should prostitution brothels be legal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:42:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  should prostitution brothels be legal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: you know the drill
yes, tax them heavily

yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: should prostitution brothels be legal?  (Read 7032 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2014, 10:28:18 AM »

Yes (feminist)

It's issues like this that radical feminists give feminism a bad name.

Radical feminists giving feminism a bad name by being anti-male, but you don't need to be anti-male to be concerned about women being exploited by brothels.  How would brothel legalization poll among the general public?  20% or so?

I'm somewhere near CrabCake on this one.

A) Being against brothels is anti-male (and anti-female).
B) Worried about exploitation? Then regulate them. Ever heard of workplace safety?
C) Who cares how it would poll. One shouldn't make public policy decisions based on opinion polls alone. For the record though, I suspect brothels would poll somewhere in the 30s. At least it would here; there's likely at least a 10 point gap between Canada and the US.

What?  No. Regardless of the merits, being opposed to it doesn't make someone Andrea Dworkin.  It's not what gives feminism a bad name. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2014, 05:35:52 PM »

Yes (feminist)

Radical feminists giving feminism a bad name by being anti-male, but you don't need to be anti-male to be concerned about women being exploited by brothels.  How would brothel legalization poll among the general public?  20% or so?

B) Worried about exploitation? Then regulate them. Ever heard of workplace safety?
C) Who cares how it would poll. One shouldn't make public policy decisions based on opinion polls alone. For the record though, I suspect brothels would poll somewhere in the 30s. At least it would here; there's likely at least a 10 point gap between Canada and the US.

As I said, I'm undecided on the issue, but it's definitely not as black and white as you claim:

A - Legalisation would inflate demand. The lack of penalties, the legitimisation of the business and the loss of stigma would mean more people would want prostitutes.

So?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's not only anti-sex, but rather offensive.

Well, under capitalism the vulnerable are pushed into a lot of undesirable jobs.  The real problem here is capitalism.

...and strict immigration controls. That's also a problem.

A problem that wouldn't be unique to brothels.

Looks like the Dutch need some brothel reform.

It's a really murky area, with so many shades of grey. We shouldn't be hasty in considering either side ultimately right or wrong.
[/quote]

Yes (feminist)

Yeah I mean fracking is regulated and it totally solves all the issues associated with it.

Seriously? Terrible example. Fracking is regulated "in name only". Wholly inadequate. I'm not advocating for the same level of terrible regulation in brothels as exists for fracking.

Yes (feminist)

What?  No. Regardless of the merits, being opposed to it doesn't make someone Andrea Dworkin.  It's not what gives feminism a bad name. 

Not the main thing I admit, but a small part that is related to the bad name that extreme feminists give to the cause (most of which has to do with the anti-sex movement). I've heard that some radical feminists even think that all sex is rape.  It's issues like this one that have caused my partner to eschew the feminist label altogether, preferring to call herself an "equalist".  Since I have more of a background on the topic (OK, I took a few women's studies classes in university), I don't mind myself still being labelled as a feminist.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2014, 08:12:06 PM »

Yes, legalize them and regulate them.
Tieteobserver
Rookie
Brazil

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2014, 06:43:16 AM »

Yes, they should. Forbidding a woman from selling a service which doesn't harm anyone and whose engagement upon is entirely consensual is clearly an act of aggression.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2014, 12:48:29 PM »

No, why legalize something that clearly degrades women, spreads disease, increases human trafficking, and often provides negligible monetary benefit to the prostitutes themselves? Shouldn't we be helping women leave prostitution instead of trying to create a morally objectionable source of tax revenue?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2014, 01:06:37 PM »

Of course, it brings all kinds of people out of the legal shadows (prostitutes get all kinds of abuse and yet they are forever in the dark about it because of their occupation), and we can properly regulate it and tax it.

Plus, people can already give away sex and it's not a crime, nor is filming paid sex. All we need to do is remove the camera.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2014, 01:32:22 PM »

No (feminist). While I don't see anything inherently wrong with buying or selling sex, I think it's structurally problematic. A better model would be that if you want sex, make yourself more attractive until the women you want want you back. That is harder but much more rewarding over the long run.

Besides, all the evidence from Germany suggests that legalization just grows the illicit industry. Keep this industry small as much as possible.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »

No, why legalize something that clearly degrades women

Agreed, we should ban mass media.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2014, 02:01:56 PM »

The arguments against it, seem patronizing to women it seems to me, treating them as children, who are unable to make wise decisions for themselves. In any event, there is probably far more exploitation in the dark shadows, then of the girls at the mustang ranch in Nevada. Brothels are outdated however. Now meretricious hookups tend to be arranged on-line. If I want a male hooker, I can have him in my sling in an hour. So it almost doesn't matter what the law is.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2014, 07:19:06 PM »

Torie has a good point actually this is yet another law that can't really be effectively enforced in the era of the internet. Sure police can and do online ad stings but they aren't even catching 1%, hell probably not even 0.1% of prostitution activity.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2014, 07:57:51 PM »

Let's look at this practically. What has historically happened with major crackdowns? The elimination of prostitution? The reasonable control of prostitution? Alas no. The only result is generally grotesque police corruption. Treating prostitution as a criminal problem does not work. Therefore, alternative solutions have to be considered...
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2014, 06:27:39 AM »

Let's look at this practically. What has historically happened with major crackdowns? The elimination of prostitution? The reasonable control of prostitution? Alas no. The only result is generally grotesque police corruption. Treating prostitution as a criminal problem does not work. Therefore, alternative solutions have to be considered...

I agree. I can't abide Rupert Everett but his documentary a few weeks ago on the matter was both frank and eye opening. If you're blasé about that sort of thing it's worth seeing.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2014, 09:42:55 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2014, 09:47:08 AM by Night Man »

Seriously, I fail to see a reason to oppose prostitution legalization.
Paying $100 to $10000  to have sex with someone is no less unethical than having any other one night stand for any other reason. And when women are exploited through prostitution, prostitution is not the problem. The problem is rape and kidnapping.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2014, 10:27:50 AM »

Paying $100 to $10000  to have sex with someone is no less unethical than having any other one night stand for any other reason. And when women are exploited through prostitution, prostitution is not the problem. The problem is rape and kidnapping.

In theory, but when you have no way of knowing whether the person you are paying was kidnapped or needs money to support a chemical addiction, there is a difference. The absence of a monetary transaction provides much better reassurance that what is being done is really through 'free will'.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2014, 10:41:08 AM »

In theory, but when you have no way of knowing whether the person you are paying was kidnapped or needs money to support a chemical addiction, there is a difference. The absence of a monetary transaction provides much better reassurance that what is being done is really through 'free will'.

You almost make an argument that prostitution should be legal but brothels not be legal. Its almost if you just had a call girl over, and if what they were doing was legal or they at least had immunity, they can tell you that they need to be rescued if they are doing it against their will.

I think a good argument against prostitution in general is that people who have to pay for sex, shouldn't be having sex. Then again, that sounds almost eugenical or at least elitist/socially conservative.
Repub242
Jack982
Rookie
United States

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2014, 05:15:49 PM »

No, all prostitution should be stay illegal and be heavily punished.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies