Plane with 239 people on board crashes in Southern Indian Ocean
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:04:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Plane with 239 people on board crashes in Southern Indian Ocean
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: Plane with 239 people on board crashes in Southern Indian Ocean  (Read 19423 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2014, 09:29:47 PM »

Oh for God's sake...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2014, 11:02:20 PM »

The latest rumour ... sigh, is that the Indian Military night have shot it down over the Andaman Islands ... unresponsive passenger liner, heading towards its large-scale military and space facilities...

According to who? India shooting it down over the Andamans is inconsistent with the data we have about the engines running for 4 hours.

The theory about the plane going into the southern Indian ocean is interesting as that is a good way of making sure no one ever finds the plane. Maybe it was a pilot suicide but he didn't want the truth to come out?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2014, 11:36:56 PM »

The latest rumour ... sigh, is that the Indian Military night have shot it down over the Andaman Islands ... unresponsive passenger liner, heading towards its large-scale military and space facilities...

According to who? India shooting it down over the Andamans is inconsistent with the data we have about the engines running for 4 hours.

The theory about the plane going into the southern Indian ocean is interesting as that is a good way of making sure no one ever finds the plane. Maybe it was a pilot suicide but he didn't want the truth to come out?

As I said, rumour.

The fact that the Indians have apparently been asked to halt the SaR activities, suggests more and more to me that there's evidence the Northern corridor is being phased out and the focus is on the Southern towards the middle of the Southern Indian Ocean...

If that is the case... unless they've made some kind of crash landing in the Western Australian desert, there's almost nowhere landing is plausible... that part of the Indian Ocean is pretty much the absolute limit of the plane's capacity.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2014, 12:13:28 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2014, 12:19:24 AM by dingojoe »

The theory that it might have been shot down by one of the countries in the region seems less likely after reading this:

http://news.yahoo.com/malaysian-plane-saga-highlights-air-defense-gaps-165945271--sector.html

It's just not a region with that level of conflict/readiness.  India almost certainly has every radar along it's border with Pakistan running, but what about the radar in the Andamans?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2014, 01:27:09 AM »

My gut tells me its not terrorism.  If this was terrorism, its probably the strangest act of terrorism that's ever been perpetuated in history.

I keep coming-back to the slow-decompression theory, but that does not explain the apparent turn the jetliner made towards the Indian Ocean. 
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2014, 01:32:17 AM »

My gut tells me its not terrorism.  If this was terrorism, its probably the strangest act of terrorism that's ever been perpetuated in history.

I keep coming-back to the slow-decompression theory, but that does not explain the apparent turn the jetliner made towards the Indian Ocean. 

Terrorism must shock and terrorize people. People are not shocked nor terrorized, they are confused, right now.

A political message would make more sense, since people all around the world are listening to it, right now, but there is no message found yet. They attracted our attention, but failed to sent a message yet.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2014, 01:33:52 AM »

Why I Think It’s Very Possible That the Missing Airliner Is in Central Asia
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2014, 01:48:39 AM »

I'm still astonished than the NSA is able to read every eamil I write, but is not able to track a gigantic plane (one could have thought than after 9/11, they would track planes!)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2014, 01:48:57 AM »

Really, it looks like an incredibly cruel elongated suicide.

Yeah, that sounds like as strong a bet as any at the moment.  If one of the two pilots goes crazy, and decides to kill himself in a spectacular way that takes the rest of the passengers and crew down with him, then he incapacitates his copilot and locks the cockpit door to prevent anyone else from getting in.  Then he takes the plane to the deep waters of the southern Indian Ocean where authorities probably won't find the wreckage for years.  He wouldn't need any accomplices to pull this off, but could do it all on his own.

Though I guess I don't know whether the cockpit door is impenetrable.  The passengers on United 93 tried to get through it on their flight, but I don't think it's clear if they ever made it through.  What about the door on this model of plane?  In case of a hijacking, would a passenger revolt be able to make it through the locked cockpit door?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2014, 01:51:12 AM »

Can't the pilot just cut the oxygen in the plane (but the cockpit)?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: March 16, 2014, 01:52:12 AM »

It's not a bad theory at all, but it does seem to appear that the evidence is shifting the focus to the South, rather than Central Asia.

IF the plane was hijacked for a purpose, taking it to Central Asia makes perfect sense... it's just that the evidence as it stands does not support that.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2014, 02:25:03 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2014, 03:46:04 AM by Likely Voter »

Can't the pilot just cut the oxygen in the plane (but the cockpit)?
He can depresurize the plane but only the whole plane. That would automatically deploy the little oxygen masks in the passenger cabin, however each of those only has about 20 minutes of air. The pilots have their own separate air mask supply.

As for the door, Air Malaysia does have hardened doors so you cant get through.

If you were bent on doing this kind of horrible thing, here is how you would do it.
Step 1. Kill the other pilot - there is a fire axe in the cockpit
Step 2. Put on your air mask
Step 3. Depressurize the plane to kill the passengers (take it up to max altitude to speed things up)

But the whole suicide thing doesn't really account for why the pilot would fly around for 7 hours. Why not go from Step 1 above to "dive plane into the ocean". The only plausible thing I could think of is if one of the pilots wanted to kill himself but didn't want anyone to know he killed himself, maybe due to shame to his family or possibly insurance money.

Bottom line is that if you take all the apparent facts for this thing, they don't match any other air incident. This is a whole new kind of thing. Either that, or some of the 'confirmed' info isn't actually correct.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #137 on: March 16, 2014, 02:42:14 AM »

I'm still astonished than the NSA is able to read every eamil I write, but is not able to track a gigantic plane (one could have thought than after 9/11, they would track planes!)

Please stop.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #138 on: March 16, 2014, 03:23:48 AM »

Yikes.  Now there are reports that one of the pilots was an active member of the opposition party in Malaysia.  And so some opposition leaders are warning the government against accusing the pilots of wrongdoing for political purposes:

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missing-jet/malaysian-opposition-fears-political-aim-jet-crisis-n53826
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: March 16, 2014, 03:30:37 AM »

This is why heightened security at airports, another Patriot Act, and armed federal officers on our flights. At least a quarter of the total number of passengers should be there for security.

What?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2014, 04:45:20 AM »

This is why heightened security at airports, another Patriot Act, and armed federal officers on our flights. At least a quarter of the total number of passengers should be there for security.

This might be the best idea I've ever heard.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2014, 05:05:12 AM »

Maybe there was something (or someone) on the plane that someone wanted to make sure was never seen again?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2014, 05:54:18 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10700652/Malaysia-Airline-MH370-911-style-terror-allegations-resurface-in-case-of-lost-plane.html

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2014, 09:18:53 AM »

As I said, rumour.

The fact that the Indians have apparently been asked to halt the SaR activities, suggests more and more to me that there's evidence the Northern corridor is being phased out and the focus is on the Southern towards the middle of the Southern Indian Ocean...

If that is the case... unless they've made some kind of crash landing in the Western Australian desert, there's almost nowhere landing is plausible... that part of the Indian Ocean is pretty much the absolute limit of the plane's capacity.

If the plane did go towards the southern Indian ocean, the pilot suicide theory is most likely true. Maybe he just didn't want his family to find out what he did?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2014, 07:31:12 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2014, 07:35:31 PM by Simfan34 »

I was going to spew some nonsense conspiracy theory (namely that the plane was diverted to Eastern Russia or one of the 'stans in secret to distract from events in the Ukraine) but this is more outlandish than anything I could have ever thought of... right now the plane seems to be a sort of pin ball zinging around Asia.

...you're advocating an American Stasi? That would do wonders for ticket prices. Roll Eyes
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2014, 07:40:58 PM »

Meanwhile, some support for my zany conspiracy theory:

Missing Airliner May Have Reached Central Asia. Could the Passengers Still Be Alive?

link
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2014, 07:54:08 PM »

What is interesting that a few days ago some US experts were saying that there is no evidence of a crash and that some sort of signal would have been sent if that occurred. And even if the pilot wanted to find an isolated place for a suicide, why fly for that long? Even getting a couple of hours south of Indonesia would have put them in pretty isolated waters. Also, getting across the India-Pakistan border undetected would be pretty hard to do but other areas might not be so hard. That being said, I would think India would have good radar coverage looking into China....at least they should. Maybe they don't.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2014, 08:18:23 PM »

Seems I'm not the only one thinking about it...

Did Russia Hijack MH370?

http://ttlgb.blogspot.com/
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2014, 08:22:01 PM »

At this point the actual explanation is going to be so bizarre and seemingly unlikely that conspiracy theories are going to float around forever.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2014, 09:14:57 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-flight.html?_r=0

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies