tattoo you!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:48:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  tattoo you!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: How many do you have?

1-2

3-4

more than five

flat tax

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: tattoo you!  (Read 2449 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 10:49:21 PM »

None. Never will, either. No cheap design is worth living with forever.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 10:55:41 PM »

I don't really see the appeal in ever getting a tattoo myself.  But if I had to, I'd probably go with this:

or possibly this:

Bonus internet points to anyone who knows what the first thing is.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 12:17:32 AM »

None yet, but I plan on getting this on my upper arm:

You're going to put a tattoo of an arm on your arm? Please put another, smaller version of this tattoo on the arm in the original tattoo. And when people ask you why you did that, tell them you yourself are just a tattoo on the arm of The Worker while waving your open hands through the air.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 07:38:18 AM »

I don't really see the appeal in ever getting a tattoo myself.  But if I had to, I'd probably go with this:

I just went over to the piano and played it and I have to say that it's awfully dissonant.  Sounds like the stuff they play in horror movies when someone walks into a room where a madman with a knife is waiting.

I also happened to hear some stravinsky on the radio on the way to my office yesterday morning, and it sounds like the polytone music I just heard myself play on the piano.  Can't remember which song it was that I heard on the radio though.

The second one is recognizable.  It's an early plat of Philadelphia.  Maybe 1700.  The rivers on either side are a dead giveaway even without the legend.

Oh, wait, is that a hint?  Is the music from the movie Philadelphia?

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 08:48:30 AM »

None. Some tattoos look good on some people, but most don't.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2014, 10:09:45 AM »

I just went over to the piano and played it and I have to say that it's awfully dissonant.  Sounds like the stuff they play in horror movies when someone walks into a room where a madman with a knife is waiting.

I also happened to hear some stravinsky on the radio on the way to my office yesterday morning, and it sounds like the polytone music I just heard myself play on the piano.  Can't remember which song it was that I heard on the radio though.

The second one is recognizable.  It's an early plat of Philadelphia.  Maybe 1700.  The rivers on either side are a dead giveaway even without the legend.

Oh, wait, is that a hint?  Is the music from the movie Philadelphia?

Nope, they're not related and it's not from a horror movie, or any movie in fact.

The second one was actually William Penn's original plan for the city, even before any of the streets were laid out.  I think it was pre-1700 but I don't remember the exact year off the top of my head
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2014, 10:23:50 AM »

D-NY tatted on my left wrist.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2014, 10:59:16 AM »

I studied some Stravinsky in college and it looked familiar. I checked that it is the chord from his famous ballet Petrushka. I still have the vinyl LP of Stravinsky conducting that and Firebird for Columbia Records in 1961.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »

Tattoo's are generally pointless, but to each their own. If I were to ever make the Olympics, I'd probably get a maple leaf, but this dream is sadly is close to impossible.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2014, 02:25:36 PM »

None, though my brother got one recently.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »

I just don't find the real tattoos attractive or necessary in any way except to be with the "cool crowd" as it also applies to things like alcohol, smokes, piercings, etc.

That's quite an ignorant opinion, to say the least.

Did you expect anything different from that user?

But yeah, tattoos just aren't me.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2014, 04:37:55 PM »

that will be embarrassing when you grow up and start earning money and realize that you dont want your wealth confiscated.

Wealth? Are you in the 1%?

I'm not sure if you're talking about unions or the spirit of the image in question, but have you ever been in a union? I have. Why someone would not want a union to negotiate for them I have no idea. I suspect it's because most Americans don't have union experience and are susceptible to propaganda.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2014, 04:50:03 PM »

None yet, but I plan on getting this on my upper arm:

Only the hammer? I see your "class warfare" has evolved into labor vs the farmers. Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2014, 04:51:08 PM »

Yes.  I plan on getting another overly-ambiguous tattoo that expresses my intellectual superiority which can only be matched by that of my peers. #euphoria #swagg
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2014, 04:52:35 PM »

In all seriousness, though, I don't have a problem with tattoos.  I really don't.  They're just not for me.  Might that change one day?  Maybe.  But, I probably wouldn't plan on getting anything too noticeable or larger than a square inch or two.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2014, 07:30:15 PM »

Any of you old enough to remember when chinese ideograms were all the rage?  This was in the late 90s.  I'd see black guys and white guys with stuff like this tattooed on the backs of their necks:

All the chinese people I talked to about it found it particularly bizarre.  Why the hell is that guy wearing chinese words on his skin?!  Is that normal for Americans?  Sadly, at the moment it is.  The above says "Can I get a fork?"  A chinese tattoo artist with a wicked sense of humor who did that would have to be a true FF.  Imagine:  a guy walks in and says, "yo, man, I need a chinese symbol for Big Bad Ass Dude on my neck, a'ight?"  And the tattoo guy says, "yes, sir" and proceeds to put this on his neck, a silent but bemused grin on his face the whole time, as his thoughts turn, "What a moron.  I really shouldn't do this to him but I just can't help myself."  

Here's an old cartoon along those lines:

tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2014, 07:48:13 PM »

Reminds me of this: http://hanzismatter.blogspot.com.au/?m=0
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2014, 09:28:09 PM »

I have 1.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2014, 09:28:39 PM »

A chinese tattoo artist with a wicked sense of humor who did that would have to be a true FF.  Imagine:  a guy walks in and says, "yo, man, I need a chinese symbol for Big Bad Ass Dude on my neck, a'ight?"  And the tattoo guy says, "yes, sir" and proceeds to put this on his neck, a silent but bemused grin on his face the whole time, as his thoughts turn, "What a moron.  I really shouldn't do this to him but I just can't help myself."  

A reverse of this concept was above the door of a Chinese restaurant a group of us frequented about 20 years ago. We assumed that the ideograms were some pithy philosophy. One time while dining with a Chinese colleague I asked what it said, and her reply was "This restaurant make lots of money."
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2014, 09:39:39 PM »

Yeah, a fraternity tattoo on ankle, Greek letters and a black diamond with a white star in the middle (well, my pale skin acting as the white.  It was 20 years ago when tattooing wasn't in vogue, now all the hippies and hipsters and gutter punks and whatnot get tats like candy, making my poloshirt-wearing act of conforming rebellion pointless.

I am grateful that I came of age in era when I didn't have to bang someone with a tramp stamp.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2014, 03:39:37 AM »

0 (sane).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2014, 07:26:20 AM »

I don't really have an issue with tattoos per se, but they're just so... common, in both senses of the word. I don't really want one.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2014, 10:27:38 AM »

I studied some Stravinsky in college and it looked familiar. I checked that it is the chord from his famous ballet Petrushka. I still have the vinyl LP of Stravinsky conducting that and Firebird for Columbia Records in 1961.

Indeed it is!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2014, 11:18:58 AM »

What am I, moldy whitefish all of the sudden?

How about a little partial credit anyway.  I didn't remember the name of the song, but I recognized the particular tonality immediately by just playing one bar.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies