Lots of retirements in the Utah legislature this year.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:08:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lots of retirements in the Utah legislature this year.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lots of retirements in the Utah legislature this year.  (Read 303 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2014, 01:38:26 PM »

One-fourth of all Dems in the legislature (including the House Minority Leader and three other state reps, and a state senator), and four GOP state reps (including the House Speaker), and a state senator.

All of the seats are either completely safe (every single GOP seat), or leaning/likely Dem (the Dem seats, of course). All of the Dems already have candidates who are running to replace them. I don't know about the GOP.

Additionally, Utah Senate Minority Leader Gene Davis (who has been in the legislature since 1987) may receive a primary challenge from lawyer and long-time Utah Dem political operative Pat Shea, who's been in politics for as long as Davis has.

Finally, 2012 Hatch challenger Dan Liljenquist will not run a primary challenge to freshman UT-02 Rep Chris Stewart; apparently some Beltway types though he was going to do so.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »

I would have never believed we could have had good analysis of the uncompetitive state of utah. Congrats!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »

I would have never believed we could have had good analysis of the uncompetitive state of utah. Congrats!

Thanks, but I just keep up with local news and elections, and ask the local political insiders a lot of things. I have very little local political knowledge of my own.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 04:29:01 PM »

Don't sell yourself short Zioneer. I'm a long-time lurker, and political differences aside, you provide a lot of info that normally falls through the cracks and would otherwise go unnoticed.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 07:24:08 PM »

Don't sell yourself short Zioneer. I'm a long-time lurker, and political differences aside, you provide a lot of info that normally falls through the cracks and would otherwise go unnoticed.

Oh, I always sell myself short. It's what I do.

But though I do think I know more than most non-Utahns do about Utah politics, it's mostly just keeping up and checking the news sites, and having a couple of liberal insider friends. Also having access to the precinct/elections info for Salt Lake County, where the only semi-competitive politics in the entire state happens helps.

Anyway, I actually personally know three of the candidates for the open Dem seats, and it'll be interesting to see if they get in.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies