Sexual abuse has become a huge problem for America's bible colleges
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:31:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sexual abuse has become a huge problem for America's bible colleges
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Sexual abuse has become a huge problem for America's bible colleges  (Read 5104 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 07:27:43 PM »

In this thread: Christian bashing under the guise of a serious crime.

People cannot justify using the word "Christian" as a rationale for horrible behavior. Such either discredits Christianity or is not Christianity. 
But they aren't.

Yeah I'm not seeing any reliable evidence that "sexual abuse" takes place any more at these colleges than at any other college or university.  Does anyone have any good statistics from a reliable source (ie not vice.com)?
Exactly. We shouldn't pretend that this only occurs at Christian colleges.

The problem that is being pointed out is not that sexual abuse is more likely to happen at these places, but the culture there encourages a blame the victim mentality that is absolutely wrong and absolutely un-Christian.
That is also a problem in the military. Is the military being bashed for religious reasons?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 07:56:17 PM »

People cannot justify using the word "Christian" as a rationale for horrible behavior. Such either discredits Christianity or is not Christianity. 
But they aren't.

Yeah I'm not seeing any reliable evidence that "sexual abuse" takes place any more at these colleges than at any other college or university.  Does anyone have any good statistics from a reliable source (ie not vice.com)?
Exactly. We shouldn't pretend that this only occurs at Christian colleges.

The problem that is being pointed out is not that sexual abuse is more likely to happen at these places, but the culture there encourages a blame the victim mentality that is absolutely wrong and absolutely un-Christian.
That is also a problem in the military. Is the military being bashed for religious reasons?

No, but the Army doesn't brag about its religion, nor is defined by religion.
Link
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »

Wait a minute fellas.  Do we have any hard statistics or are people going to just be judge jury and executioner based on a couple of salacious tales posted by dubious sources on the internet?  I guarantee you I can find plenty of secular schools that fail to investigate or cover up sexual wrong doing to protect a football/basketball player, the schools reputation, a powerful alum, and/or avoid legal action.

If this is really some new kind of epidemic amongst Christian schools it is a problem.  But before we go condemning every Christian college can we at least get a source better than "vice.com"?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 09:42:05 PM »

Fun fact:  Pensacola Community College is the alma mater of Cathy McMorris Rodgers.

That's right, this diploma mill produced one of the most powerful members of the House.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 09:53:58 PM »

Unaccredited bible colleges should be illegal.

The answer is simple. We don't accept school discriminating according to race, we shouldn't accept those discriminating according to gender.

Either they accept mixity, either they are closed (with the owners sued, of course).

We will force you to be free.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 11:28:08 PM »

Why is sexual abuse in quotes? 
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 11:32:43 PM »

It's Link, Atlas's own personal redpiller.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 11:39:49 PM »

About half of my store's employees are drawn from the Hyles - Anderson College that is run by the First Baptist Church of Hammond, Indiana, and they teach girls how to be the best Stepford wife by being obedient to their husbands and always wear skirts, and teach the guys the most sexist crap about women in turn.

You mean if I go to Hyles-Anderson College, I too can work a fabulous career in retail?

That's one of the 'fabulous' careers that a degree from an unaccredited college prepares one for. So does just having a high-school diploma.

It is not to be confused with Anderson University, an accredited school affiliated with the Church of God, in Anderson, Indiana.   
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 11:44:39 PM »

Any Link post should be read with the understanding he once posted an image promoting domestic violence as a positive thing.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2014, 12:14:52 AM »

Because sexual abuse doesn't exist, it's just men being men.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2014, 06:30:01 AM »

When I went to church camp one summer in high school, for a week we weren't allowed to swim with the girls. There were separate swim times.
When I went to church camp we played a game where all the boys in our group grabbed onto each other and all the girls had to pull us apart.  The first and last team apart won points towards best cabin or whatever.  Our cabins were separated by a large pond, but there was plenty of time for fraternization.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2014, 08:29:38 AM »

PCC is accredited, tho for many years it did shun accreditation.

Well then we need much more stringent criteria for accreditation.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2014, 08:30:19 AM »

The answer is simple. We don't accept school discriminating according to race, we shouldn't accept those discriminating according to gender.

Either they accept mixity, either they are closed (with the owners sued, of course).

Yes.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2014, 08:43:46 AM »

Any Link post should be read with the understanding he once posted an image promoting domestic violence as a positive thing.

Link has displayed elements of sexism, homophobia, and xenophobia throughout his posting history.
Link
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2014, 08:49:40 AM »

Because according to this source this woman alleges she was raped.  Rape is rape.  I don't use euphemism when I talk about rape.  I've known girls that have been raped and I just have a personal problem sticking that under a general umbrella of "sexual abuse."
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2014, 09:22:00 AM »

Yes we damn well will. You will be comfortable in your own skin, love yourself for who you are, and be yourself and if you don't I will unleash a fiery wrath upon you that will make you wish you were never born [this way].
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2014, 11:51:10 AM »

I agree that accreditation needs to be tougher, and that's not only to weed out these places that are more about brainwashing than education - it's also that a lot of them offer degrees and programs that are borderline scams. Like, you can get a degree in "church counseling" and things like that. Assuming it's legit that should probably be just a certificate, not a degree. These bible colleges also tend to let in virtually anyone academically speaking, from what I have heard. We'd be better off without them.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2014, 06:18:31 PM »

They've only been accredited for a few months.  I think that's important to note.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »

They've only been accredited for a few months.  I think that's important to note.

True, but you don't get accreditation overnight.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2014, 08:19:22 PM »

I should add that several students from my school go to PCC, and a PCC recruiter even visited our school and sat at my table for lunch. It’s a legitimate school, and while this is a problem of course, the attitude towards the school is disgusting as the crimes committed. This happens at UF, FAU, as well as the military itself. Yet, it seems to only be noticed when we, the unenlightened backward Christians bigots, are somehow involved.

Yes.
Glad to see you support the logic behind the Iraq War.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2014, 08:36:18 PM »

The truth is that fundamentalist Christianity supports an unhealthy image of the body and of rape. They view the body as taboo and thus encourage rape and victim blaming. Colleges like this are essentially only there becuase their backwards owners never leared the lesson from Deliverance.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2014, 08:44:19 PM »

The truth is that fundamentalist Christianity supports an unhealthy image of the body and of rape. They view the body as taboo and thus encourage rape and victim blaming. Colleges like this are essentially only there becuase their backwards owners never leared the lesson from Deliverance.
....what?

The body is celebrated in Christianity; most normal Christians (and PCC is, by my standards, not a fundamentalist college) celebrate human sexuality as something pure, designed by God (for people of all sexual orientations, by the way) for married couples that want to physically express their love and bring pleasure to one another, or to procreate. The Bible doesn’t say “your penis will shrivel up and a bird will lay eggs in your stomach” if you commit a sexual sin. It is forgiven, like all other sins, if you seek forgiveness.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2014, 08:47:19 PM »

....what?

The body is celebrated in Christianity; most normal Christians (and PCC is, by my standards, not a fundamentalist college) celebrate human sexuality as something pure, designed by God (for people of all sexual orientations, by the way) for married couples that want to physically express their love and bring pleasure to one another, or to procreate. The Bible doesn’t say “your penis will shrivel up and a bird will lay eggs in your stomach” if you commit a sexual sin. It is forgiven, like all other sins, if you seek forgiveness.

Once you tresspass boundries, most fundamentalists think that you are forever sinned. Even married couples aren't allowed leniency. It is a savage religion that punishes pleasure.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2014, 08:48:57 PM »

....what?

Once you tresspass boundries, most fundamentalists think that you are forever sinned. Even married couples aren't allowed leniency. It is a savage religion that punishes pleasure.
Christian fundies=PCC/regular Christians?
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2014, 08:56:49 PM »

....what?

Christian fundies=PCC/regular Christians?
Of course not; saying that would be ridiculous.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies