Opinion of this Observation Made by a College Professor of Racial Geography
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:40:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of this Observation Made by a College Professor of Racial Geography
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: "While it may be true that in the South churches are and have always been segregated, it is in the North that the public schools are [still segregated]"
Freedom Observation

Horrible Observation

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Opinion of this Observation Made by a College Professor of Racial Geography  (Read 1133 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »

Seems to be a freedom observation.

AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 04:38:40 PM »

Freedom Observation

My compulsory education was completed in the Northeast. White people as far as the eye could see, and housing prices that kept middle class minorities away. Returned to my beloved home state as soon as age emancipated me. Discovered that Texas is far more integrated than the Northeast in virtually every aspect of life. Even churches are becoming more integrated.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 06:13:45 PM »

And Southern schools aren't?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 06:32:55 PM »

Your suburban schools in the South can be just as segregated as the ones in the North, but many of your small town and rural schools are incredibly diverse in the South.  However, in the North small towns and rural areas tend to be lily-white as are schools in those areas.

In the North, urban schools are overwhelmingly attended by minorities.  The same is true of urban schools in the South.

In small towns and rural areas in the North, the schools are almost exclusively white while in the South these types of schools are much more diverse and, in many cases, majority-minority.     
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 06:45:54 PM »

Yes rural schools in the North have much fewer black people than rural schools in the South but can that really be called segregation?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 07:17:59 PM »

Your suburban schools in the South can be just as segregated as the ones in the North, but many of your small town and rural schools are incredibly diverse in the South.  However, in the North small towns and rural areas tend to be lily-white as are schools in those areas.   

What?  In most rural Deep South towns, the public schools are all black and all of the whites go to private school.

Now, I do think your overarching observation that racial macrorelations are better in the North, but racial microrelations are better in the South, is probably a correct one.  I just think schools are a really poor example of it.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 07:48:52 PM »

It's less than it seems though. 

Black people left the South to live in major cities in the North during the Great Migration.  This migration occurred during the industrial revolution where industry began to gain on agriculture.  So, the Northern black population is concentrated in those cities because settlement patterns where dictated by the economics of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries vs. the economics of plantation agriculture.  Agriculture is necessarily more spread out than factory work, so blacks in the South are more evenly distributed.  Not racism, just historical coincidence. 

The whole relationship between racism and segregation is pretty interesting though.  People tend to invoke segregation as akin to racism sometimes.  But other times, like in the gentrification context, integration is akin to racism.  It isn't the right wing that wants to maintain the racial balance of 90% black neighborhoods in New York City.

But, the schools point might have some validity.  My neighborhood is probably 10-12% white, but the public schools are about 0% white.  There is a cultural, economic gulf on schools that tends to divide races very sharply.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 10:18:34 PM »

What?  In most rural Deep South towns, the public schools are all black and all of the whites go to private school.

That's probably only true in extremely rural areas like the MS Delta or South Carolina Black Belt.

However, I would expect that many of your medium-to-large schools in Mississippi - places like Clinton, Starkville or Tupelo - are much more diverse than schools or corresponding size in places like New Jersey or Michigan. 
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 10:43:29 PM »

I don't see how much more integrated Northern churches could be than Southern ones.

A larger proportion of Northern whites are members of the Roman Catholic Church, which has virtually no African-American members apart from in some parts of Maryland. You certainly aren't going to find too many non-white faces in a Lutheran or Episcopalian service.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 10:47:32 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2014, 10:43:11 AM by Clarko95 »

Horrible observation, because it's misleading.

It's implying that there is some sort of systematic segregation going on ala Jim Crow, rather than historical immigration and economic trends that left rural areas in the North as white and cities full of minorities, while in the South blacks are predominant in cities, white dominate suburbs, and there's some parity in rural areas.

Guys, it's 2014. Let's get past this Civil War "Your region is more racist than mine!" spiel

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 08:46:31 AM »

I don't see how much more integrated Northern churches could be than Southern ones.

A larger proportion of Northern whites are members of the Roman Catholic Church, which has virtually no African-American members apart from in some parts of Maryland. You certainly aren't going to find too many non-white faces in a Lutheran or Episcopalian service.

What about within denominations with decent sized black components? Would you get blacks in a Methodist or Baptist service in New England?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 10:27:01 AM »

Yes rural schools in the North have much fewer black people than rural schools in the South but can that really be called segregation?

By definition, yes, but even a spatial index of segregation that excluded rural school districts would reach the conclusion that Northern districts are highly segregated by race.

Yeah and CT is the worst.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 01:17:15 PM »

So are southern schools.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 01:40:31 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2014, 05:16:27 PM by AggregateDemand »

Guys, it's 2014. Let's get past this Civil War "Your regions is more racist than mine!" spiel

Race baiting should be dead, but this isn't race baiting. He's pointing out that different types of race phenomena. The South deals with the old school racism of discrimination and residual hatred. The North deals with racial ommission, which creates a natural segregation and lack of empathy (in some instances).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 04:52:01 PM »

Horrible observation, because it's misleading.

It's implying that there is some sort of systematic segregation going on ala Jim Crow, rather than historical immigration and economic trends that left rural areas in the North as white and cities full of minorities, while in the South blacks are predominant in cities, white dominate suburbs, and there's some parity in rural areas.

Guys, it's 2014. Let's get past this Civil War "Your regions is more racist than mine!" spiel

Wow, this is a really great post.  I think I'll even sig that last line on mine.  Bravo sir, bravo!
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 05:17:55 PM »

What about within denominations with decent sized black components? Would you get blacks in a Methodist or Baptist service in New England?

Would you get blacks in New England, period?

If I had to guess which denomination would be most integrated, I'd go with the United Methodist Church, simply because it's a fairly big one that encompasses both blacks and whites and both theological conservatives and theological liberals.

The UMC church my family went to when I was growing up was in keeping with the Mainline nature of the parent organization. Not a lot of politics or fuss over abortion/gays/evolution/etc. There were a handful of black families and the pastor was a black man.

By comparison, there was a larger UMC church nearby that was more Evangelical in style. A lot of the people who went there were active in local Republican politics. They'd do a lot of fundraising for Darfur and for missions to Africa and South America, but I never saw them lift a finger to help any of the poor people who actually lived in our community. And they were 99.99% white.

So even if a denomination is relatively integrated, people will probably still self-select into like-minded individual congregations.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 11:52:54 AM »

Would you get blacks in New England, period?

Good point Tongue
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 07:27:16 PM »

I think he's talking about de facto segregation and not de jure segregation.  And that kind existed almost everywhere, even during the Jim Crow era in the South.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 07:34:39 PM »

ITT: White people arguing over which region of the USA is more racist.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 08:44:13 PM »

I think he's talking about de facto segregation and not de jure segregation.  And that kind existed almost everywhere, even during the Jim Crow era in the South.

Of course, de facto segregation was (and still is, to a certain extent) still oftentimes just as rigidly enforced as the legal stuff.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 11:13:48 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2014, 11:19:04 PM by traininthedistance »

Black people left the South to live in major cities in the North during the Great Migration.  This migration occurred during the industrial revolution where industry began to gain on agriculture.  So, the Northern black population is concentrated in those cities because settlement patterns where dictated by the economics of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries vs. the economics of plantation agriculture.  Agriculture is necessarily more spread out than factory work, so blacks in the South are more evenly distributed.  Not racism, just historical coincidence.  

No, actually, it is racism as well, due to redlining, the phenomenon of "sundown towns", exclusionary zoning, and other related things.  I assume that it's true that you wouldn't have all that many blacks in the rural north... but there's too much segregation within cities and metro areas for it to just be "historical coincidence".

The whole relationship between racism and segregation is pretty interesting though.  People tend to invoke segregation as akin to racism sometimes.  But other times, like in the gentrification context, integration is akin to racism.  It isn't the right wing that wants to maintain the racial balance of 90% black neighborhoods in New York City.

But, the schools point might have some validity.  My neighborhood is probably 10-12% white, but the public schools are about 0% white.  There is a cultural, economic gulf on schools that tends to divide races very sharply.

The 10 percent white population in your neighborhood is probably disproportionately younger, childless, and new to the area. It would be an interesting test to see how those numbers change going forward.

Anyway, not to toot my own horn or anything, but my hometown in NJ and its schools were actually relatively well integrated- and I didn't realize that was so unusual for a fairly long time.  One less-than-great thing that I did notice, however, was that the honors classes tended to be a lot whiter than the student body as a whole.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 11:59:30 PM »

By definition, yes, but even a spatial index of segregation that excluded rural school districts would reach the conclusion that Northern districts are highly segregated by race.

Ok, I just wouldn't call a geographic area segregated on the basis of a lack of a minority population in that area.  To measure segregation I would want to look at how minorities, however few in number, were distributed within that area.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 12:12:02 AM »

Black people left the South to live in major cities in the North during the Great Migration.  This migration occurred during the industrial revolution where industry began to gain on agriculture.  So, the Northern black population is concentrated in those cities because settlement patterns where dictated by the economics of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries vs. the economics of plantation agriculture.  Agriculture is necessarily more spread out than factory work, so blacks in the South are more evenly distributed.  Not racism, just historical coincidence.  

No, actually, it is racism as well, due to redlining, the phenomenon of "sundown towns", exclusionary zoning, and other related things.  I assume that it's true that you wouldn't have all that many blacks in the rural north... but there's too much segregation within cities and metro areas for it to just be "historical coincidence".

My point was that there is residential segregation in both regions, but the South seems more integrated at a macro level because of rural vs. urban patterns of settlement.

The whole relationship between racism and segregation is pretty interesting though.  People tend to invoke segregation as akin to racism sometimes.  But other times, like in the gentrification context, integration is akin to racism.  It isn't the right wing that wants to maintain the racial balance of 90% black neighborhoods in New York City.

But, the schools point might have some validity.  My neighborhood is probably 10-12% white, but the public schools are about 0% white.  There is a cultural, economic gulf on schools that tends to divide races very sharply.

The 10 percent white population in your neighborhood is probably disproportionately younger, childless, and new to the area. It would be an interesting test to see how those numbers change going forward.

Anyway, not to toot my own horn or anything, but my hometown in NJ and its schools were actually relatively well integrated- and I didn't realize that was so unusual for a fairly long time.  One less-than-great thing that I did notice, however, was that the honors classes tended to be a lot whiter than the student body as a whole.

Bed-Stuy actually has a decent number of white parents with kids because the real estate market makes it attractive to people who need a decent amount of space.  But, their kids aren't going to attend the local high school because it's a dropout factory.  I don't think anyone goes from my local high school to a real 4 year college.  That will take a long time to change. 
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 12:15:47 AM »

#SOUTHswagg
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 01:35:40 AM »

I don't think anyone goes from my local high school to a real 4 year college.

They're all getting their CADD certificates.

Fourth Wall broken.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies