Movie Presidents survey: Are these guys Democrat or Republican
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:07:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Movie Presidents survey: Are these guys Democrat or Republican
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Movie Presidents survey: Are these guys Democrat or Republican  (Read 11479 times)
DanimalBr

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2005, 04:54:47 PM »

Okay, let's look at some recent movies where there was an actor playing the president.   While in movies like The American President and My Fellow Americans it is revealed which political party the president is with, in most movies the party of the president is never revealed.  And for obvious reasons.  After all if it was revealed that Harrison Ford was either a Democrat or Republican in Air Force One, I imagine it would kind of tick off the other side. 

But just for fun, let's look at a few movie presidents and try to guess if they're Democrat or Republican.  If you haven't seen the movie, just say so.  But here are a list of 10 rather popular movies in the last 10-15 years in which there was a major roll for the US President in that movie.

So take a guess at these fictional presidents, are each of them Democrat or Republican?

1.  President Thomas Whitmore (Independence Day)-  played by Bill Pullman

2.  President James Marshall  (Air Force One)-  played by Harrison Ford

3.  President Tom Beck (Deep Impact)- played by Morgan Freeman

4.  President Bensen (Hot Shots part deux)-  played by Lloyd Bridges

5.  President James Dale (Mars Attacks)- played by Jack Nicholson

6.  President Paul Hollister (10.5)-  played by Beau Bridges

7.  President Bennett (Clear and Present Danger) played by Donald Moffatt

8.  No name given to President (Escape from LA)  played by Cliff Robertson

**9.  President Bill Mitchell (Dave)  played by Kevin Kline

##10.  President/Vice President Becker (The Day after Tommorow) played by Kennelth Welsh

** In Dave, the guy who really is the president has a stroke at the begining of the movie while having sex with his secretary, an impersonator comes in and pretends to be the president for the rest of the movie.

##  In The Day after tommorow the President (played by Perry King) has a very small role in this movie and dies about 2/3 of the way through the movie.  The politician with the big role is the Vice President who becomes President by the end of the movie.

DanimalBr

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 05:48:39 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2005, 05:51:30 PM by DanimalBr »

I've seen them all so here are my guesses based on what little information I have to go by on these presidents.

1.  Independence Day - NO CLUE.  The movie gave absolutley no policys or anything on his background to go by other than he was a pilot and a veteran of the gulf war who the press gave him a hard time because they thoght he was too young to be president.  But if i had to go either way I'd go Republican just because he seemed to have national defense as a big priority.   But when the whole movie is about aliens invading it's hard not to.

2.  Air Force One-  Definently Republican due to his strong stanse on standing up against terrorism and his willingness to go after terrorists in a foriegn country even when he faces major objections at home.

3.   Deep Impact-   Probably Democrat.  Cause he is black.

4.  Hot Shots part Deux-  My bess guess is  Republican because he does have a personal fued with Saddam Hussein

5.  Mars Attacks-  It's been a while since I've seen this movie.  I really don't know.  I'll say Democrat

6.  10.5-  I'll say Democrat.  With earthquakes devistating the west coast, he puts off meetings with foriegn leaders to focus on these environmental problems.

7.   Clear and Present Danger-   He's cold and corrupt.   My personal oppinion would be Democrat.  But that is my political biasness talking.

8.  Escape from LA-  It's been a while since I've seen that movie too.  My guess would be Republican, but that's purely a guess.

9.  Dave-  The impersonator was definenltly a Democrat.   The actual president himself, I'd be inclined to say Democrat because having affairs has been more habits of Democrat presidents traditionally.

10.  The day after tommorow-  Republican, and I do agree that he was modeled to be after Cheney. 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 01:46:46 PM »

1.  Independence Day - NO CLUE.  The movie gave absolutley no policys or anything on his background to go by other than he was a pilot and a veteran of the gulf war who the press gave him a hard time because they thoght he was too young to be president.  But if i had to go either way I'd go Republican just because he seemed to have national defense as a big priority.   But when the whole movie is about aliens invading it's hard not to.

That's not true:

An Orange County newspaper rated him the "sexiest man alive" (when he was informed by Goldblum's wife after he woke up). Since OC is heavily Republican, that's the 1st indicator.

Another indicator is when Will Smith's wife talks with the First Lady and says: "I actually voted for the other guy". She's a black stripper and since 95% of Blacks vote for the Democrat for President, another indicator that Whitmore is a Republican.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 02:41:50 PM »

That's not true:

An Orange County newspaper rated him the "sexiest man alive" (when he was informed by Goldblum's wife after he woke up). Since OC is heavily Republican, that's the 1st indicator.

Another indicator is when Will Smith's wife talks with the First Lady and says: "I actually voted for the other guy". She's a black stripper and since 95% of Blacks vote for the Democrat for President, another indicator that Whitmore is a Republican.

Great detective work Tender!
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 02:51:49 PM »

The guy from The Day After Tomorrow is clearly a Republican, since he's obviously Dick Cheney. The others that I know of could go either way.
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 02:52:29 PM »

I can answer for almost everyone.

Left-wingers: "Good presidents were Democrat and villain presidents were Republican."

Right-wingers: "They're Hollywood Presidents. Of course the good ones are all Democrats and of course the Republican presidents were villains."

I'm a right-winger, in case you're wondering.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 02:53:50 PM »

That's not true:

I see.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 03:01:41 PM »

Okay, let's look at some recent movies where there was an actor playing the president.   While in movies like The American President and My Fellow Americans it is revealed which political party the president is with, in most movies the party of the president is never revealed.  And for obvious reasons.  After all if it was revealed that Harrison Ford was either a Democrat or Republican in Air Force One, I imagine it would kind of tick off the other side. 

But just for fun, let's look at a few movie presidents and try to guess if they're Democrat or Republican.  If you haven't seen the movie, just say so.  But here are a list of 10 rather popular movies in the last 10-15 years in which there was a major roll for the US President in that movie.

So take a guess at these fictional presidents, are each of them Democrat or Republican?

1.  President Thomas Whitmore (Independence Day)-  played by Bill Pullman

2.  President James Marshall  (Air Force One)-  played by Harrison Ford

3.  President Tom Beck (Deep Impact)- played by Morgan Freeman

4.  President Bensen (Hot Shots part deux)-  played by Lloyd Bridges

5.  President James Dale (Mars Attacks)- played by Jack Nicholson

6.  President Paul Hollister (10.5)-  played by Beau Bridges

7.  President Bennett (Clear and Present Danger) played by Donald Moffatt

8.  No name given to President (Escape from LA)  played by Cliff Robertson

**9.  President Bill Mitchell (Dave)  played by Kevin Kline

##10.  President/Vice President Becker (The Day after Tommorow) played by Kennelth Welsh

** In Dave, the guy who really is the president has a stroke at the begining of the movie while having sex with his secretary, an impersonator comes in and pretends to be the president for the rest of the movie.

##  In The Day after tommorow the President (played by Perry King) has a very small role in this movie and dies about 2/3 of the way through the movie.  The politician with the big role is the Vice President who becomes President by the end of the movie.

My thoughts:

1. Republican
2. Republican, though this one's tougher.
3. Democrat
4. Never saw it
5. Democrat, pseudo-Clinton
6. Never saw it
7. Republican (pseudo-Bush41?)
8. No idea.
9. Democrat, obviously
10. Republican
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 05:39:05 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2015, 05:40:50 PM by shua »

I've heard that in Clear and Present Danger, the President is based on Ronald Reagan (he even has jelly beans on his desk in the movie) and Harrison Ford's character is based on Oliver North.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 08:09:03 PM »

President Thomas Whitmore (Independence Day): Republican, unfortunately Sad

President James Marshall  (Air Force One): Republican, unfortunately Sad His speech at the beginning gives it away.

President Tom Beck (Deep Impact): Democrat

President Bensen (Hot Shots part deux): Never seen it

President James Dale (Mars Attacks): Democrat

President Paul Hollister (10.5): Never seen it

President Bennett (Clear and Present Danger): Never seen it

No name given to President (Escape from LA): Never seen it

President Bill Mitchell (Dave): Democrat, a pretty obvious analogue for Bill Clinton

President/Vice President Becker (The Day after Tommorow): Republican, VP is clearly an analogue for Cheney
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 08:18:03 PM »

This thread is from a decade ago.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 09:08:45 PM »

That's not true:

Yes... but at that time it was more 85-90% plus she was a military wife...

And also... interesting insights Tender.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 09:12:02 PM »

I kind of disagree that Bill Mitchell in Dave is a Democrat. It was written in 1991/92 well before Clinton's ascendancy ... plus the tone suggests to me in the early stages much more GHW Bush like.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 08:59:48 PM »

9.  Dave-  The impersonator was definenltly a Democrat.   The actual president himself, I'd be inclined to say Democrat because having affairs has been more habits of Democrat presidents traditionally.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 11:47:42 AM »

>people haven't seen Mars Attacks

what a dystopic future this is
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 03:48:05 PM »

>people haven't seen Mars Attacks

what a dystopic future this is

If only we were actually blessed with a President Jack Nicholson in real life.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies