Opinion of The Big Bang Theory
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:22:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of The Big Bang Theory
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: What is your Opinon of The Big Bang Theory (TV Show)
FTV

HTV

No Opinion

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Opinion of The Big Bang Theory  (Read 5749 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »

Mostly it just makes me cringe. Of course (as with any Chuck Lorre show) the laughter is turned up far too high, and the result is cloying and would make the show nigh unwatchable regardless of its actual content.

It's the show people watch to try and be "cool" or not fit in with the "mainstream idiots who watch the not funny BBT". So bascially a crappy, not funny hipster show.

"hipster" = "thing I don't like"
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 08:54:34 PM »

I laugh a whole lot more when I watch Community than when I watch The Big Bang Theory.  I didn't realize that made me cool/a hipster.  I don't even understand why one can't be a fan of both (I'm sure lots of people are...)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 10:41:29 PM »

I'm seriously considering adding to my ignore list.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 10:46:23 PM »

I enjoy it.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 11:16:19 PM »

A nerd minstrel show, does have it's moments though.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 11:37:17 PM »

Not my cup of tea. Makes me cringe too; "Mom" is the only Chuck Lorre show I actually like.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 11:49:01 PM »

TBBT is basically Starbucks. It's what the usual suspects will instantly bash to prove their imaginary superiority over everyone else.

"LAF TRAX R TERRIBLE, EXSEPT IN SINEFLED, CUZ THEN ITS OKAY"
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 11:52:12 PM »

Not liking a show doesn't mean you believe in superiority due to that.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 11:59:19 PM »

Yeah its, put simply, a terrible show. I don't watch any shows on the major networks though. I never really considered myself a tv snob but I guess I am. I like HBO shows and documentaries, etc, more than the modern sitcoms which seem dumbed down to me and contain lots of filler scenes. I'm not the type to dislike pop culture for the sake of not being "mainstream".
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2014, 12:04:07 AM »

Yeah its, put simply, a terrible show. I don't watch any shows on the major networks though. I never really considered myself a tv snob but I guess I am. I like HBO shows and documentaries, etc, more than the modern sitcoms which seem dumbed down to me and contain lots of filler scenes. I'm not the type to dislike pop culture for the sake of not being "mainstream".

The best network drama, especially this year, is The Good Wife and it is well worth watching imo. What they are doing this season is nothing short of amazing, especially considering the confines put on network programming these days.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2014, 12:09:42 AM »

The best network drama, especially this year, is The Good Wife and it is well worth watching imo. What they are doing this season is nothing short of amazing, especially considering the confines put on network programming these days.

Now that is a great show.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2014, 12:21:25 AM »

I will check it out, I have heard some good things about the show.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2014, 12:52:27 AM »

I want to start watching The Good Wife, but I don't really see myself ever having time to watch 100 45 minute episodes to get caught up. Sad I've heard it's very good though.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2014, 03:44:39 AM »

HTV

Big Bang Theory is basically like a middle school bully's caricature of people who find science/math interesting.  I imagine it also appeals somewhat to the deep resentment of academia and intellectualism in certain conservative circles (several studies have shown self-described conservatives are significantly more likely to be fans of the show than self-described liberals).  I'd suspect it lets them feel superior in much the way I've seen some liberals regularly watch Fox News and smugly congratulate themselves for seeing through such obvious propaganda before flipping back to MSNBC.  The show is basically nerdface, completely relies on a de facto laugh track (like pretty much all of Chuck Lorre's shows), and the characters are pretty awful.  The Indian and the Jewish guy are one-note sexist losers who have literally no arc beyond "one/both says something objectifying women, tries to hump anything in sight, fails in a manner that emphasizes how pathetic he/they are."  Penny is a rather shallow and the writing for her character is too inconsistent for her to have much of an arc.  I'll admit Leonard didn't seem as horrible as the others in the episodes I've seen, but he's still pretty much "insert generic sitcom straight-man here."  Sheldon's character is something of a one-trick pony and from what people I know who still watch the show have said, it sounds like he becomes a worse and worse human being as the show progresses.  Granted, in the first season he was already pretty much a caricature who seemed like something you'd find in a post-college version of Dexter's Lab.  So yeah, horrible show.

Funny thing is this whole post is pretty much exactly the opposite to how most geeks/nerds actually see the show. Plus it shows you only watched like an episode to see the character development in all the characters and how they are all growing form each other.
Actually, he more or less nailed the show perfectly.  Raj and Wolowitz ARE sexist assholes.  Kelly Kuco's (sp?) character is poorly developed.  Sheldon is a horrible person (actually, they are all horrible people).  I'm by most definitions a nerd (though I'm far from a pure one) and I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode of BBT.  There are good jokes on the show from time to time (seems to be less every year), but there has to be to hit the lowest common denominator consistently.

It's the show people watch to try and be "cool" or not fit in with the "mainstream idiots who watch the not funny BBT". So basically a crappy, not funny hipster show.
Since I'm basically the polar opposite of a hipster and love Community your theory is garbage.  Every popular show has people watch it only to be "cool" with their friends.  GoT, Sopranos, Mad Men, MASH, BBT and Community.  I bet more people watch BBT for that reason than Community.  So I'm sure there are a few people that watch it for that reason, but mostly people watch it because it's funny, the characters, while flawed, are still likable and real (even if the situations aren't always).  The jokes come in all flavors, sizes and colors.  Clearly not a show trying to hit every demographic, it may not hit yours and that's ok.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2014, 06:01:53 AM »

TBBT is basically Starbucks. It's what the usual suspects will instantly bash to prove their imaginary superiority over everyone else.

"LAF TRAX R TERRIBLE, EXSEPT IN SINEFLED, CUZ THEN ITS OKAY"

Laugh tracks used to be standard, but these days they indicate quality. Seinfeld is great in spite of it, I'd say.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2014, 10:07:57 AM »

The comparison to Community really isn't a useful one, anyway, since they're not the same kind of show in the broadest sense. Community is a workplace sitcom, although later seasons have blurred somewhat, whereas The Big Bang Theory is decidedly not. A better comparison would be New Girl or Happy Endings. If you really squint I guess you can say that Jim Parsons and Danny Pudi play similar characters, but the only meaningful similarity between the two shows is that they air on Thursday at 8:00.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2014, 10:40:22 AM »

Can we all agree that TBBT and Community are just okay at best and that South Park is one of the best shows on TV along with Vikings.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2014, 10:41:53 AM »

How does it have an 8.7 rating on IMDB Huh
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2014, 10:50:18 AM »

IMDB thinks that The Dark Knight is a significantly better film than Apocalypse Now is how.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2014, 10:52:27 AM »

I'm with Gustaf on this one. I saw a few episodes and it's okay, but not great. I don't watch enough TV to compare it with any other show such as Community, however. In terms of pure wit it certainly falls short of South Park.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2014, 11:02:29 AM »

Can we all agree that TBBT and Community are just okay at best and that South Park is one of the best shows on TV along with Vikings.

NO. South Park is an absolute travesty.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2014, 02:42:54 PM »

IMDB thinks that The Dark Knight is a significantly better film than Apocalypse Now is how.

Honestly, I'd argue The Dark Knight is a far better movie than Apocalypse Now (though both are really good).
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2014, 03:03:51 PM »

I watched it once.

Reminded me of why I don't usually watch TV.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »

Honestly, I'd argue The Dark Knight is a far better movie than Apocalypse Now (though both are really good).

what
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »

Worst post of the year.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies