Sexual abuse has become a huge problem for America's bible colleges
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:34:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sexual abuse has become a huge problem for America's bible colleges
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Sexual abuse has become a huge problem for America's bible colleges  (Read 5097 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2014, 10:35:29 AM »

Samantha Field was a student at Pensacola Christian College in 2009, when she claims to have suffered repeated physical and sexual assaults—including two alleged rapes—by her ex-fiancé, a fellow student. Thanks to the school’s strict morality code, which doesn’t allow men and women to use the same elevators, much less be alone in the same room, Samantha was reluctant to report her story to the school for fear of inviting suspicion and scrutiny, if not expulsion. Eventually, other students and faculty members noticed something was wrong, and Field was called in to meet with college administrators, including the school’s dean for women, who, Field says, told her that “confession [is] good for the soul.” When she remained silent, having nothing to confess, Field was sent to the school counselor.

“I started to tell her that my boyfriend had made me do things that I didn’t want to do, but she interrupted me and asked what I needed to repent of, and told me that I needed to forgive him, because otherwise I would have bitterness in my heart,” said Field, now a writer who blogs about her experience leaving the Christian fundamentalist movement. “I was trying to tell her that my boyfriend had raped me, and her reaction was to tell me that I needed to repent for my sins and not worry about my rapist’s sins.”

Sadly, Field’s story is neither surprising nor uncommon in the world of Christian fundamentalism, where sexual contact is strictly forbidden outside of marriage and total submission to religious authority figures is required of all believers. Even though the Catholic Church has been home to the most high-profile pedophilia scandals, Evangelical churches, schools, and missionary groups have proven to be similarly susceptible to sexual and physical abuse, and equally adept at shielding perpetrators from punishment.

http://www.vice.com/read/sexual-abuse-has-become-a-huge-problem-for-americas-bible-colleges
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 11:07:30 AM »

This is supposed to be surprising?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:10:34 AM »

Yes, this is definitely a problem that needs to be fixed. Sexual abuse mustn't be tolerated.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 11:42:48 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There are some real nutters in evangelical communities where sex and the body are taboo to an extreme, or else heavily regulated by God or something. So there's the frustration that comes from that anxiety and also that women and children in religious communities are among the most managed and least to be likely to challenge authority, so a combination of these factors makes this sort of behavior unsurprising.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 11:46:46 AM »

This is disgusting, but not surprising. Even socially conservative religions like my own see these Bible Colleges as being extreme and regressive. BYU, for as bad as it is, would not have tolerated this sexual abuse.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 01:15:40 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2014, 01:17:25 PM by King »

Unaccredited bible colleges should be illegal.  University of Phoenix has better ethics.

This is disgusting, but not surprising. Even socially conservative religions like my own see these Bible Colleges as being extreme and regressive. BYU, for as bad as it is, would not have tolerated this sexual abuse.

BYU actually has an interest in education.  These bible schools are Jesusfreak cash grabs whose only "good" intentions are to keep students ignorant on every subject.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 01:21:30 PM »

Unaccredited bible colleges should be illegal.  University of Phoenix has better ethics.

Fixed.

BYU actually has an interest in education.  These bible schools are Jesusfreak cash grabs whose only "good" intentions are to keep students ignorant on every subject.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 01:22:58 PM »

The answer is simple. We don't accept school discriminating according to race, we shouldn't accept those discriminating according to gender.

Either they accept mixity, either they are closed (with the owners sued, of course).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 02:06:20 PM »

Fixed.

I have no problem with a Christian school if it achieves some sort of accreditation on the education side.  BYU and Notre Dame are fine schools--great, actually.

And, yes, University of Phoenix is better than Champion Baptist College.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 02:16:12 PM »

Fixed.

I have no problem with a Christian school if it achieves some sort of accreditation on the education side.  BYU and Notre Dame are fine schools--great, actually.

Who said BYU and Notre Dame actually fit that criterium... They don't push the bible on all students 24/7, only on the students who want to hear it.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 02:30:24 PM »

The University of Phoenix has a 70K-plus size football stadium; I don't know if Champion Bible College even has an NAIA team.  Obviously UoP is the top tier of respected academic institutions by this most important of metrics.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 02:33:04 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2014, 02:35:55 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

Pensacola Christian College is a legitimate institution, which is the sad part.

The University of Phoenix has a 70K-plus size football stadium; I don't know if Champion Bible College even has an NAIA team.  Obviously UoP is the top tier of respected academic institutions by this most important of metrics.
Ugh, I am 90% that the University of Phoenix  is an online school. Your confusing it with a state college in Arizona, I think.

Or not. I could be wrong on this.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 02:41:18 PM »

The University of Phoenix has a 70K-plus size football stadium; I don't know if Champion Bible College even has an NAIA team.  Obviously UoP is the top tier of respected academic institutions by this most important of metrics.

University of Phoenix is the name sponsor of a 70-K plus football stadium, it doesn't have one.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 02:41:47 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2014, 02:44:37 PM by traininthedistance »

Ugh, I am 90% that the University of Phoenix  is an online school.

University of Phoenix is the name sponsor of a 70-K plus football stadium, it doesn't have one.

Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 03:01:21 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2014, 03:04:11 PM by HockeyDude »

Yes, this is definitely a problem that needs to be fixed. Sexual abuse mustn't be tolerated.

Yes, repressing these poor youngs to the point where they can't even use the same elevator is certainly an awful form of sexual abuse.  

Religion sucks at a lot of things.  But their treatment of the human body, specifically the female body, and sex is among the worst... maybe even bringing home the gold.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »

Unaccredited bible colleges should be illegal.

Basically.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 03:19:20 PM »

PCC is accredited, tho for many years it did shun accreditation.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »

When I went to church camp one summer in high school, for a week we weren't allowed to swim with the girls. There were separate swim times.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 04:01:58 PM »

In this thread: Christian bashing under the guise of a serious crime.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 04:07:29 PM »

Regular Christians are fine. Fundamentalist Christians who use their faith as an excuse to abuse and oppress are not.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 04:16:06 PM »

People cannot justify using the word "Christian" as a rationale for horrible behavior. Such either discredits Christianity or is not Christianity. 
Link
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 04:29:26 PM »

Yeah I'm not seeing any reliable evidence that "sexual abuse" takes place any more at these colleges than at any other college or university.  Does anyone have any good statistics from a reliable source (ie not vice.com)?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 05:46:34 PM »

People cannot justify using the word "Christian" as a rationale for horrible behavior. Such either discredits Christianity or is not Christianity. 
But they aren't.

Yeah I'm not seeing any reliable evidence that "sexual abuse" takes place any more at these colleges than at any other college or university.  Does anyone have any good statistics from a reliable source (ie not vice.com)?
Exactly. We shouldn't pretend that this only occurs at Christian colleges.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 06:39:39 PM »

About half of my store's employees are drawn from the Hyles - Anderson College that is run by the First Baptist Church of Hammond, Indiana, and they teach girls how to be the best Stepford wife by being obedient to their husbands and always wear skirts, and teach the guys the most sexist crap about women in turn.

You mean if I go to Hyles-Anderson College, I too can work a fabulous career in retail?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 07:21:07 PM »

But they aren't.

Exactly. We shouldn't pretend that this only occurs at Christian colleges.

The problem that is being pointed out is not that sexual abuse is more likely to happen at these places, but the culture there encourages a blame the victim mentality that is absolutely wrong and absolutely un-Christian.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies