Your internet self vs. your real self.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:17:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Your internet self vs. your real self.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Your internet self vs. your real self.  (Read 3514 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 12:08:28 PM »

I'm so much more ed up than y'all realize.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 12:12:19 PM »

I make an attempt to be basically the same person on the Internet and in real life. That wasn't always the case, but I realized as I grew up that maintaining a distinction was silly and counterproductive. Obviously I'm less nice on the Internet and more inclined to talk about a wider range of subjects (mostly with real people I just talk about sports), but my personality is the same.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 03:01:37 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2014, 03:04:08 PM by RIP My Favorite Pizza Place »

Oh crap. I think I mistook you in the chat for this Obamanation. No wonder it hasn't been an active account in a year. Tongue

That guy was a sock. That's why it hasn't been active in a year.

This wasn't the first time you've got us confused, as the topic I now liked to in the OP said.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 03:13:48 PM »

I take my rhetoric to an extreme here because it's fun.  And why would I be here if not for fun?... it's not like any post I make will change the world. 

As I say to the friends who I spat with on Facespace and whatnot... sit down and let's have a beer, then you'll get some real feels.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 07:47:19 PM »

It seems every time I go to a website, people there hate me.

You are underappreciated, dahlink.  I keess you.  Kiss

Everyone is far more picky and far more rude and far more personal than they'd be with strangers on the subway.  The anonymity of the internet is a liberator, really.  Your hairy caveman comes out.  I regard it as rather cathartic, to be honest.  There are many facets of the brave new world that bother me--I never see a young adult or teenager without earbuds, for example, and attention spans are short enough without grown-ups having to compete with smartphones and real-time gaming, and generally I think that digital connectivity makes us detached, hermits in a land of hermits--but in this aspect I appreciate the Digital Age.  Let us have moments of liberation, unregulated by the thought police and the politically correct.  Let the vehemence flow.  It needs an outlet, and masturbation surely has lost at least some of its intrigue, by the time you are emotionally mature enough to develop coherent ideological postures.  Let the haters hate digitally.  Let the lovers love digitally.  Let the visceral come to the fore in ways that it never will in the real world, with its earbuds and video games and downcast glances any time someone says something you disagree with.  Here, it is safe.  Here, you will not feel a fist in your face.  You will not be cut or shot.  You will not feel a pool cue breaking your cranium, and then feel nothing else, ever.  You may say what you will.

If only the moderators here understood the value of frank and open vitriol, or the healing power of catharsis, O what a wonderful, wonderful forum this might be.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 10:49:35 PM »

I take back my earlier comment. WOW.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 10:50:40 PM »

I take back my earlier comment. WOW.

That you don't hate me?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 10:53:37 PM »

I've lost any respect for you with your "filthy slut" comment. That's absolutely despicable. That said, no I can't really bring myself to hate someone for an internet comment. I hope you can change.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2014, 04:38:36 AM »

The real me gyms every other day, cycles every day, helps run a house, has domestic duties, bangs his husband, listens to music, paints, snuggles up with Netflix and a cooked meal and doesn't have to talk about religion because most people don't give a sh-t about it.

And yet for some reason, you feel the need to comment negatively on religion as often as possible. Not that I don't respect your opinion, but it doesn't seem like you try to avoid the issue.

I also comment negatively against Labour, the GOP, the No campaign and the Big Bang Theory but no one ever gets affronted by that Smiley If I didn't speak my mind negatively or positively about anything on here I wouldn't have many posts!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2014, 05:39:37 AM »

The real me gyms every other day, cycles every day, helps run a house, has domestic duties, bangs his husband, listens to music, paints, snuggles up with Netflix and a cooked meal and doesn't have to talk about religion because most people don't give a sh-t about it.

And yet for some reason, you feel the need to comment negatively on religion as often as possible. Not that I don't respect your opinion, but it doesn't seem like you try to avoid the issue.

I also comment negatively against Labour, the GOP, the No campaign and the Big Bang Theory but no one ever gets affronted by that Smiley If I didn't speak my mind negatively or positively about anything on here I wouldn't have many posts!

That's not my point. It's just that, if religion doesn't interest you, as you claim is true for "most people", why take the time to discuss it?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2014, 06:12:10 AM »

That's not my point. It's just that, if religion doesn't interest you, as you claim is true for "most people", why take the time to discuss it?

Philosophy does interest me. It so happens that in the relevant board on the forum discussion of philosophy tends to be intertwined with notions of god, specifically a Christian god. That connection is not as strong on other discussions I've participated in or in day to day duscussions. I don't mind it being brought to the table but I don't think I'm being disrespectful in giving my own worldview. 
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2014, 06:52:55 AM »

I guess I'll be honest here... the internet me has a job..friends, and goes to the gym twice a day. Internet me has been doing whatever it takes to get his life back on track.

Real me? Well.. I'm a dog. When your on the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2014, 07:50:27 AM »

Nice tattoo.  If you turn it upside down, it says MOM.  

Of course, if lying down, they'll think you're in the sigma-omicron-sigma society. 
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2014, 07:52:39 AM »

I think anyone who has met me in person can attest that, indeed, my personality is very Grin Cheesy Grin *hughughug* Grin Cheesy Grin LINGUISTICS BRAINS COGNITIVE SCIENCE STEVEN PINKER'S HAIR!!!!!! in real life.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2014, 01:52:07 PM »

I'm far less edgy/insufferable in real life, as you might assume.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2014, 01:59:04 PM »

I'm somewhat more of a firebrand on the internet
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2014, 02:16:04 PM »

I'm far less edgy/insufferable in real life, as you might assume.

Yeah, it's not too hard to believe.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2014, 02:16:56 PM »

Probably a bit less abrasive.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2014, 02:17:28 PM »

I'm the same person!
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2014, 02:28:46 PM »

I want to meet some posters here so I can see how different they are from how I see them. Who want to meet? I will bring the pop.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2014, 02:36:02 PM »

I don't talk about politics at all in real life.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2014, 03:45:15 PM »

My RL self is far too like my internet self for comfort.

Have you filed a petition to get a coworker banned?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2014, 04:26:30 PM »

I'm quieter in real life.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2014, 05:38:02 PM »

I'm fairly well liked and respected in real life, and some people, for some bizarre reason, seem to regard me as wise (if that's the right word) and ask for advice from me. On the forum, I'm the chap whom most people have a kind of apathetic contempt for, rather like the dog doo-dah you might find, to your disgust, clinging to the sole of your shoe. So yeah, quite a contrast.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2014, 06:27:19 PM »

I'm fairly well liked and respected in real life, and some people, for some bizarre reason, seem to regard me as wise (if that's the right word) and ask for advice from me. On the forum, I'm the chap whom most people have a kind of apathetic contempt for, rather like the dog doo-dah you might find, to your disgust, clinging to the sole of your shoe. So yeah, quite a contrast.
I agree that your one of the most intelligent and well-informed posters on the site, much like barfbag (RIP).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies