote.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2014, 04:27:41 PM »

This is common in many European countries, ...

True, but, is not common in most European countries to have overwhelming military forces stationed in their country.

I'm surprised the ballot isn't printed with options "YES" and "no" mimicking another famous referendum.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2014, 05:08:31 PM »

So clearly the next step should be for any town in Crimea that is Tatar or Ukrainian majority to vote on secession.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2014, 06:48:40 PM »

Clear ballot boxes aren't that unusual and don't really make fraud and/or intimidation easier. Of course that doesn't mean we can't rule out problems with either, but the result isn't exactly fantastical considering that many of those opposed decided to boycott the poll.

Criticism of this vote should be based on the dubious processes used to arrive at it, because that is where the (very, very) legitimate case for concern exists.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2014, 06:49:52 PM »

So clearly the next step should be for any town in Crimea that is Tatar or Ukrainian majority to vote on secession.

Also, Chukotka Autonomous Okrug should vote to join Alaska.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2014, 02:44:48 AM »

Clear ballot boxes aren't that unusual and don't really make fraud and/or intimidation easier. Of course that doesn't mean we can't rule out problems with either, but the result isn't exactly fantastical considering that many of those opposed decided to boycott the poll.

Criticism of this vote should be based on the dubious processes used to arrive at it, because that is where the (very, very) legitimate case for concern exists.

I agree that the vote shares aren't implausible given the boycotts and the fact that it was basically a fait accompli.  But the turnout figure seems suspiciously high, given that the census figures (admittedly over a decade out of date) show about 35% of the population identifying as either Ukrainian or Crimean Tatar, and turnout does not seem likely to have been high among these groups.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2014, 02:51:37 AM »

We need to rejoin Vilnius region with the Motherland.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2014, 05:19:59 AM »

You mean Wilno? Tongue
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2014, 03:00:09 PM »

And we're worried about Russian expansion? Tongue
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2014, 03:21:51 PM »

Crimea and Sevastopol have declared independence and requested to join the Russian Federation.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2014, 05:19:56 PM »

You mean Wilno? Tongue

No, he will mean Вильна. Presently.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2014, 08:16:03 PM »

I'm sort of surprised that the figures were that high.  I'd have thought they'd done their best to make the numbers look plausible with only a 70 to 80% level of support for the invasion.
Joshgreen
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2014, 09:12:41 PM »

Time to send in ground troops.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2014, 05:00:45 PM »

Actually, a few things. The representatives of the Tatar community that the Western media always hear do not represent the entirety of said community. From the figures, I'm guessing a not negligible number of them actually voted in favor of joining Russia. I'm pretty sure virtually none self-identifying Ukrainian bothered to vote, and that accounts for the abstention.

Then, why would people vote for joining Russia ? Well, mainly two things : average income/pensions are thrice what they are in Ukraine, and it's pretty sure Putin will do some generous gestures in the first few months to welcome back the old brothers. Plus, as it was gonna be the end of it anyway, better avoid a civil war and get done with it. I'm really not sure the Tatars' or even the Ukrainians' situation will be considerably worse now than then. Granted, a number of them will probably move back to Ukraine, but I don't think they will be outright deported.

So it's not really surprising actually. Plus it's a huge failure of Western foreign policy. And I would like to state that I'm not particularly happy with it, nor upset. It's Kosovo or, better, Hawaii, all over again. At least it should be much harder for the Party of Russi... Regions to win a national in Ukraine now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies