Plane with 239 people on board crashes in Southern Indian Ocean
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:07:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Plane with 239 people on board crashes in Southern Indian Ocean
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Author Topic: Plane with 239 people on board crashes in Southern Indian Ocean  (Read 19453 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 08:29:06 AM »

What the heck ?

First, the airport video-footage apparently showed that the 2 guys with the stolen passports were "Asian-looking".

Now, the guy from the investigation says they look like footballer Mario Balotelli:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/blog/2014/mar/10/malaysia-airlines-flight-370-search-continues-live-updates

Huh

Well, remember the racial confusion over the early pics of the Tsarnaev brothers?  People bring their own assumptions into things like this, and that colors what they see.

Yeah, sure.

But in 2014, we could assume that airports had HD-surveillance cams installed, where you can identify every pimple on a person's face ... Wink

Or at least tell if the person looks like a Thai or like a Mario Balotelli ... Tongue
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 10:24:33 AM »

http://malaysiandigest.com/news/492499-amid-missing-plane-crisis-islamic-groups-want-muslim-rules-on-mas-flights.html

An Islamic Group is pressing for "Muslim Rules" on Malaysian Airlines flights... Do we have a motive here?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 10:41:27 AM »

What amazes me is that it's been three days and they haven't even found any wreckage yet.  I know the waters out there are deep, but no signs at all? 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 02:36:54 PM »

What amazes me is that it's been three days and they haven't even found any wreckage yet.  I know the waters out there are deep, but no signs at all? 

Yeah, I've always thought this area is one of the most busiest in the world, with oil tankers and all other kind of ships passing through to Singapore and from there to China, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc.

So, it's strange that no ship reported plane debris.

Except the plane crashed in the jungle ...

Doesn't NASA have high-resolution satellites that could help spot plane debris ?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 02:43:16 PM »

It might have actually been AirAsia, but I distinctly recall some Muslims got offended because the airline's uniforms were "not in line with Malay and Islamic culture" and then Richard Branson dressed up in drag... wait, no, it was AirAsia. But I know they serve alcohol in the lounges.

EDIT: Oh boo hoo, they look great.

I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 08:07:56 PM »

http://m.smh.com.au/world/missing-malaysia-airlines-plane-fake-passport-holders-were-iranian--report-20140311-hvh9k.html

Seems that the two men that stole passports we're not terrorists.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 08:38:04 PM »

Firstly, anyone who has ever travelled from Asia-Pacific to Europe without paying an exorbitant price knows that you have some very weird routings.  I've been recommended flights to Europe via Shanghai/Beijing/Amsterdam ...

While it's not sensible to rule terrorism out, it seems very unusual to actually risk travelling on stolen passports. It strikes me more as some kind of illegal immigration deal.

The fact that the search area is being expanded and changed quite significantly, suggests the idea that the plane changed course might have some validity.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2014, 08:47:46 PM »

Why would the plans change course, are they referring to the plane after the pilots knew they were in danger?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2014, 09:13:04 PM »

Iranian? Surely that raises the probability, not lowers it?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2014, 09:58:06 PM »

Not really... it certainly suggests back-channel immigration to me more than terror
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2014, 03:55:31 AM »

New development:

The 2 with the stolen passports could have been simple asylum seekers who wanted to go to Germany and Denmark.

The 19-year old Iranian wanted to travel to Frankfurt, where his mother lives to visit her.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 04:02:56 AM »

So, we have a 19-year old Iranian - checking in with a stolen passport on which his birth date is 1984 (so 29/30 years old) - while the actual guy who is safe in Austria is 60 years old:

http://www.krone.at/Oesterreich/Phantom-Passagier_auf_Flug_MH370_hatte_seinen_Pass-Im_Krone-Gespraech-Story-396497

Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2014, 04:48:55 AM »

Helpful AFP graphic:

What if the jet went down over some jungle in Northern Malaysia, Southern Thailand or in Cambodia ?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2014, 05:30:03 AM »

I have looked through NASA's high-definition satellite image of the region from the day of the crash, but didn't find much clues:

http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/imagery/subsets/?subset=Indochina2.2014068.terra.250m.jpg

Maybe you have more luck ...

Or maybe the resolution is still not good enough to spot plane debris, oil, etc.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2014, 06:22:45 AM »

For the record, Kuala Lumpur may have rather irregular and expensive flights into Europe, so it is perfectly reasonable that Beijing would be a layover point. Singapore might have been more convenient, but it might have been more expensive. Who knows? There are lots of answers to this. It's not particularly easy to fly from point A to point B in Asia is my point, anyway.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2014, 09:48:37 AM »

From what I'm hearing on the media, 1.) there is no debris in the waters; 2.) the plane may have been changing course abruptly but there was no required radio communication; 3.) the plane dropped off radar abruptly with no transponder info and no other instrument indication; 4.) despite the significant boat traffic in those waters, there are no eyewitness accounts of anything; 5.) since then, multiple countries have been involved in a search effort examining all available evidence and have come up with nothing.  I mean seriously, what the hell??  The plane didn't vaporize, and it wasn't beamed out of the present time by a Star Trek vessel three centuries in the future.  A massive aircraft like this can just suddenly disappear suddenly without a trace?  Unless someone knows something that is not being released to the public, this is, beyond the tragedy involved, very seriously odd.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2014, 09:58:39 AM »

According to the latest developments, the plane made a u-turn in North Malaysia just into the Gulf of Thailand and then went towards the Strait of Malakka for ANOTHER HOUR or so, WITHOUT tracking systems on ... WTF ?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2014, 10:01:31 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Huh
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »

At this point I'm beginning to wonder if Malaysia Airlines flight 370 in addition to being code shared as China Southern Airlines flight 748 might not also have another code share as Oceanic Airlines flight 815.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2014, 10:16:42 AM »

If it strayed off course it's odd that it dropped off radar and that there was no communication from any person on board, evidently. Wonder if something happened to render everyone unconscious? I mean it's starting to sound like science fiction.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2014, 11:41:22 AM »

At this point I'm beginning to wonder if Malaysia Airlines flight 370 in addition to being code shared as China Southern Airlines flight 748 might not also have another code share as Oceanic Airlines flight 815.

Is that LOST reference supposed to be joke, or are we supposed to be looking for a smoke monster?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2014, 12:23:34 PM »

What the heck ?

First, the airport video-footage apparently showed that the 2 guys with the stolen passports were "Asian-looking".

Now, the guy from the investigation says they look like footballer Mario Balotelli:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/blog/2014/mar/10/malaysia-airlines-flight-370-search-continues-live-updates

Huh

Well, remember the racial confusion over the early pics of the Tsarnaev brothers?  People bring their own assumptions into things like this, and that colors what they see.

Mario Balotelli

Guy who looks like Mario Balotelli
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2014, 03:49:40 PM »

The quote was that "like Balotelli, a person's nationality may not be what their appearance might suggest," not that the guy looked like Balotelli. Substandard Buzz-feed-esque modern journalism at work.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2014, 03:58:52 PM »

Aliens. It's gotta be.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2014, 03:59:47 PM »

I give it 1:12 odds it was the Russians trying to distract everyone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies