61% of Young Republicans support gay marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:51:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  61% of Young Republicans support gay marriage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: 61% of Young Republicans support gay marriage  (Read 3164 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2014, 09:01:11 PM »

Pregnancy isn't a disease, but it raises a specific set of medical issues.  I don't really understand the problem.  But, it's absolutely a matter of fairness that women can have a similar ability as men to manage their reproductive health.

Well, I'm also opposed to having medical insurance be required to pay for ED treatments.

I disagree first with the idea that sex is some frivolous thing that medical care should never attempt to facilitate.  Sex is one of the best parts of life.  It's not really something people see as optional or incidental to having a quality of life.  It's like saying someone with a severe knee injury who can barely walk doesn't need surgery because, after all, not being able to play lacrosse is just a frivolous non-medical problem.

But, you realize pregnancy is a major medical event?  And, also, women use contraceptives for non-shameful, shameful sex purposes.  Pain and menstrual cramps aren't medical issues?  Regulating your menstrual cycle isn't a medical concern?  Acne, endometriosis, etc? 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2014, 10:17:43 PM »

Pregnancy isn't a disease, but it raises a specific set of medical issues.  I don't really understand the problem.  But, it's absolutely a matter of fairness that women can have a similar ability as men to manage their reproductive health.

Well, I'm also opposed to having medical insurance be required to pay for ED treatments.

I disagree first with the idea that sex is some frivolous thing that medical care should never attempt to facilitate.  Sex is one of the best parts of life.  It's not really something people see as optional or incidental to having a quality of life.  It's like saying someone with a severe knee injury who can barely walk doesn't need surgery because, after all, not being able to play lacrosse is just a frivolous non-medical problem.

But, you realize pregnancy is a major medical event?  And, also, women use contraceptives for non-shameful, shameful sex purposes.  Pain and menstrual cramps aren't medical issues?  Regulating your menstrual cycle isn't a medical concern?  Acne, endometriosis, etc? 

Pregnancy is a major event, but it is also a necessary one until our Brave New World develops artificial wombs.  As for alternative uses of contraceptives that are medicinal, then just as with ED treatments that are sometimes prescribed for medical uses, when they are indeed being prescribed as medicines then yes.  But I do not consider their use for the sole purpose of contraception to be a medical treatment.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2014, 10:28:38 PM »

Pregnancy is a major event, but it is also a necessary one until our Brave New World develops artificial wombs.  As for alternative uses of contraceptives that are medicinal, then just as with ED treatments that are sometimes prescribed for medical uses, when they are indeed being prescribed as medicines then yes.  But I do not consider their use for the sole purpose of contraception to be a medical treatment.

Hmm, I think it's up to the woman to decide whether she wants to be pregnant. 

I guess I don't care whether medicine treats an illness or just a medically significant condition.  And what about the fairness argument.  A woman is at a disadvantage in the workplace compared to a man if she doesn't get the power to control her reproduction.  If something is necessary to have gender equality, why not just pay for it through an effective means of distributing medicine?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2014, 12:19:11 AM »

Hmm, I think it's up to the woman to decide whether she wants to be pregnant. 

Agreed, but I fail to see where that makes it society's obligation to reduce the cost to her to either decrease or increase the chances of that happening.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
To repeat, in this situation is it medicine, Humpty Dumpty?

As long as we think of it as maternity leave instead of parental leave, we're not going to eliminate that disadvantage that women face in the workplace no matter how many other laws or regulation we enact.  Besides, considering the economics involved for the insurance company, let's step back and look at the real problem here.  We have employers serving as gateways between their employees and their insurance, which ideally they should have zero role in providing.  It's that third party in between that causes this issue to even arise in the first place.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2014, 12:31:24 AM »

How does this compare to Old Democrats?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread