[No Longer] Calling Out TNF: Update - TNF Comes Through!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:39:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  [No Longer] Calling Out TNF: Update - TNF Comes Through!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: [No Longer] Calling Out TNF: Update - TNF Comes Through!  (Read 3396 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 02:32:31 PM »
« edited: March 17, 2014, 02:35:19 PM by Simfan34 »

Well, it looks like the country just rejected a lot of Labor proposals.

The poll seems to show, to my relief (and I am sure to yours and many others' as well), that most Atlasians are sane.

One tiny, obscure tidbit from a giant piece of legislation is hardly an example of significant disconnect between the Federalist Party and the People. I'd rather be in our position than yours, because the country basically just rejected your entire worldview.
index.php

That's a novel interpretation of these results, to say the least, and an extraordinary amount of weight to place on an Atlasian poll in any case. Wake me up when your party begins to get substantive bills passed.

That requires winning elections.

It also requires not being a disgraced ex-president.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 02:42:51 PM »

One tiny, obscure tidbit from a giant piece of legislation is hardly an example of significant disconnect between the Federalist Party and the People. I'd rather be in our position than yours, because the country basically just rejected your entire worldview.

That's a novel interpretation of these results, to say the least, and an extraordinary amount of weight to place on an Atlasian poll in any case. What happens in the Senate is far more important. Wake me up when your party begins to get substantive bills passed.

What I take from that is basically that TNF is the entire Labor Party (which I don't reject; it's a convenient interpretation for us, too). The thing is, his legislative victories don't reflect a systematic or institutional "win" for the Labor establishment; y'all just lucked out with an extremely productive member.

Actually, Tyrion has a decent couple of bills in the queue right now, too. (And, while they're not members of my party, so do Lumine and Shua).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I've never been a fan of meme-based legislation, as you know. Stuff like this is an embarrassing and uninteresting waste of time.

Department renaming, though? I don't think it's trival. It'd be nice to allow Cabinet officials to call themselves something a bit less sterile than "Secretary of Internal/External Affairs."

Roll Eyes  The point of this game is, first and foremost, to have fun.  If we can't introduce deliberately ridiculous bills every once in a while, then there's really no point.  The biggest problem in Atlasia has nothing to do with activity or ideology, it is that many people in all parties take it too seriously (honestly, I'm guilty of this myself sometimes).  There are literally no stakes to any of this and I see nothing wrong with introducing some bills that don't accomplish some critical policy objective as long as it is balanced with serious and productive proposals.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »

So if we were playing Risk and I scribbled all over the board with crayon, would that make the game more "fun"?

This is the second disagreement we've had where you've resorted to trying to using a straw-man.  I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, because I really do think you can do better than that.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 02:58:45 PM »

Well, it looks like the country just rejected a lot of Labor proposals.

The poll seems to show, to my relief (and I am sure to yours and many others' as well), that most Atlasians are sane.

index.php

That's a novel interpretation of these results, to say the least, and an extraordinary amount of weight to place on an Atlasian poll in any case. Wake me up when your party begins to get substantive bills passed.

That requires winning elections.

It also requires not being a disgraced ex-president.

The steps to becoming a disgraced ex-President:

1. Be a boring troll
2. Pretend to be a girl
3. Report your own posts
4. Lie pathologically
5. Misuse "big words" to appear intelligent, educated
6. Remain a boring, unfunny troll
7. Get banned
8. Beg and plead to be allowed back because no one else will be your friend
9. Get elected president
10. Congrats, you're a disgraced ex-President

You've completed 8 steps. Keep chugging along bro.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 03:05:52 PM »

Does obliterating two distinct regions with years of culture and accomplishments not qualify as "scribbling on the Risk board"...?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 03:09:23 PM »

Does obliterating two distinct regions with years of culture and accomplishments not qualify as "scribbling on the Risk board"...?

Starting a land war in Asia would be a better comparison.

So it's just a big waste of time, then? Tongue
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »

Oh, I thought we were still talking about Risk. Because everyone knows the best strategy is North America—South America—Africa.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 03:14:13 PM »

So if we were playing Risk and I scribbled all over the board with crayon, would that make the game more "fun"?

This is the second disagreement we've had where you've resorted to trying to using a straw-man.  I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, because I really do think you can do better than that.

Please clarify what makes these situations different.

Your risk scenario can only be described as a blatant act of d*****bagery, likely intended to ruin the game for others, that renders the game unplayable.  I don't think any reasonable person could honestly describe introducing two joke bills out of one's entire time in the Senate as a malevolent attempt to ruin Atlasia for everyone else out of sheer dickishness (though someone probably will just to try to troll me).  I'm sorry if you don't approve of introducing the occasional joke bill, but I won't apologize for occasionally introducing one.  If you really take such great offense to the cowbell bill and the stingray bill, you really need to CTFO.  Oh and by the way, you might also want to take a look at your own actions.  I don't recall you being nearly as upset about NM-AM, the Cultural-Marxists, or any other novelty party.  My apologies if I'm misremembering, but if not, then you really don't have a leg to stand on as far as criticizing me for those two bills goes.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 03:15:49 PM »

Well, nothing of the sort would be needed, assuming one hemisphere of the ideological spectrum wouldn't hole themselves up in two of the other regions for years on end, leading to persistent issues for the regional dynamic. Maybe one day, that hemisphere will champion ideas of its own that'll allow it win outside of its fiefdoms, instead of cowering safely in 40% of the country!
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 03:22:28 PM »

Well, nothing of the sort would be needed, assuming one hemisphere of the ideological spectrum wouldn't hole themselves up in two of the other regions for years on end, leading to persistent issues for the regional dynamic. Maybe one day, that hemisphere will champion ideas of its own that'll allow it win outside of its fiefdoms, instead of cowering safely in 40% of the country!

I know you're unfamiliar with this principle, but we actually don't tell our members to move somewhere based on political expediency.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 03:31:09 PM »

I'm sorry if you don't approve of introducing the occasional joke bill, but I won't apologize for occasionally introducing one.  If you really take such great offense to the cowbell bill and the stingray bill, you really need to CTFO.

I'm the one who's taking this too seriously? Heh...

I didn't say that I was "upset" about your bill, I said that it was uninteresting and a waste of time. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Yes, you are the one taking this too seriously.  As for the second part of your post, your claim that the bill was an embarrassing waste of time is entirely subjective.  I can no more prove you wrong than you can prove yourself right.  And even if such were possible, the burden of proof would fall on you since you're the one who made the claim.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 03:31:51 PM »

I know you're unfamiliar with this principle, but we actually don't tell our members to move somewhere based on political expediency.

LOL, I guess there are just no conservatives IRL in 30 or so states, then.

When we recruit without suggestion, we get an even distribution.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 03:41:13 PM »

I'm sorry if you don't approve of introducing the occasional joke bill, but I won't apologize for occasionally introducing one.  If you really take such great offense to the cowbell bill and the stingray bill, you really need to CTFO.

I'm the one who's taking this too seriously? Heh...

I didn't say that I was "upset" about your bill, I said that it was uninteresting and a waste of time. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Yes, you are the one taking this too seriously.  As for the second part of your post, your claim that the bill was an embarrassing waste of time is entirely subjective.  I can no more prove you wrong than you can prove yourself right.  And even if such were possible, the burden of proof would fall on you since you're the one who made the claim.

Feel free to prove me wrong by making debate on your law fun and entertaining. I don't expect you to construct a literal logical proof showing me how Premise A along with Premises B, C, and D necessarily lead to F-U-N.

Ah, sorry I misunderstood.  I certainly intend to do my best Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »

It's good to see some debate on those proposals (I opposed a good number of them, so the results were fine with me with small exceptions like animal rights), but if this is going to turn into the same old tired fight over which is the most awesome party and who is or isn't opportunistic or a moderate hero I highly recommend a few duels (I think Griffin has a good establishment for those affairs) to solve this and stop repeating the same arguments over and over again.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 04:05:29 PM »

It's good to see some debate on those proposals (I opposed a good number of them, so the results were fine with me with small exceptions like animal rights), but if this is going to turn into the same old tired fight over which is the most awesome party and who is or isn't opportunistic or a moderate hero I highly recommend a few duels (I think Griffin has a good establishment for those affairs) to solve this and stop repeating the same arguments over and over again.

Is that legitimately a thing that people abide by (half-joking)?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2014, 04:09:25 PM »

Unless you think stingray conservation and department renaming are pressing issues?

I don't know about the former but the latter isn't a Labor policy per se, it's just an Amendment version of a bill I passed while a Senator that Yankee had struck down as unconstitutional, so it's not really fair to criticise Labor on that.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 04:11:49 PM »

Duels are entirely legal. I look forward to the legendary X-Nix Duel Sponsored By Ex-Lax And Alfred's Bandages Corporation.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »

Is that legitimately a thing that people abide by (half-joking)?

Why not? It's strange, slightly ridiculous and potentially dangerous for any officeholder, but many complain that Atlasia is too boring, and they are indeed legal.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »

Duels are entirely legal. I look forward to the legendary X-Nix Duel Sponsored By Ex-Lax And Alfred's Bandages Corporation.

I wouldn't duel Nix, I still think he is a pretty good guy who means well and is generally a pretty reasonable guy (though we've been going at it quite a bit today).  I'd hope he'd say the same of me, but if not, it won't change my view of him.  Plus, he was a fellow member of TPP in its first run.  If I challenged anyone it'd be Napoleon Tongue
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »

I guess "1" means "strongly approve" and "7" "strongly disapprove?

Yes, my apologies for not making that clear.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2014, 05:45:45 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2014, 05:47:47 PM by Senator Malcolm X »

Napoleon has besmirched my honor one too many times!  Fortunately, we live in a time when you can challenge a man to a duel!  I challenge him to Fk ‘n’ Luck.  If I am struck down, I only ask that my good friend Senator TNF posthumously publish my environmental article.  Loser deregisters for two months.  Good day, sir Angry
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2014, 05:50:38 PM »

I wish I could have answered this poll... =(
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »

FTR, the right honorable Dereich of Florida will be my second.  Hopefully, Napoleon has the courage to answer my challenge.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2014, 06:42:53 PM »

Everyone stfu. TNF has come through.

Let us bond over this.

to the keg!
Pages: 1 [2]