CPAC 'GOP minority outreach' panel goes as well as you'd expect
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:41:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CPAC 'GOP minority outreach' panel goes as well as you'd expect
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: CPAC 'GOP minority outreach' panel goes as well as you'd expect  (Read 7554 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2014, 02:17:04 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Good job, conservatives!  You can do it!  Cheesy

... oh.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 02:56:08 AM »

Should have called it the Benghazi Minority Outreach Panel
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 03:38:58 AM »

Considering Elroy Sailor and Robert Woodson are both non-white, it actually beat my expectations this year.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 04:03:14 AM »

Should have called it the Benghazi Minority Outreach Panel
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 06:30:35 AM »

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/panelists-minority-outreach-goodies

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 06:48:34 AM »

The level of candor is amazing. "We don't win minorities because we don't want to do anything to help them."
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 07:14:22 AM »

It's telling that the GOP thinks minority voters are won over by "goodies." Do they think whites vote for them for that reason?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 07:35:13 AM »

The level of candor is amazing. "We don't win minorities because we don't want to do anything to help them."

From our perspective, of course. From their own viewpoint, the point of not giving the "handout" is so that they must learn to improve themselves on their own. They genuinely believe that giving rich people and businesses less of a tax burden and fewer regulations that this will tangibly help poorer minorities. They aren't entirely wrongheaded there, I have to say. We do need job opportunities for poorer minorities, and, well, perhaps there are better ways to govern that still have adequate safeguards against business-related corruption and abuse that also provide incentives for more generous capitalists to set up shop (they must exist sometimes, right?)

They don't, overall, hate poorer minorities. They just misunderstand their problems in the first place, I think. I don't really understand their problems myself probably. I'm not a poor minority. Maybe I'm giving them too much leeway, but I genuinely believe they think their way really does help people. They see it as the more difficult, honorable way, and our way as the easy way out that doesn't end up doing anyone any good for very long.

It's the old "teach a man to fish" crap. I'd just like to explain to them that it's hard to grasp how to fish when you've nearly starved to death. They don't get that without these "goodies" people are going to die, or, instead of learning to fish, learn to sell drugs. Or something like that. I should avoid molesting proverbs.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 07:38:43 AM »

The issue here is that a minority outreach panel defaults to "minority voters want stuff from the government, unlike our rugged individualist whites” which is kind of racist and shows the usual blind spot to "goodies” the Republican base loves.
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 11:46:56 AM »

The issue here is that a minority outreach panel defaults to "minority voters want stuff from the government, unlike our rugged individualist whites” which is kind of racist and shows the usual blind spot to "goodies” the Republican base loves.

It isn't a "goodie" when the receivers are old white people (like Medicare). It starts being a “goodie” when the recipients are minorities in urban areas (like food stamps).
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 01:32:55 PM »

What about the whole premise that minority = poor person wanting government handouts? Maybe that is part of the problem? Is the reason 90%+ of blacks vote for Dems because they are all getting 'goodies'?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 03:30:58 PM »

It isn't a "goodie" when the receivers are old white people (like Medicare). It starts being a “goodie” when the recipients are minorities in urban areas (like food stamps).

Even poor white trailer trash will take food stamps and government bennies without a second thought. When they get it, they "earned it". It only counts as "welfare" if it's for Shaniqua and her 8 kids in Chicago.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 03:45:36 PM »

I can explain the empty room, at least...

When I was at the Americans for Prosperity summit, I had the option to go to an energy policy panel with Senator Ron Johnson, a panel on the dangers of a solar flare (I kid you not), and a panel on Conservative Humor: How to beat Liberals with Sarcasm, hosted by Greg Gutfield. Guess which panel had 99% of the audience in attendance. I briefly went to the Johnson panel, but when he didn't even show up on time, I went to the Gutfeld one (which was standing room only) and listened from behind the giant screen. I was an inch away from meeting that pretentious midget, as well as the vile Dana Loesch.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 04:42:38 PM »

To be fair, only 47% of the voting populous is male, so the GOP does have a good handle over one minority group...
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 04:50:59 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2014, 04:58:46 PM by anvi »

The government collects tax revenues, so the only essential question on the table after that is who the "goodies" get passed out to.  Those to whom politicians are not willing to hand out goodies will not give them support.  GOP is grasping onto an increasing share of a shrinking market.  Translation: dear GOP, you're laying the groundwork for another bashing in 2016.  Enjoy.
hopper
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 04:57:05 PM »

No Medicare people pay into out of their paychecks. It has nothing to do with color either from the GOP's point of view. I don't think the GOP wants white people living off Government Benes the rest of their life either.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »

Don't we have a thread about this every year during CPAC?

Seems better than last year when that guy complained about how tough it is to be a white male these days...
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 06:25:23 PM »

No Medicare people pay into out of their paychecks. It has nothing to do with color either from the GOP's point of view. I don't think the GOP wants white people living off Government Benes the rest of their life either.

A couple reaching retirement age today, on average, will receive triple the Medicare benefits compared to what they paid in Medicare taxes.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 06:53:23 PM »

"grumblegrumble OBAMAPHONES grumblegrumble" - CPAC attendees on minority outreach
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 09:20:11 PM »

Via Gawker

Yes, because America was such a great place to live in 1814 if you were a black person or a woman or a non-Protestant Christian.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 05:08:32 AM »

Via Gawker

Yes, because America was such a great place to live in 1814 if you were a black person or a woman or a non-Protestant Christian.

It wasn't even until 1856 that all white men could vote. You had to be a property owner.

Fewer than 1 in 10 Americans were eligible to cast a ballot for George Washington.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 08:43:20 AM »

I wonder if they put voters from areas like Rosedale Queens into this category......
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 02:20:16 PM »

I am absolutely loving how slowly... ever so slowly... the Democrats are beginning to control the narrative.

Watching Republicans begin to do what the Dems did for the past 35 years is such sweet victory.
hopper
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 07:14:09 PM »

I am absolutely loving how slowly... ever so slowly... the Democrats are beginning to control the narrative.

Watching Republicans begin to do what the Dems did for the past 35 years is such sweet victory.
Can you go into detail about this statement?

I think the Dems controlling narrative is about them having the liberal media and the demography changes at their back. The other is the Republicans weak messaging and the Republicans totally turning off Hispanics at the polls and also the Republicans not modifying their policies to adapt to the changing demography of the electorate.
hopper
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 07:14:44 PM »

A couple reaching retirement age today, on average, will receive triple the Medicare benefits compared to what they paid in Medicare taxes.
True.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies