When will Republicans stop obsessing over Reagan?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:14:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  When will Republicans stop obsessing over Reagan?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: When?
2020s

2030s

2040s

2050s

Never

When they get another president they aren't embarrassed to admit was a Republican

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: When will Republicans stop obsessing over Reagan?  (Read 1363 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2014, 01:32:29 PM »

Seriously, can you go to a single prospective GOP presidential candidate's speech without them name dropping Reagan? Probably multiple times as well. The guy hasn't been in office for 25 years and has been dead for 10 years. When will the GOP finally move on?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 01:36:52 PM »

When they have a GOP president that isn't consider a failure historically. 
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 01:47:23 PM »

I'll echo in lighter terms what Yank said. Parties tend to place a good amount of reliance on their last "big" president. For the Democrats, Jackson gave way (down the road) to FDR who gave way to Kennedy. Bill Clinton, while popular, hasn't had the same amount of gravitas in that respect, though that may have to do with him still being alive and probably has to do with his reputation as a moderate. For the Republicans, Lincoln gave way to other popular Republican presidents like Grant, McKinley, Roosevelt, and so on. During the '60's, all we had as a living icon was Eisenhower, who tried a little and in vain to secure his legacy with the party, though Goldwater was able to successfully take that from him and his crew. After Eisenhower, the only Republican president that carries that weight is Reagan. Good economy, two (electoral) landslide victories, had a Republican successor which implies success in his own right, served at a pivotal time in world history, and so on. Had Bush somehow been able to turn the War on Terror into something successful combined with the right amount of PR, a good domestic policy, and larger victories, maybe he'd get something like that, though that's questionable.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 01:55:29 PM »

Bill Clinton, while popular, hasn't had the same amount of gravitas in that respect, though that may have to do with him still being alive and probably has to do with his reputation as a moderate.

The hate reigned down on neoliberals is why Republicans will never get over Reagan. While technically neoliberal, he sported the tricorn hat of ancient conservatism to rally his base. The founding fathers rhetoric didn't really jive with Laffer Curve theory and expanding federal spending, but conservatives didn't care. They saw what they wanted to see, and they still see it today.

Besides the liberal Democrat obsession with maintaining the racial higher ground, I suspect the polarization of US politics is why the DNC chose Barack Obama, rather than Clinton. He speaks to the left wing base, which is a good thing for Democrats.........in theory
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 02:31:34 PM »

Never
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 04:24:54 PM »

Reagan is the Republican's FDR.

Do we expect Democrats to stop talking about the strides that FDR made during his Presidency anytime soon?
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 04:56:35 PM »

Never. Lincoln is still talked greatly by both parties, FDR/ Kennedy by Democrats. Reagan is an immensely popular president, so of course politicians will try to echo him.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 06:54:18 PM »

When someone better comes along for the Republicans.
Joshgreen
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 08:43:24 PM »

When the olds who remember him die.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »

Do we expect Democrats to stop talking about the strides that FDR made during his Presidency anytime soon?
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 08:54:31 PM »

You're going to be waiting a while for those 40 year olds who remember Reagan in awe to die. 
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »

Only when y'all stop talking about what a great mind Reagan had.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 10:15:14 PM »

I chose 2050s because by then Generation X Republicans will be in retirement homes instead of on the national stage and by that time they should have had a president that they think they can be proud of.

That's a false equivalence, Democrats today don't namedrop FDR to show their liberal cred nearly as obsessively as Republicans do to try to bolster their image.

They're much more likely to mention Clinton, especially in relation to Dubya. Alison Lundergan Grimes even said "I'm a Clinton Democrat." while campaigning in Kentucky. FDR just doesn't have the universal appeal today that Reagan has, that ended like 20 years ago.

With Reagan you can mention his name anywhere in the U.S. and people will generally approve. Not so with FDR, Clinton has now come to occupy that vacuum he left.
Joshgreen
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 10:27:12 PM »

You're going to be waiting a while for those 40 year olds who remember Reagan in awe to die. 

Exactly, so I'm not holding my breath.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 11:08:53 PM »

You rarely hear modern day Democrats CONSTANTLY referencing FDR.

I mean yeah, I get why they mention him. But they go so overboard with it it's just cringeworthy.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 11:39:09 PM »

This thread reminds me of this old Onion video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoCQO90-0zQ
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 01:46:54 AM »

Republicans talk more about Reagan than Democrats talk about FDR and LBJ combined.
senyor_brownbear
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 05:38:19 AM »

Republicans talk more about Reagan than Democrats talk about FDR and LBJ every person in the world combined.

A preview of the 2016 debates: "Benghazi Reagan."
hopper
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 03:30:58 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2014, 03:33:13 PM by hopper »

When? Well the Dems were still obsessing after FDR when Reagan was President I have heard. I think when Clinton was President that's when Dems stop obsessing over FDR. Now every Dem talks about Clinton now and his presidency was over 13-14 years ago.  I know  Conservative Talk Radio loves to talk about Reagan and cherish but the country demographically and the economy was different then. Japan was the only economic competitor to the US. Now we have China, Mexico, and Brazil competing with the US on an economic basis daily.

The Republicans like to look to Reagan for inspiration on economic policy but those policies aren't going to work now. The Reagan Tax Cuts worked because Japan was our only economic competitor then now The Reagan Tax Cuts would fail because of all the countries that are competing with us.

I think when the Republicans get their "Bill Clinton" they will stop talking about Reagan. Maybe Jeb Bush is that candidate.

hopper
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 03:35:50 PM »

When Democrats stop obsessing over FDR. Both of them are the pillars of political thought representing the two parties.
Presidential Historian Doris Kearns Goodwin loves FDR. I'm amazed at how much she cherishes FDR's legacy.
hopper
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 03:38:16 PM »

Republicans talk more about Reagan than Democrats talk about FDR and LBJ combined.
Well Lyndon B Johnson is not known as a great president. He did leave a good legacy behind like Medicare, and The Civil Rights Act of 1964.
hopper
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 03:47:06 PM »

When they have a GOP president that isn't consider a failure historically.  
You think George HW Bush's Presidency was a failure? I don't think so. He is generally well liked by both parties now. I would give him an "incomplete" on his presidency. His defeat was moderately because of the pop culture change in 1992 from the 1980's pop culture as to why he lost as President  in 1992. Pop Culture really hasn't seen a backlash of a decade since the decade of the 80's got backlashed either. George HW Bush was at the wrong place at the wrong time partly and he really didn't have a plan for a second term to reduce the deficit  and an economic policy which Clinton kind of did.

Now yes George W. Bush's presidency is viewed as a failure.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 05:14:39 PM »

I think when the Republicans get their "Bill Clinton" they will stop talking about Reagan. Maybe Jeb Bush is that candidate.

No.
fartboy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 03:46:44 AM »

When blacks stop obsessing about Obama. Also, Reagan had a liberal side to him. He legalized abortion in California for therapeutic purposes even before Roe vs. Wade, signed helpful environmental bills, and became a supporter of gun control after his presidency.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 08:08:44 AM »

When blacks stop obsessing about Obama. Also, Reagan had a liberal side to him. He legalized abortion in California for therapeutic purposes even before Roe vs. Wade, signed helpful environmental bills, and became a supporter of gun control after his presidency.

You realize that Reagen regretted that abortion bill? And blacks obsessing over Obama? Yeah, no.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies