I really wonder if Mondale actually carried Minnesota
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:13:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  I really wonder if Mondale actually carried Minnesota
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I really wonder if Mondale actually carried Minnesota  (Read 6195 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2014, 01:57:45 PM »

Given that it was his single state of the '84 election and given how tight it was (4K votes), I really wonder.  There was a youtube up with some brief NBC coverage.  When Brokaw announced that they were projecting MN for the Democrat, you could see his smile of Glee and there were claps and cheers audible in the background.

If I'm not mistaken, ABC actually called the state soon after 9pm when the polls closed, but for CBS and NBC, it was the final state called that night.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »

It's possible to check this.

Wait a minute.

Mondale 1,036,364
Reagan 1,032,603

Mondale did indeed carry Minnesota.
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 03:07:37 PM »

It's possible to check this.

Wait a minute.

Mondale 1,036,364
Reagan 1,032,603

Mondale did indeed carry Minnesota.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 03:37:05 PM »

I really wonder if Goldwater actually carried Arizona, given it was his weakest victory in '64 Tongue
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 05:09:59 PM »

Given that it was his single state of the '84 election and given how tight it was (4K votes), I really wonder.  There was a youtube up with some brief NBC coverage.  When Brokaw announced that they were projecting MN for the Democrat, you could see his smile of Glee and there were claps and cheers audible in the background.

If I'm not mistaken, ABC actually called the state soon after 9pm when the polls closed, but for CBS and NBC, it was the final state called that night.

Because he was happy about winning his home state?
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 06:44:47 PM »

Mondale rigged Minnesota in 1984...

This might be the silliest conspiracy theory yet, and I'm including the ones involving aliens.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 08:45:55 PM »

Minnesota seems like one of the most unlikely states to ever be rigged for president.

How could you ever convince Minnesotans to do something so unkind and dishonest?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 12:13:04 AM »

Did anyone check for hanging chads?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 09:48:48 AM »

Minnesota seems like one of the most unlikely states to ever be rigged for president.

How could you ever convince Minnesotans to do something so unkind and dishonest?

Yes, they focus all unkind feelings on their 'food'.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »

Well ask Oldiesfreak about Al Franken. This wouldn't be too much of a stretch for the people who agree with him.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 07:28:34 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2014, 08:03:40 PM by TDAS04 »

I really wonder if Bush actually carried Florida in 2000. Tongue
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 08:02:58 PM »

It seems weird that the Democrats would only rig one state
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 07:40:30 AM »

lol
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »

I heard on right wing radio the other day that 6-7 million people illegally voted in the 2012 election...

Don't be on the level of them, or the liberals who don't believe Bush actually won Florida.
NHLiberal

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 07:06:26 PM »

I heard on right wing radio the other day that 6-7 million people illegally voted in the 2012 election...

Don't be on the level of them, or the liberals who don't believe Bush actually won Florida.

Yes...because these claims are totally equally ridiculous. It's not as if one has zero backing and is simply racist propaganda, whereas the other one invokes a complicated scenario involving several unresolved disputes surrounding a poorly designed ballot, voting machine malfunctions in the poorest most Democratic towns, a voter purge aimed at African Americans, and various hanging chad. Nope it's not like that at all, great analogy ElectionsGuy!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 07:45:25 PM »

Guys do you think Mondale really won DC? Like, really, won it?

Let's look at the numbers:

Democrats: 180,408
Republican: 29,000

Does that make sense when Reagan won every other state!? I highly doubt it. Electoral fraud confirmed.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 07:53:54 PM »

Does that make sense when Reagan won every other state!? I highly doubt it. Electoral fraud confirmed.
DC is heavily democrat so it makes sense.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 02:31:22 PM »

Johnson won Arizona
Nixon won Washington in 1968
Nixon won Massachusetts in 1972
Carter won Oregon in 1976
Reagan won Hawaii in 1980
Reagan won Minnesota in 1984
Bush won Washington in 1988
Clinton won North Carolina in 1992
Clinton won Colorado in 1996
Bush won New Mexico in 2000
Bush won Wisconsin on 2004
Obama won Missouri in 2008
Obama won North Carolina in 2012
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 03:01:33 PM »

DC is heavily democrat so it makes sense.

You tell him!
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 03:14:32 PM »

Given that it was his single state of the '84 election and given how tight it was (4K votes), I really wonder.  There was a youtube up with some brief NBC coverage.  When Brokaw announced that they were projecting MN for the Democrat, you could see his smile of Glee and there were claps and cheers audible in the background.

I think he was referring to Brokaw.  His theory seems to be that the "liberal media" rigged MN so Reagan would be denied a 50 state landslide.

On another note, Mondale's performance was absolutely pathetic everywhere. I don't care if things were less polarized back then, there was no excuse for losing MA & RI.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 09:07:24 PM »

Given that it was his single state of the '84 election and given how tight it was (4K votes), I really wonder.  There was a youtube up with some brief NBC coverage.  When Brokaw announced that they were projecting MN for the Democrat, you could see his smile of Glee and there were claps and cheers audible in the background.

You understand, but of course, some people on here just aren't that sharp. 

I think he was referring to Brokaw.  His theory seems to be that the "liberal media" rigged MN so Reagan would be denied a 50 state landslide.

On another note, Mondale's performance was absolutely pathetic everywhere. I don't care if things were less polarized back then, there was no excuse for losing MA & RI.
Correct. You get it, although some on here just aren't that sharp.  NBC called the state at 53-47% with 62% reporting and the race ended up being .18% apart.  Just saying.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 10:38:32 AM »
« Edited: June 29, 2014, 10:40:44 AM by Mechaman »

Correct. You get it, although some on here just aren't that sharp.  NBC called the state at 53-47% with 62% reporting and the race ended up being .18% apart.  Just saying.

I should note that while the race was "just" .18% apart that 3761 votes is still 3761 votes.   While Minnesota doesn't have universal turnout (though it is a lot higher than most other states, due to the culture), if the polls were open maybe an hour later and around 10,000 more voters voted than IRL a Reagan victory might've been possible (though at the same time you could say that Mondale could've possibly won in other states if more voters had more time or were more enthusiastic about voting).  The margin of error certainly is interesting to say the least.

Regardless, the ultimate voting counts were verified by the Minnesota Secretary of State, not NBC, CBS, ABC, or any of those other news networks.

Or maybe Minnesotans just thought it would be mean not to give Mondale at least one state.

Really the question shouldn't be whether or not Mondale did win in Minnesota, but more of a question of how many voters might've sat out the election (both Democratic and Republican) due to the idea that the race was Reagans.  As the man himself joked the day before the election: "I'm certainly worried about my chances!"  Contrary to popular myth, many people actually sat out the election due to the perception that Reagan was going onto win a massive landslide election (and he did).  The results in many places is pretty telling of this.

Also, while I do agree that the average response to this thread was a little bit ignorant of your initial point about election returns, I really don't think that making snide remarks on their intelligence is fitting.  You didn't exactly word this the best way, after all.  We can't read your mind, damn it!
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 02:17:57 PM »

This is the lamest conspiracy theory
sg0508
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 03:10:08 PM »

Correct. You get it, although some on here just aren't that sharp.  NBC called the state at 53-47% with 62% reporting and the race ended up being .18% apart.  Just saying.

I should note that while the race was "just" .18% apart that 3761 votes is still 3761 votes.   While Minnesota doesn't have universal turnout (though it is a lot higher than most other states, due to the culture), if the polls were open maybe an hour later and around 10,000 more voters voted than IRL a Reagan victory might've been possible (though at the same time you could say that Mondale could've possibly won in other states if more voters had more time or were more enthusiastic about voting).  The margin of error certainly is interesting to say the least.

Regardless, the ultimate voting counts were verified by the Minnesota Secretary of State, not NBC, CBS, ABC, or any of those other news networks.

Or maybe Minnesotans just thought it would be mean not to give Mondale at least one state.

Really the question shouldn't be whether or not Mondale did win in Minnesota, but more of a question of how many voters might've sat out the election (both Democratic and Republican) due to the idea that the race was Reagans.  As the man himself joked the day before the election: "I'm certainly worried about my chances!"  Contrary to popular myth, many people actually sat out the election due to the perception that Reagan was going onto win a massive landslide election (and he did).  The results in many places is pretty telling of this.

Also, while I do agree that the average response to this thread was a little bit ignorant of your initial point about election returns, I really don't think that making snide remarks on their intelligence is fitting.  You didn't exactly word this the best way, after all.  We can't read your mind, damn it!
Fair enough, and you are correct in that the Secretary of State ultimately signs off on the tally, not the networks, but it's something I'll always wonder, as Reagan substantially closed the gap as the last 1/4 of the precincts reported. Then again, yes, there have been several incorrect calls by the networks that flipped when the final counts were in (i.e. FL in 2000, OR in 1976, HI/AK/CA in 1960, IL in 1988, etc, etc). Good points though.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 03:22:09 PM »

Another poster on this forum noted a while back that it was odd that NH & GA were called immediately in 1992 even though they were both extremely close.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies