Favourite latest post by previous poster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:36:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favourite latest post by previous poster
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 56
Author Topic: Favourite latest post by previous poster  (Read 91656 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: April 08, 2015, 09:17:02 PM »

It's unhealthy in a political sense to never listen to counter evidence or people who disagree with you.  You can ignore crazy people like Republican politicians, but you should listen to people with reasoned arguments.  If only to better understand why you disagree with them, it's a good thing to get different perspectives.  Try it sometime.

Sure, you can get that from reading blogs, articles, books, etc. Doesn't mean you need to live with people with different views.

None of that compares to what one may end up overhearing on commutes, or at work, or *gasps* a conversation that ends up going that way for whatever reason.

Not all spoken political views come from direct speaking.

There's simply something to be said to seeing the intent dripping off how one speaks as well as the quality of the argument itself...that other media simply doesn't get. Especially the internet where the freedom to say something truly outrageous exists thanks to anonymity.

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1026 on: April 09, 2015, 03:32:47 PM »

Conversion therapy is dumb even for fundamentalist standards.  If you believe being gay is a sin and want to convert your child, then wouldn't that person just pray and ask the child to repent? 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1027 on: April 09, 2015, 03:34:39 PM »

Disgusting.  The entire Arabian Peninsula is awful. 
RR1997
United States

« Reply #1028 on: May 27, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »

Hillary is proven to have murdered Vince Foster.
Hillary says she will nuke Iran if she gets elected.
Hillary says that CA is a stupid, gay hellhole.
Hillary claims that all men are sexist and should be deported.

And even then, Republicans would narrowly lose it.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1029 on: May 27, 2015, 07:07:18 PM »

Let's not be silly here guys. Bill Clinton was an incredibly popular president who presided over a huge economic boom and is still loved by many today (myself included). Bill's record will help Hillary more than it will hurt her.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1030 on: May 27, 2015, 07:09:33 PM »

Because every time Romney talked about marriage he sounded like he was having a root canal.

We need clear cut positions. At least I do - to reverse cultural rot & stop the war on religious freedom. The only way we do this is with someone we know not only where they stand, but whether or not they will actively fight for the cause.

Can anyone honestly say Romney would fight for traditional marriage? Ever?

He says he supports FMA. He never once pushed it. He never once promoted it.

Excuse me? "Cultural rot" is what I am for wanting to be able to eventually marry the person I love?

Fuck off.

Would you please calm down. Yes I'm for traditional marriage as well. What we all fail to realize is we have an issue of states rights vs federal forcing an agenda down the throats of the majority of Americans that don't want what they're forcing down said throats. Let the state's be the final arbiter on this issue. The bans that were overturned in the past few years by federal courts must be reinstated (Indiana and California in particular but all in general).

Needless to say I'm supporting Rand Paul and wish this neoconservative big spender would just step aside for the sake of the next generation.
Oh, States Rights can go Fuck itself.  That argument was, and is used by bigots who want to limit the rights of those who they see as inferior to themselves.  So, please stop trying to use this outdated argument.  It doesn't work anymore.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1031 on: May 27, 2015, 07:23:42 PM »

I don't like what he did, especially the Nixon shock, but I liked how he did it.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1032 on: May 27, 2015, 08:35:25 PM »

• 1948: Joseph McCarthy (R-Wisconsin)
• 1964: Barry Goldwater (R-Arizona)
• 1968: George Wallace (D-Alabama)
• 1972: Shirley Chisholm (D-New York)
• 1976: Nelson Rockefeller (R-New York)
• 1980: Ted Kennedy (D-Massachusetts)
• 1984: Jimmy Carter (D-Georgia)
• 1988: Jesse Jackson (D-Illinois)
• 1992: Pat Buchanan (R-Virginia)
• 1996: George H. W. Bush (R-Texas)
• 2004: Howard Dean (D-Vermont)
• 2008: Dick Cheney (R-Wyoming)
• 2012: Rick Santorum (R-Pennsylvania)

Are you trying to pick the worst ones for each election or something?
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1033 on: May 27, 2015, 08:58:56 PM »

CCSF, by all means join the Santorum campaign and try to help him win the nomination. Then, we can all see what happens when Republicans finally nominate a "true conservative". You and the liberals and self-accepting gays that you loathe so much all want him to be the nominee, but for very different reasons. Take a minute to try and figure out why that is.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1034 on: May 27, 2015, 10:18:58 PM »

I like his posts on AAD, but also he's a really nice dude, great poster.

retromike gets too many gratuitous creep jokes, it's quite refreshing to see someone recognize him for the poster he actually is.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1035 on: May 27, 2015, 11:10:46 PM »

I vote for Reagan as he passed strict pollution laws, cut spending, cut taxes, welfare reform which made people go to work if they wanted welfare, and was not Big Government as today Democrats in Cali are who are far to the left of Obama

Reagan was a monster and a menace as governor.

His record is one of jailing and abusing students (or have the injustices People's Park been forgotten), cutting spending on mental health and education, the allowance of housing discrimination, and finally his general contempt for the environmental movement

Voted for his successor, a true champion of the people

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1036 on: May 28, 2015, 03:37:17 AM »

I'm more interested in the fact that Dazey accused TNF of being 'Frankfurt School'. Clearly he either doesn't know much about the Frankfurt School or doesn't know much about TNF or both because that's hilarious. (On the other hand isn't the Frankfurt School the subject of some sort of right-wing conspiracy theory? Maybe it's in reference to that.)
RR1997
United States

« Reply #1037 on: May 28, 2015, 08:29:00 AM »

California über Alles! Long live Jerry Brown!
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1038 on: May 28, 2015, 05:56:11 PM »

Let's not be silly here guys. Bill Clinton was an incredibly popular president who presided over a huge economic boom and is still loved by many today (myself included). Bill's record will help Hillary more than it will hurt her.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1039 on: May 28, 2015, 06:00:30 PM »

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1040 on: May 28, 2015, 07:15:28 PM »

Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1041 on: May 28, 2015, 08:54:08 PM »

I like his posts on AAD, but also he's a really nice dude, great poster.

retromike gets too many gratuitous creep jokes, it's quite refreshing to see someone recognize him for the poster he actually is.

Why did you post something from sunrise? #youoweme

Anyway:

Historically if a party wins 3 terms in the white house in a row that third election is always closer than the 2nd one.  The only example I can find otherwise is 1904. Plus, I'm really having doubts about Hillary exciting anyone to vote, this may be similar to 1988 in that sense.

Based on? Most polls show Dems are enthusiastic for Hillary.

I'll say slightly greater.

The majority of Democrats approve of Hillary, and she wins overwhelmingly in the primary. That is not equal with excitement. Do you think she would've turned out an equal amount of votes that Obama did in 2008 and 2012? She represents an establishment figure, in bed with big money, and her speeches are boring and uninteresting. Now that's not a fact, but I think we can agree Obama is a much more dynamic speaker than Hillary. Elizabeth Warren, even if she's less known and 'electable', would excite more people.

And besides, throughout the last year polls have failed spectacularly at predicting stuff worldwide.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1042 on: May 28, 2015, 09:06:28 PM »

I think that Speaker Türkisblau would make a great senator Wink
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1043 on: May 28, 2015, 09:52:53 PM »

I support Hillary Clinton because I agree with her policy positions and think she would make a fantastic President.

You're one of the few pal

Uh, no.  Most Democrats support the Democratic nominee, who supports Democratic policy planks.  It's not that complicated. 

I am not a Democrat and disagree with many Democratic policy planks on economic issues, and as such, a standard liberal Dem like Hillary (with establishment foreign policy views) does not appeal to me.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1044 on: May 28, 2015, 10:00:10 PM »

Context:

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1045 on: May 28, 2015, 10:02:34 PM »

Context.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1046 on: May 28, 2015, 10:05:08 PM »

At least he didn't use a .com rather than a .gov e-mail address (media).
RR1997
United States

« Reply #1047 on: June 13, 2015, 12:24:56 PM »

Safe to say that anyone named Crescent is probably a huge douche.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1048 on: June 15, 2015, 01:45:55 PM »

In which of these did you have the best expierence in?

My opinion:

Elementary school and High school were the best for me. Middle school was garbage.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1049 on: June 15, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »

Why does the left not favor scholarships or vouchers? Why are they insistent on keeping kids in public schools that are failing? They don't want private or charter schools to exist, despite them doing better than public schools. If they care about the poor so much, they should want poorer kids who generally go to worse off schools to go to better ones, increasing their chance of not being poor in the future.

If I had to guess, I would say its because they're (and by they I mean left wing organizations and big money) a puppet for labor and teacher's unions.

What evidence do you have that public schools are 'failing', relative to charter schools or private schools? The methods that have been invented to test how well schools and students are doing in school always seem to find that schools are 'failing' and students are falling behind precisely because that's what they were designed to do. Pretending otherwise is naive. We have no way of accurately comparing education statistics when the U.S. school system is not comparable between tiered systems like in Germany (and most studies erroneously compare the average American student with students in elite German Gymnasiums or the highest ranked students in Shanghai), and attempts to do so are disingenuous on the very face of it, because you're not using comparable tests. Beyond that, how does one even begin to quantify knowledge?

There's also literally zero evidence that charter schools perform better than public schools. Private schools may perform better in certain cases, but this comes in part from the fact that these schools are well funded by the parents who have the money to send their children to these schools in the first place. Nothing is more of a determinant of how well schools 'perform' than the access these schools have to adequate educational materials, teaching staff, learning facilities, and, most important of all, the socioeconomic background of the students in question. The children of the employing class have no problem paying attention in school on account of say, hunger. You can't say that about kids who grow up in working class towns or ghettos where a lot of them don't get enough to eat, especially when you take into account that half of all U.S. public school students live in poverty.

Education is not going to solve poverty. Poverty is the result of a lack of money, not the result of the lack of an education. There are plenty of PhDs working at McDonald's these days, or, even those who have managed to land a job aren't being paid all that much. Just using that example alone, in academia, the proportion of adjuncts to tenure track professors is heavily weighed in the former direction, which means a lot more workers without benefits, without a retirement plan, without job security, and with low wages. This is purely anecdotal, but I have a friend who works as an adjunct and only makes about $30,000/year. So much for education being a path out of poverty! The United States has plenty of people with college degrees who either can't use them for want of job openings or because they've been certified with skills that are obsolete or unneeded.

The fact of the matter is that the Left favors high quality public schooling for everyone because most people can't afford public schooling and even if they could, there's something inherently unfair about making people pay for the privilege of being educated. This is a debate that we had in the early 1800s and won because most people agree with the left that the circumstances in which a child is born and brought up in should not deny them the most rudimentary abilities of citizenship, i.e. reading, writing, etc.

School choice would ultimately result in private schools jacking up tuition (after all, they've got the voucher, which essentially subsidizes a good portion of their total income, so why wouldn't they try to make even more? They are a capitalist enterprise, after all!) and would result in even more racial segregation, combined with, of course, religious quackery being inserted into the day to day education of students. I for one am not willing to sacrifice millions of people to daily sermons from pedophile priests on piety or snake oil salesmen teaching whatever 'science' benefits the bottom line of the company who owns the schools.

The assertion that the left (which, I assume in reality you're talking about liberals here) is under the thumb of the teachers' unions is cute. The Democratic Party is full of full-time union-haters like Chicago's Rahm Emanuel, who forced the Chicago Teachers' Union into a strike three years ago and has shut down schools across Chicago and appointed his cronies to the Chicago Board of Education. In Philadelphia last year, the city government cancelled its contract with the teachers union and forced a strike, and in Seattle just recently, the Democratic Party controlled local government picked a fight with teachers. Barack Obama, the head honcho of this entire operation, has put in motion the stealth privatization of education via Race to the Top and the Common Core system, and he's backed to the hilt of course by right-wingers Arne Duncan and former DC public school superintended Michelle Rhee. DC, of course, with its entirely Democratic Party run municipal government, was a trailblazer in the effort to destroy teachers' unions and public education.

Andrew Cuomo wants to destroy the 'public school monopoly', and Hillary Clinton has likewise been a big-time backer of so-called 'reform' efforts. Perhaps the actual left is tied to the teachers' unions, but the liberal left, of which you and other right-wingers refer to when you ask these kinds of questions, is certainly not in the pocket of the teachers' unions.

You should do some research before you come in brandishing wild, nonsensical arguments about how much the 'left' doesn't care about poor kids because it doesn't want to subject them to PepsiCola Elementary School or the Church of the Holy Pedophile Middle School.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 56  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies