Favourite latest post by previous poster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:56:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favourite latest post by previous poster
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 56
Author Topic: Favourite latest post by previous poster  (Read 91659 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: January 21, 2015, 08:33:52 PM »

A very healthy attitude.

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #776 on: January 21, 2015, 08:36:59 PM »

Snowstalker, if in the future you could not sully my great works by quoting them into your deranged ramblings, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #777 on: January 21, 2015, 08:44:57 PM »

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #778 on: January 21, 2015, 09:48:32 PM »

At least this means Dave Leip will have some company
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #779 on: January 21, 2015, 09:55:46 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There's something morbidly hilarious about coming to that conclusion when it comes to an Atlasian trying to ask someone out.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #780 on: January 21, 2015, 10:01:14 PM »

Oregon, but:

All three of these states pale in comparison to California.

Indeed, but for some reason or another, Atlasia has a rural Northwest fetish, with Portland being the best city.

But the Crater Lake state beats the heck out of Washington, and the decidedly coastless Vermont.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #781 on: January 21, 2015, 11:29:26 PM »

Yes, every Republican since Nixon has run on the New Jim Crow platform of gutting welfare and locking up minorities.

H-Y-P-E-R-B-O-L-E.

Not really.

New Jim Crow?!  I'd like to hear how.

I'm also starting to believe our token three communists are all the same poster, LOL...

Racialized enforcement of the War on Drugs has been the most prominent example of this. African-Americans and Latin@s are extremely more likely than non-hispanic whites to get arrested for minor drug offenses despite high rates of drug usage regardless of race. And the school to prison pipeline has been a much more prominent factor in communities of color.

Add to this Republican rhetoric about welfare and crime, both of which where and are extremely racialized in the public discourse. The White community, in general, in the 60s-80s still retained most of its old-fashioned racist ideals[1], (see no majority support for interracial marriage until the 1990s) which in the Northeast and Midwest in particular entailed a certain degree of paranoia about rising crime rates, which were concentrated in the mostly minority, poor inner cities.

Additionally, the racist tint to the GOP can be seen on the state level quite clearly as well. This is most salient regarding transportation and urban policy, another issue which tends to be quite racially tinged. A lot of this dates back to sundown town policies/redlining. These, along with other forms of unofficial but de facto segregation, were the norm in American suburbia well into the 1990s[2]; the few places which did not maintain this generally experienced massive white flight.

[1] As opposed to the more recent unpleasantness.
[2] The South is generally a bit different though no less virulent in its bigotry; but residential segregation was less of an aspect of that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #782 on: January 22, 2015, 05:38:08 AM »

Based on what I know about him from the past, he seems to have quite a different background than the average Atlas poster. I think that's part of the perceived issue, and something with which many on this forum have a hard time dealing.

Care to elaborate, or would that be breaking confidentiality or something?

I can see how that sort of thing might lead to misunderstandings and unwarranted HP votes in general... but man, that Elliot Rodger line was just so utterly inexcusable and beyond the pale no matter your background.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #783 on: January 22, 2015, 12:01:05 PM »

The worst thing about you isn't that you are obtuse. It's that you are obtuse in such a stale, boring and predictable way.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #784 on: January 22, 2015, 04:10:51 PM »

Any Dem will probably win the 1st, but if Culver is still unpopular, we could use a better candidate than him for the 3rd.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #785 on: January 22, 2015, 04:18:13 PM »

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #786 on: January 24, 2015, 12:56:56 AM »

I used to like him, but that was when I was under the illusion that he was the most electable Republican Presidential candidate. HP.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #787 on: January 24, 2015, 01:20:58 AM »

The first thing to note about the hijab and niqab is that it often (not always, perhaps not even most of the time) genuinely is a personal choice to wear one, as opposed to the burqa, of which to the best of my knowledge that's (outside already extraordinarily conservative Muslim countries) very seldom the case. The second thing to note is that the reason why many women choose to do so--this is something that Muslim women I know have told me personally--is feminist, or at least proto-feminist since this rationale wasn't originally developed in cultures in which feminism was conceptually present, in that it's concerned with averting or deflecting the male gaze (whether this is the effect that it has is a separate question). This isn't a form of feminism for which I expect the sex-positive liberal feminists of Atlas Forum to have much sympathy, but it is a feminist idea nonetheless.

This isn't to say that wearing it is generally 'a feminist choice' (and yes, I do think that there are such things as feminist choices and non-feminist choices, which is why I didn't just end this post after the first sentence), but it is to say that prohibiting it would be removing what is a feminist choice for many people. Again, what's being discussed here isn't just discouraging certain types of dress, or opposing or lamenting their intrusion into cultural spheres in which they weren't previously present, it's banning them. Prohibiting them from being worn under penalty of law. In general I think that passing laws about how women can and cannot dress should be presumed anti-feminist. Which obviously means that requiring hijab or niqab is also anti-feminist, indeed much more obviously so.

Impeding communication especially for children and the hard-of-hearing is a genuinely good reason to consider wearing facial coverings a bad idea, but the idea that they're, in other ways, 'anti-human' would seem to rely on assumptions about what is and isn't characteristic of 'humanity' that it does not strike me as rational to expect everybody in a pluralistic society to share. Especially since there are also issues of post-colonial identity involved.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #788 on: January 24, 2015, 01:34:07 AM »

Now for something quite different; I suppose I'm a few Hours early for this to be a #ThrowbackThursday post, but here ya go.

One of the fun facts about Louisiana is that its had more constitutions (11) than any other state. The current version was the product of a convention called during Edwin Edwards' first term, in 1973. The Constitution before that was from the early 1920's and had over 500 (!) amendments. The convention of 1973 started with a great deal of hope and enthusiasm, but turned into something of a cluster. Still, the legislators came up with a draft and put it up for a vote in April 1974.

I've been looking around for a while for a parish-level map of the vote; I couldn't find it anywhere until I recently thought to just request data from the secretary of state!

(And yes, as I've done a few times before, I used the LA colors (purple/gold) instead of red/blue Wink )

As far as the coalitions go, I was actually expecting something that looked like the current D/R coalition. The new constitution expanded the jurisdiction/taxing power of local governments, so I naturally expected the more fiscally conservative areas to be against it. That pretty much holds up in the north. From what I understand, most of the younger, reform-minded legislators who pushed hardest for the new constitution were from the New Orleans metro/eastern Acadiana, which must be why it did so well there.

Also of note is that the jungle primary was established through this constitution.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #789 on: January 24, 2015, 05:03:49 AM »

There's definitely good country out there, though most is trash. I don't know that I can say the same for pop punk. I do like Charli XCX though, but I don't know if she counts.

...what the hell? Why the hell would she?

Plenty of people have labeled her pop punk, from Slate to Rolling Stone to the BBC:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/charli-xcx-sucker-20141217
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-25330600
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/12/02/charli_xcx_breaking_up_video_watch_the_singer_kiss_her_ex_goodbye_with_a.html
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #790 on: January 24, 2015, 06:23:51 AM »

35% True Leftists (Atlasian Labor Party flavor)
30% Useless Right-Wing Stooges
7% Freakish Nazis
6% Useless Moderate Heroes
5% True Leftists (M.E.L.S. flavor)
5% Mega-Super-Ultra-Useless Jimintō-Except-Left-Leaning
4% Maybe-Less-Useless-But-Kookier Right-Wing Stooges
3% LOLPapandreou
5% Other

Seats:

TL (ALP) 144
U-RWS 77
FN 19
U-MH 16
TL (MELS) 14
MSUU-JELL 12
MLUBK-RWS 10
LP 8

You know. Give or take.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #791 on: January 24, 2015, 08:21:15 PM »

This Republican primary is shaping up to be something really special. I cannot wait for it to begin.

All that's missing is HERMAN CAIN!!!
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #792 on: January 24, 2015, 08:32:18 PM »

LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #793 on: January 25, 2015, 08:14:27 PM »

This is such an inevitable process........it would be nice for it to just end already with a SCOTUS ruling.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #794 on: January 25, 2015, 08:22:54 PM »

Now as for P.G. Sittenfeld being in the race - The party sees strong potential in Sittenfeld and he needs and deserves this statewide run. Chairman Pepper is ready to enthusiastically back his friend Sittenfeld in his candidacy, and a lot of that can be seen through Pepper's latest role in setting up a mainstreet fund initiative to win big again in Ohio's 2015 municipal races (like we did in 2013). The whole goal of that is to create a future, and larger bench, and begin running some of these names statewide who have been in local politics for awhile now like P.G.

It would be tough for P.G. to win barring a wave if he doesn't get the proper resources, but the sooner he gets out there, the better. Sure the City Council isn't that good of a place to jump from, though this is the same guy that got more votes in 2013 than Mayor Cranley got in his race against Qualls, and raised close to 1/2 a million in a City Council race alone. Who knows how much he can raise in his U.S. Senate bid.

Point is though, don't consider just his current office when you think of whether P.G.'s a good or bad candidate for 2016.

As he starts to build experience, name ID and a large network, he will get Ohio donations as there's more assurance he becomes the actual nominee, and the ODP will certainly help him out with that. And luckily, Ohio is considered part of the national party's map back to a majority, so he will get a good amount of DSCC support needed to run an effective campaign to fight the onslaught that Portman will throw at him.

There is also the fact that Ohio gets affected by national climates. 2010/2014 GOP waves hurt the state party immensely while 2008/2012 we got our candidates elected, and quite frankly, P.G. is someone who could really help in turning out the base in Ohio. He works great with social media and on the road with crowds, and holds some very strong principles.

For the record, I will be a part of his early campaign, but I'm not donating anything until I know that he's staying in for sure (considering the rumors that he might drop out if a higher-profile Democrat jumps in).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #795 on: January 25, 2015, 08:48:56 PM »

warms my old heart to see a tale as inspiring as this one:

Not sure it was the Atlas itself that changed my ideology, but I was a Ron Paul libertarian when I joined and became a liberal Democrat regarding economics after getting active on the forum.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #796 on: January 25, 2015, 08:55:52 PM »

Bushie is there a reason you've turned so violently against President Barack Obama in the past few weeks? Do you blame him for your current unemployment situation?

His administration has been an absolute catastrophe for the country.  His policies are by and large devastating and debilitating to the country.  On top of that, he's too arrogant.  It's his way or the highway.  He expects every person in America to think like him and welcome his liberal, progressive, anti-Christian agenda.

What made you change your mind about him? Was it the declining employment rate? Or the surging GDP? Or maybe the quickly dropping price of gas? Or the ten million fewer uninsured people? Because you voted for him twice.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #797 on: January 25, 2015, 08:58:28 PM »

warms my old heart to see a tale as inspiring as this one:

Not sure it was the Atlas itself that changed my ideology, but I was a Ron Paul libertarian when I joined and became a liberal Democrat regarding economics after getting active on the forum.

I remember that Brewer, at one point he became more lefty than me iirc and came back down to a liberal Democrat.

Thank you Freedom Hawk, for taking the stand for all the world to see why pure Libertarianism is horrendous and does not work in reality. The government is not always perfect, but preventing and prosecuting child abuse and child endangerment is something that it should take under its wing. Anti-Vaxxers clearly put their children at a probablisticly greater rate of death or disability, and it is a relatively easy thing for the government to check for.

"THE GREATER GOOD" is an equally valid, if not superior argument in favor of mandating vaccines that don't have a medical conflict. A fundamental obligation of government is to provide for the security and well being of its citizens. This is often interpreted in a militaristic context, but disease also falls under its purview. This is why we establish entities like the CDC to do research and propose policy recommendations. Citizens refusing vaccines prevent the eradication of deadly diseases and weaken herd immunity.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #798 on: January 25, 2015, 09:12:37 PM »

traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #799 on: January 25, 2015, 09:41:15 PM »

Since this is coming to an end, would people be interested in me starting another one of these with the next 32 largest metro areas?

(in other words, yes please!)
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 56  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies