Senate defeats Gillibrand military sexual assault bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:20:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate defeats Gillibrand military sexual assault bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Senate defeats Gillibrand military sexual assault bill  (Read 3788 times)
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 06:35:52 PM »

What was the general reasoning behind the opposition?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 08:06:04 PM »

Usual suspects on the Democrat side, except Whitehouse and Jack Reed. Interesting Republican list though, not exactly the folks I'd expect to be most likely to buck party line.

I'm especially disappointed by Whitehouse and Jack Reed. Why would they have any reason to vote against this?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 09:21:58 PM »

Usual suspects on the Democrat side, except Whitehouse and Jack Reed. Interesting Republican list though, not exactly the folks I'd expect to be most likely to buck party line.

I'm especially disappointed by Whitehouse and Jack Reed. Why would they have any reason to vote against this?

Of the 11 Dems who voted Nay, 7 (including Reed) sit on the Armed Services Committee - around 21% of Dems, and 50% of Armed Services Committee Dems, voted nay. I presume they support the McCaskill legislation.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 09:43:40 PM »

This is awful. I hope other Democrats make note of at least some of these people (they certainly can do better than Carper in DELAWARE)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 02:53:25 PM »

Kudos to the Senate.

Interesting to note that people on this forum only call for compromise and non-partisanship in the Senate when it benefits their political wishes.

The defeat of Gillibrand's bill shows a wide coalition of support, something must have been wrong with it. 
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 05:55:34 PM »

Kudos to the Senate.

Interesting to note that people on this forum only call for compromise and non-partisanship in the Senate when it benefits their political wishes.

The defeat of Gillibrand's bill shows a wide coalition of support, something must have been wrong with it. 
Except that two of the most Conservative Republicans (Cruz and Paul) voted yes, while two quite Liberal Democrats (Reed and Whitehouse) voted against, that's not a wide coalition of support.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2014, 08:38:21 AM »

Just because you can get the two parties to agree doesn't guarrantee it is a good idea and unlike some I am not so fix deprived of collaborative efforts in the tea party era to sign on with everything that John McCain and is gang is willing to side with some Democrats on.

It should also be noted that wide doesn't even mean a majority in this case, definiton must of have changed. The nays were 45 in number I believe.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies