Labor Party Standing Committee - FAREWELL
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:38:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Labor Party Standing Committee - FAREWELL
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Labor Party Standing Committee - FAREWELL  (Read 9486 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2014, 10:30:06 AM »

I also have a 7-3 score. I've written to thank most of the seven of you, and if I have not done so yet, I will a bit later!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2014, 10:42:38 AM »

Both are great choices:

1. DemPGH
2. Flo
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2014, 01:47:11 PM »

DemPGH has been a liberal for a long time before becoming a Labor...

That was a long time ago, ftr.

For sure. Then, you've entered on Labor, left it, stayed a good time on the Progressive Union and returned to Labor. What I'm trying to say is that Alfred concern shouldn't apply only for Flo...

Flo literally joined Labor a week ago. DemPGH has been here for months now. I will personally vouch for his commitment to the party to anyone who doubts him.

Of course, that's not the only reason to vote for DemPGH. Anyone who's been following regional politics in recent weeks will be familiar with the parade of awful, irresponsible legislation that he has blocked as Governor.
He's also responsible for blocking another bill that could have been very helpful and effective in avoiding more car accidents which had the backing of Speaker Flo and Councilor Cranberry.

And the council and the Governor only struck down the Apple MacBooks bill after the Crisis Manager was strongly advising against wasteful spending for laptops and even going as far as threatening to lose the stimulus money.

With that said, I think the current leadership is doing a great job in itself on reviving the Pacific and Flo and DemPGH make a great team in their current positions and we can avoid a merge that way. I wasn't to fond of Flo's move to the Radical Gay Party then Labor then TPP then Labor again, so that's another reason for my vote:

1) DemPGH
2) Flo
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2014, 01:50:12 PM »

For sure. Then, you've entered on Labor, left it, stayed a good time on the Progressive Union and returned to Labor. What I'm trying to say is that Alfred concern shouldn't apply only for Flo...

Flo literally joined Labor a week ago. DemPGH has been here for months now. I will personally vouch for his commitment to the party to anyone who doubts him.

Of course, that's not the only reason to vote for DemPGH. Anyone who's been following regional politics in recent weeks will be familiar with the parade of awful, irresponsible legislation that he has blocked as Governor.
He's also responsible for blocking another bill that could have been very helpful and effective in avoiding more car accidents which had the backing of Speaker Flo and Councilor Cranberry.

And the council and the Governor only struck down the Apple MacBooks bill after the Crisis Manager was strongly advising against wasteful spending for laptops and even going as far as threatening to lose the stimulus money.

With that said, I think the current leadership is doing a great job in itself on reviving the Pacific and Flo and DemPGH make a great team in their current positions and we can avoid a merge that way. I wasn't to fond of Flo's move to the Radical Gay Party then Labor then TPP then Labor again, so that's another reason for my vote:

1) DemPGH
2) Flo

I've always been against that bill?
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2014, 02:04:34 PM »

1) DemPGH
2) Flo

Besides the Nay vote (which was after the outside outrage from it and evidence against it), you never did share your view on it....
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2014, 02:05:26 PM »

1) DemPGH
2) Flo

Besides the Nay vote (which was after the outside outrage from it and evidence against it), you never did share your view on it....

But you're just assuming I was always supportive of it
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2014, 02:16:19 PM »

1) DemPGH
2) Flo

But you're just assuming I was always supportive of it
No. I said the council at-large which is partly true since there were other Councilors who supported it originally and was bound to pass if a vote had been taken on it if a vote was taken right away and Devin's conditions were met. I'm not saying it was you. If I was, I would have just said the "Speaker and the Governor" but I didn't.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2014, 02:43:17 PM »

Voting ended at 5:38 AM ET this morning:

DemPGH wins the endorsement of the Labor Party, 7-3.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2014, 03:27:22 PM »

Thank you, Labor! I will represent you with dignity and with complete commitment, always. I'll make a final speech in my thread a bit later tonight.

It's also good to see some debate occurring! My thinking is: Not only would that law be just another law on the books, I think the bill is too broadly worded. This is one reason why I've started to be a bit more critical - I do not wish to alienate the Council, but some of these things need more critical examination, or simply revised.

I would also argue that a simple conversation on the phone is every bit as distracting as punching radio buttons, so we get into an area where we have to ask, Do we really want to put that into law?
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2014, 09:16:54 PM »

Flo, I'm not trying to be a jerk (although, perhaps more importantly, I'm not trying not to be a jerk), but this question needs to be asked: Why did you contest our primary if you weren't prepared to accept its result?

Because I believe I am the best person suited for Governor.

Besides, this party fits me, whether I'm elected or not I'll still re-join Smiley
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2014, 09:28:52 PM »

I was always going to run whether or not I won the Labor primary because I genuinely believe that I will be the best person for the job. I contested it because, well, DemPGH ran, and we're both members of this party.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2014, 09:51:38 PM »

I am not a Laborite, Flo, but you have changed parties four times in as many weeks now. You might find this problematic, particularly when you're taking the "sore loser" approach to a primary (the actual terminology, not a moral judgement on my part).
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2014, 04:21:56 AM »

Well,
Which Laborite will seek the senate? Alfred and? (Talleyrand is retiring)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2014, 11:21:30 PM »

Flo, I'm not trying to be a jerk (although, perhaps more importantly, I'm not trying not to be a jerk), but this question needs to be asked: Why did you contest our primary if you weren't prepared to accept its result?

Besides, this party fits me, whether I'm elected or not I'll still re-join Smiley

Provided we allow someone that has such flagrant disregard for our party's nominating process to rejoin, that is. Quite frankly I have a bit of a problem with using Labor as a vehicle for election when it's convenient, and then dumping us whenever it's not.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2014, 11:29:12 PM »

Provided we allow someone that has such flagrant disregard for our party's nominating process to rejoin, that is. Quite frankly I have a bit of a problem with using Labor as a vehicle for election when it's convenient, and then dumping us whenever it's not.
To be fair, his running actually did the region good. I'm still not a fan of the flip-flopping of parties, but he gave the Pacific it's first competitive election between 2 quality candidates in the region since probably PJ v. Spamage and it wasn't because he wanted to diss the party as some of you seem to think. All of that while accomplishing a successful write-in campaign and rejoining the Labor Party (thus making it an L hold in the Council) and knocking out a Fed in the process. Let's not forget either that Flo also recruited a young and bright-minded Laborite in TheCranberry who will likely succeed him as Speaker, so either one would be a great candidate for federal office after they serve one or two more terms in the Council.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2014, 04:56:53 AM »

Has the office of General Secretary been abolished?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2014, 01:36:39 PM »

Has the office of General Secretary been abolished?

Not to my knowledge. It is however, vacant as per the resignation of Snowstalker.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2014, 04:54:09 PM »

Let's reflect, as today, we celebrate the struggles of the working class as they fight to unshackle themselves from the chains of economic tyranny.

Dear People,

A special message today from the President on Labor Day:

Without Atlasia's workers asserting themselves and without unions to protect wages and to bargain for measures like just cause, I dare say that that we'd be far less removed from Feudalism than what we currently are. Power and wealth are relative, and when power and wealth are exclusively owned by too few people, the democratic processes that ensure our freedom and moreover, the mobility of our people, are severely threatened.

Democracy and equality have been slowly evolving over recorded time, and I feel that as long as Atlasia's workers assert their voice and we hold in check the corporate, we will continue on the path of progress!

Atlasia's workers have a friend in this President. Enjoy your day off, your friends, and good wine (or your favorite beverage!).

--The President

Hoffa and Reds are excellent choices, Comrade President. You're doing a fine job. Don't let the haters get to you. Keep up the good work.

I thank you, Senator! As I mentioned in your thread, you have my endorsement!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2014, 06:51:42 PM »

Hello comrades,

With a scheduled convention quickly approaching, we have some business that should be addressed beforehand.

For the past two years, the Labor Party has been the only party that has maintained a consistent upward trajectory in all aspects of this game. It’s amazing to think that we are now the only dissolution party to remain in existence, and possibly second only to the JCP in combination of size, amount of influence and duration of said influence. Many of us can remember back to 2012, when we were a distant third-place party in this game. How far we have managed to go since then.

I credit this in large part due to the fact that we had something that no other party truly enjoyed: a combination of close-knit camaraderie and ideological zeal. Both of these elements have been present and potent throughout our rise; every other party we’ve come across has either only possessed one of these elements, or a weak concentration of both. The organizing of our party into something more deliberate also lifted us from the annals of insignificance, but the bonds of friendship and the agreement to show a united front on most policy gave us the ability to dispatch with every opponent along the way.

But as of late, these elements seem to be fading. It saddens me that some of our newer players and members may have missed out on the Glorious Era That Was, as it makes them more susceptible and less aware of the shenanigans that many use in this game – currently with much success against our own party. Because I’ve also made it no secret to many members that this will be my final term as your Party Chair (for good, this time), I’m distressed that I’ll be leaving office at such a tumultuous time given the historical success during my tenure over the past couple of years. It does provide a sense of liberation and introspection, however, in regards to mistakes made and successes won.

We see a wide variety of disagreements on policy in public among members, with no regard whatsoever for what that does to party morale or long-term vision. We see members being influenced by outside forces that have no concern for the future of this party - and let’s be real: we’re talking about the IRC/TPP bloc, which has always been just as content at conspiring against any faction in this game as they are being allied with them; there isn’t a single other entity that has spent more time on both sides of this fence with them than Labor, so please withhold the inevitable rebuttals. We see consistent defections at the ballot box – more than at any point since I joined the party leadership - and in many cases from people who expect to use our party to get elected, but will then refuse to vote for its candidates.

Labor more than anything has been a great experiment: to show that there was no need to be a generic, left-center party in Atlasia in order to rise to power. We didn't get to JCP levels in that regard, but I don't think any of us expected that given the goals. We've done great things, both on the policy front and the partisan front. To be a left-center bloc is to take the easy way forward: yawn, we all know what happens. Anyone who has seen the full rise of Labor knows that practically everyone has always sought to deter us, implicitly or explicitly; we should never expect allies in exchange for selling our party out. We hold our future in our hands, but we must stop giving others the power to exploit us, like the left-center once had over us so long ago.

We must pick one path of the two.

1) I maintain that this Party can still succeed, can still be strong and can still do everything it has and more, but not with all of the fractures and flaws currently present. I blame myself considerably for being lax lately with whipping votes, creating new opportunities for players, recruiting fresh faces, paying appeasement tribute to the IRC precincts and engaging with members like I once did, but the end of my era is quickly approaching. Almost anyone with some semblance of normalcy should burn out after running the Atlasian show for two years (ideally sooner). But if you want to save it, then we must first save ourselves from ourselves, and others must be capable of taking the reins. The attacks against us that are supposedly related to “extreme policies” are not valid; many of us have been around long enough to know that we’ve always been considerably to the left of the rest, and that this line of attack is almost always a suit of armor to shield the attacker from displaying their true personal, ambitious or trollish motivations.

2) But choosing to act like we have been acting, a party cannot stand, and will not stand. We fought against dying, zombie parties and non-ideological cliques and cults because they have no purpose in this game. If our party, too, has reached that point, then it should be accepted. We’re not the Liberal Party. We’re not the Whig-Communitarian Party. We’re not the Imperial Bloc. We’re not The People’s Party. We’re not the Progressive Union. We're not any of the others. We’re the goddamned Labor Party of Atlasia, and if we’re to go down, then we’ll do it with dignity and on our own terms.

As such, you now have a choice, and we will choose which path to take by holding a vote of confidence on the continued existence of the Labor Party.

Only Labor Party members at the time of this publication (43 in all) shall be eligible to vote.

This vote will last for 96 hours.

If there is at least 60% turnout (26 voters) with 75% or more of the voters voting to continue, we will lay this to rest.

If there is at least 60% turnout (26 voters) with less than 75% of voters voting to continue, an additional discussion and vote will be held.

OFFICIAL BALLOT:

Should the Labor Party of Atlasia continue to exist, or should it dissolve?

[  ] Continuation
[  ] Dissolution
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2014, 06:54:36 PM »

OFFICIAL BALLOT:

[X] Continuation
[  ] Dissolution
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2014, 07:27:24 PM »

OFFICIAL BALLOT:

[ X ] Continuation
[  ] Dissolution
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2014, 07:51:27 PM »

OFFICIAL BALLOT:

[X] Continuation
[  ] Dissolution
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2014, 07:53:57 PM »

Continuation.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2014, 07:57:51 PM »

OFFICIAL BALLOT:

[X] Continuation
[  ] Dissolution

LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2014, 08:46:31 PM »

OFFICIAL BALLOT:

[X] Continuation
[  ] Dissolution
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies