Favourite latest post by previous poster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:37:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favourite latest post by previous poster
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 56
Author Topic: Favourite latest post by previous poster  (Read 91718 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: February 26, 2015, 12:49:30 PM »

It's almost as if Republicans don't see the wisdom of holding the line on an issue when public reaction is massively against them.

Right, like when they dropped their opposition to gun control after the Newtown school shooting. Roll Eyes
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #876 on: February 26, 2015, 06:48:11 PM »

Governor TDAS04, on the Dakotas

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #877 on: February 26, 2015, 08:03:04 PM »

Sacramento, CA vs Madison, WI
Atlanta, GA vs Olympia, WA
Boston, MA vs Salt Lake City, UT
St. Paul, MN vs Austin, TX
Santa Fe, NM vs Nashville, TN
Raleigh, NC vs Salem, OR

RR1997
United States

« Reply #878 on: February 28, 2015, 09:09:33 PM »

Context:
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #879 on: February 28, 2015, 09:13:22 PM »

The 3rd worst state where there in an expression for crazy crap vs the absolute best and most diverse state where you can get Florida, NJ, Vermont, Iowa, or any state you want just by crossing county lines?

California easily.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #880 on: February 28, 2015, 09:38:05 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #881 on: March 01, 2015, 06:09:43 AM »

Both counties in those Republican strongholds have almost always voted Democrat in statewide races since 1992.

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #882 on: March 01, 2015, 12:40:45 PM »

Inspired by a discussion with Goldwater a couple months ago, and more recently by all the State polls we had. There are 50 States, so divide them into 5 categories of 10 each (say, great/fine/average/meh/awful). Ideally, you should try to balance out quality of life, aesthetics, weather, culture and politics (but of course you can weigh these factors as you wish).

Here's my map:

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #883 on: March 01, 2015, 12:44:43 PM »

Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #884 on: March 01, 2015, 02:30:13 PM »

This shouldn't be too lopsided.

Colorado (D), but California has some great areas. 

Because I really like Colorado. Gotta stick with my neighbor Cheesy
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #885 on: March 01, 2015, 04:02:33 PM »

Finally, a sensible result!

This time, Japan.

They're developed but still not quite white, thus Atlasians feel OK voting for them!
RR1997
United States

« Reply #886 on: March 01, 2015, 05:47:16 PM »

JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #887 on: March 01, 2015, 07:06:24 PM »

We've all heard the statement that "nice guys finish last", but most people refer to dating/sucess with attracting females when using that cliché statement, but do nice guys finish last in general? Some argue that being nice is bad because people will take advantage of your niceness. Others argue that being nice is vital because it will get people to like you, and the help of others will help you suceed. Do nice guys finish last in business/the world of finance? Do nice guys finish last in dating? Do nice guys finish last in regular, everyday life? You guys also have to remember that a lot of times jerks win (example: Mitt Romney). I'm personally a nice guy and I dislike jerks. There are plenty of arguements for both sides, and I want to see what you guys thing.

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #888 on: March 01, 2015, 07:08:16 PM »

So, what I am, what Wolverine is, what Clark is, what many of the people in the forum are is shameful.  Have you no sense of decency sir.   The argument you right now are using is the same one that opponents of interracial marriage used in the 1960's.  It is sicking and people like you who use a book which is well written for you prejudices are what is wrong with our country today.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #889 on: March 02, 2015, 04:35:19 AM »

What do you have against Kristi Noem?  Anything in particular?

She's a typical right-winger, and I got a bad impression from her campaign in 2010.  Her ads were both negative and stupid, and she had a record of receiving numerous speeding tickets and not showing up in court (resulting in warrants for her arrest) and her good looks helped her get elected.

To be fair, she could be worse.  She's not as bad as Michelle Bachmann, but she's worse than even many South Dakota Republicans.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #890 on: March 02, 2015, 11:36:18 AM »

Inspired by a discussion with Goldwater a couple months ago, and more recently by all the State polls we had. There are 50 States, so divide them into 5 categories of 10 each (say, great/fine/average/meh/awful). Ideally, you should try to balance out quality of life, aesthetics, weather, culture and politics (but of course you can weigh these factors as you wish).

Here's my map:

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #891 on: March 02, 2015, 03:12:42 PM »

It's basically impossible to ruin a cut of meat anyway. It's not like we're telling you to make a souffle or something. Worst case scenario you overcook it and it's a little bit tough. It'll still be better than 90% of the over-priced garbage you routinely stuff down your throat. A 35-year-old man being afraid to cook a simple cut of meat for himself is pathetic.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #892 on: March 02, 2015, 03:57:37 PM »

No in practice, I would not kill a million guilty people if it meant killing one innocent person. Even with perfect knowledge of guilt and innocence, the only situation I could see myself supporting it is if you have someone like the Joker who is able to keep escaping prison and kill more people (which probably wouldn't happen).
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #893 on: March 03, 2015, 10:37:50 PM »

I don't agree all the way but

Vienna, Austria vs London, UK
Brussels, Belgium vs. Stockholm, Sweden
Sofia, Bulgaria vs Madrid, Spain
Zagreb, Croatia vs. Ljubljana, Slovenia
Nicosia, Cyprus vs Bratislava, Slovakia
Prague, Czech Republic vs. Bucharest, Romania
Copenhagen, Denmark vs. Lisbon, Portugal
Tallinn, Estonia vs Warsaw, Poland
Helsinki, Finland vs Amsterdam, Netherlands
Paris, France vs Valletta, Malta
Berlin, Germany vs Luxembourg, Luxembourg
Athens, Greece vs Vilnius, Lithuania
Budapest, Hungary vs Riga, Latvia
Dublin, Ireland vs Rome, Italy

this, just because it took a bit of time to get down.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #894 on: March 03, 2015, 11:20:09 PM »

Love the crunchy kind, so-so on smooth, averages out to "like it".

Ultimately though peanuts just aren't best nut to derive flavor.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #895 on: March 04, 2015, 05:55:28 AM »

This is the woman who didn't know who we fought in World War II 7 years ago.

Seriously.

She's quite representative of many Americans on that point, though.

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #896 on: March 04, 2015, 03:22:13 PM »

What is the constitutional rationale behind this? It seems utterly nonsensical to me.

The text of the Constitution, that specifically states that it is the state legislatures that draw the lines, rather than merely referring to the states as having that power.

I assume you refer to Article 1, Section 4: "The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators."

First of all, one could make the argument that, in States where popular initiatives are recognized, the people itself constitutes one branch of the "legislature". Since the US Constitution contains no precise definition of the term, the legislature has to mean "those who hold legislative power". If the State Constitution recognizes a right for the people to legislate directly through initiatives or referendums, then the people voting for these initiatives are functionally equivalent to elected representatives voting on a bill.

If the power to alter electoral regulation is vested in the holders of legislative power in a given State, then it follows that citizens have the same right as their representatives to enact electoral regulations. Secondly, the exercise of the power must always come with the possibility to delegate such power to a different body. If the people, in their quality of legislators, resolve to grant their redistricting power to a nonpartisan commission, they are merely exercising their Constitutional right to its full extent.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #897 on: March 04, 2015, 03:46:45 PM »

Because yes a few bad apples dictates what the whole city of Boston was like during the 1960s. Those people failed at the ballot box (except for maybe a fluke victory by Louise Day Hicks), and for good reason.  Bostonites were very divided over the issue but they more often than not in those days fell on the right side of history.  Your strawmanning is absurd.

If you want to pull out examples from history, however, I can think of a few times in history where the Harvard Faculty would be on the way wrong side of history.  Needless to say, an academic institution that had Jew quotas as late as the 1920s has been on the wrong side of history more than a few times, probably a good deal more so than the Citizens of Boston.  You can criticize the people of Boston for not being quick and zealous in support of equal rights for non-whites, but where the hell was Harvard when the Know Nothings came into power?  Where the hell was Harvard when the state's election laws favored only the wealthy landowning elites?  Where the hell was Harvard when the Robber Barons were running the state's politics?  Where the hell was Harvard when the state police were putting down unions with impunity?

They were on the wrong side of history, of course.  And sure, a lot of this was decades ago (but so was your atrocious strawman), but I know my history enough not to trust a bunch of rich eggheads with the future of society (again, would you have preferred America where only the rich vote?  Because that is what your heroes supported in times past).
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #898 on: March 14, 2015, 02:43:29 PM »

Context:

Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #899 on: March 14, 2015, 02:49:17 PM »

Last night, I had I dream that I was at a hotel, and staying in the room next to mine were Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, and their adopted son IceSpear. 
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 56  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies