30 Senate Dems plan all-nighter discussing climate change.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:09:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  30 Senate Dems plan all-nighter discussing climate change.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 30 Senate Dems plan all-nighter discussing climate change.  (Read 2574 times)
MalaspinaGold

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2014, 07:15:18 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/10/senate-overnight-climate-change_n_4937078.html
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:07:24 PM »

C-SPAN's ratings among insomniacs will plummet.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 08:08:58 PM »

Hope they make some progress.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 08:18:19 PM »

Fantastic waste of time for the greatest hoax in modern history
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:34:41 PM »

No sleepover at Tom Steyer's house?
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:25:50 PM »

Thomas Jefferson: I did not delete my post. I assume it was deleted by a mod. I won't contest it. I will ask a question to CTRattlesnake
Do you know that scientists first identified CO2, CH4, and N2O as greenhouse gases a century ago, before any talk of global warming was around? And do you you deny that greenhouse gases have been increasing in the atmosphere, as a direct result of human industrial activity? This is not a hard concept to grasp...
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 11:12:20 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2014, 11:19:12 PM by Starwatcher »

The Democrats are just being stupid here. Keep your eye on the ball. We've already made great strides in clean energy, and continue to. No need for a more controversial public policy than what we already have on this. They need to focus on the economy, immigration, Afghanistan, fixing Washington DC, and positive news on ObamaCare.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 11:38:27 PM »

I respectfully disagree. At the very least, they need to expose the misinformation. That's actually what they're doing right now- mostly it's been "look at what's happened, here's the evidence". A few senators mentioned cap-and-trade, but most specific policies have been along the lines of fuel efficiency standards and renewable energy/natural gas investment. I'm hearing Shaheen-Portman touted a lot so far. None of the policies they are seriously talking about I feel could be mildly controversial, and again, most of the time they are talking about the evidence of what is happening in their own states.

My own favorite was, surprisingly, Senator King's (I-ME) speech. He did a great job connecting the dots on economic, environmental, security, moral, reasons, to take action.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 11:50:13 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2014, 11:52:57 PM by Starwatcher »

But my point is that we're already doing those things, we're already acting.

Anything new seriously proposed and tried would be very controversial, especially with these Republicans, especially in an election year.

People's takeaway from this will simply be something like: the Democrats are spending all night NOT talking about the economy, or ending the war, or fixing Washington... they're talking about climate change? Climate change, seriously? Oh, so they care more about that than the economy. Their priorities sure are messed up. Where's my job?

It just sends the wrong message. When was the last time the Democrats worked this hard for a comprehensive deal on the economy?
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 11:54:51 PM »

I never heard that talking point when Rand Paul and others filibustered on drones and the NSA.

I think the method in the madness is to make it a more visible issue so they can capitalize on it later. Otherwise I don't think 29 senators would be doing it. More like 5. We'll just have to see though.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 12:24:05 AM »

Martin Heinrich talking right now
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 05:36:23 PM »

Ted Cruz read Green Eggs and Ham. I guess the Democrats can read The Lorax.

What a joke.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 05:39:42 PM »

Martin Heinrich talking right now
Is Kirsten Gillibrand on? Or have I missed it? Sad.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 07:02:11 PM »

So.  Did this turn out like most all-nighters?  High expectations that met the cruel realization at five in the morning that you didn't accomplish much of what you hoped you would when you planned it?
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »

I never heard that talking point when Rand Paul and others filibustered on drones and the NSA.

I think the method in the madness is to make it a more visible issue so they can capitalize on it later. Otherwise I don't think 29 senators would be doing it. More like 5. We'll just have to see though.

There is nothing for the Democrats to capitalize. In another decade or two, temperatures will probably be the same as they are now (same for the last 10,000 years), and the hoax will be revealed. The weirdest thing about this era is the lack of climate change.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 08:15:25 PM »

There is nothing for the Democrats to capitalize. In another decade or two, temperatures will probably be the same as they are now (same for the last 10,000 years), and the hoax will be revealed. The weirdest thing about this era is the lack of climate change.

The change itself probably won't be particularly noticeable. It doesn't take a big change in temperature to mess up the global ecosystem.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 08:50:16 PM »

You are talking of the Republican motto "Lowering taxes for millionaires will make everyone wealthier"? Because that's the biggest hoax I ever heard.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 12:49:41 AM »

I watched it and it was mostly Booker, Whitehouse, Heinrich, and Schatz having a bro-off.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 07:23:09 PM »

I have higher expectations for Democrats.

Republicans keep trying to repeal ObamaCare, threaten shutdown and default, talk about nonsense issues, etc. all the time.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 07:42:46 PM »

The change itself probably won't be particularly noticeable. It doesn't take a big change in temperature to mess up the global ecosystem.

Changes over the last 150,000 years have been much more violent and abrupt than the last several millenniums. No one knows why climate change stopped. Some people are convinced CO2 concentration from industrialization will cause long-term problems. Some politicians are anxious to use these theories to reorder the global economy.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 12:13:45 AM »

Sigh... I'm just going to repeat a previous quote.
Do you know that scientists first identified CO2, CH4, and N2O as greenhouse gases a century ago, before any talk of global warming was around? And do you you deny that greenhouse gases have been increasing in the atmosphere, as a direct result of human industrial activity? This is not a hard concept to grasp...
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 03:02:46 AM »

hey AggregateDemand

this is not a debate.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 12:32:57 PM »

Hey butafly, thats not the way science works and there are plenty of dissenters, please don't cherry pick data.

“In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason in an individual man.”
― Galileo Galilei

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »

Hey butafly, thats not the way science works and there are plenty of dissenters, please don't cherry pick data.

9136 cherries versus 1 lemon is hardly cherrypicking.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 01:34:53 PM »

“In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason in an individual man.”
― Galileo Galilei

Hey CTRattlesnake, the 9136 sparks of reason from 9136 reasonable person outweighs the one tiny "authoritative opinion".

And yes, that is the way science works.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies