TIMELINE: 2004-2020 - the heart and soul of both parties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:32:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  TIMELINE: 2004-2020 - the heart and soul of both parties
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: TIMELINE: 2004-2020 - the heart and soul of both parties  (Read 19096 times)
dudeabides
Tuvalu
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2014, 12:19:34 AM »

The lead up to January 1, 2003

- December 1, 2002 Gallup poll: Bush approval is at 50% with all Americans; 65% with independents, 55% with republicans, and 30% with democrats.
- Amongst republicans, 31% would support a primary challenge to Bush in 2004
- 25% of republicans view Bush as too liberal, 20% as too conservative

December 5, 2002: John Kerry, John Edwards, and Howard Dean decline to run for President in 2004 as Al Gore makes stops in New Hampshire and South Carolina.

January 17, 2003 - Lincoln Chaffee announces presidential campaign

DOVER, NH - Senator Lincoln Chaffee of Rhode Island announced he would challenge President George W. Bush for the 2004 Republican Presidential Nomination. "As George Bush tries to sell Americans a war in Iraq, he neglects our environment, protects wealthy corporations, and signs tax cuts during a time of war irresponsibly. This is not a path to victory for Republicans, and it's not the America we want for our kids" Chaffee said.

February 2, 2003 - Gore enters presidential race

NASHVILLE, TN - Former Vice President and 2000 Presidential Nominee Al Gore entered the race for the 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination. Gore, citing health care and foreign policy as top campaign issues, said he was the best prepared to lead the nation. "Our country faces challenges like never before. This President's inexperience in leading led us to squander a surplus, cut taxes on the rich, ignore environmental protection, and alienate the world. I have the experience to lead our country, and I'll fight for you every step of the way" Gore declared.

February 18, 2003 - Clark enters presidential race

LITTLE ROCK, AR - Retired General Wesley Clark announced his intention to run for President in 2004. "George Bush's foreign policy has been a miserable failure. His economic policies are hurting our core. I'm Wes Clark. I'm running for President to protect our nation and to restore the American dream" Clark declared.

February 27, 2003 - Pete Wilson enters Presidential Race

SACRAMENTO, CA - Former Governor of California Pete Wilson announced he would challenge President George W. Bush for the 2004 Republican Presidential Nomination. "George Bush believes in amnesty for illegal aliens, massive deficit spending, federalized education, and McCain-Feingold. I believe in limited government and unlimited opportunity. I'm a conservative, the President is not" Wilson told supporters.

March 1, 2003 - McCain: I will support Bush in 2004

TUSCON, AZ - Senator John McCain of Arizona stood with President George W. Bush following a Republican Fundraiser and told reporters he would support President Bush in the 2004 election. "President Bush has been a steady leader in times of great challenge. As our economy grows, I think it's important to continue the progress of the President's first term. I also believe that this President needs my support in foreign affairs as well" McCain stated.

March 15, 2003 - Gephardt launches presidential bid

ST. LOUIS, MO - House Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt entered the 2004 presidential race. "I'll fight to repeal the Bush tax cuts and provide health care for every American. I'll fight to ensure that equal pay is provided for equal work. I believe that America must succeed in Iraq" Gephardt told supporters.

April 2, 2003 - Seen as the liberal alternative to Al Gore, Mario Cuomo enters presidential race

NEW YORK, NY - Former Governor of New York Mario Cuomo entered the 2004 Presidential Race as a liberal alternative to Al Gore. "I'll end the war in Iraq, provide health care to every American, raise the federal minimum wage, continue the assault weapon ban, pass affirmative action, and pass the ERA if elected and I won't apologize for my progressive positions" Cuomo stated.

May 1, 2003 - Bush launches re-election campaign

MIDLAND, TX - Standing beside his family, friends, elected officials in Texas, Vice President Dick Cheney, Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, and Senator John McCain of Arizona, President George W. Bush officially launched his 2004 re-election campaign. "Our country is safer, our people are prospering, and it's because of the strong, effective leadership of this administration. Another term gives us another four years to continue to grow our economy and protect the homeland" Bush told supporters.

May 3, 2003 - Giuliani officially backs Bush

MANCHESTER, NH - Former Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani officially endorsed President George W. Bush's re-election. "This President has been decisive in protecting our country while reducing taxes and opening up our markets to grow our economy. He deserves another four years to lead this country" Giuliani said.

May 12, 2003 - Wilson wins 3 congressional, 1 senatorial endorsements
SACRAMENTO, CA - Pete Wilson's presidential campaign announced that Senator James Inholfe (R-OK), Congressman Duncan Hunter (R-CA), Congressman Tom Tancredo (R-CO), and Congressman Todd Akin (R-MO) would be supporting Wilson for President in 2004.

June 1, 2003 - Miller enters presidential race

ATLANTA, GA - Attacking his party's liberal wing, Senator Zell Miller of Georgia announced he would seek his party's presidential nomination in 2004. "I am a Bill Clinton/Harry Truman Democrat. Our party must be the party of a strong national defense, fiscal discipline, but also expanded health care coverage for the poor and environmental protection" Miller declared.

June 10, 2003 - Lieberman endorses Bush, joins GOP

WASHINGTON, DC - Senator Joe Lieberman announced he would join the Republican Party and support the re-election of President George W. Bush. "I did not leave the Democratic Party, the values of the party changed and I'm not willing to lie about what I stand for" Lieberman said. "I don't always agree with George W. Bush, but I do on Iraq and on foreign policy in general" Lieberman added.

June 21, 2003 - Poll finds Bush, Gore likely to have rematch in 2004

GOP Nomination
George W. Bush 47%
Pete Wilson 30%
Lincoln Chaffee 23%

Democratic Nomination
Al Gore 35%
Wesley Clark 25%
Mario Cuomo 21%
Richard Gephardt 10%
Zell Miller 8%
Other 1%

July 2, 2003 - Cheney to retire in January 2005

WASHINGTON, DC - Vice President Dick Cheney announced he would not be on the 2004 presidential ticket with George W. Bush. Cheney said he would serve the remainder of his term, but wanted to spend more time with his family after January of 2005.

July 5, 2003 - GOP SOURCE: Bush between seven candidate for Vice Presidential Nomination
WASHINGTON, DC - A GOP source said President George W. Bush had told GOP leaders he was between choosing between seven different candidates in terms of his 2004 running-mate. The choices are:

Rudy Giuliani, Former NYC Mayor
 Rick Santorum, U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania
 Bill Frist, U.S. Senate Majority Leader
 John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona
 Mary Bono Mack, Congresswoman from California
 James Baker, Former U.S. Secretary of State
 Condi Rice, National Security Advisor
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 01:02:39 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2014, 01:08:06 PM by dudeabides »

August 5, 2003 - Bush wins Ames, IA straw poll

AMES, IA - Despite a primary challenge from Lincoln Chaffe on the left and Pete Wilson on the right, President George W. Bush won the Ames, IA Presidential Straw Poll. Bush won 2,200 votes while Wilson lagged behind at 602 and Chaffee won just 91 votes.

August 10, 2003 - Sparks fly in Democratic Primary as race becomes negative

MANCHESTER, NH - The race for the 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination took an ugly turn when Al Gore responded to attacks from opponents Richard Gephardt, Wesley Clark, and Zell Miller. Miller, running to Gore's right, attacked Gore as too liberal for the country, while also going after Gore for his opposition to the war in Iraq and his health care plan which Miller called "socialized medicine." Mean while, Wesley Clark said Gore could not beat President George W. Bush in the 2004 election because of his failed 2000 presidential bid. Richard Gephardt attacked Gore as standing up for "the well connected in Washington, large corporations, and the establishment in the Democratic Party" when he went after Gore's support for free trade. Gore responded by telling voters that he was the best qualified candidate for President, and he directly responded to Dick Gephardt by saying that "Leader Gephardt has presided over one of the worst performances in an election for our party in our lives, and he opposed the Clinton/Gore economic policies which created 20 million jobs."

August 12, 2003 - Former Clinton official backs Gore for 2004

IOWA CITY, IA - Governor of New Mexico and Former Secretary of Energy Bill Richardson formally endorsed Al Gore's presidential campaign. "Al Gore has a record of fighting for working families. He has the judgement to say to George Bush: Iraq is a diversion from the real war on terror. Al Gore has the experience and the judgement to lead in a time of great challenge" Richardson stated.

August 15, 2003 - Clark wins endorsement from Senator John Kerry

NASHUA, NH - Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts endorsed Wesley Clark for the 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination. Kerry said that Clark "is the candidate in this race who can bring a lifetime of service to America and apply it to serving in the highest office in the land."

August 23, 2003 - Wilson attacks Bush on immigration near border

SAN DEIGO, CA - Republican Presidential Hopeful Pete Wilson said if elected President, he would fight to build a border fence across the entire length of the southern U.S. He also pledged to increase funding for catch and release programs. Additionally, Wilson attacked President Bush's "do nothing but amnesty attitude" on immigration policy.

September 1, 2003 - Poll: Bush approval increases with independents, slightly decreases with GOP and Democrats

Overall Approval: 50%
With Independents: 71%
With Republicans: 51%
With Democrats: 28%

September 8, 2003 - Chaffee calls for end to war in Iraq

DETROIT, MI - Republican Presidential Hopeful Lincoln Chaffee called on President George W. Bush to end the war in Iraq within a year. "I voted against the war because I felt this administration didn't give peace a chance. I believe this President must announce a withdrawal from Iraq by this time next year" Chaffee added.

September 18, 2003 - Poll: Clark, Bush most electable for 2004

General Election Match Ups

Wesley Clark 47%
George W. Bush 45%

Wesley Clark 57%
Pete Wilson 29%

Wesley Clark 57%
Lincoln Chaffee 30%

George W. Bush 47%
Al Gore 44%

Al Gore 55%
Pete Wilson 37%

Al Gore 56%
Lincoln Chaffee 38%

George W. Bush 47%
Richard Gephardt 41%

September 19, 2003 - Clark lays out presidential agenda in New Hampshire speech

DOVER, NH - Retired General Wesley Clark said that his top priorities if elected President would be to end the war in Iraq within 15 months of his taking office, cutting income taxes by 18% across the board for those making less than $250,000 per year and allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire for high income earners, providing funding for job training, expanding health care access for the poor, and balancing the federal budget by capping federal spending at 15% of GDP.

September 22, 2003 - Clark surges in '04 Democratic Primary

LITTLE ROCK, AR - The campaign of Democratic Presidential Hopeful Wesley Clark surged ahead of the rest of the pack other than Al Gore in the polls, according to the Clark campaign. "We have internal polling showing us ahead of everyone except Gore nationally, and Gore's lead nationally has dropped from a twelve point lead he had over us in July, to just two points now. Additionally, for the first time, we find ourselves ahead of Al Gore in New Hampshire, which Gallup has also shown. We are tied with Al Gore in South Carolina as well. Additionally, as CNN's poll found, we do best against George W. Bush" Clark pollster Adam Gravel stated. "Additionally, we've raised over $1.2 million since the poll was released showing General Clark was the only democrat who could beat President Bush - and that was just three days ago" Gravel added. He also said that "The bottom line is this: Wesley Clark will end the war in Iraq and fight to expand health care access and job opportunities to all Americans while balancing the budget. Al Gore has not put forth a bold economic plan. Wes Clark can beat George Bush, Al Gore has proven he can't."

October 1, 2003 - Bush attacks Gore, Clark in speech to GOP activists

NEW YORK, NY - At a speech to CPAC New York, President George W. Bush attacked two of his potential general election rivals while largely ignoring his primary challengers. "We've reduced taxes, increased choice and accountability in education, opened up our markets, and we are defending this country in a time of war. Both Vice President Gore and General Clark believe in partisan politics. They believe that by taxing the rich and regulating more will grow our economy. They believe government should tax more, spend more, regulate more, and litigate more, I don't agree with their far left wing views" Bush said.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 01:17:24 PM »

Mario Cuomo is a weird Candidate, why not Andrew?
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 03:22:08 AM »

Mario Cuomo is a weird Candidate, why not Andrew?

In '04 Andrew was not yet Governor

October 5, 2003 - Democrats make their case in first televised debate

"In the U.S. Senate I fought Ronald Reagan's cuts to health care and education. As Vice President, I fought for free trade and tax relief which led to the creation of 20 million American jobs. I took on the gun lobby and we passed the assault weapon ban. I have the experience to be President of the United States" - Al Gore

"The Democratic Party has a choice to make. We can continue to lose elections, or we can win by standing up and speaking out on the issues we care about. Let's end the war in Iraq, expand access to quality health care for the poor, and balance our budget while cutting middle class taxes by reversing the tax cuts on the wealthy. If you want to win in 2004 and restore the American dream, I'm your candidate" - Wesley Clark

"Al Gore and I do differ on the issues. I believe that we need to enforce unfair trade agreements and repeal them if need be. I believe we should raise our minimum wage and fight for an international minimum wage. America needs to compete again, and unfortunately, while I've fought George Bush and yes, Bill Clinton, Al Gore has stood in the way. Working families deserve better than Al Gore's corporatism" - Dick Gephardt

"Al Gore and Wesley Clark both talk about winning in 2004. Socialized medicine, surrender in Iraq, and massive deficit spending proposals won't win us the '04 election. We need a democratic nominee who will say: George Bush is wrong to ignore our environment, to not pay for tax cuts, to create a federally mandated education system, and to neglect women's health. But, at the same time, George Bush is right on Iraq and the war on terrorism. We need someone with the courage to speak the truth" - Zell Miller

"As President of the United States, my top priorities will be an end to George Bush's Iraqi occupation, health care for all, a higher minimum wage, a cap and trade law, an extension of the '94 assault weapon ban, and universal Pre-K in our schools. Progressives deserve a choice in this election, and I offer them just that" - Mario Cuomo

October 12, 2003 - King backs President Bush for re-election

DOVER, NH - Congressman Peter King of New York backed the re-election of President George W. Bush, calling Bush "a courageous and decisive conservative leader in challenging times".

October 20, 2003 - Cheney goes negative on Pete Wilson

WASHINGTON, DC - Vice President Dick Cheney told the National Press Club that GOP Presidential Hopeful Pete Wilson was unelectable in a general election. "The fact is, Pete Wilson is not electable. He doesn't have consistent principles on economic issues, he says he's for tax cuts accompanied by spending restraint, but during the course of this campaign he has said he supports a 12% flat tax, but has no way to pay for it - he's not a credible general election candidate" Cheney said.

November 2, 2003 - Tancredo backs Wilson for President

DENVER, CO - Congressman Tom Tancredo backed the presidential campaign of Pete Wilson. "While George Bush has pushed amnesty for illegal aliens, Pete Wilson has spent nearly 25 years fighting for a border fence and was the only Governor in America who saw such a drastic reduction in illegal immigration to his state" Tancredo stated.

November 10, 2003 - Bush wins support from GOP Senators, House Members, Governors

WASHINGTON, DC - All but one GOP Governor, 53 of the 55 Republican U.S. Senators, and all but 3 U.S. House members signed a letter endorsing President George W. Bush's re-election. Only Governor of Indiana Joe E. Kernan, Senator Susan Collins of Maine, opponent Senator Lincoln Chaffee, Congressman Tom Tancredo of Colorado, Congressman Ron Paul of Texas, Congressman Frank LoBiondo of New Jersey, and Congressman Mike Castle of Delaware declined to sign the letter of support of President Bush's re-election efforts.

December 14, 2003 - Following capture of Saddam Hussein, Bush surges ahead in approval rating & primary polls

Bush Approval
Approve: 59%
Disapprove: 19%

GOP Presidential Nomination
George W. Bush 60%
Pete Wilson 21%
Lincoln Chafee 18%
Other 2%

December 17, 2003 - Wilson ends Presidential bid, backs Bush for re-election

SACRAMENTO, CA - Former Governor of California Pete Wilson ended his 2004 presidential campaign and endorsed the re-election of President George W. Bush. "The other day, world history was made as Americans captured a brutal terrorist in Iraq. This reminds us all that our world is a dangerous place. It also reminds us that politics is not as important as freedom. Our President has put the freedom of our people, as well as those 25 million newly-freed Iraqis, above his politics. The President needs our support, and so today I announce I am ending my presidential campaign and endorsing President Bush's re-election. On issues like illegal immigration and education policy, I don't agree with this President. But, I have been consistent in voicing my ongoing support of his foreign policy. I know he will continue to protect our country" Wilson stated.

Lincoln Chafee: The two man race is on

PROVIDENCE, RI - Following Pete Wilson's announcement he was ending his 2004 presidential campaign, GOP Presidential Hopeful Lincoln Chaffee told reporters he looked forward to having a two-man race. "President Bush believes we need to continue to occupy Iraq, ignore environmental concerns here at home, cut taxes without actually paying for the tax cut in corresponding cuts in federal spending, and he believes that judges deserve litmus tests. These are the positions I am challenging, and we are going to win the nomination" Chaffee stated.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 06:34:10 PM »

December 23, 2003 - Clark takes lead for '04 Democratic Presidential Nomination
LITTLE ROCK, AR - Wesley Clark's campaign took pride in a new gallup poll finding Clark leading opponent Al Gore for the first time in the presidential race. "Nationally, we now lead Al Gore by 3 points according to the Gallup poll, 33%-30%" Clark pollster Adam Gravel stated. Behind Clark at 33% and Gore at 30% were Richard Gephardt and Mario Cuomo tied at 12% each and Zell Miller at 10%. 3% supported another candidate or were undecided.

January 2, 2003 - Fearful of Clark's surge, Gore goes negative
NASHVILLE, TN - Al Gore's 2004 presidential campaign released the following ad:

Gore: I'm Al Gore and I approve this message
Narrator: 2001. Wesley Clark calls President Bush and his administration "a wonderful team." 2002: Clark considers joining the republicans. 2003: Clark runs for President as a Democrat, yet he opposes Al Gore's health care plan to cover all Americans with health insurance. Clark admits he's never had experience running anything.
Narrarator: Wesley Clark. Inexperienced. Inconsistent.

January 5, 2004 - As Bill Clinton stays neutral, Hillary endorses

DES MOINES, IA - Senator Hillary Clinton of New York endorsed Wesley Clark for the 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination. "Wesley Clark has a lifetime of service to America to run on. He'll bring a new vision to the white house. Wes Clark understands the failures of the Bush administration, and he's the best candidate to beat George Bush and led America" Clinton said of Clark.

January 8, 2004 - Cuomo sees last minute New Hampshire surge, wins Bradley endorsement

MANCHESTER, NH - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Mario Cuomo saw a virtually overnight surge in New Hampshire surge. According to a WMUR/Union Leader poll, Cuomo went from being in fourth place on December 20, to 2nd place behind Wesley Clark in New Hampshire. Cuomo also announced he won the endorsement of Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley, who called Cuomo a "tireless champion for the ideals that have made America great."

Bush, Gore win Iowa Caucus

IOWA - Former Vice President Al Gore and President George W. Bush each won their party's Iowa caucuses. On the GOP side, Bush defeated opponent Lincoln Chafee 81%-17%. On the democratic side, Gore won 31% of the vote, ahead of Wesley Clark at 29%, Richard Gephardt at 20%, Mario Cuomo at 12%, and Zell Miller at 7%.

Bush wins all GOP contests, Chafee has better than expected New Hampshire showing, Gore and Clark split victories, Gephardt wins home state

JANUARY 29, 2004 - President George W. Bush won decisive victories towards the GOP Presidential Nomination in New Hampshire, Arizona, Delaware, and Missouri. Bush garnered over 80% of the republican vote in Arizona and Missouri and he defeated Lincoln Chafee 77%-21% in Delaware. In New Hampshire, Chafee's campaign showed strength - Bush won 61% of the vote to Chafee's 37%, a better than expected showing for Chafee. On the Democratic Side, Dick Gephardt won his home state of Missouri with 67% of the vote. In Delaware, Al Gore narrowly beat Wesley Clark 37%-36% with other candidates lagging behind. In Arizona, Clark beat Gore 40%-30% with the other candidates lagging behind. As expected, Wesley Clark won 30% of the vote and was crowned the victor in New Hampshire. But, his margin of victory was just 2 points - Mario Cuomo won 28% of the vote. Gore, Gephardt, and Miller all lagged behind.

February 2, 2004 - Miller ends presidential campaign, backs President Bush

CHARLESTON, SC- Senator Zell Miller ended his 2004 presidential campaign and endorsed President George W. Bush for re-election. "I didn't leave my party, my party left me" Miller stated. "The truth is, President George W. Bush is simply a better leader than Al Gore. President Bush understands economic policy better than Wesley Clark" Miller added.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 08:01:22 PM »

One disagreement only - Miller would have gone for the GOP many centuries earlier than Lieberman. Lieberman would shoot his own feet by becoming a Republican before 2006!
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 09:10:33 PM »

One disagreement only - Miller would have gone for the GOP many centuries earlier than Lieberman. Lieberman would shoot his own feet by becoming a Republican before 2006!

My reason for that is Lieberman would not have run against Gore in a primary, but good point I guess I could've done that differently.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 09:40:39 PM »

February 3, 2004 - Mini Tuesday

States won by George W. Bush
New Mexico - Bush 83% Chafee 14%
North Dakota - Bush 97% Chafee 1%
Oklahoma - Bush 98% Chafee 0.2%
South Carolina - Bush 85% Chafee 12%
Michigan - Bush 79% Chafee 20%
Washington - Bush 74% Chafee 25%

States won by Wesley Clark
Oklahoma - Clark 47% Gore 30% Gephardt 20% Cuomo 2%
South Carolina - Clark 36% Gore 32% Gephardt 24% Cuomo 7%
Michigan - Clark 41% Gore 30% Gephardt 20% Cuomo 8%

States won by Al Gore
New Mexico - Gore 50% Clark 30% Gephardt 12% Cuomo 6%
North Dakota - Gore 55% Clark 30% Cuomo 12% Gephardt 2%

States won by Mario Cuomo
Washington - Cuomo 34% Clark 32% Gore 29% Gephardt 4%

Lincoln Chafee ends presidential bid

SANTA FE, NM - Senator Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island ended his 2004 presidential campaign.

President Bush secures GOP Presidential Nomination

CHARLESTON, SC - President George W. Bush became the presumptive nominee of the Republican Party in the 2004 presidential election following Lincoln Chafee's withdrawal from the presidential race. "Tonight, you have humbled me. We move forward bringing our message of hope, optimism, and continuing to grow our economy and protect our country across the nation" the President said.

February 5, 2004 - Gephardt ends presidential bid

WASHINGTON, DC - House Democratic Leader Richard Gephardt exited the presidential race.

February 10, 2004 - Gore wins trio of primaries

NASHVILLE, TN - Al Gore won victories in his home state of Tennessee, Maine, and Virginia. In Tennessee, Gore won 81% of the vote, followed by Wesley Clark at 10% and Mario Cuomo at 7%. In Virginia, Gore won 40% of the vote, followed by Clark at 30% and Cuomo at 27%. In Maine, Gore beat Cuomo 41%-39% with Clark finishing at 19%.

February 11, 2004 - Corzine backs Clark

MADISON, WI - Senator Jon Corzine of New Jersey endorsed Wesley Clark for the 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination. "Wes Clark will be a champion for American families. He had the courage to stand up to George Bush on Iraq, and now he's standing up to George Bush's insistence that we stay in Iraq indefinitely without a plan to exit" Corzine stated.

February 12, 2004 - Gore wins backing of Feingold ahead of Wisconin, other primaries

MILWAUKEE, WI - Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin backed Al Gore's 2004 presidential campaign, calling Gore "the person to end the war in Iraq and provide everyone in America with health care."

February 17, 2004 - Clark wins trio of primaries

GREEN BAY, WI - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Wesley Clark secured victories in Wisconsin, Washington D.C, and Nevada. Clark narrowly beat Al Gore in Wisconsin, 40%-39% (with Mario Cuomo at 20%), but won by comfortable margins in D.C. (50%-31%-18% over Gore and Cuomo), and in Nevada (44%-30%-15% over Gore and Cuomo).

February 19, 2004 - Mario Cuomo ends presidential campaign, backs Wesley Clark for President

ALBANY, NY - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Mario Cuomo ended his presidential campaign and pledged to support fellow candidate Wesley Clark.

February 20, 2004 - Bush hits Gore, Clark on Iraq, taxes

CLEVELAND, OH - At a campaign event in Cleveland, Ohio, President George W. Bush attacked his opponents positions on the war in Iraq and tax policy. "My opponents in the democrat party believe that we should announce a withdrawal from Iraq. We are succeeding in Iraq. We will succeed in Iraq. I will not announce a date for withdrawal because we are going to win victory. Here at home, both of them opposed my tax cuts. Al Gore has proposed a tax plan which he claims will reduce taxes, but it's going to raise taxes by 15% on businesses making more than $200,000 per year. They believe in higher taxes, and that's not going to continue to grow this economy" the President said.

February 22, 2004 - Bush campaign launches ad touting President's record, attacking opponents

Bush: I'm President Bush and I approve this message
Narrator 1: Our economy is growing. More and more Americans are going back to work. Taxes are lower. Home ownership is at an all time high. Under President Bush's leadership, America is prospering
Narrator 2: Al Gore's economic plan would raise taxes during a time of economic recovery and prosperity. Gore's $700 billion tax increase would hurt small businesses. Gore's health care scheme would force the government to make choices for your family.
Narrator 3: Similarly, Wesley Clark's tax plan would also raise taxes on small business. Clark says he'd be fine raising taxes on businesses even more. and Clark's new spending would increase federal expenditures by 10% in just three years.
Narrator 4: The Democratic Presidential Candidates: higher taxes. more government. less prosperity.
Narrator 5: President Bush. Steady leadership in times of change.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 10:38:37 AM »

February 24, 2004 - Clark wins Idaho, Utah as Gore wins Hawaii

Idaho - Wesley Clark 50% Al Gore 47%
Utah - Wesley Clark 55% Al Gore 44%
Hawaii - Al Gore 60% Wesley Clark 38%

February 25, 2004 - Dean endorses Gore for President

BURLINGTON, VT - Former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean endorsed Al Gore for the 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination. "Al Gore has the experience to lead, and I know he can win because he beat George Bush in the year 2000" Dean said of Gore.

March 2, 2004 - Clark, Gore compete for Super Tuesday Victories

States won by Wesley Clark
Georgia - Wesley Clark 54% Al Gore 43%
New York - Wesley Clark 49.7% Al Gore 49.5%
Ohio - Wesley Clark 52% Al Gore 47%
Maryland - Wesley Clark 51% Al Gore 48%
Minnesota - Wesley Clark 57% Al Gore 41%
Florida - Wesley Clark 50% Al Gore 48%
Louisiana - Wesley Clark 57% Al Gore 41%

States won by Al Gore
California - Al Gore 62% Wesley Clark 37%
Connecticut - Al Gore 53% Wesley Clark 45%
Massachusetts - Al Gore 50% Wesley Clark 48%
Rhode Island - Al Gore 59% Wesley Clark 40%
Vermont - Al Gore 51% Wesley Clark 48%

March 4, 2004 - Poll: Bush approval surges, looks good for 2004, Democrats divided

WASHINGTON, DC - A Gallup survey had good news for President George W. Bush. The republican president's approval rating hit 62%, the highest in more than a year and a half. Additionally, Bush took his largest polling lead over his Democratic challengers. Bush would beat Al Gore 48%-41% if the election were held now, and Bush's lead over Wesley Clark was strong at 47%-42%. Clark and Gore are still battling for the Democratic Presidential Nomination. Clark leads Gore 48%-45% nationally. While Gore and Clark are virtually tied with registered democrats, Clark's lead with independent voters gives him the edge. However, independent voters would still vote to re-elect President Bush over either Gore or Clark, though Clark closes the gap with Bush amongst independents.

March 5, 2004 - Gephardt endorses Clark, calls for Gore to withdrawal from presidential race

WASHINGTON, DC - At a press conference in Washington, Former Presidential Hopeful & Democratic House Leader Dick Gephardt endorsed Wesley Clark for President and called on Al Gore to end his presidential campaign. "This election is about the future of this great country, and Wesley Clark has been tested and is ready to beat George Bush and restore our middle class and leadership abroad" Gephardt said of Clark. "Al Gore can't beat George Bush and now that Wesley Clark is going to be our nominee, it's time for Al to concede defeat and for us all to rally behind General Clark's presidential campaign" Gephardt added.

March 9, 2004 - Clark wins Texas, Mississippi Primaries

AUSTIN, TX - Wesley Clark won primaries in Texas (Clark 53% - Gore 45%) and in Missisippi (Clark 57% - Gore 41%).

March 10, 2004 - Team Bush shifting strategy away from Gore

PITTSBURG, PA - Campaigning in Pennsylvania, President George W. Bush virtually ignored Al Gore and took swipes at Wesley Clark. "Wesley Clark is to be thanked for his service to our nation. But, on the issues, he is the wrong person for President. Wes Clark has proposed $400 billion in new spending. He's proposed raising taxes on thousands of American businesses during a time of economic recovery. He's voiced support for cap and trade, a tax on American businesses and consumers. He has changed positions on the war in Iraq, first calling for a UN based resolution similar to the one I brought to congress, but then he said he opposed our mission in Iraq.  He's proposed withdrawing from Iraq in a way that undermines our mission there. I will continue to fight to keep taxes low and grow our economy while winning in Iraq" the President stated.

March 12, 2004 - With calls to withdrawal from insiders & Gephardt, Gore commits to staying in race until June 8

NASHVILLE, TN - Former Vice President Al Gore resisted calls to end his presidential campaign and pledged to stay in the race for the Democratic Presidential Nomination until June 8th, when all the primaries and caucuses would be held.

March 13, 2004 - Zell Miller blasts former rivals

WASHINGTON, DC - Senator Zell Miller of Georgia went after his former Democratic rivals. "The fact is, Al Gore held this nation hostage for weeks after the election in 2000, he's a sore loser, he's not a class act, and his own selfishness caused him to make this country look bad just because he is too arrogant to admit he ran a lousy campaign, no one likes him, and President Bush won" Miller said of Gore. "The votes he did get were 100% because of Bill Clinton, Al is not a leader, he's arrogant and that's why he lost, not because of Florida" Miller added. On Wesley Clark, Miller said, "I have the utmost respect for Wesley Clark, but he's another one of these guys who want to end the war in Iraq because it sounds good in a 30 second tv ad, not because it reflects the realities of what's going on there."
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 07:19:14 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2014, 07:26:11 PM by dudeabides »

March 16, 2004 - Clark wins Illinois, Kansas

CHICAGO, IL - Democratic Presidential Wesley Clark swept contests in Illinois and Kansas. He won Illinois 57%-42% over Al Gore, and won 60%-38% over Gore in Kansas.

March 18, 2004 - Clark bashes Bush on economy, talks economic plan

BOSTON, MA - At a campaign speech in Boston, MA, Wesley Clark attacked President Bush's handling of the economy and went into greater detail of his plan. "George Bush's tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans have not trickled down. We are lagging behind every recovery since the depression. The wealth gap is growing. Our debt is rising. Health care costs continue to be a concern for folks" Clark said. In order to grow the economy, Clark said he's pass his tax cut plan, reduce the corporate tax rate from 35%-23%, allocate $25 billion towards alternative sources of energy, increase job training programs, create new tax credits for small businesses who expand, and raise the federal minimum wage to $8.00 phased in over four years.

March 19, 2004 - Reno backs Clark, calls on Gore to withdrawal

MIAMI BEACH, FL - Former U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno endorsed Wesley Clark for President and called on Al Gore to end his presidential campaign. "Wesley Clark is the democrat who is going to beat George W. Bush and restore integrity to the white house" Reno said of Clark. Reno also said that "Al Gore should end his presidential campaign and endorse Wesley Clark so we can raise the needed money and have the necessary momentum to win in November."

March 20, 2004 - Clark wins victories in Alaska, Wyoming
MOORESTOWN, AK - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Wesley Clark defeated opponent Al Gore 61%-38% in Alaska and 55%-44% in Wyoming in presidential primaries.

March 21, 2004 - Al Gore focuses in on Colorado, North Carolina to revive campaign

DENVER, CO - Former Vice President Al Gore will focus heavily on Colorado and North Carolina, the next two presidential primaries, to revive his campaign. Gore, campaigning as an opponent of the war in Iraq, a proponent of universal health care, and as a staunch environmentalist told supporters in Denver "I'm the only candidate in this race with experience to lead on the issues we all care about."

March 23, 2004 - Bush: the general election has begun

WASHINGTOn, DC - President George W. Bush told reporters at a white house press conference he felt the 2004 general election had begun. "Vice President Gore is to be congratulated for waging a spirited campaign, and General Clark is to be congratulated on his nomination. Wes Clark is an honorable man who has served his country. But his vision of higher taxes, more federal spending, more federal intrusion, and a hasty withdrawal from Iraq is very different from mine" Bush said.

March 27, 2004 - Clark wins North Carolina, Colorado
CHAPEL HILL, NC - Wesley Clark defeated Al Gore 51%-48% in North Carolina and 54%-45% in Colorado to secure two more victories.

March 29, 2004 - Al Gore ends presidential campaign, promises Clark support

NASHVILLE, TN - Former Vice President Al Gore ended his third presidential campaign, thanking supporters and pledging to support Wesley Clark as the 2004 Democratic Presidential Nominee.

Wesley Clark secures 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination

LITTLE ROCK, AR - Retired General Wesley Clark clinched the Democratic Presidential Nomination after Al Gore conceded the nomination to him. Officially, Clark is 107 delegates short, but he is the only remaining candidate in the race. "George Bush and I view things in a different way. He believes that by cutting taxes on the wealthy, by continuing the same policy in Iraq, and by ignoring the will of the people, we will be better off. I believe that we as a country must unite. We need to implement policies not just to help the well to do, but to help you. I will be a President who represents the 100%, not just the 1%" Clark told supporters.

April 2, 2004 - Poll: Nation Divided in Presidential Race, Iraq

WASHINGTON, DC - A Gallup poll found the election between President George W. Bush (R-TX) and Retired General Wesley Clark (D-AR) was a draw. Bush's 5 point lead over Clark shrunk to a 1 point lead 48%-47%, well within the poll's margin of error. Each candidate had the overwhelming support of their party's - 95% of republicans said they'd support the President's re-election, while 89% of democrats voiced their support for Wesley Clark. Additionally, the race was close with independent voters - Bush leads Clark 49%-47% with independents. President Bush's approval rating is 57%, with 39% disapproving of the President's job performance. However, for the first time since the war in Iraq began, a majority oppose the war - 51% of Americans voiced opposition to the war, while just 45% say they support the war.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 09:17:48 AM »

Great!
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »

Thank You!

May 1, 2004 - A nation divided, according to Gallup

WASHINGTON, DC - The Gallup organization released a poll showing that 53% of Americans  now opposed the war in Iraq, while just 42% supported the war. President George W. Bush's presidential approval ratings remained steady at 53%. If the 2004 presidential election were held, President Bush would defeat Democratic Nominee Wesley Clark 47%-46%.

May 15, 2004 - Clark taps Gephardt for V.P. Search Committee

LITTLE ROCK, AR - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Wesley Clark tapped Democratic House Leader Dick Gephardt to lead his vice presidential search committee. Pundits believe that Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts, Senator Hillary Clinton of New York, Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana, Governor Mark Warner of Virginia, Former U.N. Ambassador Carol Mousely Braunn, Former Governor Howard Dean of Vermont, Senator Joe Biden of Delaware, and Gephardt himself are on Clark's Vice Presidential Shortlist.

May 23, 2004 - Santorum campaigns with Bush, says no to Vice Presidency

PHILADELPHIA, PA - Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania campaigned with President George W. Bush, but said he had no interest in being Vice President of the United States.

June 5, 2004 - Clark lays out Iraq policy

CLEVELAND, OH - Democratic Presidential Wesley Clark laid out his Iraq policy clearly. Clark said he would train the Iraqi police force to take over security operations, and he would sanction any country which sought to interfere with Iraq's progress into democracy. However, Clark said that by May of 2006, he expected to have all but 12,000 special forces out of Iraq.

June 18, 2004 - Gore campaigns for Clark in Iowa

IOWA CITY, IA - Former Vice President Al Gore made his first public appearance outside of television interviews campaigning for former rival Wesley Clark. Gore emphasized the war in Iraq as a top campaign issue.

July 5, 2004 - Clark taps Corzine for Vice President

HOBOKEN, NJ - Democratic Presidential Nominee Wesley Clark asked Senator Jon Corzine of New Jersey to join him on the Democratic ticket in 2004. Corzine, who spent his career in the private sector before winning a U.S. Senate seat in 2000, is seen as to the left of Clark. "Jon Corzine has the experience and knowledge of our economy to put us on the path to restoring the American dream. He knows the need to keep America strong in the world. Jon Corzine had the courage to vote against George Bush's war in Iraq" Clark said of Corzine.

July 8, 2004 - President Bush picks McCain for Vice President

LEBANON, NH - President George W. Bush selected Senator John McCain as his running-mate in the 2004 presidential election. "John McCain has the courage to lead. He's been a fighter for our country his entire adult life. He has a lot of experience on a host of issues" the President said of McCain. Bush's selection of McCain is seen as countering Wesley Clark's military record, as well as the Bush campaign's attempt at reaching independent voters.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 12:55:20 AM »

July 15, 2004 - Clark: Election a referendum on Iraq

CHAPEL HILL, NC - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Wesley Clark told a North Carolina audience that the Iraq War was going to be the dominant issue in the 2004 election. "My running-mate and I opposed the war from the start because we believe this President rushed us into war. Now, we are proposing a plan to train the Iraqis to protect themselves and bring our troops home by 2006. This President hasn't set a date to withdrawal from Iraq, and he has no plan for victory" Clark said of Bush.

July 23, 2004 - McCain hits Clark on economy

BOCA RATON, FL - Republican Vice President Nominee John McCain told a Florida crowd that Democrat Wesley Clark was unqualified to be President on the economy. "For four years, President Bush has worked to keep taxes down while opening up our markets. Our opponents believe in raising taxes on American businesses, despite the fact we've created 1.5 million jobs since last summer" McCain said. "This election presents a clear choice on the economy. We stand for lower taxes, job training programs, energy independence, and free trade. They stand for higher taxes, more regulation, and more litigation" he added.

August 1, 2004 - POLL: Americans happier with economy, but not Iraq, Bush. Clark leads in presidential race by largest margin of election

WASHINGTON, DC - A poll released by CNN showed that 59% of Americans said the economy was strong, the largest number since June of 1999. At the same time, 61% of Americans said they viewed the economy as heading in the right direction. However, a record 57% of Americans believe that the U.S. is losing in Iraq, and the war's disapproval hit a record 53%. In the race for President, Democratic challenger Wesley Clark's lead over President tripled from June - In a CNN poll released June 10, Clark led Bush 48%-46%. That lead grew to 48%-42% over the incumbent President.

August 7, 2004 - Lugar turns against Iraq War, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld

WASHINGTON, DC - Senator Richard Lugar of Indiana said that the War in Iraq was "being mishandled" and that "Donald Rumsfeld needs to resign".

August 10, 2004 - Clark calls for Bush to fire Rumsfeld

RICHMOND, VA - Democratic Presidential Nominee Wesley Clark called on President Bush to fire Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld. "Don Rumsfeld has proven he's incompetent time and time again because of the Iraq policy" Clark said of Rumsfeld.

August 15, 2004 - Bush, McCain call on Corzine to release tax returns

TAMPA BAY, FL - President George W. Bush and running-mate Senator John McCain of Arizona called on Wesley Clark's presidential campaign to release ten years worth of tax records belonging to Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee Jon Corzine. The Bush campaign accused Corzine of being "corrupt" during his business career.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 12:05:09 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2014, 12:14:42 AM by dudeabides »

August 17, 2004 - Gore delivers 2004 DNC Keynote Address

BOSTON, MA - Three time presidential hopeful and Former Vice President Al Gore gave the keynote address at his party's national convention. "For four years, this administration has squandered our surplus, cut taxes on the very rich, opposed efforts to raise the minimum wage, undermined environmental protection, and rushed our country off to war. It's going to take a new vision and a higher standard of leadership to change the course of our country. It's going to take courage, and we all know Wesley Clark and Jon Corzine have courage" Gore said during his address.

August 19, 2004 - Corzine accepts Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination

BOSTON, MA - Senator Jon Corzine of New Jersey accepted his party's nomination for Vice President. "Our country deserves better than failed leadership. Our nation is a place of great ideals and incredible values. We must value all that America is. Therefore, it is our job to fight for quality health care, better schools, lower taxes on working families, a balanced budget, and a foreign policy consistent with our values, not one which rushes young men and women off to war" Corzine said.

August 20, 2004 - Clark accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination

BOSTON, MA - Retired General Wesley Clark accepted his party's nomination for President. "I accept your nomination for President aware of the great responsibility I hold. I'm fighting for the values of our party but more importantly, I'm fighting for our country. I've done it before, and I'm proud to do it again. Together, we can restore our economy, invest in our roads, expand affordable health care, fix education, fund veteran's health care, cut taxes on the middle class, balance the budget, and end the war in Iraq responsibly" Clark said.

September 2, 2004 - Giuliani gives RNC keynote address

NEW YORK, NY - Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani of New York City gave the keynote address at his party's national convention. "President Bush has kept us safe, his polices have helped restore our economy, and his education reforms are benefitting our children. Today, America is safer, stronger, and better off than we were in 2001. But, the world demands American leadership. While General Clark deserves our utmost respect for his service to our country, this election is a choice on national security. President Bush will finish the job in Iraq, General Clark would prematurely withdrawal our forces from Iraq" Giuliani said.

September 4, 2004 - McCain accepts Republican Vice Presidential Nomination

NEW YORK, NY - Senator John McCain of Arizona accepted his party's nomination for Vice President. "I've fought to implement this President's policies on national security, such as the mission in Iraq, the Patriot Act, and funding for the Department of Homeland Security in the United States Senate. I also have a record of opposing tax increases and unfunded mandates. Together, President Bush and I will continue to fight for pro-growth free market policies to grow our economy, and we'll keep America safe by funding our armed forces and homeland security" McCain said.

September 5, 2004 - President Bush accepts re-election nomination at RNC

NEW YORK, NY - President George W. Bush accepted the nomination of his party for a second term as President. "These four years have brought moments I could not foresee and will not forget. As a nation, we have recovered from an economic recession. Our economy has created over 2 million jobs in just over a year, home ownership is at a record high, inflation is at a record low, and Americans confidence in our economy is at the highest level in five years. Additionally, we are bringing justice to an enemy which feeds off an ideology of hatred. Another term presents us another opportunity to continue to grow our economy and protect this country" President Bush stated.

September 15, 2004 - Campaign turns increasingly negative as Bush hits Clark on Iraq and taxes, Clark hits Bush on Iraq and health care

WASHINGTON, DC - With polls showing President Bush ahead by one or two percentage points, both President Bush and Democratic Challenger Wesley Clark began going increasingly negative. "My opponent believes the United States should withdrawal from Iraq despite the fact that would result in radicals taking over. He believes that the world is not better off without Saddam Hussein. This is a difference in philosophy. Furthermore, my opponent has proposed a $680 billion tax increase which hits businesses in America, I want to keep taxes low on everybody" President Bush said while campaigning in Ohio. Mean while, campaigning in Colorado, Wesley Clark went after Bush. "This President rushed our country into war, and now he has mismanaged the war and will fight to remain in Iraq forever. I believe that in training the Iraqis and withdrawing, we can ensure Iraq's security without having a long term presence there" Clark said. He also told supporters that "George Bush has no solution to health care other than slashing poor people's health care, he should be ashamed of himself. I want quality health care for every American, and the way to do that is to cover folks of modest means" Clark said.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 11:33:09 PM »

September 25, 2004 - Clark: I support Patriot Act extension

RICHMOND, VA - Democratic Presidential Nominee Wesley Clark said he supported the Patriot Act and would push to extend it as President.

October 1, 2004 - Bush, Clark participate in first Presidential Debate

MONTCLAIR, NJ - President George W. Bush and Retired General Wesley Clark participated in their first of three presidential debates focused on domestic policy issues. Below are some highlights from the debate;

"My plan is very clear. We reduce income taxes on those making below $250,000 per year. We raise taxes only on the wealthiest in our society to pay for reduced middle class taxes. To grow our economy, we reduce our corporate tax rate down to 25%, we invest $50 billion over four years in energy and infrastructure, and we encourage trade that is both free and fair" - Wesley Clark

"My opponent has proposed $800 billion in new spending and $600 billion in higher taxes. We've created 2.5 million jobs in the past fourteen months by keeping taxes low for everyone, increasing small business tax credits, opening up our markets, and through investing in education. We'll continue to fight for these goals in another term" - George W. Bush

"There is a clear choice in this election. President Bush believes in trickle-down economics, that deficits don't matter, and that unfair trade agreements justify free trade. He's ignored the issue of health care, we are dumbing down standards in our schools, wages are falling, and the oil companies are getting more of our tax dollars. It's time for a change" - Wesley Clark

"My administration has funded state health insurance programs to the poor while creating a new prescription drug benefit in medicare part D. We are covering the poor, sick, and elderly with health insurance, and we'll lower the costs through tort reform. But, my opponent believes in even more government intrusion into health care" - George W. Bush

"President Bush and I happen to agree that tax cuts stimulate economic growth. The difference is, I would fight to reduce taxes on working people and small businesses, this President has focused on giving tax relief to large corporations and then very well connected" - Wesley Clark

"I signed into law the ban on third trimester abortion. I believe in a culture of life. I've proposed a federal marriage amendment. I am a social conservative, there is no question" - George W. Bush

"The choice in this election is clear. President Bush believes in Washington D.C., corporate special interests, and in cutting taxes on the very wealthy. I believe in the promise of America, not a tax cut for the wealthiest 1% of Americans" - Wesley Clark

October 2, 2004 - Poll: Clark retakes lead in presidential race

WASHINGTON D.C. - After what most pundits and polls showed was a clear win in the first presidential debate, Democratic Presidential Nominee Wesley Clark took his largest polling lead over President George W. Bush in the election thus far. According to a poll by NBC News, Clark leads Bush 47%-41% (as compared by 47%-45% in favor of Bush a month earlier) nationally, while also leading Bush in several swing states. Two swing states - Ohio and Colorado - Bush was leading in according to polls, but Clark now leads by two percenage points in Ohio and three percentage points in Colorado.

October 5, 2004 - Bush, Giuliani attack Clark at midwestern stops

MADISON, WI - During a series of events in Ohio, Wisconsin, and Iowa, President George W. Bush and Former Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani attacked Democratic Presidential Nominee Wesley Clark. "My opponent's vision is clear. $800 billion in new spending over two years, $600 billion in higher taxes, more government control of health care, and a premature withdrawal from Iraq" Bush said of Clark. "Wes Clark has no experience in dealing with the economy, this President has fought to grow our economy everyday and it's working" Giuliani said.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 02:53:31 PM »

October 10, 2004 - McCain, Corzine participate in Vice Presidential Debate

TUSCON, AZ - Republican Vice Presidential Nominee John McCain and Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee Jon Corzine participated in a vice presidential debate. Below are some highlights from the debate;

"Wesley Clark and I are fighting for working families. We support accessible health care, a higher minimum wage, more funding for job re-training, tax cuts for working folks, and we won't give tax breaks to the wealthy while driving up deficits." - Jon Corzine

"Wesley Clark and Jon Corzine believe in higher taxes and more borrowing to pay for their over $800 billion in new spending. President Bush and I have a belief that the best way to grow our economy is through keeping taxes low, opening up our markets, minimizing regulations, and controlling federal spending. Federal tax revenue is higher today than it was just a few years ago and our economy is adding jobs, that's our record." - John McCain

"The fact of the matter is, Wesley Clark and I believe this election is a referendum on the war in Iraq and health care. This President rushed us off to war, and we have a plan to win the peace through training the Iraqis and engaging the international community. Here at home, health care costs are skyrocketing. Wesley Clark and I will expand health care access to those who lack it due to cost restraints, and we will make it more accessible and allow people to buy it across state lines, something Senator McCain is for but the President has refused to address" - Jon Corzine

"I've been serving our nation since I was a young man. I served in Vietnam and knew what it was like to long for the freedoms of our country. In the U.S. Senate, I've fought for campaign finance reform, stronger alliances with countries like Vietnam, and the Department of Homeland Security. President Bush and I are committed to a safer world, and a more hopeful America." - John McCain

"I spent my life in the private sector, Wesley Clark spent his in the military. We have different backrounds, but both of us understand that President Bush is moving our country in the wrong direction. This President has mislead us to war and continues to spend too much here at home on tax breaks for large corporations and the wealthy. We should be investing in education, health care, and infrastructure while keeping taxes low on working families." - Jon Corzine 

October 15, 2004 - Bush, Clark debate foreign policy

BOCA RATON, FL - President George W. Bush and Retired General Wesley Clark debated foreign policy during their second presidential debate. Below are some highlights of the exchange.

"I believe we must succeed in Iraq. We are training the Iraqis militarily, but we are also training them to maintain democracy long term. We have given our troops all the tools at our disposal to succeed. We need a President who is committed to success, and I am. I will not retreat from Iraq, my opponent and his running-mate opposed the mission there, and they would withdrawal prematurely." - George W. Bush

"I do believe the war in Iraq was a mistake. The President and I agree the world is better off without Saddam Hussein in power. However, there are a lot of leaders in the middle east who shouldn't be in power, that doesn't mean we are the world's police. In fact, the President said as much in the 2000 campaign. I think we should withdrawal from Iraq and focus on success in Afghanistan and in the war on terror as a whole" - Wesley Clark

"I have been very clear, I'll lead towards success in both Iraq and Afghanistan. I'll re-authorize the Patriot Act with the help of congress. We'll continue to fund the Department of Homeland Security. This country is safer, but we still need to be more safe. That's the bottom line" - George W. Bush

"The President and I actually agree on the Patriot Act to an extent. I'd reauthorize most of it, though not some parts which federal courts have ruled unconstitutional. I also believe the Department of Homeland Security is a waste of resources which should be focused on human intelligence and increased border security, not bureaucracy. I'd reduce the size of the department over time, and change it's role" - Wesley Clark

"For the past four years, I've dealt with leaders of other nations. I've dealt with the tough decisions only a President can make. I am determined to lead this country for another four years because our work is not done, we must make the world safer and more free. My opponent is a war hero, and he has served his nation with honor and distinction. But, we view the world very differently. I believe in a foreign policy agenda which promotes freedom abroad, not only going to the U.N." - George W. Bush

"Leadership is about making tough decisions. President Bush made the tough decision to go into Iraq. The problem is, he made the wrong decision. This President has failed the very test of leadership in foreign affairs. He has weakened our national security stance and hurt us in the eyes of our allies. I've been a leader my entire adult life. I spent my life in the armed forces. I understand how to lead this nation" - Wesley Clark

October 23, 2004 - Bush, McCain joined by Giuliani, Miller, Pataki on trail

MADISON, WI - President George W. Bush and running-mate Senator John McCain of Arizona began a three-day, four state bus tour through New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Wisconsin. They were joined by Former Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani, Governor of New York George Pataki, and Senator Zell Miller of Georgia. Bush sought to capitalize on his leadership as a war time President and on the U.S. economy's recovery.

October 25, 2004 - Clark holds major Democratic rally in Cleveland, OH

CLEVELAND, OH - Ahead of the 2004 presidential race, Democratic Presidential Nominee Wesley Clark held a rally in downtown Cleveland, Ohio. Clark spoke about the war in Iraq, health care, and the economy. He was joined by Former President Bill Clinton, Senator Hillary Clinton of New York, Former Vice President Al Gore, and Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts.

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 11:17:04 PM »

Election Day 2004 - Wesley Clark beats President Bush

Wesley Clark / Jon Corzine (D) 50% 278 EV
George W. Bush / John McCain (R) 49% 260 EV

January 20, 2005 - Clark, Corzine sworn in

The Clark Administration
Vice President - Jon S. Corzine
Secretary of State - Al Gore
Secretary of Treasury - Warren Bufett
Secretary of Defense - Leon Panetta
Attorney General - Hillary Clinton
Secretary of Interior - Christie Vilsack
Secretary of Agriculture - Gary Mauro
Secretary of Commerce - Jack Lew
Secretary of Labor - Dick Gephardt
Secretary of Health & Human Services - Connie Mariano 
Secretary of HUD - Andrew Cuomo
Secretary of Transportation - James McCarville
Secretary of Energy - Jon Huntsman Jr.
Secretary of Education - Dean Smith
Secretary of Veteran Affairs - William Perry
Secretary of Homeland Security - Joe Biden
White House Chief of Staff - Carol Mousely Braunn
Office of Management & Budget Director - Howard Dean

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 11:00:20 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2014, 11:07:45 AM by dudeabides »

Key Events of the Clark Administration, January 20, 2005 - January 1, 2007
-January 28, 2005 - Wesley Clark signs an $15 billion SCHIP expansion into law, covering all children in families making less than $50,000 per year with health insurance
-March 1, 2005 - Wesley Clark says the U.S. will withdrawal from Iraq by August 20, 2006 with the exception of 10,000 residual forces
- May 2, 2005 - After congressional republicans reject President Clark's initial tax cut plan, the President signs a 25% payroll tax cut into law
- July 1, 2005 - Wesley Clark's Iraq War withdrawal plan gets criticism from congressional republicans.
- August 27, 2005 - After pressure from U.S. army leaders and Senate Republicans, President Clark says that 30,000 residual forces will be left in Iraq, not 10,000.
- November 2, 2005 - In New Jersey, Former U.S. Attorney Chris Christie defeats Congressman Rob Andrews 53%-46% to become the state's first GOP Governor since 1990. In Virginia, Democrat Tim Kaine narrowly wins election as his state's Governor. Mayor Michael Bloomberg defeats Democratic Congressman Anthony Wiener, 57%-42% to be re-elected as Mayor.
- January 5, 2006 - President Clark announces with worsening conditions in Iraq, a withdrawal by August looked unrealistic
- March 17, 2006 - President Clark signs a re-authorization of the Patriot Act
- June 1, 2006 - President Clark signs into law the American Investment Act, allocating $50 billion over a four year period towards infrastructure and educational programs
- September 17, 2006 - President Clark signs into law a universal health care law for veterans with partisan support.
- November 4, 2006 - Republicans keep control of both houses of congress
- December 10, 2006 - President Clark signs an executive order which forces the justice department to stop enforcing Don't Ask Don't Tell

January 15, 2007 - Rudy Giuliani enters Presidential Race

DOVER, NH - Former Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani announced his bid for the Republican Presidential Nomination in 2008. "Our country needs a President who is committed to a strong national defense, victory in Iraq, free markets, and fiscal discipline. I believe I've been tested and proven during crisis. As a Mayor, I reduced crime, reduced taxes, and made New York City a safer and more prosperous city. Now, it's time to change Washington to help America prosper and be secure" Giuliani said.

January 27, 2007 - McCain declines presidential run, will support Giuliani in 2008

TUSCON, AZ - Senator John McCain of Arizona, the 2004 Republican Vice Presidential Nominee, said he would not be a candidate for President in 2008. "I'm not running in 2008, I think I had a great go of it in 2000 and as President Bush's running-mate in 2004. I will continue to serve in the United States Senate and work on the issues I care about" McCain said. McCain pledged his support to Rudy Giuliani. "I'm supporting Rudy Giuliani for President because Rudy has been tested in crisis, and he's ready to lead" McCain said of Giuliani.

February 5, 2007 - Kucinich to challenge Clark

IOWA CITY, IA - Congressman Dennis Kucinich of Ohio announced he would be challenging President Wesley Clark in the 2004 Democratic Presidential Primary. "Wesley Clark has opposed efforts by congressional Democrats to implement cap and trade and to get us out of NAFTA. Income inequality has increased over the past two years at a faster rate than it did under President Bush. We need a President who will champion progressives and more importantly, working families" Kucinich said.

February 10, 2007 - Survey: Clark, Giuliani in good shape during primaries, Clark approval takes dive

GOP Presidential Nomination
Rudy Giuliani 34%
George Allen 25%
Mitt Romney 20%
Rick Santorum 11%
George Pataki 5%
Mike Huckabee 3%
Ron Paul 1%
Tom Tancredo 1%

Democratic Presidential Nomination
Wesley Clark 67%
Dennis Kucinich 30%

General Election Match Ups

Rudy Giuliani 47%
Wesley Clark 44%

Mitt Romney 46%
Wesley Clark 45%

Wesley Clark 47%
George Allen 42%

Clark Approval
Approve: 49%
Disapprove: 41%

February 17, 2007 - Mitt Romney announces presidential bid

BOSTON, MA - Former Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney announced he would seek the GOP Presidential Nomination in 2008. "I'm running for President to bring my experience both as a Governor who reduced spending and held the line on taxes, and as a businessman who created jobs, to Washington. We need a President who understands the real economy, and I know how the economy works" Romney said.

March 1, 2007 - Rick Santorum announces presidential bid, attacks opponents

NEW YORK, NY - On Fox News, Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania announced he would be a candidate for President in 2008. "I've been a consistent conservative. I fought for welfare reform and the ban on partial-birth abortion, and I fought President Clark's tax increases. This President has failed to make it easier to do business in America, and we republicans need to fight for better jobs. But, Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani have ignored the small businesses in America in favor of larger tax cuts for larger companies" Santorum said.

March 2, 2007 - Christie backs Giuliani

MORRISTOWN, NJ - Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey backed Rudy Giuliani's 2008 presidential bid. "Rudy Giuliani has an impressive record as a prosecutor and Mayor. What is needed in Washington right now is someone who can get things done, and Rudy has that track record" Christie said of Giuliani.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 03:00:05 PM »

March 12, 2007 - George Allen enters presidential race

RICHMOND, VA - Senator George Allen of Virginia announced he would be a candidate for President in 2008. "Americans want a President who holds the conservative values our nation was founded on - life, liberty, family, free enterprise, and a right to keep and bear arms" Allen told supporters.

March 25, 2007 - Mike Huckabee to run for President

LITTLE ROCK, AK - Former Governor of Arkansas Mike Huckabee declared his bid for President in his home state. "Americans want a President who reminds them of the guy they work with, not the guy who laid them off" Huckabee said, touting a populist, socially conservative message.

April 5, 2007 - Pataki launches presidential campaign

NEW YORK, NY - Former Governor of New York George Pataki entered the 2008 presidential race during a television interview with ABC News. "In order to win in 2008, our party needs a nominee who will take a fiscally conservative message and run with it nationally and win" Pataki said.

April 15, 2007 - Romney wins CPAC Straw Poll

WASHINGTON, DC - Below are the results of the 2007 CPAC Presidential Straw Poll:
Mitt Romney 1,203
Rudy Giuliani 1,195
George Allen 808
Rick Santorum 303
Mike Huckabee 300
Gary Johnson 97
Other 5

May 17, 2007 - Gary Johnson enters presidential race

SANTA FE, NM - Former Governor of New Mexico Gary Johnson entered the 2008 presidential race as a libertarian-leaning Republican. "Our party does best when we stand for libertarian ideals" Johnson told supporters.

June 1, 2007 - Giuliani puts forth economic plan

MANCHESTER, NH - Republican Presidential Hopeful Rudy Giuliani put forth a five point economic plan. The plan includes tax reductions which eliminates taxes on capital gains, reduces federal income taxes by 50% while eliminating most loopholes and deductions, and the plan cuts the corporate tax rate from 35%-20% while eliminating most corporate loopholes and deductions. Giuliani also said he'd repeal five years worth of regulations, pass a health care law which enables people to buy health care across state lines while also enacting tort reform, invest $5 billion more towards worker re-training programs, and he said he'd pass a comprehensive energy independence program to increase domestic energy production. Giuliani said the total cost of his tax cut would be roughly $800 billion since loopholes would be closed.

June 25, 2007 - Romney, Santorum, Allen, and Pataki battle to be the "anti-Giuliani" as Huckabee stays positive

CHARLESTON, SC - At a presidential forum in South Carolina, GOP Presidential Hopefuls Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, George Pataki, and George Allen each battled to be an alternative to Rudy Giuliani in the GOP presidential primary, while Mike Huckabee remained positive. "Rudy Giuliani is not a social conservative, he is pro-choice, supports redefining marriage, is for gun control, he's a New York moderate" George Allen stated. "Mayor Giuliani has a tremendous record as it relates to reducing crime, but socially, he is virtually the same as President Clark" Rick Santorum argued. "The difference between Mayor Giuliani and myself is, I didn't spend my life working for the government, I spent my life in the private sector" Mitt Romney declared. "Rudy Giuliani endorsed a liberal Democrat, Mario Cuomo, over me when I ran for Governor. I won as a conservative. I then faced criticism from the Mayor for proposing large tax cuts and a line-item veto" George Pataki said. Meanwhile, GOP Presidential Hopeful Mike Huckabee said he "had respect" for Rudy Giuliani.

June 27, 2007 - Congressman Peter King backs Rudy Giuliani for President

NASHUA, NH - Congressman Peter King of New York announced he was supporting Rudy Giuliani for President in 2008. "Rudy Giuliani understands the threat this country faces from radical islamist, and he knows how to fix an economy" King said of Giuliani.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 05:42:09 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2014, 09:00:17 AM by dudeabides »

July 1, 2007 - Poll: Clark vulnerable for '08, Giuliani well ahead of GOP field

WASHINGTON, DC - A poll released by the Gallup organization finds that President Wesley Clark's approval ratings have hit 47%, the lowest of his presidency, at that 44% of the public believes the President should not be re-elected in 2008. Mean while, Rudy Giuliani holds a 22 percentage point lead over the rest of the GOP presidential field, with candidates Mitt Romney and George Allen tied for second place.

July 5, 2007 - June 2007 saw slowest economic growth since October 2001
WASHINGTON, DC - The U.S. Department of Labor announced that in June of 2007, the U.S. economy grew at a rate of 2.1% and added just 102,000 jobs. The job growth rate was the slowest since the beginning of the 2001-2002 recession.

July 25, 2007 - President Clark announces $200 billion stimulus package

WASHINGTON, DC - In response to a sluggish national economy, President Clark announced a proposal to invest in more infrastructure projects, green energy tax credits, and payroll tax relief. The proposal, known as the American Stimulus Act, would cost $200 billion.

GOP Candidates react to Clark stimulus plan
WASHINGTON, DC - Republican Presidential Candidates all oppose President Wesley Clark's proposed stimulus plan.

August 1, 2007 - Mitt Romney talks presidential agenda in Iowa speech
IOWA CITY, IA - Republican Presidential Hopeful Mitt Romney laid out his presidential agenda during a campaign stop in Iowa City, IA. Romney said he would eliminate taxes on the interest on savings, cut income taxes by 20% across the board, eliminate taxes on capital gains up to $500,000, and he'd de-regulate the energy sector to create jobs. Romney also discussed his immigration reform plan which included an employment verification system and defunding cities and states which gave taxpayer benefits to undocumented individuals.

August 10, 2007 - Mitt Romney wins Ames, IA straw poll

Final Vote
Mitt Romney 1,205
George Allen 997
Rudy Giuliani 798
Rick Santorum 775
Mike Huckabee 725
George Pataki 505
Gary Johnson 102

August 15, 2007 - Clark concedes on stimulus plan

WASHINGTON, DC - President Wesley Clark gave up on passing a stimulus plan after house and senate republicans rejected the proposal.

August 27, 2007 - Clark signs bi-partisan stimulus

WASHINGTON, DC - President Wesley Clark signed an economic stimulus plan different from the one he had initially proposed. The plan gave a six month payroll tax holiday to employees and employers, created a new tax credit for hiring, and invests just $30 billion towards infrastructure. The total price tag of the plan is $120 billion, paid for by scaling back congress's approval of the Clark administration's increase in funding for local aid to education.

GOP Candidates, Kucinich react to Clark stimulus

WASHINGTON, DC - Republican Presidential Hopefuls and Democratic Presidential Hopeful Dennis Kucinich reacted to President Clark's new, bi-partisan stimulus package. Republicans Rudy Giuliani, Rick Santorum, and George Allen agreed with the new plan - arguing it effectively reduced taxes by $90 billion while only spending $30 billion. GOP hopefuls Mitt Romney, Gary Johnson, and George Pataki argued that it was too similar to Clark's original stimulus. Democratic Presidential Hopeful Dennis Kucinich argued the plan didn't go far enough, and that a $500 billion spending program for education, infrastructure, green jobs, and health care was what is needed.

September 2, 2007 - Highlights of '08 GOP Primary Debate

"In an economic downturn, it's important we elect a President who has a record, and a vision, to again grow the economy. As Mayor, I reduced taxes  dramatically and my city saw the unemployment rate drop by 50%. My plan now includes a tax cut which cuts taxes substantially on income, capital gains, and for businesses. I'd also reduce half a decade's worth of regulations, and that's just a start. I also have put forth a health care plan which will lower the cost of health care so people's net income increases. We need to create jobs in the free market, not through big government" - Rudy Giuliani

"I understand the economy because I've spent my life in the private sector, turning around companies. I then went on to turn around the state of Massachusetts. What we need in Washington is change. I believe by reducing taxes on capital gains, savings, and income and by having an American energy policy, we can grow our economy again. The issue I have with Mayor Giuliani's proposal is his plan increases the deficit by $800 billion. My plan is revenue neutral since it's accompanied by closing tax loopholes and deductions, as well as reductions in spending. The Mayor's plan only eliminates 30% of loopholes and deductions, my plan eliminates 60% of those loopholes and deductions so we can achieve a balanced budget and more jobs" - Mitt Romney

"The Clark administration has ignored the constitution of the United States and has failed to enforce laws congress passed without a supreme court case to back them up. This administration has opened the door to taxpayer funding of abortion by having a new, $50 abortion co-pay in medicaid, something which was an executive order by the President last year. If elected, I will protect human life and won't ignore the constitution of the United States" - Rick Santorum

"My top priorities as President will be to pass a human life amendment to the constitution, finish the border fence, and throw out the current tax code and replace it with the fair tax. It's time we had an American President who reminded people of the guy they worked with, not the guy who laid them off. It's time we had an American President who protected our values, not his or her own personal politics" - Mike Huckabee

"I think the cause of our time is defeating radical islamic extremism. We must succeed in Iraq, and we must continue to fund the Department of Homeland Security and human intelligence operations. I think we all agree on that. Where we disagree appears to be the issue of immigration. I've been very clear: I will secure the border and oppose any form of amnesty. In the U.S. Senate, I defeated amnesty in both 2005 and 2007. Sadly, folks like Rudy Giuliani, George Pataki, and Rick Santorum have either opposed employment verification, which would basically allow those here illegally, or they have supported sanctuary cities. Mike Huckabee even gave illegal aliens in-state tuition at college in his state." - George Allen

"I have said from day one, my top priority as President will be to reduce the debt. I've put forth a series of principles, be it reforming social security through slowing the growth for higher income earners, block granting medicaid and HUD, or eliminating 90% of all federal subsidies, which would enable us to reduce the deficit and reduce the debt. We can't afford $8 trillion in debt forever." - George Pataki

"Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney have both advocated eroding personal liberties, sending our young men and women off to war indefinitely, and they've even been critical of withdrawing from Iraq. This constant warfare does not increase our national security, it only erodes our constitutional rights." - Gary Johnson

"The way to win in 2008 is to articulate a clear reform message. I'm running for President because I believe the American economy needs to be revitalized through free market reforms - such as tax reform, regulatory reform, health care reform, open markets, and an energy policy. I'm also running for President because I have experience in and understand national security. The path to victory is by explaining to the public that restoring our free market economy and defeating radical islam are the most important issues of the day. I have spent over 25 years working on these issues and I can win in 2008 by running on my record and ideas" - Rudy Giuliani

"Mitt Romney has a history of changing positions on social issues, we need a conservative republican who is not afraid to stand strong for the pro-life position, traditional marriage, and the second amendment in all fifty states, not just conservative states" - Rick Santorum
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 09:32:26 AM »

September 15, 2007 - Giuliani still '08 GOP front-runner

GOP Nomination
Rudy Giuliani 40%
Mitt Romney 27%
Rick Santorum 15%
George Pataki 9%
Mike Huckabee 5%
George Allen 2%
Gary Johnson 1%
Other 1%

October 5, 2007 - Former President Bush backs Rudy Giuliani for President

TAMPA, FL - Former President George W. Bush endorsed Rudy Giuliani's 2008 presidential campaign. "Rudy Giuliani understands the need for a President who promotes lower taxes and open markets, and a President who will defend this country whatever it takes" Bush told a Florida audience.

October 8, 2007 - Gregg backs Mitt Romney for President

DOVER, NH - Senator Judd Gregg of New Hampshire endorsed Mitt Romney for President. "Mitt Romney is the experienced conservative leader our nation needs" Gregg said of Romney.

October 15, 2007 - President Clark officially launches re-election bid

LITTLE ROCK, AR - President Wesley Clark announced he would be seeking re-election in 2004. "Over the past four years, we've expanded health care access to millions of poor children and their parents, cut taxes on worker's and small businesses, opened our markets, reduced the growth of federal spending, and we've begun to end our operations in Iraq" Clark stated.

October 25, 2007 - Mitt Romney sees surge in New Hampshire

NASHUA, NH - Despite being in a distant second from Rudy Giuliani nationally, GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney surged ahead in New Hampshire, according to a WMTR poll. In August, Giuliani's New Hampshire lead was more than 20 percentage points, but now Giuliani and Romney are in a virtual tie - Giuliani leads Romney by 1 percentage point, well within the polls margin of error. Senator George Allen of Virginia is in a distant second.

October 27, 2007 - Giuliani surrogate attacks Romney over taxes, health care

NEW YORK, NY - Congressman Peter King of New York, a surrogate for Rudy Giuliani's 2008 presidential campaign, attacked opponent Mitt Romney during an interview on Fox News. "Governor Romney's tax plan would be a very minor tax relief program. The Romney plan would barely cut taxes on middle income folks if at all, and Romney's health care plan in Massachusetts actually increased the cost of doing business because of the mandates. Romney's health care plan would be unconstitutional at the federal level and it has been increasing government spending in Massachusetts" King said.

November 1, 2007 - Giuliani hits Romney on taxes, health care while Romney hits Giuliani on immigration

MANCHESTER, NH - Republican Presidential Hopefuls Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney, both campaigning in New Hampshire, went after each other on the issues. "As Mayor, I reduced taxes dramatically. We saw increased revenues and our unemployment rate was cut in half. By contrast, my friend Mitt Romney didn't reduce taxes as Governor and instead increased fees, his state saw a much slower economic recovery than the one we saw in New York City. Additionally, I didn't impose a government run health care scheme, Governor Romney did. As candidates, while I've proposed the largest tax cut in the history of our country, Governor Romney has proposed a plan with little tax relief for middle class families and small businesses" Giuliani said. "Mayor Giuliani allowed people in this country illegally to remain in New York without enforcing the laws of the nation. New York even gave a few taxpayer benefits to those here illegally. In my view, we need to secure our border and do what we can to stop illegal immigration. As Governor, I said no to driver's licenses for illegals and deputized our state police to enforce immigration laws" Romney said.

November 2, 2007 - Giuliani for President Inc. launches first attack ad of 2008 primaries

NARRATOR 1: Rudy Giuliani. Mitt Romney. There is a choice in this election
NARRATOR 2: As Mayor, Rudy Giuliani reduced taxes 23 times. Unemployment was cut in half. Welfare rolls were cut in half. Crime was down by 60%. Rudy Giuliani held the line on city spending.
NARRATOR 3: Mitt Romney's record. He raised fees in Massachusetts, and implemented a government run health care scheme.
GIULIANI: I'm Rudy Giuliani. I'm running for President to restore economic growth through the free market, and to keep the American people safe. That's why I approved this message.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 11:42:00 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2014, 11:44:05 PM by dudeabides »

November 12, 2007 - King backs Huckabee

MASON CITY IA - Congressman Steven King of Iowa endorsed Mike Huckabee's 2008 Presidential Campaign at an event in Mason City, IA. "Mike Huckabee is a proven leader who will bring together fiscal and social conservatives" King said of Huckabee.

November 17, 2007 - George Allen calls for flat tax, balanced budget amendment

IOWA CITY, IA - Senator George Allen of Virginia called for a 12% flat tax and a balanced budget amendment to the constitution. Allen pledged to cut federal spending and cap it at 18% of GDP within three years if elected President.

December 1, 2007 - Kucinich lays out presidential agenda

DOVER, NH - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Dennis Kucinich laid out his presidential agenda at a town hall meeting. Kucinich pledged to immediately end the war in Iraq, allow the Bush tax cuts to expire for the wealthy, provide health care to every American, and get the U.S. out of NAFTA and CAFTA.

December 8, 2007 - Senators back Giuliani in presidential bid

WASHINGTON, DC - Twelve GOP U.S. Senators announced they would be supporting Rudy Giuliani's 2008 presidential bid. Senators Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas, John Cornyn of Texas, Bob Corker of Tennessee, Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, Kit Bond of Missouri, Elizabeth Dole of North Carolina, Tom Kean Jr. of New Jersey, Jon Kyl of Arizona, Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, Orin Hatch of Utah, Saxby Chambliss of Georgia, and Lindsay Graham of South Carolina all announced in a statement their support of Giuliani's presidential bid.

December 12, 2007 - Kerry backs President Clark's re-election

MANCHESTER, NH - Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts formally endorsed Wesley Clark for re-election in 2008, calling Clark "a leader with the courage to stand up for expanded health care, middle class tax cuts, and a responsible exit from Iraq."

December 17, 2007 - Santorum calls for a conservative candidate
DES MOINES, IA - Senator Rick Santorum, Republican Presidential Candidate, called on republicans to nominate a conservative for President. "I have a track record of fighting for conservative values, our party needs someone who is strong on national security, pro-life and for traditional family values, and someone who has stood up for good paying American jobs, and I believe I represent that conservative vision going forward" Santorum said.

January 3, 2008 - George Allen, Wesley Clark win Iowa Caucus despite polls showing Romney ahead

Democratic Caucus
Wesley Clark 65%
Dennis J. Kucinich 30%
Other 5%

GOP Caucus
George Allen 30%
Mitt Romney 27%
Rick Santorum 21%
Rudy Giuliani 12%
Mike Huckabee 7%
George Pataki 1%
Gary Johnson 1%
Other 1%

January 5, 2008 - Mitt Romney, President Clark win Wyoming Caucus

Democratic Caucus
Wesley Clark 91%
Dennis J. Kucinich 5%
Other 4%

GOP Caucus
Mitt Romney 57%
Rudy Giuliani 22%
George Allen 10%
Rick Santorum 4%
Mike Huckabee 2%
George Pataki 2%
Gary Johnson 2%
Other 1%

January 7, 2008 -Jeb Bush backs Rudy Giuliani for President

LEBANON, NH - Former Governor of Florida Jeb Bush endorsed Rudy Giuliani for President, calling Giuliani "a leader with a record of positive results and someone who can unite our country".

January 8, 2008 - Rudy Giuliani, Wesley Clark win New Hampshire

Democratic Primary
Wesley Clark 67%
Dennis J. Kucinich 30%
Other 3%

Republican Primary
Rudy Giuliani 40%
Mitt Romney 23%
George Pataki 15%
George Allen 12%
Mike Huckabee 5%
Rick Santorum 3%
Gary Johnson 1%
Other 1%

George Pataki ends presidential bid, endorses Mitt Romney for President

NASHUA, NH - After a disappointing third place finish in New Hampshire's presidential primary, Former Governor of New York George Pataki ended his presidential campaign and endorsed fellow candidate Mitt Romney, calling Romney "an electable republican reformer."

January 10, 2008 - Newt Gingrich endorses Rudy Giuliani for President

DETRIOT, MI - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich endorsed Rudy Giuliani's 2008 presidential campaign. "Rudy Giuliani transformed New York City. He understands the necessity of the free market enterprise system, the law, and of the world we live in" Gingrich said of Giuliani.

January 12, 2008 - De Mint backs Mitt Romney for President  

PONTIAC, MI - Senator Jim De Mint of South Carolina endorsed Mitt Romney's presidential campaign, citing Romney's business background and electability as reasons for the endorsement.

January 15, 2008 - Romney edges Giuliani in Michigan, Clark wins decisive victory

Democratic Primary
Wesley Clark 87%
Dennis J. Kucinich 10%
Other 3%

GOP Primary
Mitt Romney 33%
Rudy Giuliani 31%
Rick Santorum 20%
George Allen 10%
Mike Huckabee 4%
Gary Johnson 1%
Other 1%

January 19, 2008 - Giuliani, Clark secure victories in Nevada, Florida

Nevada Democratic Primary
Wesley Clark 77%
Dennis J. Kucinich 21%
Other 2%

Nevada Republican Primary
Rudy Giuliani 38%
Mitt Romney 30%
George Allen 12%
Mike Huckabee 11%
Rick Santorum 6%
Gary Johnson 2%
Other 1%

Florida Democratic Primary
Wesley Clark 71%
Dennis J. Kucinich 25%
Other 4%

Florida GOP Primary
Rudy Giuliani 36%
Mitt Romney 24%
George Allen 22%
Mike Huckabee 10%
Rick Santorum 5%
Gary Johnson 2%
Other 1%

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 10:39:23 AM »

January 20, 2008 - Dennis J. Kucinich ends presidential race, President Clark secures victory
CLEVELAND, OH - Congressman Dennis Kucinich ended his 2008 Democratic Presidential Campaign. President Clark became the presumptive nominee of his party for re-election.

January 22, 2008 - In South Carolina, a battle between Giuliani, Romney, and Huckabee

CHARLESTON, SC - With polls showing a close three person race between Rudy Giuliani, Mitt Romney, and Mike Huckabee, the candidates contrasted each other with their opponents. Huckabee, staying positive, refused to name his opponents by name, but did call himself the "authentic conservative" in the 2008 presidential race. "I believe our party does best when we nominate true conservatives who fight for family values, a strong national defense, and economic growth" Huckabee told supporters. "I commit to you this, no one will question my pro-life credentials or my commitment to the second amendment if I'm your nominee" Huckabee added. Mitt Romney, hurt by a poor second place showing in New Hampshire, contrasted himself with Rudy Giuliani. "I've spent my life in the private sector, not in government. I know how to create jobs. Rudy Giuliani has spent his life in the public sector, he hasn't had to worry about creating jobs" Romney said. Rudy Giuliani went after Romney, but spent most of his time going after President Clark. "Mitt Romney is not giving the American people a reason to vote for him other than small tax cuts, the President needs to be defeated in November. We can't afford four more years of government run health care, high taxation, and sluggish economic growth" Giuliani said.

January 26, 2008 - Mike Huckabee narrowly wins South Carolina Primary

Mike Huckabee 30%
Rudy Giuliani 29%
George Allen 21%
Mitt Romney 14%
Rick Santorum 4%
Gary Johnson 1%
Other 1%

January 27, 2008 - George Allen exits presidential race, backs Rudy Giuliani

RICHMOND, VA - Senator George Allen of Virginia exited the 2008 presidential race and pledged his support to Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

January 29, 2008 - Huckabee surges nationally in new poll

Rudy Giuliani 42%
Mike Huckabee 25%
Mitt Romney 23%
Rick Santorum 7%
Gary Johnson 2%
Other 1%

February 1, 2008 - Rudy Giuliani wins Maine Caucus

Rudy Giuliani 40%
Mitt Romney 32%
Mike Huckabee 20%
Rick Santorum 5%
Gary Johnson 2%
Other 1%

February 2, 2008 - Gary Johnson exits Presidential Race

SANTA FE, NM - Republican Presidential Hopeful Gary Johnson ended his 2008 presidential campaign.

February 5, 2008 - Giuliani dominates Super Tuesday

States won by Rudy Giuliani
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Illinois
Minnesota
Missouri
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Georgia
Oklahoma
Kansas
America Samoa

States won by Mitt Romney
Alaska
Idaho
Massachusetts
Montana
North Dakota
Utah

States won by Mike Huckabee
Alabama
Arkansas
Tennessee
West Virginia

Rick Santorum ends campaign

ATLANTA, GA - Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania ended his 2008 presidential campaign after failing to win a single Super Tuesday contest despite coming in second in Alabama, Arkansas, and Kansas.

February 9, 2008 - Giuliani wins Nebraska, Washington as Huckabee wins Louisiana

Nebraska GOP Primary
Rudy Giuliani 40%
Mike Huckabee 33%
Mitt Romney 25%
Other 2%

Washington GOP Primary
Rudy Giuliani 39%
Mitt Romney 30%
Mike Huckabee 25%
Other 6%

Louisiana GOP Primary
Mike Huckabee 40%
Rudy Giuliani 39%
Mitt Romney 20%
Other 1%

February 12, 2008 - Giuliani wins Maryland, Virginia, and D.C. Primaries

Virginia GOP Primary
Rudy Giuliani 40%
Mike Huckabee 30%
Mitt Romney 28%
Other 2%

Maryland GOP Primary
Rudy Giuliani 60%
Mitt Romney 27%
Mike Huckabee 10%
Other 3%

D.C. GOP Primary
Rudy Giuliani 91%
Mitt Romney 5%
Mike Huckabee 2%
Other 2%

Mike Huckabee ends Presidential Campaign, endorses Rudy Giuliani

LITTLE ROCK, AR - Former Governor of Arkansas Mike Huckabee ended his 2008 presidential campaign and endorsed fellow candidate Rudy Giuliani. "Rudy Giuliani is the kind of leader America needs, he's someone who puts the interest of our country before anybody's politics" Huckabee said.

Feburary 15, 2008 - Romney: I'm the conservative in the race

MILWAULKEE, WI - Republican Presidential Hopeful Mitt Romney proclaimed that he is the conservative in the race for President. "There are differences between Mayor Giuliani and myself. I'm pro-life, he is not. I'm for traditional marriage, he's for same-sex marriage. I'm opposed to sanctuary cities for those here illegally, Mayor Giuliani declared his city a sanctuary city. The fact is, in the race for President, I'm the conservative businessman while the Mayor is the moderate public sector candidate" Romney told supporters.

King responds to Romney on trail for Rudy Giuliani

MADISON, WI - Congressman Peter King of New York responded to attacks from the Romney campaign on behalf of the Giuliani campaign. "Rudy Giuliani reduced taxes 23 times and held the line on spending as Mayor. Welfare rolls and unemployment were both half of what they were when he left office when compared to when he took office. As a candidate for President, Rudy has proposed the largest tax cut in U.S. history, a repeal of burdensome regulations, and a free market approach to health care - all of these things will help grow the economy and put people back to work. By contrast, Mitt Romney's tax plan will do nothing to help the economy, and he raised fees and implemented a government run health care system while a Governor" King said.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 03:38:43 PM »

February 18, 2008 - Mitt Romney concedes defeat, endorses Rudy Giuliani for President

BOSTON, MA - Former Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney ended his 2008 presidential campaign and endorsed fellow candidate Rudy Giuliani. Romney did so because of poor internal polling data showing Romney lagging behind in delegate rich states, as well as nationally. Romney pledged to support Rudy Giuliani for President.

Rudy Giuliani Secures Republican Presidential Nomination

NEW YORK, NY - Former Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani secured the Republican Presidential Nomination following Mitt Romney's withdrawal from the presidential race. "This election offers Americans a choice. Together, we will fight for free markets and fiscal discipline. The President is fighting for government run health care, higher taxes, and more borrowing. We are fighting for American leadership in the world. This President has played politics with our national security. The choice is clear. A new direction for our country, or more of the same" Giuliani told supporters.

February 23, 2008 - President Clark attacks Giuliani

WASHINGTON, DC - For the first time in the presidential race, President Wesley Clark went after his GOP opponent. "Rudy Giuliani has never seen a war he didn't like. The fact is, while he was dealing with riots in New York City caused by his policies, I was overseas fighting for American interests" Clark said of Giuliani. "Rudy's solution to our problems is to cut taxes on the very wealthy, stay in Iraq forever, and cut health care coverage for the millions who have had health care access for the first time because of our policies" the President added.

March 5, 2008 - As U.S. economy sinks, Clark's poll numbers decline to record lows
WASHINGTON, DC - The U.S. economy lost 25,000 jobs in February of 2008, the first job losses recorded in over six years. The unemployment rate hit 6.7%. President Clark's approval rating hit a record low of 42%, according to a Gallup poll released. Additionally, in the presidential race, Rudy Giuliani leads President Clark 49%-41%.

March 15, 2008 - Giuliani campaigns with Romney in Michigan

PONTIAC, MI - Republican Presidential Hopeful Rudy Giuliani and Former Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney held their first event together since Romney exited the presidential race. The event was a rally, and the focus was the economy. "President Clark's economy isn't working for the American people. The President has signed executive orders which have resulted in $50 billion in added regulations to the U.S. economy. The President has refused to reduce taxes on businesses every time congress pushed him to do so, and the President's health care policies are driving up medicaid costs which have hurt states. Meanwhile, more Americans are out of work today than at any time in the past decade" Mitt Romney stated. "If elected President, I have three things I'd immediately do to help grow the economy. I'd pass the largest tax relief in history - including tax cuts on personal income, capital gains, and for businessess, then I'd gut five years and $50 billion worth of regulations, and I'd then reform our health care system through the free market to drive down costs so consumers will free up more money to save, invest, or spend every year" Rudy Giuliani stated.

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 11:03:41 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2014, 11:23:43 PM by dudeabides »

April 2, 2008 - Clark, Republicans spar on economics

WASHINGTON, DC - President Wesley Clark and congressional republicans went to battle over economic stimulus. Senator Kit Bond of Missouri and  House Majority Leader Eric Cantor introduced Rudy Guiliani's tax cut package to congress, and President Clark issued a veto. Clark argued instead for an additional $350 billion stimulus which included increased tax credits to small businesses for hiring, aid to state's for economic purposes, extended unemployment benefits, and investments in green energy. Republicans rejected the proposal.

May 27, 2008 - Clark signs compromise stimulus/economic reforms into law

WASHINGTON, DC - President Clark signed into law a stimulus which increased tax credits towards small businesses, extended unemployment benefits, and reduced the corporate tax rate from 35% to 30% immediately. Rudy Giuliani opposed the plan, which cost $300 billion over two years.

June 25, 2008 - As economy worsens, Giuliani calls on congress to pass his tax cut

CLEVELAND, OH - Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee Rudy Giuliani called on congress to pass his tax cut, first introduced by Senator Kit Bond of Missouri and House Majority Leader Eric Cantor in April. "My tax cut will encourage job creation and help families make ends meet, it's the way out of this recession" Giuliani told supporters.

July 15, 2008 - Rudy Giuliani selects Mitt Romney as Vice Presidential Nominee

BOCA RATON, FL - To the surprise of pundits, Republican Presidential Hopeful Rudy Giuliani selected Former Governor of Massachusetts and primary opponent Mitt Romney as his 2008 vice presidential running mate. "Mitt Romney brings to the table experience as a Governor, and in the private sector. Despite being opponents in the primary, Mitt and I have been friends since he supported my bid for U.S. Senate in 2000 and since I supported his run for Governor in 2002. I trust him to be a key advisor to me in these challenging time" Giuliani said of Romney.

August 1, 2008 - Poll: Giuliani/Romney well ahead of Clark/Corzine

Rudy Giuliani / Mitt Romney (R) 49%
Wesley Clark / Jon Corzine (D) 40%

August 5, 2008 - Kerry gives keynote address at DNC

"Wesley Clark has invested in health care, education, and jobs while still holding the line on federal spending. This President has protected our national security and our economic security. He's been a tireless advocate for those who don't have a voice. He has earned another term as President of the United States" - Sen. John Kerry, remarks to 2008 Democratic National Convention.

August 7, 2008 - Vice President Jon Corzine accepts Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination

"Rudy Giuliani believes in giving tax breaks to the well to do, he believes in continuing to remain in Iraq indefinitely, and he's even admitted his desire to gut health care to the very poor. For the past four years, the President and I have restored American leadership here at home while rebuilding the safety net the other party destroyed under George W. Bush. The results have been millions of Americans having health insurance and millions of Americans displaced by the recession finding work" - Vice President Jon Corzine, remarks to 2008 Democratic National Convention

August 8, 2008 - President Wesley Clark accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination

"My administration has been committed to better schools, a stronger infrastructure, greater access to health care, and an end to the war in Iraq. I stand here before you asking you for four more years to finish the important work we began together. Our country faces enormous challenges, and our work is far from over. But, while we have put forth a positive vision to move us forward, our opponents believe in the failed policies of the George Bush administration. While we propose tax cuts for you, they propose tax cuts for the very wealthy. While we have a plan to end the war in Iraq, they oppose even leaving Iraq. While we fight for greater access to health care, they've proposed cutting health care even from poor children. We believe in a brighter future, they are obsessed with the past" - President Wesley Clark, remarks to 2008 Democratic National Convention

August 15, 2008 - Christie gives RNC keynote address

"Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney are proven leaders. They are committed to free markets and a strong national defense, to better schools, quality health care, and energy independence. Both of them seek a brighter future for our kids and for ourselves. But, this President and his failed economic policies stand in the way of that brighter future. This President has failed to lead, Rudy Giuliani is a proven leader, that's the difference" - Gov. Chris Christie, remarks to 2008 Republican National Convention.

August 17, 2008 - Mitt Romney accepts GOP Vice Presidential Nomination

"Rudy Giuliani and I both were executives in liberal places. Both of us cut spending and held the line on taxes while seeing welfare rolls and unemployment decline. Rudy served as a prosecutor who took on corruption, I spent my life in the private sector. We have the experience needed to lead this country in some very challenging times. For four years, this President has had the chance to improve the lives of the American people. Millions of Americans are out of work or seeing their hours cut. The national debt continues to skyrocket each day. The cost of health care is nearly 10% higher than it was four years ago. This President's policies have failed, ours will restore the American dream" - Mitt Romney, remarks to 2008 Republican National Convention

August 18, 2008 - Rudy Giuliani accepts GOP Presidential Nomination

"Our ideas are very clear. The policies we have put forth make sense. We believe in free markets and fiscal discipline. We are standing up for a strong national defense. We trust people, the President trusts government. That is the fundamental difference in this election. While the President proposes stimulus packages, I propose the largest tax relief in the history of our country, a health care plan to help lower the cost of health care, and a repeal of the burdensome regulations of this administration. As Americans, we must always stand up for what is right, and we always will. America must remain a leader in the world, and we must grow our economy here at home." - Rudy Giuliani, remarks to 2008 Republican National Convention
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies