If you were head of the DCCC, what would you advise for this election? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:26:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If you were head of the DCCC, what would you advise for this election? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you were head of the DCCC, what would you advise for this election?  (Read 1171 times)
retromike22
United States

« on: March 12, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »

My advice:

First, the recent election result in Florida (Jolly vs. Sink) actually didn't surprise me. In a non-presidential year, Democrats simply turn out less than in a presidential year. In this race, and also in 2010, the GOP was able to capitalize on the negative feelings on Obamacare. And Democrats response has usually been: "Oh some parts are good and some parts are bad, so let's try to fix it." Now the American people are roughly evenly divided on Obamacare, but when people are upset about a policy, I feel that they are more likely (and have more of a desire) to vote than people who are simply accepting of a policy.

So the Democratic strategy of boasting about Obamacare's benefits, or trying to accommodate frustration with a (leave the good, fix the bad) campaign will not work because the feelings of being upset are greater on the opposite side.

The only way the current Democratic strategy would work would be if people were upset about not having health care, and the opposition was simply accepting of that policy. (Like in 2006 and 2008)

So in my opinion, the Democrats need to shift the main narrative to something else. Something that most Americans are upset about and something that almost all Democrats can support.

The best option?
Increasing the minimum wage. It's popular, easy to understand, and it motivates people.

From last November:

From last March, showing that 68% of independents, 75% of moderates, 54% of conservatives, and 50% of Republicans support raising the Federal minimum rage to $9 an hour.

In select areas immigration reform and gun control reform may also be effective, but likely not as a nationwide strategy.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 03:08:23 PM »

Any other ideas?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies