Do you count bad sequels as part of the series?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 09:06:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Do you count bad sequels as part of the series?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you count bad sequels as part of the series?  (Read 891 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:36:06 PM »

I'm talking about these awesome eighties films that had sequels that either were bad or just didn't fit in with the general series. Examples are below:

-"Rambo" (the fourth one, but, for whatever reason, called "Rambo" just like Led Zeppelin's fourth album)
-Terminator 3, Terminator Salvation
-Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
-Rocky Balboa (I actually enjoyed this film, but it came so long after the others that I couldn't really say that it really counts)

Do you count films such as these as part of the overall series and continuity? I can't say I really do. That's not to say I fully disregard the films, but if I"m gonna do a marthon and only have the VHS's my parents bought at flea markets 5+ years ago, I'm not gonna bother counting the later ones in the marathon. That's like them making a "Godfather IV" in like 2009 then having me count it in the marathon.

Thoughts?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 09:37:34 PM »

That's like them making a "Godfather IV" in like 2009 then having me count it in the marathon.

Most people don't include "The Godfather III" as part of the series Tongue.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 11:20:45 PM »

I'll count bad sequels but not bad prequels.  However, I may change my mind depend on what Abrams does with the upcoming fourth Star Wars movie.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 11:49:33 PM »

I'm not big on The Bourne Legacy. As a standalone action movie it's fine, but as a follow up to the original trilogy it messes with the story a lot. So I'm going to ignore it as plotwise for now unless it gets sequels that manage to fix the mess it created.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 12:05:52 AM »

That's like them making a "Godfather IV" in like 2009 then having me count it in the marathon.

Most people don't include "The Godfather III" as part of the series Tongue.

Yeah, bad example seeing as they already had a fake sequel.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 12:09:41 AM »

Rambo was awesome.

But as for the OP, sometimes.  The newest Indiana Jones movie just doesn't exist in my world.  On the other hand, like everybody else, I don't love the Star Wars prequels, but I still admit they exist.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 12:21:31 AM »

I'm not big on The Bourne Legacy. As a standalone action movie it's fine, but as a follow up to the original trilogy it messes with the story a lot. So I'm going to ignore it as plotwise for now unless it gets sequels that manage to fix the mess it created.

I didn't even know those films had plot.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 08:53:54 AM »

Yes, but I try not to watch them or buy them.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 12:45:24 PM »

I simply choose not to acknowledge sequels that tail off or become horrible or change the theme so much that it's something else. I guess that was the whole deal with the AVP movies - they're not part of either franchise formally, and this happens in other stuff too; it's called whether or not something should be considered "part of the canon" or not. Sometimes it's an interesting debate!

IMO? Even for '80s era horror flicks, the Halloween movies after Part II became unwatchable disasters, as did Alien 3 and Alien Res. I mean, damn!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 06:19:09 PM »

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was pretty good. It's Temple of Doom that blows.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 08:27:42 PM »

My partner made me develop a soft spot for the Die Hard movies. The recent fifth one was awful, but I still consider it a part of the whole. I might skip it during a marathon.

Can we include TV shows? The last seasons of Dexter, Heroes, and to a lesser extent Fringe were all disappointments. They're still a part of the whole as well though. I will include the upcoming season of Heroes as connected to the original.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 08:55:23 PM »

Are you kidding me? That is one of the best action/adventure movies ever made!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 09:56:36 PM »

I've established a strict No Sequels policy unless its a planned triology, etc. Movies like Rocky Balboa that are made just to cash in on a franchise one more time don't interest me the slightest bit.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 11:38:40 PM »

Are you kidding me? That is one of the best action/adventure movies ever made!

Meh. It's really dumb.  Kingdom of the Crystal Skull rightfully has the higher Metacritic ranking.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 11:44:46 PM »

Temple of Doom was really disturbing in several places.  Spielberg and Lucas both admitted as much, given that they made it during some dark times in their lives.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was just unnecessary.  Not to mention Indy escaping a nuke blast in a fridge, and Shia LeBeouf.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 01:42:29 AM »

So I'm the only one who misread this as "Do you count bad squirrels as part of the series?"?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 12:23:13 PM »

Temple of Doom was really disturbing in several places.  Spielberg and Lucas both admitted as much, given that they made it during some dark times in their lives.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was just unnecessary.  Not to mention Indy escaping a nuke blast in a fridge, and Shia LeBeouf.

Anything Goes? Wink

Couldn't resist

I can tollerate Temple of Doom, but Crystal Skull doesn't even register that much. I have watched the first three several times in the last four years, but I can't remember watching Crystral Skull save maybe once in that time.

Part of the problem is that Spielberg doesn't like to do the same thing twice and in the quest to find something new with a new approach to the series, he ended up going too alien (litteraly and figuratively) for most Indy fans.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 11:13:08 AM »

It all depends on the film.  The Disney direct-to-video sequels are a definite no.  If it's a proper film (that's released in movie theatres and is true to the original), then yes.  Otherwise, no.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 03:23:23 PM »

Depends on how much the original creators had to do with it. 

Star Wars and its seemingly infinite amount of related media often comes with the Lucas Stamp O' Approval or even some heavy input from the man himself.  So yes, the video games, cartoons, comics, etc etc etc... I consider them all part of the overall story.

All the Terminator stuff from Rise Of The Machines onward?  No.  This stuff has nothing to do with T1 and T2, which was intended to be the complete series (plus some video games and attractions at Universal Studios that gave a little glimpse into the future war, but I digress).  This can be seen certain themes being completely dropped, sometimes reversed, and an utterly ridiculous amount of plot inconsistencies regarding John Connor's age in T2/T3, Sarah Connor's death, the Skynet program, the nature of Skynet, etc. 

So, it depends on the series.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 01:21:16 AM »

It's really arbitrary for me I must admit, and boils down to whether I liked the bad films in question.

For example, everything in the Alien, Predator, Jurassic Park, and Jaws franchises after their first respective sequels came out are dead to me. Likewise for the new Star Trek films. The fourth Indiana Jones film came close to being fine with me but the leap it made from featuring mystical and supernatural phenomena to sci-fi aliens was unforgivable. Yet at the same time I accept the ridiculousness of most action, animated, and horror movie sequels, am content with the prequel trilogy for Star Wars, and will probably end up adoring the entirety of The Hobbit trilogy in spite of Jackson taking so many liberties.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 02:52:01 AM »

I count them because it's not like a terrible Die Hard 4 or 5 can retroactively make the first 3 suck. But I do however respect the right of future filmmakers to ignore terrible installments.
Examples:

Superman Returns ignoring Superman III and IV*
Halloween H20 ignoring Halloweens 4,5, and 6.**
Jaws: The Revenge ignoring Jaws 3(D?)***

*Bad example because Superman Returns wasn't exactly spectacular.
** I think I got this right. I reserve the right to correct this in the morning.
*** I'm well aware that Jaws 3 was a far superior movie.

You know what, never mind.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies