Plane with 239 people on board crashes in Southern Indian Ocean
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:06:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Plane with 239 people on board crashes in Southern Indian Ocean
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Author Topic: Plane with 239 people on board crashes in Southern Indian Ocean  (Read 19461 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2014, 05:45:19 PM »

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missing-jet/radar-shows-plane-deliberately-flew-toward-indian-ocean-reports-n52561

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The article also mentions that scientists at the University of Science and Technology of China report that they detected a "seismic event" consistent with a plane crash "on the sea floor close to where the missing jet disappeared from civilian radar screens" at 2:55am, which would have been ~90 minutes after the plane was last seen by civilian radar.

I don't buy this - planes generally don't hit the bottom like the Titanic.

And I kind of agree with Ernest here, why would anyone with a motive to proclaim bring the plane down in a way that it can't be found?

There is something seriously fishy about this whole thing and frankly I'm having a hard time thinking of plausible scenarios.

Maybe there's someone on the plane named Gilligan, so now they're marooned somewhere?

Nope.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2014, 07:47:52 PM »

On that seismic event:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/rival-theories-on-malaysia-flights-disappearance/2014/03/14/1bf1d5d6-abb5-11e3-b8ca-197ef3568958_story.html

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2014, 10:32:22 PM »

The theories are getting increasingly wild:

link
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2014, 10:45:31 PM »

I know it's extremely unlikely, but I'm sort of worried we will be seeing this plane again in a not-so-nice way.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2014, 11:10:01 PM »

Its in orbit at this point. Will be hard to locate.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2014, 11:11:47 PM »

Malaysian now saying the flight was hijacked and that it's not a theory, it's "conclusive".  

http://news.yahoo.com/malaysian-investigators-conclude-flight-hijacked-035744022.html

I'm sure the "conclusive" part is subject to change
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2014, 12:04:43 AM »

Malaysian now saying the flight was hijacked and that it's not a theory, it's "conclusive".  

http://news.yahoo.com/malaysian-investigators-conclude-flight-hijacked-035744022.html

Everything from the Malaysians has been subject to change.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2014, 02:34:16 AM »

Everything from the Malaysians has been subject to change.

And I'm pretty than once it's finished, some people involved in that inquiry will be subject to change, since they are not very competent.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2014, 04:42:00 AM »

If it is some kind of hijacking, how many people would need to be involved?  Someone probably has some counterexamples, but it's hard for me to see how one man could hijack a commercial airliner by himself.  Even if he has a weapon, it would be too easy to be overpowered by the other passengers.  I'd assume you'd need at least three or four.

If authorities know the identity of everyone on the plane, then you can piece together which passengers would have known each other, and I'd imagine that there's a fairly limited number of suspects, especially since it sounds like the supposed hijacker(s) had sophisticated knowledge regarding the transponder, where to fly to, etc.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2014, 04:50:33 AM »

On the other hand, reading this: http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/malaysian-airlines-flight-370-possibly-hijacked/

it sounds like hijacking a commercial flight might be easier than you would think.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2014, 05:42:41 AM »

Here's the plane's range:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/new-twist-in-the-hunt-for-missing-plane/2014/03/13/dcee10da-aae6-11e3-98f6-8e3c562f9996_graphic.html

If it really had 7 hours worth of fuel, than anywhere within the outer circle shown above is possible.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2014, 06:02:17 AM »

It's a hijacking no doubt. They'll find it. Patience.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2014, 07:32:07 AM »

To me, in some ways, it's just too perfect.

Even though it was a night time flight... some passengers would have known something was wrong. No phone calls? Flight-crews are very well trained when it comes to hijackings... if anyone knew something was wrong they did... and they didn't act? Or try to get a message out?

I mean, flying for 7.5 hours ... did they incapacitate 230 people?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2014, 07:59:29 AM »

Even though it was a night time flight... some passengers would have known something was wrong. No phone calls? Flight-crews are very well trained when it comes to hijackings... if anyone knew something was wrong they did... and they didn't act? Or try to get a message out?

If the hijacking happened when they were out over the ocean, there'd be no way for them to call out, no?  I mean, you need a cell tower nearby for your phone to work.  Yes, they apparently doubled back and briefly flew over land again for a while, but I don't know how populated that area is, if their phones would have worked.

Also, according to this: http://time.com/25814/report-flight-370-shifted-altitude-and-path-after-dropping-contact/

they think the plane went all the way up to 45,000 feet before descending again.  It's possible they were trying to disorient the passengers.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »

Why not ? If they were like half a dozen, they could well kill 230 people. See Breivik.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2014, 08:06:58 AM »

Why not ? If they were like half a dozen, they could well kill 230 people. See Breivik.

Again, there are explanations, but it just all seems so odd... Why bother hijacking a plane if you didn't intend to announce it? If your intention wasn't to actually kill everyone ... would you do something to damage the plane if you intended to use it?

All of these things in isolation have explanations, but together, they fit together far too well.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2014, 08:19:50 AM »

Searchers are looking at two corridors for the plane: a Northern corridor to the *stans, and a Southern corridor to the Andamans.

Obviously, if they were heading towards the *stans, they probably didn't get all that far, unless India et al. have been participating in a massive cover-up.  The Andamans seem remote enough that they'd be more likely, although what on earth would a hijacker be doing going there?  Some sort of really weirdly convoluted murder-suicide type thing?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2014, 08:20:20 AM »

Something to keep in mind (from that Wired article I linked to earlier):

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2014, 08:46:37 AM »

I give up on this.

They'll probably never find it, or they are just covering stuff up because they don't want to admit what happened.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2014, 08:49:39 AM »

I give up on this.

They'll probably never find it, or they are just covering stuff up because they don't want to admit what happened.

I think someone will stumble on the wreckage at some point.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2014, 08:52:10 AM »

I give up on this.

They'll investigate the lives of the passengers who have any technical know-how about flying, and could potentially pull off a hijacking.  If it really was some kind of a hijacking, then there's a decent chance that there was advance planning, and clues left behind by whoever pulled it off.

If there was no hijacking…..then yeah, they may never find it.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2014, 01:29:19 PM »

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missing-jet/radar-shows-plane-deliberately-flew-toward-indian-ocean-reports-n52561

The article also mentions that scientists at the University of Science and Technology of China report that they detected a "seismic event" consistent with a plane crash "on the sea floor close to where the missing jet disappeared from civilian radar screens" at 2:55am, which would have been ~90 minutes after the plane was last seen by civilian radar.

I don't buy this - planes generally don't hit the bottom like the Titanic.

And I kind of agree with Ernest here, why would anyone with a motive to proclaim bring the plane down in a way that it can't be found?

There is something seriously fishy about this whole thing and frankly I'm having a hard time thinking of plausible scenarios.

Someone who doesn't want the plane to be found. I doubt this is terrorism, at least in the traditional sense. Either it is some psychological problem with the pilots, or someone wants something from one of the passengers. It is quite possible the plane landed somewhere. You don't necessarily need a big, fancy runway to land a plane.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2014, 06:17:48 PM »

The latest rumour ... sigh, is that the Indian Military night have shot it down over the Andaman Islands ... unresponsive passenger liner, heading towards its large-scale military and space facilities...
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #123 on: March 15, 2014, 07:07:27 PM »

Must be posted for obvious reasons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQDUtjwoaTY
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2014, 08:54:53 PM »

Bloomberg sez that the last satellite transmission was about 1,000 miles West of Perth Australia, but that it may have kept on going after that, except for a group of islands called the French Southern and Antarctic Lands there's nothing out there.  Really, it looks like an incredibly cruel elongated suicide.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-14/india-looking-for-malaysian-jet-as-u-s-sees-air-piracy.html
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies