Utah Dem House Minority Leader is retiring.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:25:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Utah Dem House Minority Leader is retiring.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Utah Dem House Minority Leader is retiring.  (Read 525 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2014, 05:32:05 PM »

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/57642735-90/community-decision-dissertation-eight.html.csp

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I realized that most of you won't care and will point out that this doesn't matter, but I thought it was interesting. Seelig is young-ish, and in an utterly safe district in Salt Lake City, so she could be Minority Leader for as long as she wanted. But she's bailing out and working on her PHD instead. I don't blame her, considering that there's only 14 House Dems left in Utah.

I don't live in Salt Lake City, so I have no idea who her potential successor could be; but considering she's been at the forefront for women in politics in Utah and her district is 47% Latino, it's probably going to be a Latina, or possibly a SLC city council member.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 05:34:52 PM »

I don't blame her, it must be frustrating being the minority, always.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 05:45:12 PM »

She's actually my state representative.

Shame she's retiring, but I wish her well on finishing her doctorate.

Anyway, as Zioneer pointed out, her district is plurality Hispanic, and is based in SLC, where white voters aren't quite as republican as they are in most other parts of the state. Likely D at worst.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 05:56:09 PM »

I don't blame her, it must be frustrating being the minority, always.

At least we're not the Hawaii GOP, I guess.

She's actually my state representative.

Shame she's retiring, but I wish her well on finishing her doctorate.

Anyway, as Zioneer pointed out, her district is plurality Hispanic, and is based in SLC, where white voters aren't quite as republican as they are in most other parts of the state. Likely D at worst.

Pretty much Likely D unless the D candidate eats a baby or something. It'll be interesting to see who replaces her; they only have 14 days to get on the ballot.

And be thankful she was your rep; Ken Ivory is mine. He's as safe in his district as Seelig was in hers.

Anyway, do you have any guesses on who could run for Seelig's district? Or are you as in the dark as I am?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 06:00:08 PM »

Anyway, do you have any guesses on who could run for Seelig's district? Or are you as in the dark as I am?

I have absolutely no clue at all.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 06:01:49 PM »

Sorry, I was talking to SLValleyMan for that part of the post. My bad for any confusion.

I also don't know who will replace Seelig as Minority Leader.

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 06:09:33 PM »

Sorry, I was talking to SLValleyMan for that part of the post. My bad for any confusion.

Ah, haha, I was wondering why you were asking someone from PA.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 11:59:15 PM »

By the way, I checked, and Seelig's district is the most Hispanic (and possibly most diverse overall) at 47% Hispanic. The next closest, the district that is literally known as "the Hispanic district" is only 42%. I would be highly surprised if this district votes a white guy in (though I know a white guy who lives in the area and is interested and credible). Interestingly, there's also a 9% Hispanic district that's held by a Hispanic Dem.

Also, excluding Matheson, this is only the second Dem legislator retirement in Utah so far, third if you count a county councilman.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies