SENATE BILL: Reforming Atlasian Public Health Act of 2014 (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:57:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Reforming Atlasian Public Health Act of 2014 (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Reforming Atlasian Public Health Act of 2014 (Debating)  (Read 4741 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2014, 12:22:19 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So, then we have a loophole in the law? Aren't we saving any money at all?

I'm not sure whether I'm missing something, but it seems as if we are paying health care providers less and telling them that they can't bill patients for the difference. At this point I wonder whether we have any hospitals that haven't declared bankruptcy.

It would go through the insurance.

I don't understand why most people (and employers) would bother carrying insurance after the 2009 law was enacted, which guaranteed a "universal, best" standard of care covering "all medically necessary" services to "all individuals residing in Atlasia," available at any health care provider (public or private), free of charge.

Because we eliminated that.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2014, 12:27:06 PM »

I'm not sure whether I'm missing something, but it seems as if we are paying health care providers less and telling them that they can't bill patients for the difference. At this point I wonder whether we have any hospitals that haven't declared bankruptcy.

I don't understand why most people (and employers) would bother carrying insurance after the 2009 law was enacted, which guaranteed a "universal, best" standard of care covering "all medically necessary" services to "all individuals residing in Atlasia," available at any health care provider (public or private), free of charge.

Averroes has a point over here. We should end this loophole as soon as possible!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 03:46:29 PM »

Reiterating my previously mentioned motion to table this anti-labor, anti-public health, unconstitutional piece of trash.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 03:47:43 PM »

Averroes has a point over here. We should end this loophole as soon as possible!

There is no loophole and what Nix mentioned is no longer part of the law.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 03:56:56 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Not all clinics are accepting ANHC, presumably.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2014, 04:01:23 PM »

Ill get back to you on that, you may be on to something.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 06:55:13 PM »

I don't understand the healthcare system enough to be of much help here. Good luck with this bill. Tongue
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 08:59:04 PM »

I don't understand the healthcare system enough to be of much help here. Good luck with this bill. Tongue

LOL, what happens if we discover that we've been bankrupting clinics since the reform?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 09:23:27 PM »

LOL, what happens if we discover that we've been bankrupting clinics since the reform?

Well, my point was, I know a lot about taxes and economics in general, but healthcare isn't my strong suit. I am at the mercy of the senate with this one. Even if we are losing some hospitals to bankruptcy, I wouldn't know how to fix it. Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2014, 09:25:53 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2014, 09:32:44 PM by Napoleon »

At this point it would be a miracle if any of our hospitals haven't gone bankrupt.

Never heard about mass hospital bankrupticies during your time as GM or anyone else for that matter. I'd have to guess that isn't the case. The letter of the law can often contradict the enforcement of the law, as we all know.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 07:48:02 PM »

There are a few major problems I see with the current pay structure. The main one is that there are some very steep drop-offs for benefits, such that we can imagine, for instance, there are many people asking their employers to not give them a raise or not taking that higher-paying job for fear they will get stuck with a larger health care cost that will more than make up the difference.  This problem gets worse the more individuals there are being covered under a single income.
I'm not sure the best way to fix it, but it will probably require a major change.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 08:58:04 PM »

There are a few major problems I see with the current pay structure. The main one is that there are some very steep drop-offs for benefits, such that we can imagine, for instance, there are many people asking their employers to not give them a raise or not taking that higher-paying job for fear they will get stuck with a larger health care cost that will more than make up the difference.  This problem gets worse the more individuals there are being covered under a single income.
I'm not sure the best way to fix it, but it will probably require a major change.

We can make it look like other types of taxation, putting brackets on it and making it similar to the Income Tax. From x to y you pay z%; after y to m you pay r%...
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 09:08:10 PM »

We can make it look like other types of taxation, putting brackets on it and making it similar to the Income Tax. From x to y you pay z%; after y to m you pay r%...

I'm not sure how to put that into practice though in the structure we now have.  Instead of a percentage of a person's income, what is being paid is a percentage of the price of a person's healthcare, which is going to vary quite a lot from one person to another at the same income level, and isn't a predictable amount either.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 11:14:21 PM »

Alright, there's a ton of stuff going on, and there's a lot of stuff I might agree with in principle if I knew what exactly what you were referencing. Could we just go around the table and list our concerns with the current system and with the current bill in a clear, concise manner?

I ask this because we should create a healthcare "repository" of sorts, a thread with a high quantity of answers/post, so if everyone could cooperate in that matter, it could make everyone's lives easier, and make this specific thread worthy of keeping on "speed dial", per se.

And, seriously, having not been a part of the previous healthcare debate, this is all an extremely new experience for me, so I personally need all the help I can get.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2014, 01:43:31 AM »

I will include this small note about the CHPs.

I recall their being some limit on the Fed's ability to dictate to them, from the Mental Health debate last year, but I cannot recall what exactly. I do know the Regions aren't running them as Nappy seemed to indicate on page 1.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2014, 01:47:33 AM »

As I recall the intent behind six was to ensure that patients weren't getting billed for services covered by Fritzcare and thereby essentially a double billing scheme of sorts. Though that doesn't do much in the way of preventing untintended effects of the wording.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2014, 02:12:44 AM »
« Edited: March 19, 2014, 02:46:15 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Sponsor Feedback: Hostile
Status: A vote may be opened on this amendment at any time after noon.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2014, 10:16:01 AM »

I will make sure that no anti-union nonsense makes it through this Senate. Of that, you can be guaranteed.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2014, 01:08:18 PM »

I'm not inclined to support any ban on unions in healthcare either.  As for the other stuff, HSAs and High-Risk Pools seem like they may be a good idea, but I'm thinking there's just got to be a more straightforward way to do it. People in this bill are losing benefits in one place and gaining them in another, and if I can't figure out what's going on with that I can't expect the patient affected by it to figure it out either.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2014, 04:14:54 PM »

It's not even constitutional to ban unions in healthcare, so there's no reason to even argue about it. Tongue

I am not sure what the best way to go is when it comes to reforming healthcare. Single payer may be an option, but it comes with its issues.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2014, 10:06:24 AM »

It's not even constitutional to ban unions in healthcare, so there's no reason to even argue about it. Tongue

I am not sure what the best way to go is when it comes to reforming healthcare. Single payer may be an option, but it comes with its issues.

Like what? Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2014, 10:46:39 AM »

Like what? Tongue

Increased bureaucracy, physicians essentially become government employees, wait times, etc. I mean, if we weren't even aware of the fact our current system was bankrupting hospitals... Tongue

But it may be the best solution out of all of them. I tend to favor it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2014, 01:24:22 AM »

I didn't vote for Fritzcare, I highly doubt I would vote for Single Payer. Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2014, 11:53:24 AM »

I didn't vote for Fritzcare, I highly doubt I would vote for Single Payer. Tongue

Yeah, it's not so much about whether you supported or opposed Fritzcare. It's more about where we are now and how realistic it would be to roll back Fritzcare or how difficult it would be to reform it.

The only thing I don't necessarily like about single payer is that we'd essentially have to take over all private hospitals, and private hospitals are an engine for innovation and scientific breakthroughs. I'd hate to lose that aspect of our healthcare system.

No doubt, something should be done about our current system. I will research some of this on my own and see what I can find.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies