How are the prospects for a Green Party Of Atlasia?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:03:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  How are the prospects for a Green Party Of Atlasia?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How are the prospects for a Green Party Of Atlasia?  (Read 410 times)
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »

As the party system seems to be in flux at the moment, there is one question to ask for a European left wing immigrant. How are the prospects for a Green party of Atlasia?

What I mean by that is a party that has the basic goals of preserving the environment, strengthen civil liberties, human rights and democratic principles, and multilateralism in foreign policy and ist left on economics without being the political arm of the union movement (This is probably more a matter of perception, wording and folklore than actual politics, though the Atlasian (American) approch to collective bargaining and unionizing is much different than where I come from.

Is there a niche for that in Atlasia that does not only consist of myself? Or should I just go to another already existing party? I am of course the man who stuck to the (Progressive) Union, though it was probably more a center than a left wing party in the end - and I was not very active. But now I'm considering what to do, because I'm not fully convinced of the refoundation of the People's Party, which most of the former PU members have chosen as their new political home.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 03:39:31 PM »

Well, Atlasia is quite ahead of OTL United States in regards to the environment, but there's still a lot to be done, specially in regards to long term policies to preserve the environment or foreign policy reform (ideas I picked for my Senate run). While I am now committed to the People's Party, I think a Green Party would be a very interesting idea (and definitely worth a try), and I think there would be enough people interested on that. The recent Scott survey shows a strong environmental support in Atlasia, after all, and I am of the opinion that having more serious political parties is always a good thing.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 03:42:20 PM »

There's the Earth Liberation Front, but I would encourage you to join Labor if you stand for environmental improvements. Current policies include a ban on fracking that looks likely to pass. Im not the biggest union guy myself but I think the party offers amuch more than a basic pro-union posture.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »

It would probably be a single issue party, and that might not bode well. Labor would definitely be the place to be because I can't imagine that pro-environment legislation would run into any palpable opposition. In fact, it might add to the party an area that no one is really working on! Now, a lot of us in Labor are pro-union, so if that doesn't actually bother you, I think Labor is the place to be because the vast majority of what you said fits in nicely there.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 08:43:49 PM »

It would probably be a single issue party, and that might not bode well. Labor would definitely be the place to be because I can't imagine that pro-environment legislation would run into any palpable opposition. In fact, it might add to the party an area that no one is really working on! Now, a lot of us in Labor are pro-union, so if that doesn't actually bother you, I think Labor is the place to be because the vast majority of what you said fits in nicely there.

Well, the Green parties elsewhere in the world are not single-issue parties. A lot of people in the old left keep thinking like this, but it's increasingly not the case.

I think a European-style Green Party would give Labor a collective ulcer Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 09:31:02 PM »

I took the time to check out recent green legislation and most of it was from three Senators (Nix, Marokai and me) or signed by three Presidents (also Nix, Marokai and me Tongue ). So I would say the Labor Party has a solid resume on environmental issues but if you join, you could bolster this contingent. Talleyrand is pushing the Fracking ban in the Senate and former Senator Maxwell had a farm subsidies reform bill, he's in the Democratic Republican Party so I suspect that the emphasis was limited government as opposed to strong environment but the bill gained large support for both reasons. I also had an environment bill die twice before giving up on it. Tongue

Regardless of whether you join Labor or start a Green Party, I'm open to hearing your ideas that I may be able to advocate for in the Northeast Assembly. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies