IL-Gov: Candidate raising no money may do well against Quinn
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:41:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Gov: Candidate raising no money may do well against Quinn
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IL-Gov: Candidate raising no money may do well against Quinn  (Read 927 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2014, 12:15:14 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.illinoisobserver.net/2014/03/13/poll-gov-pat-quinn-opponent-drawing-big-protest-vote/

This is very bad news for the Governor.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 12:41:28 PM »

With a no name candidate doing so well in the primary, it's really strange Quinn didn't get a legitimate challenger. Same with Corbett in PA.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 02:23:49 PM »

Corrupt Blago in 2006 didn't get one either. When it comes to incumbant Dem govs, as Hynes found out, the opposition will get no where because of the incumbant has advantages is Cook County.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 02:45:05 PM »

If the GOP blows this race the Illinois GOP might as well disband.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 03:01:59 PM »

Dillard was far more electable than Rauner, and even Edgar endorsed him. Now, they are going into general with the weaker candidate.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 03:14:25 PM »

Given the lack of unity in this primary race some might question whether they are banded to begin with. Wink
Joshgreen
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 03:59:06 PM »

0% undecided? Junk poll!
hopper
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 01:23:24 PM »

The GOP is pretty much competitive everywhere else in the state but Cook County.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 06:33:03 PM »

I have this feeling after every slam dunk election the Illinois GOP winds up losing, but they've never come to this reasonable conclusion.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 08:32:33 PM »

The GOP is pretty much competitive everywhere else in the state but Cook County.

Which as the 2010 govs race map shows, is damn near all the Dems need.

Any ideas if this no name might carry some counties from Quinn in the primary? If so, which ones?
Joshgreen
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 08:35:09 PM »

Any ideas if this no name might carry some counties from Quinn in the primary? If so, which ones?

I would honestly be surprised if Quinn does as poorly as the poll suggests... Hard partisans will be voting and partisan Ds in Illinois aren't going to be voting for a no-name against the sitting Governor.
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 08:35:44 PM »

Probably a few in the Demosaur areas in Little Egypt if anything.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »

Dillard was the electable one. He would of carried Dupage. Now they are going with a businessman, instead of an elected official.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 08:32:46 AM »

Given the lack of unity in this primary race some might question whether they are banded to begin with. Wink

I see room for a certain dark horse!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 08:45:01 AM »

Dillard was the electable one. He would of carried Dupage. Now they are going with a businessman, instead of an elected official.

Because well to do suburbia hates them some businessmen very much. Tongue Any Republican should carry DuPage against Quinn. If Brady could carry it in 2010, then any non-Brady Republican should.

That said, I agree, Dillard was better. The game is getting to 64% in DuPage and to 59% in Lake as well as doing reasonably well in the suburbs within Cook.
hopper
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 02:56:16 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2014, 02:57:58 PM by hopper »

Yeah but I wasn't necessarily reffering to the Governor Race in my post. The post I was replying to said the State GOP should disband if they lose the governors race this year. I just don't think the GOP is that irrevelant in Illinois politics(at least not yet.) The Illinois GOP is not like the New York GOP or the California GOP state parties.

The politics in Illinois kind of reminds me of politics in my state.
hopper
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 03:03:41 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2014, 03:07:47 PM by hopper »

Because well to do suburbia hates them some businessmen very much. Tongue Any Republican should carry DuPage against Quinn. If Brady could carry it in 2010, then any non-Brady Republican should.

That said, I agree, Dillard was better. The game is getting to 64% in DuPage and to 59% in Lake as well as doing reasonably well in the suburbs within Cook.

Yeah to expand on  that I was wondering where in Cook County the population has grown the most in 2011-2012/2013. If its Southern Chicago the GOP is not in that bad of shape. Lipinski's district is only D+5 in Southern Chicago. Than again if its Northern Chicago where the population has grown most the GOP is in deep trouble. I think Northern Chicago is where the city is most liberal. Lipinksi's district as well as Mike Quigley's they are not as Dem as you would expect for Congressional Districts based in a city. Danny Davis's, Robin Kelly's, and Bobby Rush's districts are the most Dem in Chicago.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 05:03:08 PM »

Cook county's population is about half Chicago and half suburban townships. Growth since 2010 is only about 0.35%/year according to census estimates and is fairly evenly divided between city and townships, and no township stands out for high growth since it's all mostly built up. Thus, the 2010 precinct results are a fairly good place to start a forecast for 2014.

The Cook County Clerk put out a detailed report after the 2010 general election, and the maps of precinct results show the relative party strengths in the county. Here are the maps from both the Gov's race as well as Kirk's win for US Senate. The comparison between the two gives a sense of the difference between a narrow loss and narrow win for the Pub in a statewide race.

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 11:48:44 AM »

Yeah to expand on  that I was wondering where in Cook County the population has grown the most in 2011-2012/2013. If its Southern Chicago the GOP is not in that bad of shape. Lipinski's district is only D+5 in Southern Chicago. Than again if its Northern Chicago where the population has grown most the GOP is in deep trouble. I think Northern Chicago is where the city is most liberal. Lipinksi's district as well as Mike Quigley's they are not as Dem as you would expect for Congressional Districts based in a city. Danny Davis's, Robin Kelly's, and Bobby Rush's districts are the most Dem in Chicago.

I would argue that the northern half of the city is more liberal whereas the southern half of the city is more Democrat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies