J. P. Stevens proposes six new constitutional amendments
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:01:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  J. P. Stevens proposes six new constitutional amendments
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: J. P. Stevens proposes six new constitutional amendments  (Read 7110 times)
badgate
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 12:59:49 AM »

Yeah, God forbid the 2nd Amendment's text actually be accurate to its intent, thereby keeping Americans from continuing with the gross misconception that this amendment is their free pass to own a gun.

I disagree that such was the original intent of the second amendment. At the time the militia was cumpulsory and there was a long history of such local militias being a check on the power of the national authority.

Right-Wing Mythology.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Have you read the Riot Act?

This is the perfect time for you to bring up the Boston Massacre.

Limit the power of the federal government.

Many founders only believed in "god" in the abstract, and when they spoke of it all they really meant was that these rights were naturally endowed in civil society. If they saw modern America they would never have used the word "god" because they've seen the consequences.

Incidentally, did you intentionally not capitalize "god"?

For the record I got that question right without cheating!

Native Americans.

I don't believe that what I said contests this.

Smiley
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 02:18:50 AM »

Yeah, God forbid the 2nd Amendment's text actually be accurate to its intent, thereby keeping Americans from continuing with the gross misconception that this amendment is their free pass to own a gun.

I disagree that such was the original intent of the second amendment. At the time the militia was cumpulsory and there was a long history of such local militias being a check on the power of the national authority.

Right-Wing Mythology.

Which part?

I am fairly certain they were cumpulsory and it is undeniable that the Kings of England made certain decisions based on the size of the militias and the reluctance to tangle with them at a time when the Army was rather small. It still happened of course but it was a limiting factor nonetheless.

Also the militias served to check the ability of the English to enforce the Intolerable Acts and until Lexington and Concord, the British actually would actually avoid conflict. Is that not a limiting factor?

Have you read the Riot Act?

With every right comes certain responsbilities, hence why I support background checks. There has to some limiting principle, but in general though the right is guarranteed to protect people from being disarmed by the state. My point was to bring up the context to illustrate what their contemporay history was at the time.

This is the perfect time for you to bring up the Boston Massacre.

Actually no. The examples citied, involved the militia units turning their weapons on the state. Two decades later, it is enshrined in the Constitution that for the sake of such existing, the people shall not be disarmed. In both MA 1774 and 1775, as well as in England under James II, the national authority tried to disarm the militias.

Limit the power of the federal government.

OF course, we are making some progress I see.

Many founders only believed in "god" in the abstract, and when they spoke of it all they really meant was that these rights were naturally endowed in civil society. If they saw modern America they would never have used the word "god" because they've seen the consequences.

Incidentally, did you intentionally not capitalize "god"?

Same idea basically, the government didn't distribute freedom that was natural. Its job was to secure its people and in the mode least detrimental to those freedoms.

I frankly didn't consider the matter and was in hurry at the time. My expertize is not in religion by any means.

For the record I got that question right without cheating!
It was a rhetorical exercise anyway?

Native Americans.
Who were not even realyl covered by the Constitution at all save maybe with regards to treaties an such forth and thus the second amendment hardly protects against them taking someone's weapons from them.

I don't believe that what I said contests this.
Good to know.

Knew you would appreciate that. Our difference is philosophicla and I am nothing if not pragmatic. Tongue
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 08:08:34 PM »

There are those who criticize the Martin-Quinn scores.  Here's a paper that presents some criticism of M-Q and a proposed alternative:
http://www9.georgetown.edu/faculty/baileyma/CourtPref_July2012.pdf

I can't speak as to the validity of the proposed alternative, but that M-Q indicates that the Court in 1973, the year of both Roe and Furman, was more conservative that it would be in any year for the next three and a half decades certainly indicates there are some flaws in M-Q that should keep anyone from accepting it as a wholly accurate measure to the court's ideological tilt.

Yes, ranking the Court that was constantly overruling the New Deal as more liberal than the Warren Court or even the Burger Court is just weird.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies