The Mike Assad Memorial Thread for Politics and/or Atlas-isms in Your Life
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:58:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Mike Assad Memorial Thread for Politics and/or Atlas-isms in Your Life
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Mike Assad Memorial Thread for Politics and/or Atlas-isms in Your Life  (Read 380 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2014, 11:54:26 AM »

I generally intend for this thread to be a place to share and make fun of the Snowstalkerish/Bandit-esque (United Students Against Sweatshop) issue de jours of certain people here at my university, but you can make whatever you want of it.

First off, when I get in front of a proper computer I'll post about when sorority girls wear sombreros, Mexicans Latin@s in sombreros get very prissy about stereotyping.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 02:13:56 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2014, 11:23:26 PM by Amb. AG GM Pc. Cllr. Simfan34 OSA(G) OSA(S) (a big deal) »

So for the Olympics one of our sororities (Theta, if you were wondering) decided to host a mixer where everyone would come in costume. People came as French in berets, Japan in chopsticks, etc, etc. And so Theta decided to be Mexicans and dress up in somberoes and fake mustaches.

http://bwog.com/2014/02/23/mixer-mix-up/#more-128259\

How very tame, right? No. quite suddenly, everyone began getting prissy. The Chican@ Caucus (yes, it's spelled that way) issued a very stern statement that said that "these pictures caricaturize Mexican culture and should not be overlooked. The attire trivializes an entire nation’s history, its peoples, and its cultures, reducing them to a mere mustache and sombrero" and that "humiliating and perpetuates that group’s oppression in the United States by reinforcing a general culture of disrespect." Shame, shame on them!

Then the Dean of Student Affairs joined in, saying that she was "incredibly saddened and disappointed to learn of students in our community participating in costume caricatures of several different nationalities." Even the Huffington Post had its share of the fun, saying that "the team's photo was remarkably similar to one from Penn State University's Chi Omega sorority that led to the chapter's suspension," because wearing sombreros is quite obviously just as offensive as holding signs that say “will mow lawn for weed + beer” and “I don’t cut grass, I smoke it.” Either way, shame on us, shame, shame.

But wait, what's this?

Why, it's the Chican@ Caucus, with cut outs at some event on campus! And these cut outs have... sombreros and mustaches? Surely this too reduces Mexican culture "to a mere mustache and sombrero"! What? I'm confused. So was everyone else. So what did they have to say from themselves?

"However, our event at Glass House Rocks was far from a trivial representation of our Mexican heritage; it was a means through which we paid tribute to one of the many cultures within Mexico, "

Actually, let me reproduce the whole statement, it's equally nonsensical:

On Thursday, February 13th, Chicano Caucus participated in Glass House Rocks 2014: Under the Sea, showcasing the southwestern coastal regions of Mexico through papel picado, lotería, face cut-outs, and traditional cuisine. We would like to apologize to anyone we offended with the images of the face cut-outs. It is regrettable that only one of the many aspects we sought to share was singled out, neglecting the overarching theme. However, our event at Glass House Rocks was far from a trivial representation of our Mexican heritage; it was a means through which we paid tribute to one of the many cultures within Mexico, combating the very issue of cultural unawareness. We attempted to address the stereotypes imposed upon us by showcasing their underlying truths: the places and peoples they actually pertain to. It is very easy to release certain images without context, and we feel that this is only taking away from the real issue at hand.

We reiterate that cultural appropriation is an issue that needs to be continually discussed and addressed on all levels. The concerns raised by both of these events (1) (2) are starting points to bring about tangible change to our campus community. As we move toward this goal, we hope it will include the participation of student organizations and administration.

Furthermore, we would like to be a resource for those with questions or concerns. We invite those who wish to discuss this situation to Chicano Caucus’ open meeting on Thursday, February 27th at 9pm.

I don't know about you, but all I see are sombreros, mustaches, and a great deal of faux outrage. As you can see, a great deal like the Atlas.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 03:42:15 PM »

Why, it's the Chican@ Caucus, with cut outs at some event on campus! And these cut outs have... sombreros and mustaches? Surely this too reduces Mexican culture "to a mere mustache and sombrero"! What? I'm confused. So was everyone else. So what did they have to say from themselves?

Seems like it can be easily explained by the principle that it's totally kosher to stereotype, make light of, use denigrating terms for one's own culture, but it's not okay to do it for groups you're not a part of.

You can agree or disagree with that principle, and of course you can take issue with the social justice academic-ese that gets used in situations like this... but I don't think it's a stretch to say they at least have a defensible point.  (FTR I do agree with said principle but the jargon is kinda thick and off-putting... which I guess makes me a Moderate Hero.  Oh well.)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 08:30:39 PM »

But yes, the problem is the lead person in said sorority is Mexican...

I surveyed 12 Mexicans/Latinos, 0 were offended.

Said one person in a comment with 124 "upvotes"

At the expense of being labeled an Uncle Tom I'm going to go ahead and identify myself, by name, as a proud Mexican who honestly sees absolutely no harm in a couple of sorority girls sporting fake mustaches and sombreros for a night of tequila and fun.

After 4 years here I can say with some (though obviously limited) certainty that the cadre of people that choose to engage in endless hand-wringing over 'cultural appropriation' are the same jackasses who go to Cafe Frida or Taqueria&Fonda in order to pretend they're responsible and authentic about experiencing other cultures, as opposed to just going there to eat very tasty food.

They'll go to Oaxaca for a week and gush about microfinance or fair trade or whatever, and then they'll come back and do coke to stay awake for their ibanking internship without considering the fact they're indirectly feeding the machine that kills the kids they took so many facebook pictures with.

And to be honest, I'll take the Chipotle-eating, hat-wearing sorority girls over that other group any day of the week.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies