Sarah Palin to Obama: Stop using "race card"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:04:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sarah Palin to Obama: Stop using "race card"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Sarah Palin to Obama: Stop using "race card"  (Read 2971 times)
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 06:36:40 AM »

I had alot of respect for Obama, despite my disapproval of his administration, but after blaming racism for his low approval ratings, I lost some of that respect.

I agree with you that he doesn't always use the race card, and there is no evidence he "hates white people", but comments like this do support her argument.

Well, fact of the matter is that there are plenty of people who dislike and like him solely on the basis of his race...and the former tend to outnumber the latter.

● If both anti-Black and pro-Black attitudes had been converted to be neutral, the proportion of Americans disapproving of President Obama’s job performance would have been 1 to 3 percentage points lower in both 2010 and 2012.

● Neutralizing anti-Black attitudes led to a projected increase in Mr. Obama’s 2012
vote share of 4 percentage points and a projected decrease in Mr. Romney’s 2012 vote share of 5 percentage points.

● Converting both anti-Black and pro-Black attitudes to neutral led to a projected increase in Mr. Obama’s 2012 vote share of 2 percentage points and a projected decrease in Mr. Romney’s 2012 vote share of 3 percentage points.

https://pprg.stanford.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012-Voting-and-Racism.pdf
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 06:41:27 AM »

Was John Kerry really to the right of Obama on social or energy issues?  And hell, who really votes only on social issues?  The economy was the most important issue in 2012 and 2008.  In 2004, it was our defense/national security policy.

Of all people, the residents of West Virginia and Kentucky probably have the least business voting based on boutique issues like abortion and SSM. Not when they would literally starve were it not for the federal government.

That's why I think the whole "the South votes Republican because gays" thing is overplayed.  Honestly, the reason for the South's trend has always stumped me.  Even on energy issues, I very much doubt that Obama or Kerry are much different from your standard Democrat on those as well... yet the South went for Clinton twice, who's hardly "pro-coal."  The only thing I can think of is regional loyalty.

Then you should read more Andrew Gelman.  Smiley  The poor in Southern states tend to vote for Dems, just like the poor in the rest of the country.  What creates the "red-blue divide" is the divergence in voting behavior in different regions among those with $.  From the 2008 election, for example:

Is there an ethnic breakdown for this data as well? Here's some similar data which appears to indicate that whites in the South are Republican across the board...not really surprising considering that 90% of whites in the poorest state of the union (MS) voted for Romney.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 07:40:45 AM »

Was John Kerry really to the right of Obama on social or energy issues?  And hell, who really votes only on social issues?  The economy was the most important issue in 2012 and 2008.  In 2004, it was our defense/national security policy.

Of all people, the residents of West Virginia and Kentucky probably have the least business voting based on boutique issues like abortion and SSM. Not when they would literally starve were it not for the federal government.

That's why I think the whole "the South votes Republican because gays" thing is overplayed.  Honestly, the reason for the South's trend has always stumped me.  Even on energy issues, I very much doubt that Obama or Kerry are much different from your standard Democrat on those as well... yet the South went for Clinton twice, who's hardly "pro-coal."  The only thing I can think of is regional loyalty.

Then you should read more Andrew Gelman.  Smiley  The poor in Southern states tend to vote for Dems, just like the poor in the rest of the country.  What creates the "red-blue divide" is the divergence in voting behavior in different regions among those with $.  From the 2008 election, for example:

Is there an ethnic breakdown for this data as well?

I don't have the exact same graph for different races, but these two graphs show that the same basic effect is still there, even when you restrict the sample to whites only (though not quite as strongly):

EDIT: But this dataset obviously doesn't go all the way up to 2012, so it's possible that things have changed somewhat in the last couple of elections.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »

Maybe Governor Palin should tell Rand Paul to stop using the race card first.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 09:28:04 PM »

I seriously cannot deal with this woman anymore.

She uses racially fraught dog whistles like "shuck and jive" when referring to POTUS, compares the existence of a national debt to slavery and then accuses Barack Obama of "playing the race card."

WHAT RACE CARD? Other than his Henry Louis Gates and Trayvon Martin remarks, what substantive things has Barack Obama done that involve playing the race card?

Sarah, when your party held a primary in South Carolina in 2012, 98% of the people who participated were white.

Sarah, the Tea Partiers you so fervently identify with regularly carry around signs comparing Obama to an African witch doctor or implying he is somehow Muslim or otherwise foreign.

Sarah, your party loses the non-white vote in this country by landslide margins.

Sarah, your party pushes Voter ID laws that disproportionately prevent non-white people from being able to vote.

Sarah, your fellow Republicans like Paul LePage and Rush Limbaugh regularly accuse the president of "hating white people" with no substantive evidence to back those claims up.

Sarah, please, stay in your own lane and go back to pushing your Christmas book or trolling for a new reality show contract or whatever else you're doing to whore yourself out for more money this month.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.examiner.com/article/barack-obama-blames-racism-for-lack-of-approval-among-white-voters

I had alot of respect for Obama, despite my disapproval of his administration, but after blaming racism for his low approval ratings, I lost some of that respect.
It's a good thing he didn't blame his low approval ratings on racism then.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 01:07:21 AM »

Sarah Palin best dump the Race Card from her inventory. It's -3 to Charisma and -4 to Intellect.
Representative Joe Mad
Joe Mad
Rookie

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 01:35:00 AM »

It amazes me that she could have potentially been our VP.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 01:42:34 AM »

Who cares about Palin?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 04:35:03 AM »

I haven't seen decreasing turnout mentioned as a variable in explaining WV, KY, AR etc. voting patterns in this thread, either.

Some of these people definitely have switched to the GOP since 2004, but many of them are simply staying home on Election Day.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 07:47:31 AM »

Was John Kerry really to the right of Obama on social or energy issues?  And hell, who really votes only on social issues?  The economy was the most important issue in 2012 and 2008.  In 2004, it was our defense/national security policy.

That's why I think the whole "the South votes Republican because gays" thing is overplayed.  Honestly, the reason for the South's trend has always stumped me.  Even on energy issues, I very much doubt that Obama or Kerry are much different from your standard Democrat on those as well... yet the South went for Clinton twice, who's hardly "pro-coal."  The only thing I can think of is regional loyalty.

Then you should read more Andrew Gelman.  Smiley  The poor in Southern states tend to vote for Dems, just like the poor in the rest of the country.  What creates the "red-blue divide" is the divergence in voting behavior in different regions among those with $.  From the 2008 election, for example:

I must be missing something.  Isn't Mississippi one of the poorest states in the country?  Ergo, it should vote overwhelmingly Democratic?

I think race is a better indicator of how one votes than income, and that's a much more polarizing factor in the South.

Could it be that Mississippi has few black people with high incomes, and that Mississippi blacks are still much poorer than Mississippi whites?

Ethnic disparities in income are probably lower in Connecticut than in Ohio, let alone Mississippi. Add to that -- Connecticut lies entirely within the cultural Northeast. No part of Connecticut is part of the Mountain or Deep South.  Ohio is about half Northeastern (Greater Cleveland and Toledo at the least)  and half Mountain South, with Columbus and Cincinnati on the borderline. Mississippi is undeniably Southern -- Mountain South in the northeast (think of Elvis Presley)  and Deep South elsewhere. 

Ohio is politically a good microcosm of the US as a whole, and such shows in voting for the winner in every Presidential election since 1964.

Maybe we need look again at the thread "Is Connecticut the Best State in Which to Live?" 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 08:05:28 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2014, 08:08:45 AM by Mr. Morden »

Here's another plot, using polling data from the 2008 election campaign (not exit polls, which I think is what the other plots show), that shows the difference in the rich vote vs. the poor vote in different states…..showing how in the poorer states, it's the wealthier people who are voting GOP, whereas in Connecticut you actually have an inverse relationship, where wealthier people vote more Democratic:

But if you restrict the sample to whites only, the effect is still there, but diminished:

But even in that latter plot, where you're dealing with whites only, the vast majority of the states have Republicans getting more support from rich whites than poor whites.  It's just in the really wealthy states like CT, NJ, NY where this isn't the case.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2014, 08:17:17 AM »

Sarah Palin is a sick joke who has milked being a political misjudgment for almost five years.

So what does "using the race card" really mean?

1. The President would be using federal employment as patronage for blacks. I don't see that.

2. The President would be pushing for huge increases in welfare spending. I don't see that.

3. He would be pardoning blacks who commit serious crimes in huge numbers. I don't see that.

Sarah Palin, as usual, may be spouting off what others have told her to do so without understanding the meaning of the words.   
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 08:34:17 AM »

1. The President would be using federal employment as patronage for blacks. I don't see that.

How else does one explain Eric Holder as Attorney General? Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2014, 08:46:16 AM »

whereas in Connecticut you actually have an inverse relationship, where wealthier people vote more Democratic

Which, as anyone familiar with town level results in CT knows, is not actually the case. Quantitative sociology is absolute dross in 69.4% of cases (sample size 394).
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »

whereas in Connecticut you actually have an inverse relationship, where wealthier people vote more Democratic

Which, as anyone familiar with town level results in CT knows, is not actually the case. Quantitative sociology is absolute dross in 69.4% of cases (sample size 394).

I think Gelman is mistaken on the nature of the correlation re: CT. Wealthier voters in places like CT aren't more Democratic than poorer voters in CT, but they are considerably more Democratic than wealthier voters in, say, Texas or Alabama. Tongue
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »

Guntaker to Sarah Palin:Go away.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2014, 08:13:17 PM »

Guntaker Everyone to Sarah Palin:Go away.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2014, 08:21:46 PM »

Well the only reason anyone hates Barack Obama is because he's Black. Now before you start screaming "race card" I didn't say "disagree with." Plenty of people disagree with his policies, and that's fine. But I guarantee you that almost everyone who has this intense hatred of the President, it's because of the color of his skin.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2014, 05:38:32 PM »

West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Louisiana have been trending Republican recently due to social issues mainly, and also coal in WV. And since social issues played a huge part in the last election, these states went big for Romney.

I'm not talking about 2012. I'm saying that America as a whole supported George W. Bush in 2004 and Barack Obama in 2008. The country as a whole swung towards the Democrats. That didn't happen in the states I referenced. They voted more Republican in 2008 than they did in 2004. That implies that a lot of people who voted for John Kerry in 2004 despite him being a terrible candidate were unwilling to vote for Barack Obama, who was a much better candidate and whose Republican alternative was much worse. I cannot think of any good reason why someone would vote for John Kerry but not for Barack Obama other than a general dislike of his race and perceived "exoticism."

How about inexperience? McCain had been a Senator longer than Obama's entire political career. How about background? Obama launched his career in the home of Bill Ayers. Mccain was a veteran from a respected family. How about Obama's flip flops on the insurance mandate, and stand your ground laws? You seem like one of those people who see racism everywhere.
Joshgreen
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2014, 05:44:46 PM »

West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Louisiana have been trending Republican recently due to social issues mainly, and also coal in WV. And since social issues played a huge part in the last election, these states went big for Romney.

I'm not talking about 2012. I'm saying that America as a whole supported George W. Bush in 2004 and Barack Obama in 2008. The country as a whole swung towards the Democrats. That didn't happen in the states I referenced. They voted more Republican in 2008 than they did in 2004. That implies that a lot of people who voted for John Kerry in 2004 despite him being a terrible candidate were unwilling to vote for Barack Obama, who was a much better candidate and whose Republican alternative was much worse. I cannot think of any good reason why someone would vote for John Kerry but not for Barack Obama other than a general dislike of his race and perceived "exoticism."

How about inexperience? McCain had been a Senator longer than Obama's entire political career. How about background? Obama launched his career in the home of Bill Ayers. Mccain was a veteran from a respected family. How about Obama's flip flops on the insurance mandate, and stand your ground laws? You seem like one of those people who see racism everywhere.

And why did those factors only play in those 5 states? Enlighten us...
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2014, 08:21:45 PM »

And why did those factors only play in those 5 states? Enlighten us...
Mostly because Republicans were deeply unpopular. 2008 was one of the best Democratic years since 64.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2014, 08:38:06 PM »

Couldn't the same reasoning be used to "prove" that anti-Mormon bigotry is prevalent in Alaska, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, New York, New Jersey?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2014, 08:52:11 PM »

Couldn't the same reasoning be used to "prove" that anti-Mormon bigotry is prevalent in Alaska, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, New York, New Jersey?

No.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2014, 10:57:28 PM by shua »

Was racism a factor in those states swinging against the Democrats?  Sure, but it was far from the only one.  These areas had already been trending that way for quite some time, so this is to a large extent a continuation of a trend. LA was finally  catching up to where MS and AL had been for a long time in terms of the white vote.  Also I expect McCain and Palin had a strong populist appeal in the Upland South especially.  It may be worth remembering too that 2008 was the first time in a generation (since 1984) that the Dems had a ticket without a Southerner.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies