Favourite latest post by previous poster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:30:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favourite latest post by previous poster
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 56
Author Topic: Favourite latest post by previous poster  (Read 91650 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: July 21, 2014, 03:33:50 AM »

Based on Article 2, Section 2 of the Constitution, it appears that the President can appoint justices when he wants to.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It doesn't seem as if the President has a time limit in which he has to fill court vacancies. Considering that we have a lower-level court vacancy from 2005, I have my doubts that there is anything that could be done to increase the speed of the nomination process.

If, say, a Supreme Court vacancy came up in the year a President was up for re-election, and the President's party lacked control of the Senate, he could take a risk and wait to fill the vacancy until after the election in hopes of being reelected and having his party take control of the Senate.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #576 on: July 21, 2014, 06:20:07 PM »

Marriage equality strengthens families.  There are thousands upon thousands of abandoned children created from failed heterosexual relationships, who are now finding homes with dual-income couples who have only recently been able to prove to a court their suitability as adoptive parents.

And that doesn't even take into account the gay couples who create life via biological means.  (e.g. surrogate mothers, sperm donors, etc.)

And that is the key. All you need to do to be endowed with legal rights over a child instantanously is to have sex. That is it. And we have a society in which children's rights as a concept appear to be subservient at all times to the whims of the parent. The idea that children have rights independent of and at times contrary to their own parents is an enigma to some people. The rights of children are often not served in the heterosexual relationship, whether fleeting or embedded, that brought them into the world and the idea that the generations of heterosexual, married relationships that form and shatter and reform and have f-cked up so many people are automatically better for a child than another mother and father, or two fathers, or two mothers, or the aunt or the grandparent is a disgrace.

It is the job of the government and society to support all families that support each other and provide love and support for children whether they be their own or someone elses. The 'nuclear family' closes off this difference by insinuating other arrangements are lesser or not appropriate. It is this compact, self serving and often patriarical unit that has also led to the disconnect that has shattered what the 'family' used to be; cutting off the extended family as care givers and subjecting the elderly to being removed from the family care unit altogether when they are too old or too difficult to handle.

afleitch is a treasure.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #577 on: July 21, 2014, 06:29:49 PM »

Jesus Christ, man. I mean Shelby's one thing, but Sessions is.......

The quote is pretty funny, though.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #578 on: July 21, 2014, 07:06:06 PM »

Glad to see some sort of emotion in your posts for once. Maybe there's a few hormones in that body of yours after all.

Why would it be so much worse if there weren't? Are you really that unwilling to just apologize for insulting me because I had the temerity to point out that you were phrasing a somewhat grandiose generalization as some sort of universal psychological fact? Does that really offend your sensibilities so God-damn much?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Whatever. I hope your nonexistent country becomes a republic.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #579 on: July 21, 2014, 07:20:53 PM »

What was your most memorable sighting of one or more animals in the wild?

Mine easily was during the boat trip I took off of Alaska, when I saw a humpback whale with her calf, as well as a pod of killer whales.  (I did not get to see the killer whales attack the humpbacks.)  There were also several dolphins and porpoises.

One other memorable animal sighting was in when I saw a moose for the first time in Montana.

I'm a little disappointed, because I was reading through Nat's posts and was about to paste an outstanding one about homosexuality from the AMA thread.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #580 on: July 21, 2014, 07:28:37 PM »

This is so creepy.

Just pointing that out. Carry on.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #581 on: July 21, 2014, 08:19:19 PM »

Adam, for the love of all that is holy, quit changing your signature back to this format. It stretches the page to the point that posts are unreadable.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #582 on: July 21, 2014, 09:55:11 PM »

No reason for me to apologize. I said celibates are emotionally off-kilter and your responses to me certainly don't have me second guessing that assertion.

How was I supposed to respond? Laugh and pretend to agree? Disagree but not say anything? Make my original, studiously unemotive response, and then ignore your subsequent personal attacks? You haven't, incidentally, given any indication as to how you think I'm 'emotionally off-kilter', other than, apparently, taking it personally when I'm repeatedly insulted by somebody who's never met me. I have no idea what the acceptable range of emotion or emotional expression in King-verse even is, except that sexual activity (or just desire for sexual activity? What is the minimum amount of sex necessary to be well-adjusted in your worldview?--Rhetorical question; I have no interest in knowing the answer to this) is absolutely mandatory for some reason.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #583 on: July 22, 2014, 04:45:25 AM »

Just because they're too lazy and cheap to go full cosplay, and skimp with just a t-shirt, doesn't actually change what they're doing.  Tongue
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #584 on: July 22, 2014, 05:13:26 AM »

Hey Carl.........

So, I know we weren't exactly fond of each other last year around this time, but "Brony Fitz" is gone and I have improved quite a bit; though I'm now considered the residential Democratic Party hack by some lol. Tongue

Anyways, welcome back! Hopefully, our relationship or even just our views on each other can get better soon.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #585 on: July 22, 2014, 06:34:28 AM »

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #586 on: July 22, 2014, 07:12:51 AM »

Should the Kentucky Democratic Party endorse mandatory gay marriage for everyone in order to become more competitive?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #587 on: July 22, 2014, 10:04:10 AM »

Guys, most of the "don't remember" were Romney voters. (just see Obama's approval among them: 13/76). I think the results are relatively accurate.

I'm not saying Walsh will pull an upset, but that will be closer than some people thought on this forum.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #588 on: July 22, 2014, 10:07:28 AM »

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #589 on: July 22, 2014, 10:34:48 AM »

So the US tried to turn Ukraine into its satellite? That's news to me.

Naturally, TNF isn't going to elaborate... Roll Eyes

Some of us actually do things besides post on this forum, you know? You should try it some time. Might help with your high blood pressure.

But to that point, Ukraine is clearly in the process of being transformed into a U.S. satellite, much like many of the former Warsaw Pact or Soviet states in the area. First comes a "color revolution" (which more often than not is an actual revolution against corruption and misrule by the hangers-on of the old bureaucratic despotisms) which then quickly degenerates into exchanging one set of corrupt elites (the pro-Russian ones) for another (the pro-American ones). NATO expansion brings these under the protective umbrella of American firepower, and there you have it: new frontiers for American capital to expand and exploit the people of the former Soviet bloc.

Of course, this isn't to say that becoming a Russian satellite would be preferable for these states, either. That imposes the same kind of rule from abroad that weakens their internal economies and corrupts their politics. The only way these countries are going to be able to have any sort of independence is to develop on their own and give both Russia and the U.S. the bird.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #590 on: July 22, 2014, 03:26:33 PM »

Mandatory minimum sentences are horrible.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #591 on: July 22, 2014, 03:32:10 PM »

I thought right wingers hated activist judges?

Anyway, this ruling is obviously a joke. It's not going to stand.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #592 on: July 22, 2014, 03:41:02 PM »

So two hacks in black robes got together and wrote a sh*t opinion. Who cares?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #593 on: July 22, 2014, 03:56:28 PM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #594 on: July 22, 2014, 05:13:12 PM »

I guess the new one. He's still pretty nuts.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #595 on: July 22, 2014, 10:30:12 PM »

Definitely Oregon, with its high concentration of both tree-huggers and loggers. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #596 on: July 23, 2014, 06:03:55 AM »

Aren't "normal" people the worst? They exist to do manual/office labor and other peon jobs, nothing more. That's their role in life. They aren't capable of doing anything that requires thought or intelligence. They are expendable. They exist solely to breed people who will grow up to be just like them.

I fear for them when automation obsoletes their existence.
I'm surprised you don't want the disabled to be euthanized, none the less that you hate "normal" people.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #597 on: July 23, 2014, 06:05:41 AM »

I find it pretty shocking that your teachers actually dismissed a professional opinion and just imposed special ed to you because of their gut feelings. Actually, I find it shocking that this is even legally possible - I mean, don't they require some sort of medical certification for this thing. This sort of behavior is absolutely inexcusable and runs counter so many educational principles that it should be considered a serious violation. Once again, this seems to have been a terrible experience and I'm truly sorry for you.

It also means that what happened to you can't be blamed with overdiagnosis of Asperger's since if I understand correctly you were actually never diagnosed as such. It seems that the only qualified neurologist who was involved in this process actually was right all along. Just like the renowned Parisian neuropsychiatrist who diagnosed me with Asperger's was. I'm not claiming that all psychiatrists/psychologists are above all blame (in fact, in France they are blamed for having completely misunderstood autism for decades, with dramatic consequences). Still, I don't think that anyone here has solid grounds to claim that (beyond the media hype that certainly exists) Aspergers is actually overdiagnosed.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #598 on: July 23, 2014, 05:08:06 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix