NE2: Northeast Public Intoxication Act (Law)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:35:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: Northeast Public Intoxication Act (Law)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NE2: Northeast Public Intoxication Act (Law)  (Read 1186 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2014, 04:08:33 PM »
« edited: March 17, 2014, 09:33:01 PM by cinyc »

Northeast Public Intoxication Act

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Governor Dallasfan65

Debate on this bill will remain open for 72 hours, or until around 5:15 PM on March 17, unless modified or extended.  The sponsor, Governor Dallasfan65, is encouraged to speak on behalf of the bill within the next 36 hours.  If he does not, the bill will be tabled, as there is more proposed legislation in the queue.

The floor is open for debate.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 04:10:08 PM »

I don't care if someone pees on the same bush that my bulldog peed on at the local park, but if some asshole pisses on the door of my store that's vandalism at a minimum.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 04:31:34 PM »

I don't care if someone pees on the same bush that my bulldog peed on at the local park, but if some asshole pisses on the door of my store that's vandalism at a minimum.

Not to mention public indecency.  Think of the children!
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 05:48:43 PM »

Perhaps we could amend it so, for private property and vehicles?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 12:21:50 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2014, 08:48:13 AM by SirNick »

I feel like Section 1 Part 1 is the only necessary part of this bill.

Id likely vote for it either way.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 09:35:26 AM »

I feel like Section 1 Part 1 is the only necessary part of this bill.

Id likely vote for it either way.

Well, the Consolidated Marijuana Regulation Act says this:

While the Comprehensive Drug Reform Act of 2013 says this:

I think that may tie our hands a bit in Clause 3, Section 2. I'd have to get a second opinion on the matter, though.

Anywho, I'd argue that Section 3 is very necessary.

link

Several states in the Northeast have laws that can require one to register as a sex offender for public urination (I actually knew of someone IRL.) I'm willing to budge and make the fine higher (and of course a provision regarding private property) but I think we can all agree that the status quo is bad public policy.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 10:00:12 AM »

Didn't notice the sex offender/public urination part. Definitely will support the bill.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 10:08:17 AM »

Having to register as a sex offender for public urination is just ridiculous. I fully support this bill
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 10:17:33 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2014, 10:20:16 AM by Napoleon »

Its probably covered already actually so important m fine with the current text. Well just to be safe...

1)   Public urination is hereby defined as a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not in excess of $25.00.
2)   Any state laws or local ordinances defining public urination as a sex offense are hereby repealed.
3)   Urination on private property may still be considered vandalism.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 12:26:58 PM »

Its probably covered already actually so important m fine with the current text. Well just to be safe...

1)   Public urination is hereby defined as a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not in excess of $25.00.
2)   Any state laws or local ordinances defining public urination as a sex offense are hereby repealed.
3)   Urination on private property may still be considered vandalism.

I can get on board with that.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 08:22:08 PM »

I oppose any attempt to allow marijuana smoking or other drug use in public places.  Why should those who don't want to have anything to do with drugs have to inhale marijuana smoke and risk getting a contact high?  And, depending on how you define public space, why should the government be telling private establishments like bars and restaurants that they have to let people use drugs in their establishments?  Shouldn't they be able to make their own rules?

I also oppose getting rid of open container laws in moving automobiles.  Are we trying to increase the amount of drunk driving in the Northeast?

Finally, with respect to Section 4, isn't the Freedom to Enjoy Onesself in Public Act a federal law?  How can we repeal a federal law?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 09:06:31 PM »

I oppose any attempt to allow marijuana smoking or other drug use in public places.  Why should those who don't want to have anything to do with drugs have to inhale marijuana smoke and risk getting a contact high?  And, depending on how you define public space, why should the government be telling private establishments like bars and restaurants that they have to let people use drugs in their establishments?  Shouldn't they be able to make their own rules?

I also oppose getting rid of open container laws in moving automobiles.  Are we trying to increase the amount of drunk driving in the Northeast?

Finally, with respect to Section 4, isn't the Freedom to Enjoy Onesself in Public Act a federal law?  How can we repeal a federal law?

As I mentioned earlier, per the Consolidated Marijuana Regulation Act, the same regulations on smoking tobacco in public apply to smoking marijuana in public. If you can smoke cigarettes there, you can smoke pot there.

That being said, I certainly don't want this to be construed as forcing private institutions to accommodate drug use - my definition of "public" in the bill entails parks, streets, etc. Would an amendment assuage this concern?

I'm not certain that getting a contact high is a legitimate concern, unless you want one.

I understand concern with allowing open containers in personally owned automobiles, but what's wrong with drinking on the train, or in the back of a taxi? Drunk driving laws still apply under this law.

Lastly, the federal Freedom to Enjoy Oneself in Public law only applies to D.C. and federal territories. We passed a regional equivalent several years ago - this law is an attempt to expand upon it.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 07:50:56 PM »

How does prohibiting open containers reduce drunk driving?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 10:22:09 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2014, 10:24:37 PM by cinyc »

The open container law in automobiles literally prohibits drinking while driving.  A blanket repeal of open container laws it would include drinking in automobiles.   Nobody should be drinking alcohol while driving.  It makes driving drunk more likely.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 10:36:14 PM »

The open container law in automobiles literally prohibits drinking while driving.  A blanket repeal of open container laws it would include drinking in automobiles.   Nobody should be drinking alcohol while driving.  It makes driving drunk more likely.

What if we were to amend it to prohibit open containers while operating an automobile?

My apologies if the law wasn't specific.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 10:37:40 PM »

As I mentioned earlier, per the Consolidated Marijuana Regulation Act, the same regulations on smoking tobacco in public apply to smoking marijuana in public. If you can smoke cigarettes there, you can smoke pot there.

That being said, I certainly don't want this to be construed as forcing private institutions to accommodate drug use - my definition of "public" in the bill entails parks, streets, etc. Would an amendment assuage this concern?

And under the later Comprehensive Drug Reform Act of 2013, smoking marijuana in public is not permissible.  It is only permissible at home and in licensed establishments.  Your bill would make smoking marijuana at City Hall permissible, as it is a public space.  Why should those who want nothing to do with drugs be assaulted with marijuana fumes while going to a city council meeting?

At a minimum, the bill should only apply to outdoor public spaces.  Even then, although it's a bit more tenuous, why should those who want nothing to do with drugs have to walk through a haze of marijuana smoke when going to the beach or their workplace?  And shouldn't a building owner have the right to ban smoking on their property near building entrances, if they wish?

I suppose it depends on whether you think people want to be bothered by drunks while taking mass transit.  Most grown-ups would rather not have to deal with obnoxious drunks while on their way home from work.  Increasing the number of places where people can drink alcohol increases the likelihood that those who want to have nothing to do with drunks will have to have something to do with drunks.

Point taken.  I only found the federal bill when doing a web search.  "Onesself" should be "Oneself" in the "Freedom to Enjoy Onesself in Public" of Section 4(1), and you need to add Act or Law at the end of the phrase, whichever it is.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 10:38:11 PM »

Passengers should be allowed to drink, though, no? And I think that drinking in parked vehicles is something that shouldbe allowed- for example, a group may want to drink before a concert or something in their vehicle before doors open. Nothing wrong with that. We have a legal limit and if a driver is above that he would already be punishable on that basi.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 10:47:50 PM »

Passengers should be allowed to drink, though, no? And I think that drinking in parked vehicles is something that shouldbe allowed- for example, a group may want to drink before a concert or something in their vehicle before doors open. Nothing wrong with that. We have a legal limit and if a driver is above that he would already be punishable on that basi.

If passengers can legally drink in a moving vehicle, then every driver will claim that the open container in the car wasn't his, rendering enforcement impossible.  That's why we have open container laws in automobiles.  Drinking alcohol while driving should be illegal, regardless of how close to the legal limit the driver is.  It increases the risk that a driver will become a drunk driver.

I'm not saying anything about drinking in a parked car.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 10:50:46 PM »

If passengers can legally drink in a moving vehicle, then every driver will claim that the open container in the car wasn't his, rendering enforcement impossible.  That's why we have open container laws in automobiles.

Isn't most of this negated by the advent of breathalyzers?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »

I'm not trying to muddy the debate- open container laws currently restrict drinking in parked vehicles and I feel that is anunreasonable restriction. I understand and respect the concerns you named but I think they can be handled via standard DUI laws.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 10:53:57 PM »

If passengers can legally drink in a moving vehicle, then every driver will claim that the open container in the car wasn't his, rendering enforcement impossible.  That's why we have open container laws in automobiles.

Yeah that was my point- an open container belonging to a passenger still doesn't result a bac reduction for the driver.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 11:02:39 PM »

No.  By allowing people to drink while driving, you're increasing the likelihood that someone will drive drunk.  At least at a bar, people can wait after drinking to sober up.  There is no sobering up if you are drinking alcohol while driving.  You are making your physical condition worse while operating a motor vehicle.  I don't see why we should encourage people to drink while driving by getting rid of open container laws for moving automobiles.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 08:32:28 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

Hopefully this amendment ameliorates Representative Cinyc's concerns about drug use in public buildings.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 03:41:45 PM »

Governor Dallasfan 65: is Rep. Deus' proposed amendment friendly?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 04:44:15 PM »

The debate period is over.  We are awaiting input from Governor Dallasfan65 on the proposed amendment before we can put the bill or amendment to a vote.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies