Bernie Sanders: "I Am Prepared to Run for President of the United States"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:48:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bernie Sanders: "I Am Prepared to Run for President of the United States"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders: "I Am Prepared to Run for President of the United States"  (Read 9219 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2014, 05:20:03 PM »

Republicans have reason to hope here, and not just if Sanders runs. In 2008 Democrats of course had to hit the necessary litmus tests on issues, but they didn't need to compete to overly "out-liberal" the others, and those that tried (e.g. Kucinich) went nowhere. It's harder when you're the party out of power to not keep one eye constantly focused on November. There were enough big names in the mix that sticking to the basics of opposing the Iraq War and reversing Bush's economic policies (in a restrained-ish return to Clinton-era tax rates, etc.) was sufficient to remain credible and competitive.

This time around, though, the only way to run against Hillary (or Biden), or get noticed among the pack if she doesn't run, is to stake out a claim as the "true progressive" in the race. These forces are going to pull most Democratic contenders far more to the left than the 08 primary race did.

But this is of course all moot if Hillary runs. Tongue
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2014, 10:52:54 PM »

This time around, though, the only way to run against Hillary (or Biden), or get noticed among the pack if she doesn't run, is to stake out a claim as the "true progressive" in the race. These forces are going to pull most Democratic contenders far more to the left than the 08 primary race did.

You say this like it's a bad thing. I bet a liberal like Sherrod Brown could have won the 2008 election.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2014, 05:37:04 AM »

You say this like it's a bad thing. I bet a liberal like Sherrod Brown could have won the 2008 election.
The Democrats could have nominated a self-identified Marxist in 2008 and still would've won
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2014, 11:40:55 PM »

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/category/bernie-sanders/

1.  Would you welcome his candidacy?

2.  Would you support his candidacy?

3.  Who would be his best running mate?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2014, 10:32:05 AM »

Run and independent general election campaign against Hillary please!

Totally support this suggestion, albeit for different reasons, I'm sure. Tongue

You would be correct, split the vote and have a new President Bush! Tongue

If Sanders does this, I will lose ALL respect for him.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2014, 12:35:40 PM »

Run and independent general election campaign against Hillary please!

Totally support this suggestion, albeit for different reasons, I'm sure. Tongue

You would be correct, split the vote and have a new President Bush! Tongue

If Sanders does this, I will lose ALL respect for him.

Don't worry, he won't. He's not an idiot.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2014, 01:21:10 PM »

The Democrats could have nominated a self-identified Marxist in 2008 and still would've won

lolno
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2014, 03:15:41 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2014, 10:13:33 PM by Lincoln Republican »

As the Vice Presidential running mate for Senator Bernie Sanders in 2016, I put forward the name of Hilda Solis of California.  

A woman
A Hispanic
A progressive

Experienced

Served near the end of the Carter administration in the White House Office of Hispanic Affairs, where she was editor-in-chief of a newsletter during a 1980–1981 Washington semester internship, as part of her mater's degree program

At the start of the Reagan administration, became a management analyst at the civil rights division of the Office of Management and Budget, serving during 1981

Director of the California Student Opportunity and Access Program in 1982, to help disadvantaged youth gain necessary preparation for college

Elected to the Rio Hondo Community College Board of Trustees 1985

California State Assembly 1992-1994

California State Senate 1994-2001, the first Hispanic woman to serve in the State Senate,  sought to pass environmental justice legislation

U.S. House of Representatives for California 2001-2009, focused mainly on labor causes and environmental work

U.S. Secretary of Labor in cabinet of President Barack Obama 2009-2013  

Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, takes office December 1, 2014

Educated

California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, Bachelor of Arts degree in political science

University of Southern California, Master of Public Administration degree  

New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2014, 10:33:41 PM »

Democrats, will he be able to take delegates away from Hilary?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2014, 10:42:32 PM »

Democrats, will he be able to take delegates away from Hilary?
Delegates? Yes, due to proportional representation rules
Will he actually win any states? No, not even VT.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2014, 11:24:23 PM »

As the Vice Presidential running mate for Senator Bernie Sanders in 2016, I put forward the name of Hilda Solis of California.  

A woman
A Hispanic
A progressive

Experienced

Served near the end of the Carter administration in the White House Office of Hispanic Affairs, where she was editor-in-chief of a newsletter during a 1980–1981 Washington semester internship, as part of her mater's degree program

At the start of the Reagan administration, became a management analyst at the civil rights division of the Office of Management and Budget, serving during 1981

Director of the California Student Opportunity and Access Program in 1982, to help disadvantaged youth gain necessary preparation for college

Elected to the Rio Hondo Community College Board of Trustees 1985

California State Assembly 1992-1994

California State Senate 1994-2001, the first Hispanic woman to serve in the State Senate,  sought to pass environmental justice legislation

U.S. House of Representatives for California 2001-2009, focused mainly on labor causes and environmental work

U.S. Secretary of Labor in cabinet of President Barack Obama 2009-2013  

Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, takes office December 1, 2014

Educated

California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, Bachelor of Arts degree in political science

University of Southern California, Master of Public Administration degree  

The only problem I see with Solis as the ideal running mate for Sanders is that Solis will no doubt be supporting Clinton in 2016.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2014, 11:36:23 PM »

Sanders won't be having any running mates because he won't be running third party.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2014, 11:47:02 PM »

Sanders will be 75 years old in 2016 and looks like a schizophrenic who might accost you at a street corner (he also speaks with a "condescending" tone of voice that could easily be spun as "sexist" post a debate with Hillary). His impact would actually most likely be to push Hillary to the right, as she could pivot to the center during debates with him and not lose out with low-information voters, since they see reasonable Hillary (just like Bill!) and crazy, ill-tempered old guy. If Hillary did debate him, he'd win the Reddit vote, nothing more. If she ignored him, he'd have approximately the same impact as Mike Gravel in '08.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2014, 12:02:56 AM »

Sanders won't be having any running mates because he won't be running third party.

If Sanders is the Democratic nominee, and probably nobody believes he will be, but if he is, do you think Solis would be a good running mate for him?

If not her, who would be?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2014, 10:59:31 AM »

Sanders will be 75 years old in 2016 and looks like a schizophrenic who might accost you at a street corner (he also speaks with a "condescending" tone of voice that could easily be spun as "sexist" post a debate with Hillary).

No.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2014, 10:06:00 PM »

I think it would only be right for Sanders to run.  My (very non-expert) read of the political landscape on the left is that growing economic inequality and anti-corporatism are by far the most important issues to them now, and Sanders carries that message a lot more compellingly than Clinton does.  On that principle alone, whether he wins the nomination or not, he really ought to run.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2014, 10:14:03 PM »

I'd definitely support his run if he'd make Hillary go to the left on some issues.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies