Favourite latest post by previous poster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:52:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favourite latest post by previous poster
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 56
Author Topic: Favourite latest post by previous poster  (Read 91651 times)
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: January 16, 2015, 07:47:38 PM »

Bump

Last night I had a crazy dream. I was sitting on a chair in my room in the dream. Suddenly another slightly taller version of me (looked exactly like me, call it a clone if you will) enters the room. He walks up to me, grabs me by the collar and points a knife at me. I tried to scream for help, but I couldn't. I was unable to talk. I tried to get at least a word out of my mouth as hard as I could, but I was unable to. I woke up in my dream, and I was still unable to talk. Suddenly I start levitating off the bed. I tried to pinch myself to see if I was dreaming, and I felt pain. I tried to scream "ow!", but I couldn't. Then I actually woke up in real life, and after like 30 seconds, I was finally able to talk again. I think I was suffering from Sleep Paralysis.

I also had a dream a couple of days ago where this one girl at my school married this one guy at my school, and their honeymoon took place at a gas station.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #726 on: January 16, 2015, 08:10:18 PM »

No offence MormDem, but I would react like I would if anyone walks up to my door, hide somewhere with the shapest sharp and smallest object that would fit in my hand and hide somewhere until they go away.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #727 on: January 16, 2015, 08:20:30 PM »

Honestly Madeleine, I think you're being overly dramatic. I mean, if everybody left after one failed argument, we wouldn't have any posters. Wink
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #728 on: January 16, 2015, 08:25:09 PM »

Gubernatorial Election:
[ 1] Tmthforu94/TDAS04
[   ] Write-In:__________

Assembly Election:
[ 1] CrabCake
[   ] BMotley (MadmanMotley)
[ 2] New Canadaland
[ 3] EarlAW (Hatman)
[ 5] Spiral
[ 4] Shua
[   ] JohanusCalvinusLibertas (JCL)
[   ] Write-In: ____________
[   ] Write-In: ____________

Federal Constitutional Amendment:  Recall Amendment

[   ] Aye
[   ] Nay
[ X] Abstain

Thanks for voting!!!!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #729 on: January 16, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Regarding "most beloved politician on Atlasia". It's not much, but his  dry frankness concerning the bizarre bipartisan support for Ron Wyden and the equally bizarre hatred for moderation does make for some amusement.

These things tend to be more unspoken, and yet here it all is spoken.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #730 on: January 17, 2015, 07:37:57 AM »

Here's my guess, running mates are not the same but complementary and 3rds are purple not green. And I'll have scenarios here just as I did concerning my own thread which pit the actual running mates against each other.

Part I: 1952-1960

1952: Taft vs Kefauver

With Truman declining to run for a second term, the race becomes wide-open. And despite skepticism from party bosses, maverick Senator Estes Kefauver manages this time to make it. In an effort to appease these bosses, Kefauver selects squeaky-clean freshman Governor Adlai Stevenson of Illinois.

Meanwhile on the other end, conservatives in the GOP manage to unite in reaction to Truman and his foreign policies and nominate the aging Senator Robert Taft of Ohio, who picks the fairly liberal Governor of California, Earl Warren as a ticket-balancer.

Robert Taft (R-OH)/Earl Warren (R-CA): 282 EV, 49.2% PV
Estes Kefauver (D-TN)/ Adlai Stevenson (D-IL): 249 EV, 46.6% PV

Though the race is close, Taft does a much better job impressing upon the Northern elite and West Coast conservatives, which more than makes up for any gains in the Southwest by Kefauver

1956: Eisenhower vs Kefauver

Unfortunately, Taft dies in office...which leaves Warren in charge. But luckily for the conservative base, Warren declines to stay-on in favor of other political pursuits. Instead, war hero Dwight D. Eisenhower fills the void, and to appease the base and make a statement on civil rights, senior California Senator William Knowland is chosen.

Kefauver, bitter over his narrow loss, decides to run again. Trying to also make a statement on Civil Rights, he selects  Governor G. Mennen Williams of Michigan as running mate

Dwight Eisenhower (R-PA)/ William Knowland (R-CA): 391 EV, 57.8% PV
Estes Kefauver (D-TN)/ G. Mennen Williams (D-MI): 140 EV, 41.9% PV

Ultimately he ends up hardly better than Stevenson IRL, doing slightly better in the South and retaining Michigan.

1960: Johnson vs Rockefeller

Unfortunately, popular as Eisenhower was, he also ended up kicking the bucket. This left Knowland in charge, which did not sit well with the moderates and liberals of the Republican party. Ultimately the non-conservatives rallied around Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller of New York. And after a heated primary and convention, Knowland was successfully replaced.

The Democrats also had a very scattered nomination process, between JFK, Humphrey, Senate Majority Leader Lyndon Johnson of Texas, Smathers Senator Stuart Symington of Missouri, and Governor Adlai Stevenson of Illinois. But thanks to some wily tactics, Lyndon Johnson ended up taking the nomination.

Lyndon Johnson (D-TX)/ Hubert Humphrey (D-MN): 280 EV, 49.7% PV
Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY)/ Everett Dirksen (R-IL): 257 EV, 49.6% PV

Ultimately thanks to a very skilled campaign, Johnson beats Rockefeller. Rockefeller however does give him a run by managing to hold onto California, Oregon, and the Northeast.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #731 on: January 17, 2015, 08:48:11 AM »

Among the last ten:

Okay, so, uh, about what I was saying earlier.

First of all, I definitely shouldn’t have made a flouncy, insincere retraction of my position like I did.

Antonio, I'm...really not used to being accused of moral relativism, so I'm not sure how I can respond to that very well-argued and beautifully-written post except to say that I certainly don't consider analysis of issues and allocation of resources in terms of oppression axes a relativistic value. I think it needs to be remembered that groups who are at one end of the gun barrel in one way can be at the other end of it in another—there is obviously oppression going on within the Islamic world and presumably within the Muslim minority in France as well—the idea that 'everything a disadvantaged minority does to its own members is above criticism' is not one that I'm (intentionally) advocating at all. (So, since it's not as if there's some sort of universal hard and fast binary of 'these people are oppressed, these people are oppressive', we do have to hold some sort of values outside of that framework. What the values outside of that framework that I hold tell me, though, is that the framework is necessary to take into account and is rich in moral implication.) What I am arguing is that I don't think it's altogether appropriate for people very high up in the league tables, so to speak, to exercise some sort of weird noblesse oblige in using ridicule or satire to intervene in the power dynamics between those lower down.

I think in situations in which material oppression is going in one direction and ideological oppression is going in another (which, yes, is a reasonable characterization of the situation here) it’s my general preference to take the side of those experiencing the former. Call it Marxist influence—I’d certainly rather cop to that than to bog-standard American liberal ‘social justice’ thinking. The takeaway, the historical example that has most influenced my views on what happens when oppression flows back and forth, and how that relates to the concept of revolutionary violence, is probably the history of 下克上 gekokujō as an idea. In the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, it was one of the best and most revolutionary concepts in Japanese political history. In the twentieth, it was one of the worst.

What I concede might be going on here—and I think afleitch has verged on exposing this by pointing out that I don’t actually have the best command of French—is that I may have developed a misapprehension of what Charlie Hebdo is all about based on what Inks might call my ‘anti-anti-clerical’ views and my tendency to believe the worst about people or publications that seem like they might be racializing antireligious arguments (which I would hope most of us can agree is something that occurs from time to time and is a real problem when it does). I'm never going to view vituperative attacks on people's religious views in a positive light but, with regards to why, if it is the case that I've misapprehended this then we're back to the conservative side of my views on the issue, which I don't think is really something I'm comfortable attempting to defend cogently in a public thread at this particular remove (we can discuss it via PM if you have any interest in hearing about it).

I hope to make it clear that said anti-anti-clerical views are not the same as just blindly supporting whatever religious order I perceive would be best for me or for my other values. In my capacity as a trans person I would probably fare a lot better under a traditionalist Muslim regime than under a traditionalist Christian one, and better in some varieties of traditionalist Muslim regime than in some varieties of modern Western democracy! In my capacity as a lesbian…not so much.

Let Memphis be the jerk he is - as for me, if you have any objection to what I said, I am glad to hear about them.

I knew that bringing up moral relativism would be somewhat controversial because, in abstract terms, we share the same aversion toward it. My intention wasn't to outright accuse you of holding a relativistic viewpoint, but rather to point out that you were borrowing an argument that could easily lend itself to it. You are right that "analysis of issues and allocation of resources in terms of oppression axes" (a concept that I shortened and will continue to shorten as "social justice", since I think it fits quite well) isn't necessarily, or isn't entirely a morally relativistic school of thought. The main categorical imperative of social justice is contained in the phrase "check your privilege". It's often derided even in liberal milieu, but I personally fully embrace it. The way I see it, "check your privilege" means "be aware of the injustices of society; realize that you might benefit from them; see the way in which other people suffer from it; take that into account when passing a judgment on their actions or character; deconstruct the way in which your own views are biased by these oppressive mechanisms". It is a powerful and useful guide to being a real progressive (and a decent person as well).

Other tendencies in social justice, however, clearly verge toward moral relativism - and  in my opinion, this includes some of the notions you have put forward here. Despite the qualifications you have given to your stance, it still comes down to the idea that a universal principle (anticlericalism) should be applied according to different standards depending on the material conditions of the believers of a particular religion. I don't see how this notion can be reconciled with a universal principle. It's certainly not contained in the "check your privilege" imperative, which only condemns ideas who play an active role in sustaining material oppression. You cannot honestly accuse anticlericalism itself of being part of the ideological construct that sustains the oppression of Arab immigrants in Europe (the way, for example, gender-essentialism is a construct that sustains patriarchy).

The key point, ultimately, is your assertion that "material oppression is going in one direction and ideological oppression is going in another". I don't actually believe that's the case here, because, in fact, material oppression is altogether irrelevant to this issue. As I already said, when Charlie Hebdo weighs in the debate on ethnic issues, it always takes the side of the oppressed. But when it talks about Mohammed and Jesus, it sees them through the same lens because they are all, in the end, the same thing. They certainly don't "exercise some sort of weird noblesse oblige in using ridicule or satire to intervene in the power dynamics between those lower down", because their goal is to fight against what they see as a universally oppressive force, regardless of material context. The only way their drawings could be oppressive is if they made this connection between Islam as a religion and French Arabs. Your third paragraph seems to concede that, if this connection isn't made, your argument doesn't stand. If so, we might not actually be in disagreement (anti-anti-clericalism aside).
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #732 on: January 17, 2015, 10:17:34 AM »

We have no source as to what Jesus thought of homosexuality per se. The two relevant parts in NT are by his associate Paul - one condemn the purchase of boy prostitutes the other homosexuality during orgies. We have no way of knowing what Paul would have thought of monogamous love based gay couples (they didn't exist in his time). Generally Jesus cared about love not sex. We know he considered prostitution sinful, but not much else about his views on sexuality. As an established religion Christianity became sex-negative, but it is a reasonable assumption that Jesus would view homosexuality as the physical expression of the love between two people as something inherently good. While he would likely have considered the sort of orgies Libertas participated in sinful, we also know that Jesus was the non-judgmental and forgiving type, so it is very unlikely Jesus would have banned Libertas.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #733 on: January 17, 2015, 10:18:35 AM »

7-2 ruling in favor of gay marriage, with Scalia and Alito dissenting?

I would be stunned if Thomas votes in favor of gay marriage, and that's an understatement. 
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #734 on: January 17, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »

This law is clearly unconstitutional.  It is basicly upholding the doctrine of nullification which the supreme court has already declared invalid.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #735 on: January 17, 2015, 01:51:12 PM »

I though it would be fun to do a survivor similar to the one we did before, but with Metro Areas instead of cities. In order to avoid making the vote counting too complicated, I've decided to limit myelf to the 32 largest metro ares. This survivor will be 5 rounds long, each round lasting 48 hours, with a random number generator being used to determine the specific Metros in each matchup.

Chicago metropolitan area vs. Miami metropolitan area
Boston metropolitan area vs. Riverside, California metropolitan area
Philadelphia metropolitan area vs. Tampa, Florida metropolitan area
Charlotte, North Carolina metropolitan area vs. St. Louis metropolitan area
Sacramento, California metropolitan area vs. Columbus, Ohio metropolitan area
Cleveland metropolitan area vs. Washington metropolitan area
Salt Lake City metropolitan area vs. Minneapolis metropolitan area
Las Vegas metropolitan area vs. New York metropolitan area
San Diego metropolitan area vs. Atlanta metropolitan area
Seattle metropolitan area vs. Baltimore metropolitan area
Kansas City, Missouri metropolitan area vs. Indianapolis metropolitan area
Phoenix metropolitan area vs. Greater San Francisco Bay Area
Pittsburgh metropolitan area vs. Denver metropolitan area
Houston metropolitan area vs. Portland, Oregon metropolitan area
Detroit metropolitan area vs. Orlando, Florida metropolitan area
Greater Los Angeles Area vs. Dallas metropolitan area
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #736 on: January 17, 2015, 01:52:03 PM »

Jesus returned to the Mount of Olives, but early the next morning he logged back on the forum. A crowd soon gathered in IRC and he started posting with them. As he was typing, the moderators of the forum and the ban brigade brought a woman who had been caught in the act of trolling. They put her in front of the forum.

"Teacher,” they said to Jesus, “this woman was caught in the act of trolling. The site's Terms of Service says to ban her. What do you say?”

They were trying to trap him into saying something they could use against him, but Jesus stooped down and started playing Candy Crush on his phone. They kept demanding an answer, so he posted again and said, “All right, but let the one who is without infraction cast the first death point!" Then he stooped down again and played some more Candy Crush.

When the accusers read this, they started logging off one by one, beginning with the oldest, until only Jesus was on the forum with the woman. Then Jesus started posting again and said to the woman, “Where are your accusers? Didn’t even one of them condemn you?”

“No, Lord,” she said.

And Jesus said, “Neither do I. Go and troll no more.”
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #737 on: January 17, 2015, 01:56:14 PM »

Every time he made a post or a thread, people would jump on him and attack him and accuse him of being an attention whore. He posted a normal picture of himself in the "post a picture of yourself thread" and people attacked him for being a slut. He talked in PG13-terms about being in relationship in one or two posts, and he was attacked for spreading sexually-explicit adult content throughout the entire forum. And then when he had the gall to respond to the bullies following him around the forum, he was attacked again for not shutting up and letting the "ban libertas!" campaign run without interruption.

And yes, it's very sad that even on a forum with as many LGBT members as this one, Libertas was still held to homophobic double standards when it came to discussing his relationships or sexual activity (or even posting a picture of himself).
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #738 on: January 17, 2015, 02:05:35 PM »

Foucaulf
« Reply #739 on: January 17, 2015, 02:09:56 PM »

traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #740 on: January 17, 2015, 02:36:11 PM »

The mods giveth, and the mods taketh away. Oh well.

At some point I realized he really doesn't have the type of personality that would walk away from drama and lay himself down low. He only kept digging the hole he made.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #741 on: January 17, 2015, 02:45:43 PM »

I'm inclined to say Williamstown, actually.  Certainly I'd pick Howard Beach over most small towns, but that part of the country is uniquely appealing.

What was the last dinner you cooked?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #742 on: January 17, 2015, 02:53:13 PM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #743 on: January 17, 2015, 03:28:08 PM »

Anyway, I was tested at a 142 IQ and spent my entire elementary, middle, and high school careers in gifted and honors programs.

Do you study at Oxford?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #744 on: January 17, 2015, 05:05:48 PM »

I never understood how a modestly well off white American male would have such a low quality of life. Intense laziness?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #745 on: January 17, 2015, 05:29:28 PM »

I highly doubt that censorship would have been his preferred solution to this, except maybe some kind of voluntary prior restraint, like the Comics Code but for Islamophobia or something. To whatever extent he's calling for that, I'm not sure I agree with him (the Comics Code was flagrantly ludicrous, after all), but I don't think it's an inherently inappropriate or callous or cruel position to take, I think some of our more anti-clerical and/or European* posters are reacting to this as if he'd said that these people deserved to die when that's clearly not the case, and that's all I was really trying to argue in this thread to begin with.

Just out of interest, would this be a two way street? I mean, if I show restraint, should religious figures be required to show restraint and not for example caricature gay people as either being sinful, possessed, threats to society, purveyors of vice or have veiled innuendoes made about them comparing them to paedophiles or pedarasts? (all of which the RC has done - we are after all guilty of a 'moral evil')

Yeah. Of course. They really, really, really should stop doing that, and I dearly hope I would still think so even I were cis and/or straight. I think both religious and non- or antireligious people should avoid resorting to defamatory innuendo and raucous mockery on these kinds of issues.

The problem is what constitutes mockery? If 'mockery' is what is to be restrained. Because mockery isn't always just a devolved form of discussion. Sometimes it has nothing to do with discussion or position taking at all. A real life and surreal example of this would be a school child taken aside for eating a ham sandwich at Ramadan in a school with a large Muslim population. Eating and what was being eaten was perceived as 'mockery' when all it really was was simply having a sandwich. Why should the person who considers it 'mockery' be empowered because we consider mockery to be a step too far. That argument requires that the 'step before' is actually meant to be an acceptable 'action' against a person. Often that is not the case at all.

A very common argument against SSM for example (and one made by the subject of this thread) is that allowing it 'mocks' religion, or religious beliefs about marriage and what marriage means and who marriage is for. I'm sure for some people it is mockery, but that's only in the view of the person who perceives it. And it makes an assumption that the person who perceives mockery has a reasoned insight into what mockery is.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #746 on: January 17, 2015, 06:09:21 PM »

I had a dream that my grandma (who died a few years ago at age 93, with dementia) was alive and well.  She was sharp and was using technology (she never even had a computer IRL).  For some reason, she was texting Jesse Jackson.

In the same dream, my aunt got attacked by a bald eagle.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #747 on: January 17, 2015, 11:38:45 PM »

Entertain her with state-by-state data for the 1976 election. Chicks love that.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #748 on: January 18, 2015, 12:00:57 AM »

Looks like Mike Beebe...
....was a little unhinged
Goldwater
Republitarian