Favourite latest post by previous poster (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:39:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favourite latest post by previous poster (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Favourite latest post by previous poster  (Read 91827 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« on: March 09, 2014, 12:01:53 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 02:34:35 PM »

I don't think most gun control laws are effective, most are very poorly designed and ill thought out, like the Assault Weapons Ban. But I tend to hate the anti-gun side since they are all paranoid rednecks full of delusions in the vein of "THE BIG GUBMINT WANTS TO TALKE MAH GUNS AWAY!" and honestly believe they need to buy AK-47s because if they don't black helicopters will swarm in with stormtroopers to take all their freedoms away. So I can't stand the pro-gun side as they tend to focus more on that or "RAR RAR DEFEND MAH FREEDOMS!" rather than rationally arguing that gun control is not effective.

Coal is an antiquated 19th century fuel that's going away regardless of what the government does but since it's so awful environmentally this is definitely a positive development.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 03:42:56 PM »

One has to wonder how many children are currently throwing this into the garbage... well I can dream:

Totally real btw

Sample quotes (from the first link):

And people doubt that Stalinism isn't possible in the United States. Just needed is a personality cult and sprinkle in some 'self-made' economic man woo with some incantions of the constitution and the founders and you've got it
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 02:23:22 PM »

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 11:07:23 AM »

1950's because conservatives were actually conservative and not regressive reactionary wingnuts.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 03:02:41 PM »

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »

even if the "true left" had any sort of power, it would still be infinitely preferable to the tea party.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 03:48:48 PM »

After being found out in a number of sex scandals, President Clinton was cornered into resignation by Congress, leaving VP Bob Kerrey to run against Senator Carroll Campbell, many found Kerrey too Liberal , and Campbell too Conservative, but found the Centrist Perot just right, and in the VP Debates, King came out on top over Governor Feinstein and Senator Sessions, America looked towards a third choice

Businessman Ross Perot/Governor Angus King:271 EV, 33.5%
President Bob Kerrey/Governor Dianne Feinstein:203 EV, 32.1%
Governor Carroll Campbell/Senator Jeff Sessions:64 EV, 26%
Activist Ralph Nader/Activist Winona LaDuke:0 EV, 6.3%
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 11:34:19 AM »

This post is funny, but unfortunately I don't find your "you contribute well to my toilet post", which was obviously hilarious. Tongue
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 03:45:49 PM »

Good luck, man.  Hope things work out, and hope you come back older, wiser, and more at peace with yourself.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 03:23:24 AM »

Still lean R, but let's keep in mind, early polls in 2011-2012 showed Rehberg leads and his campaign ultimately flopped with a Tester win courtesy of the Libertarian in the race and his backing from organized labor, women, independents, moderates and environmentalists. Walsh, like Tester, is getting major help to from the state party, the national party, Planned Parenthood, MEA-MFT, has a strong fundraising team that's giving Walsh these early high favorable ratings, and there's also a Libertarian in this race to steal votes from Daines. As the campaign goes on, Walsh will bring this race closer and bring some of the Tester voters home to him. Plus Daines supported the govt shutdown which was huge to the national parks and veterans in MT, so there's another effective strategy.

I should point out to that this is the 3rd Republican pollster in a row (Harper, Rasmussen and now Magellan). The last time PPP polled here was November when barely anybody knew who Walsh was, so I would wait for another poll from them before we say that Daines is highly favored.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 03:23:58 AM »

Yesterday Renzi presented his final plan for the 1000€ income tax cut.

There are a few disappointments. The measure is covered only for the year 2014 (though he promised to make it permanent), and more importantly, it doesn't cover the lowest incomes (those who didn't even pay taxes). Still, it's better than nothing. And Renzi found different ways to cut spending without really hurting the social safety net, which is a welcome change from previous governments.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »

You can never go wrong with a Bible quote from the Gospels.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 09:11:59 AM »

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »

Am I missing something? That post wasn't bigoted in the least. Mitt's presidential runs were/would be heavily supported by both Mormon donors and voters, and yes, he would depend on them for his base of support. Just like Obama depended on blacks for his base of support.

Now, Lief may have made other anti-Mormon posts that I'm unaware of, but there's certainly nothing wrong with that one.

Also, that's assuming making jokes about someone's religious beliefs is "bigotry". Last time I checked, nobody is actually trying to impose second class citizenship or other restrictions on Mormons for their beliefs, the worst they get is made fun of on the internet. Boo hoo. I have to agree with the posters talking about "religious privilege" here. Your beliefs are not immune from criticism or jokes just because they might hurt your feelings.

First, I should note that I am nowhere near Mormon.  In fact, I am a pretty agnostic person in general.

Second, it wasn't really the post itself more as the history of the person who posted it (though I should note that Lief using the word "morman" instead of "mormon" is very very telling of his subtle bigotry).  I have made more than a few critiques of religious groups (especially in some of my historical posts on what people consider to be "mainstream protestants") and do not hesitate go call outright racism where I see it.

I am not a fan of Mitt Romney.  I did not support him for president.  I voted for Barack Obama in 2012.  However, I should note that you have a pretty absurd definition of "bigotry" if you think that "bigotry" excludes speech.

Here, let me help you out with a definition of "bigotry":

Quote from: Restricted
You see, jokes about how many wives Joseph Smith had is not "bigotry".  Hell, even jokes about cycling 5,000 miles a year while wearing full on dress slacks and business shirts will make you God of Jupiter or whatever the hell insane weird thing that was in the Book of Mormon (supposedly) is not even bigotry.  It's not even bigotry to point out that as recently as the 1960s that the Mormon Church had a restriction on making black men leaders in the Church.

What is bigotry is the attitude that some on here take against Mormons as a whole as a bunch of crazy religious nutjobs who lack sanity..  Which is clearly what Lief and other people think.  I'll give you the strong benefit of a doubt here and say that from this post, and other interactions I've had with you so far on this forum, that you are not an anti-Mormon bigot.  Your observation that Mormons strongly supported Romney is not a bigoted observation.  It is no more bigoted than saying that Catholics strongly supported JFK or that blacks supported Obama.

Point is, there is a world's worth of difference from saying that "Mormons are generally strongly conservative on issues and strongly favor the Republican Party" or even "I disagree with a lot of Mormons on issues like abortion because I think that many are a little backwards on the matter" from blanket statements and assumptions that Lief has made Mitt Romney is likely a racist because the Mormon leadership supported a ban on black leadership fifty years ago.  We must clearly draw the line between opposition and outright stereotyping, which is what many here fail to do on a bunch of matters.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 07:12:51 AM »

Should the Kentucky Democratic Party endorse mandatory gay marriage for everyone in order to become more competitive?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »

sorry to hear about the breakup Bushie, was it you or her

ps first merch is out

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies