Is the ACA imploding?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:44:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is the ACA imploding?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is the ACA imploding?  (Read 4215 times)
ajackson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: 0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 10:47:17 PM »

Regardless of whether the law is now imploding functionally (i don't believe that it is), it's already imploded in terms of public opinion.

RCP average has approval of the law at 39-54, which is a far cry from where it was in Nov 2012 and  worse than it was last month. The administration has lost the argument, it's hard to see approval of the law turning around dramatically at this point.

Oh please, we are not even a year into the ACA.

I meant before 2016. If Republicans manage to win the White House in 2016, Obamacare is dead (for better or worse) and this is all moot.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 10:51:10 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2014, 11:14:52 PM by Fmr. President & Senator Polnut »

Regardless of whether the law is now imploding functionally (i don't believe that it is), it's already imploded in terms of public opinion.

RCP average has approval of the law at 39-54, which is a far cry from where it was in Nov 2012 and  worse than it was last month. The administration has lost the argument, it's hard to see approval of the law turning around dramatically at this point.

I meant before 2016. If Republicans manage to win the White House in 2016, Obamacare is dead (for better or worse) and this is all moot.

Because people are stupid ... they support the components of the ACA, but dislike "Obamacare". So I say congratulations to the GOP messaging machine.

If the ACA is still in place in two years, it's going nowhere.

and Yank pointed out, the polling does NOT reflect support for repeal but for reforms.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 11:04:33 PM »

RCP average has approval of the law at 39-54, which is a far cry from where it was in Nov 2012 and  worse than it was last month. The administration has lost the argument, it's hard to see approval of the law turning around dramatically at this point.

Obamacare is here to stay.

We already have several polls that show people don't support a repeal and several aspects of it is already popular. Seriously, no potential GOP president isn't going to be stupid enough to support a repeal(how are you going to sell kicking young adults under 26 from their parents health plans or the return or pre-existing conditions to people?)

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 11:21:25 PM »

I think the GOP has proven in the past decade or so that they couldn't give less of a crap about public opinion, so how would that stop them from repealing it?
ajackson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: 0.17

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 11:47:17 PM »

Obamacare is here to stay.

We already have several polls that show people don't support a repeal and several aspects of it is already popular. Seriously, no potential GOP president isn't going to be stupid enough to support a repeal(how are you going to sell kicking young adults under 26 from their parents health plans or the return or pre-existing conditions to people?)

I don't think anyone is asking for a full repeal and default to the prior health care system. Most Republicans, at least the national figures, are for repeal and replace.

The majority believe the bill is flawed in some way. The debate between mechanisms for achieving that, "repeal and replace" vs modification, is not going to be relevant to the general voting population if the law continues to struggle... the focus will be "who can fix it the fastest and most effectively ?"
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 03:11:14 AM »

The GOP's "Repeal and Replace," last I heard, still doesn't protect people with pre-existing conditions. Simply put, that's never going to fly. Everyone has one pre-existing condition or another, and refusing payment or denying coverage via pre-existing conditions was one of the key mechanisms for abuse by Big Insurance in the old system.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 11:46:12 AM »

The GOP's "Repeal and Replace," last I heard, still doesn't protect people with pre-existing conditions. Simply put, that's never going to fly. Everyone has one pre-existing condition or another, and refusing payment or denying coverage via pre-existing conditions was one of the key mechanisms for abuse by Big Insurance in the old system.

Fixed.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 11:56:02 AM »

Because people are stupid ... they support the components of the ACA, but dislike "Obamacare". So I say congratulations to the GOP messaging machine.

If the ACA is still in place in two years, it's going nowhere.

and Yank pointed out, the polling does NOT reflect support for repeal but for reforms.

The Democratic messaging machine is what made people believe that Obamacare was some sort of unicorn reform without faults. As they've become aware of the provisions, they don't like it. They want the unicorn they were promised.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies