CPAC 'GOP minority outreach' panel goes as well as you'd expect
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:27:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CPAC 'GOP minority outreach' panel goes as well as you'd expect
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: CPAC 'GOP minority outreach' panel goes as well as you'd expect  (Read 7547 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2014, 03:09:08 PM »

I did not attend.

But the fact is the "GOP outreach" remains too often condescending and critical rather than offering a viable alternative. I haven't had the time to re-read on Paul Ryan's plan but it might be a step in the right direction, I've heard good things about it.

The GOP's problem is that they have almost regressed in terms of the way they view the poor to a mentality more suited to 19th century England. They view poverty as a purely moral issue: poor people are that way because they are morally reprobate (having children out of wedlock and raising them without both parents present; perhaps using drugs like marijuana even though the poor are no more likely to do so than anyone else), lazy (working sub-$10/hr jobs and not "pulling themselves up by their bootstraps"), and irresponsible (because if they didn't buy frivolities like cell phones and televisions, they'd have enough money to retire at 50!).

I was around Latino's for 4.5 years when I was at a job so I understand them.

Please don't even go there, dude. You sound like a GOP pol trying to walk back some ignorant comment he made about Hispanics by talking about how well he treated his landscaper or how he can't be racist because he supposedly has a black friend.
hopper
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2014, 03:18:50 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2014, 03:25:33 PM by hopper »

I did not attend.

But the fact is the "GOP outreach" remains too often condescending and critical rather than offering a viable alternative. I haven't had the time to re-read on Paul Ryan's plan but it might be a step in the right direction, I've heard good things about it.

The GOP's problem is that they have almost regressed in terms of the way they view the poor to a mentality more suited to 19th century England. They view poverty as a purely moral issue: poor people are that way because they are morally reprobate (having children out of wedlock and raising them without both parents present; perhaps using drugs like marijuana even though the poor are no more likely to do so than anyone else), lazy (working sub-$10/hr jobs and not "pulling themselves up by their bootstraps"), and irresponsible (because if they didn't buy frivolities like cell phones and televisions, they'd have enough money to retire at 50!).

Please don't even go there, dude. You sound like a GOP pol trying to walk back some ignorant comment he made about Hispanics by talking about how well he treated his landscaper or how he can't be racist because he supposedly has a black friend.
Dude screw you you want to attack me racally with the black friend and the landscaper rhetoric. I will not take that crap from you. You think I am not up on that rhetoric or that response? I am knowledgeable  about that rhetoric. You can take that rhetoric and take it back right at yourself. Just because I am a leaning Republican doesn't make you throwing your rhetoric at me right.

No you don't go there with me...........
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2014, 03:27:01 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2014, 03:29:35 PM by Simfan34 »

I did not attend.

Dude screw you you want to attack me racally with the black friend and the landscaper rhetoric. I will not take that crap from you. You think I am not up on that rhetoric or that response? I am knowledgeable  about that rhetoric. You can take that rhetoric and take it back right at yourself. Just because I am a leaning Republican doesn't make you throwing your rhetoric at me right.

Woah, woah, calm down now.

IndyTexas, there's a bit of truth in your response but the fact is that's probably closer to the truth than the "the white man wants to keep you down!" rhetoric peddled by charlatans like Al Sharpton, and which many people actually believe. It's a cultural matter, and it's an endogenous issue that requires community-based solutions rather than government intervention or a massive push against "white racism".

Is the GOP more interested in demonising the dehumanised "other" for white votes than actually helping end systemic economic and cultural poverty amongst blacks and Hispanics? Sadly, probably so. But do the Democrats offer much more? Not really.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2014, 03:29:45 PM »

I did not attend.

Dude screw you you want to attack me racally with the black friend and the landscaper rhetoric. I will not take that crap from you. You think I am not up on that rhetoric or that response? I am knowledgeable  about that rhetoric. You can take that rhetoric and take it back right at yourself. Just because I am a leaning Republican doesn't make you throwing your rhetoric at me right.

I'm not attacking you. I'm just being frank. You think the fact that there were Hispanic people at your job means you "understand them" and somehow makes up for the serious issues your party has with winning over that group?

I live in a majority-minority state. The county where I spent most of my life is 40% Hispanic and only 33% white. I hear Spanish spoken just about as often as I hear English spoken on any given day. But I don't pretend that I as a white person have any business telling Hispanics what issues should matter to them or making false assumptions about them. I don't support laws that make it harder for them to vote. I don't suggest their relatives in Central America are skulking around the deserts of Arizona and Texas with cantaloupe-sized packages of drugs strapped to their legs, as Steve King (R-Iowa) seems to think is happening, or that they are giving birth to "terror babies" who will undermine our nation, as Louie Gohmert (R-Texas does). I don't think the growth of the Hispanic population in America is going to lead to lower average IQs or undermine our "culture" as people like Pat Buchanan and that research fellow at the Heritage Foundation do.

Listen to what Hispanics are saying. Listen to what your party is saying. That should be enough for you to solve for X.
hopper
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2014, 03:31:48 PM »

I did not attend.

IndyTexas there's a bit of truth in your response but the fact is that's probably closer to the truth than the "the white man wants to keep you down!" rhetoric peddled by charlatans like Al Sharpton, and which many people actually believe. It's a cultural matter, and it's an endogenous issue that requires community-based solutions rather than government intervention or a massive push against "white racism".
No he attacked me racially man and I don't like that kinda stuff. See I wouldn't do that to him or any Democrat  identity wise or any INDIE. Martin Luther King once said judge the man by the content of his character not by the color of his skin. That's what I do.  
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2014, 03:34:15 PM »

I actually have a few ideas for GOP minority/youth outreach.

Unfortunately for them, I have no interest in them winning so I won't dare share it anywhere.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2014, 03:36:56 PM »

I did not attend.

Dude screw you you want to attack me racally with the black friend and the landscaper rhetoric. I will not take that crap from you. You think I am not up on that rhetoric or that response? I am knowledgeable  about that rhetoric. You can take that rhetoric and take it back right at yourself. Just because I am a leaning Republican doesn't make you throwing your rhetoric at me right.

IndyTexas, there's a bit of truth in your response but the fact is that's probably closer to the truth than the "the white man wants to keep you down!" rhetoric peddled by charlatans like Al Sharpton, and which many people actually believe. It's a cultural matter, and it's an endogenous issue that requires community-based solutions rather than government intervention or a massive push against "white racism".

Is the GOP more interested in demonising the dehumanised "other" for white votes than actually helping end systemic economic and cultural poverty amongst blacks and Hispanics? Sadly, probably so. But do the Democrats offer much more? Not really.

See, you just proved my point. What "cultural poverty" are you talking about? How is black or Hispanic culture somehow inferior to white culture?

And if neither party is going to solve their economic problems, don't you think they're at least going to vote for the party that doesn't hold them in contempt to the extent that your party does? At least the Democrats don't act as if being anything other than a white, straight Christian in a suburb or rural area makes you less American or prevents you from being part of the "real America" that Republicans love to point to.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2014, 03:38:37 PM »

Hopper, how exactly did I "racially attack" you? That to me implies attacking someone based on their race. And to my knowledge, we are both white and I didn't even discuss being white.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2014, 03:43:51 PM »

'Outreach'... Bah.

Anyway, I thought that it was obvious that a person's lifestyle can have a very great effect upon their ability to climb out of the rat infested sewer of poverty. I mean, whilst they may be big factors, poverty cannot simply be pinned upon bad luck and the nefarious machinations of the 'elites'.
hopper
United States

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2014, 03:48:27 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2014, 03:54:24 PM by hopper »

I did not attend.

I'm not attacking you. I'm just being frank. You think the fact that there were Hispanic people at your job means you "understand them" and somehow makes up for the serious issues your party has with winning over that group?

I live in a majority-minority state. The county where I spent most of my life is 40% Hispanic and only 33% white. I hear Spanish spoken just about as often as I hear English spoken on any given day. But I don't pretend that I as a white person have any business telling Hispanics what issues should matter to them or making false assumptions about them. I don't support laws that make it harder for them to vote. I don't suggest their relatives in Central America are skulking around the deserts of Arizona and Texas with cantaloupe-sized packages of drugs strapped to their legs, as Steve King (R-Iowa) seems to think is happening, or that they are giving birth to "terror babies" who will undermine our nation, as Louie Gohmert (R-Texas does). I don't think the growth of the Hispanic population in America is going to lead to lower average IQs or undermine our "culture" as people like Pat Buchanan and that research fellow at the Heritage Foundation do.

Listen to what Hispanics are saying. Listen to what your party is saying. That should be enough for you to solve for X.
No man I wasn't saying my views or understanding make up for the gap that the GOP has for empathy/votes with the Hispanic Community. That would be extreme. What I was saying was to be more broad was Latino's don't like to be separated from their family members or friends if some of them are here illegally. Republicans don't get that and what they don't get is some latino's who were brought here illegally by their parents some Republicans don't care about that either wether they get deported or not. You can't have that attitude toward people of Hispanic descent that were brought here by their parents illegally. They might not even speak Spanish to start with and to be deported to a country you don't even know. That's going to far for me.

Dude Steve King is on his own with his comments about Hispanics even Cantor and Boehner questioned his comments.

Louie Gohmert is an old guy and his district is close to Deep South territory. Its generational and geographical with him. Buchanan I hold in higher regard than King or Gohmert what he was saying is America as a whole was gonna be like California politically if the minority population keeps on growing like it is currently. I don't know about the IQ comments by him though.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »

'Outreach'... Bah.

Anyway, I thought that it was obvious that a person's lifestyle can have a very great effect upon their ability to climb out of the rat infested sewer of poverty. I mean, whilst they may be big factors, poverty cannot simply be pinned upon bad luck and the nefarious machinations of the 'elites'.

I thought you were cool with the elites?
hopper
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2014, 03:53:04 PM »

Hopper, how exactly did I "racially attack" you? That to me implies attacking someone based on their race. And to my knowledge, we are both white and I didn't even discuss being white.
To be honest racially I thought you were latino. But still the black friend thing is kinda old lingo from the late 80's/early 90's. Never heard of the landscaper saying till you said it but still your statement went to far racially for me. I have listened to Hip-Hop and followed the NBA and NFL for over 20 years so I am very familiar with racial rhetoric like that.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2014, 03:57:52 PM »

'Outreach'... Bah.

I thought you were cool with the elites?

Oh sure I am. In my view, they're a neccessary part of society, the chaps sitting at the top of the pyramid bringing some stability. I mean, where would we, humanity, be without our elites eh? I mean, that last part was a somewhat sarcastic take on the average 'oh no, the evil elite is at it again, ruining our lives whilst they sit in their country houses supping port and smiling'.
hopper
United States

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »

I did not attend.

See, you just proved my point. What "cultural poverty" are you talking about? How is black or Hispanic culture somehow inferior to white culture?

And if neither party is going to solve their economic problems, don't you think they're at least going to vote for the party that doesn't hold them in contempt to the extent that your party does? At least the Democrats don't act as if being anything other than a white, straight Christian in a suburb or rural area makes you less American or prevents you from being part of the "real America" that Republicans love to point to.
Sarah Palin said that. You act as if all Republicans think like that.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2014, 04:32:06 PM »

I have listened to Hip-Hop and followed the NBA and NFL for over 20 years so I am very familiar with racial rhetoric like that.
Wow, just, just, wow, fail at defending your argument.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2014, 04:43:26 PM »

To be honest racially I thought you were latino. But still the black friend thing is kinda old lingo from the late 80's/early 90's. Never heard of the landscaper saying till you said it but still your statement went to far racially for me. I have listened to Hip-Hop and followed the NBA and NFL for over 20 years so I am very familiar with racial rhetoric like that.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2014, 06:24:05 PM »

Well, that's enough Atlas for now.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2014, 10:32:19 PM »

I did not attend.

No man I wasn't saying my views or understanding make up for the gap that the GOP has for empathy/votes with the Hispanic Community. That would be extreme. What I was saying was to be more broad was Latino's don't like to be separated from their family members or friends if some of them are here illegally. Republicans don't get that and what they don't get is some latino's who were brought here illegally by their parents some Republicans don't care about that either wether they get deported or not. You can't have that attitude toward people of Hispanic descent that were brought here by their parents illegally. They might not even speak Spanish to start with and to be deported to a country you don't even know. That's going to far for me.

Dude Steve King is on his own with his comments about Hispanics even Cantor and Boehner questioned his comments.

Louie Gohmert is an old guy and his district is close to Deep South territory. Its generational and geographical with him. Buchanan I hold in higher regard than King or Gohmert what he was saying is America as a whole was gonna be like California politically if the minority population keeps on growing like it is currently. I don't know about the IQ comments by him though.

This wasn't Buchanan's first dance with making racist comments, he has decades of making them.  As far as Gomhert goes, he is 60.  Age shouldn't be used as an excuse anyway on why some comments aren't horrible (oh it's just an old guy), but Louie isn't even old.  He is insane, but he isn't old.

Fact off the matter is, even putting ideology aside (which is another major problem for the GOP), they aren't going to make any headway among minorities until they stop saying stupid s***.   
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2014, 10:35:54 PM »

This thread is an inanity.
hopper
United States

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2014, 11:35:06 PM »

I did not attend.

This wasn't Buchanan's first dance with making racist comments, he has decades of making them.  As far as Gomhert goes, he is 60.  Age shouldn't be used as an excuse anyway on why some comments aren't horrible (oh it's just an old guy), but Louie isn't even old.  He is insane, but he isn't old.

Fact off the matter is, even putting ideology aside (which is another major problem for the GOP), they aren't going to make any headway among minorities until they stop saying stupid s***.   
I thought Gohmert was older than 60 myself. He just looks older than that.

You guys on the Dem side keep on saying stop saying stupid comments but there are always gonna be people on each side of the aisle that say stupid stuff.
hopper
United States

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2014, 11:36:40 PM »

I have listened to Hip-Hop and followed the NBA and NFL for over 20 years so I am very familiar with racial rhetoric like that.
No I didn't fail.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2014, 12:11:55 AM »

No I didn't fail.

Hopper, ITT, you have compared yourself getting criticized by others on this Forum to the struggles of Martin Luther King and black people to overcome racism, Jim Crow and slavery; and you have claimed that listening to Hip-Hop and watching professional sports give you credence to talk about these things, as does the presence of Hispanic people at your former job.

But please, please, keep on digging.
hopper
United States

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2014, 01:06:05 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2014, 01:08:34 AM by hopper »

No I didn't fail.

Hopper, ITT, you have compared yourself getting criticized by others on this Forum to the struggles of Martin Luther King and black people to overcome racism, Jim Crow and slavery; and you have claimed that listening to Hip-Hop and watching professional sports give you credence to talk about these things, as does the presence of Hispanic people at your former job.

But please, please, keep on digging.
No I didn't compare myself to Martin Luther King in entirety. What I said was I don't t judge by their color of their skin like Martin King Luther King did. Heck he did far more than I will ever do. No I didn't compare myself to black people overcoming racism. Never said any word about slavery or Jim Crow in my posts.

That's true about the profressional sports and hip-hop that's fair game.

Indy, if you looked at my post about Hispanics I had said that I knew how they are about the family. That's all I said. I did narrow it down. You could have looked at my post about that.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2014, 09:23:37 AM »

The next time they need offer free food and free booze. Oh, wait, pubs hate handouts.
You Dems(some of you guys) should  be ashamed of what you guys write on this thread. I know you guys want to win on elections at all costs and look at winning elections as a sport. Personal rhetoric   directed at Republicans is no different than the racists you guys like to talk about in the GOP. You guys should check your rhetoric.

Did you just call Grumps a Democrat? lol.
I'm just sick of liberal dem policies in my face all the time. Alright you guys won in 2012 be happy with the victory and stop throwing it in everybody's face. It just seems like you guys like to do that.

"You guys"? I'm a Republican...

Yes, but you're a reasonable one.  Loons like hooper are why I don't affiliate with the pubs anymore and stay strictly Indy.

hooper, try valium, 5mg.  Available at your local Rite Aid.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2014, 10:38:40 AM »

Voters have interests, and most of the time they are self-interests.  If you're going to say right off the bat that their interests aren't worth serving, then you're opting out of competing for their votes and they'll go to someone else.  George W. Bush got lots of Hispanic votes, but that wasn't merely because of his conservative stances on some social issues and threw out some Spanish sentences now and then, but he also backed, and tried to deliver on, comprehensive immigration reform.  If after handsomely endowing the military and doling out tax cuts for business, the GOP has no more "goodies" to give to anyone else, so be it, but they're opting out of getting votes, and in this case, that means opting out of the electoral votes of a bunch of places in the southwest.  If the party has made that decision already, then there is no point holding panels or pretending to do "outreach" or complaining that those voters are going on masse to the other party, or demonizing them for doing so.  It's like refusing to play a game and then blaming someone else for competing or winning it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies