Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 04:31:34 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Presidential Election Trends (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King)
| | |-+  rhode island?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: rhode island?  (Read 2220 times)
Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2005, 03:08:13 pm »
Ignore

One problem with this argument about Catholics: Protestants swung to Bush in RI and Catholics stayed at a relatively similar level. This was very unlike the states adjacent to it, but you can see for yourself: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html

Great link.  It was kind of interesting to see how poorly Bush performed among Catholics in Rhode Island, even compared to Massachusetts and particularly Connecticut.

Well I always said Connecticut was superior. Smiley  Right now, unfortunately, politically it's just the best of a bad bunch.

One interesting thing about CT is the vote by income.  The $75k-100k went to Bush +6, the 150k-200k went to Bush by 28, but  in between those two was the 100k-150k which went to Kerry by 37

dazzleman
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2005, 06:16:49 pm »
Ignore

One problem with this argument about Catholics: Protestants swung to Bush in RI and Catholics stayed at a relatively similar level. This was very unlike the states adjacent to it, but you can see for yourself: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html

Great link.  It was kind of interesting to see how poorly Bush performed among Catholics in Rhode Island, even compared to Massachusetts and particularly Connecticut.

Well I always said Connecticut was superior. Smiley  Right now, unfortunately, politically it's just the best of a bad bunch.

One interesting thing about CT is the vote by income.  The $75k-100k went to Bush +6, the 150k-200k went to Bush by 28, but  in between those two was the 100k-150k which went to Kerry by 37

I noticed that too.  Very strange.  I think there's a section of the upper middle class that tends to be very Republican, and once they get beyond that point, they are freer to vote Democratic.  Keep in mind that the purchasing power of those income levels varies widely depending upon section of the state, so it's hard to draw hard conclusions from them.
RomneyGekko Situation Hairgel
Flyers2004
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.87

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2005, 09:11:02 pm »
Ignore

Socially liberal Catholics are in the minority though, just like socially liberal protestants.  The Catholic vote swinging to Bush in New England was masked by Kerry's regional advantage.

Not really.  Most of my friends are Catholic and the vast majority of them are socially liberal, granted most are in their early to mid 20's, but its still true nonetheless

Mine vary quite a bit.  Out of my friends, I am easily one of the more socially liberal.  Funny though none of them I can say are really religious.

DOUCHEBAGGERY AT ITS FINEST!
ian
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 07:59:30 pm »
Ignore

Socially liberal Catholics are in the minority though, just like socially liberal protestants.  The Catholic vote swinging to Bush in New England was masked by Kerry's regional advantage.

Not really.  Most of my friends are Catholic and the vast majority of them are socially liberal, granted most are in their early to mid 20's, but its still true nonetheless

Actual Catholics.  CINO's, like your friends, may be socially liberal.

That's quite an offensive statement.

WHY I'M A DEMOCRAT:
"People who wear Christ on their sleeves and vote against helping people are the biggest hypocrites." - Charlie Melancon, in response to the voting down of the Melancon Amendment to raise levee funding.

For my positions on political issues go to:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=18844.msg405414#msg405414

Registered in Mississippi for fantasy politics.  RL resident of Arkansas.  Kentucky avatar for my fav state!
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2005, 04:29:08 am »
Ignore

People can definitely be religious and left-winged for a variety of reasons.

I don't think we should take the Midatlantic/Lower New England threads seriously yet. I suspect there was an element of those states not being targeted and voting for the incumbent plus proximity to New York.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout