Ryan to meet with Congressional Black Caucus after botched poverty remarks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:51:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Ryan to meet with Congressional Black Caucus after botched poverty remarks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ryan to meet with Congressional Black Caucus after botched poverty remarks  (Read 1893 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2014, 11:36:38 PM »

I don't see a thread about this here, but Ryan's been getting some criticism in recent days over this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/15/paul-ryan-congressional-black-caucus_n_4967285.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ryan says his statement was "inarticulate", and will now meet with the CBC to do some damage control.
fartboy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 02:35:13 AM »

Why do Republicans let this happen to them?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 02:46:00 AM »

You wouldn't see Dan Patrick meeting with the Hispanic Caucus.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 01:15:24 PM »

I didn't find his comments racial at all, I just thought they were condescending.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »

I didn't find his comments racial at all, I just thought they were condescending.

"Inner city", "urban", "ghetto", etc. are right-wing code for "negro".
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 02:19:07 PM »

Well, obviously they're code words, because you can't be blunt these days.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 05:05:24 PM »

Is it possible that people can simply disagree with conservatives without claiming everything is racist?

What *isn't* racist in their minds? How many times is the word going to be used?

Having to walk on eggshells when you have an R after your name, but Joe Biden can get away with talking about Indians at a 7/11.

What a world.
Joshgreen
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 05:12:17 PM »

Is it possible that people can simply disagree with conservatives without claiming everything is racist?

What *isn't* racist in their minds? How many times is the word going to be used?

Having to walk on eggshells when you have an R after your name, but Joe Biden can get away with talking about Indians at a 7/11.

What a world.

When your party has a history of being malicious toward certain ethnic racial groups, you don't get the benefit of the doubt.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 05:15:55 PM »

Well, obviously they're code words, because you can't be blunt these days.

You can't be serious. More whites than blacks are on food stamps. In the slum areas of San Francisco, 80% of the bums on the street are white. 

No Republican should buy into the left's nonsense with this.  They love playing the race card and fundraising off of it.

The left can be outraged, they can say we're wrong, they can say we're stupid, ignorant, don't care, what have you.  I don't know why they see racism where it doesn't exist.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 05:17:01 PM »

I'd say the Democrats have a history of that. What party was KKK member Robert C. Byrd in again?

In what ways are Republicans or have they been "malicious" towards certain ethnic racial groups?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 05:26:32 PM »

"Inner city", "urban", "ghetto", etc. are right-wing code for "negro".

What would he have said if he actually meant "inner city"?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 05:59:44 PM »

Paul Ryan's remark is blatantly racist because he mentioned that inner-cities in particular don't understand the value of work. Poor, unemployed white people don't live in inner-cities. This isn't debatable. What is particularly appalling about these comments is that the unemployment and economic misery experienced by inner-city communities is a direct result of racism. Deindustrialization affected the Black working class first because they were the first to be laid off and they were unable to relocate to new plants because of both explicit and implicit racism. Housing became decrepit because of racist housing policy that sent federal dollars to white-only suburbs while the government did effectively nothing to increase housing stock in poor Black neighborhoods. Add racist "law and order " policies to this that imprison roughly a quarter of Black men at some point and you have the perfect storm of conditions that lead to employment problems.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 06:12:31 PM »

I'd say the Democrats have a history of that. What party was KKK member Robert C. Byrd in again?
Because it's not like he repudiated them or anything!

The Southern Strategy comes to mind. And don't tell me it's a coincidence that pro-segregationist Strom Thurmond died a Republican.
hopper
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 06:46:09 PM »

The Southern Strategy comes to mind. And don't tell me it's a coincidence that pro-segregationist Strom Thurmond died a Republican.
The South was trending Republican since Eisenhower it would have been eventually Republican anyway though maybe not as fast if The Southern Strategy never happened.

Strom Thurmond is dead. Let the guy rest in peace. Can we let the Robert Byrd memory go The guy is dead as well. Let the guy rest in peace.
Joshgreen
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 06:55:08 PM »

The South was trending Republican since Eisenhower it would have been eventually Republican anyway though maybe not as fast if The Southern Strategy never happened.

Strom Thurmond is dead. Let the guy rest in peace. Can we let the Robert Byrd memory go The guy is dead as well. Let the guy rest in peace.

If you actually believe this, you are way dumber than I thought.
hopper
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 07:04:17 PM »

If you actually believe this, you are way dumber than I thought.
Well you didn't put in bold that the "The South was trending Republican since Eisenhower" so you agree with that. Its not dumb actually. The Deep South was still Dem at the state level in the 90's. At the Presidential Level it happened faster because of "The Southern Strategy". You don't think The South would have been Republican eventually anyway? I think you are the one that is incorrect about this anyway.
hopper
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 07:14:21 PM »

Maybe his words were a little inarticulate that's it. I think there are lazy people in every race/ethnicity.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 09:00:33 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2014, 09:04:19 PM by CountryClassSF »

Was Hillary a racist when she discussed "inner city Chicago" in 08 SC debate with Obama/Rezko?

Maybe.......the inner city?

Ryan told the truth and we just can't have that.

So...you're seriously suggesting black people are incarcerated for being black? Why do Detroit and Oakland and St Louis have high crime rates? Is that all racist too, or is it a culture problem? I know facts are stubborn.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 12:15:34 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2014, 12:18:07 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Was Hillary a racist when she discussed "inner city Chicago" in 08 SC debate with Obama/Rezko?

So...you're seriously suggesting black people are incarcerated for being black? Why do Detroit and Oakland and St Louis have high crime rates? Is that all racist too, or is it a culture problem? I know facts are stubborn.

Yes, that is what I am suggesting. This isn't controversial.

African-Americans are arrested at six time the rate of Whites. If you think this is due to socio-economic factors which affect behavior, I have a bridge to sell you.

Hillary Clinton was certainly making a racist claim in that debate. There's a reason why her campaign was widely derided as using racist dogwhistles to appeal to white working class voters after the 08 SC debate and it certainly wasn't due to whatever inane conservative trope you believe about the media...
retromike22
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 12:44:49 AM »

African-Americans are arrested at six time the rate of Whites. If you think this is due to socio-economic factors which affect behavior, I have a bridge to sell you.

Hillary Clinton was certainly making a racist claim in that debate. There's a reason why her campaign was widely derided as using racist dogwhistles to appeal to white working class voters after the 08 SC debate and it certainly wasn't due to whatever inane conservative trope you believe about the media...

Those graphs don't show that they are arrested for being black, they show that blacks commit these crimes at a higher rate than whites.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 01:07:20 AM »

Those graphs don't show that they are arrested for being black, they show that blacks commit these crimes at a higher rate than whites.

If you think that white people smoke 1/7th as much weed as blacks, you're an idiot.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 01:30:45 AM »

Everything Hillary did in the primaries was racist. I mean, to oppose the first "viable" mixed presidential candidate was indeed racist, but to oppose the first truly viable female presidential candidate wasn't sexist at all. Double standards, you know.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 01:32:00 AM »

If the black incarceration rate were simply a result of racism, why has crime overall gone down as the incarceration rate has gone up?

Ask those Duke LaCrosse Players in 2006 how white privilege worked out for them when they were falsely accused of a crime.

I'm *for* sentence reforms and looking at everything. Let's apply the same rules to everyone and not play the race card.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 02:36:04 AM »

Paul Ryan does not have a clear history of making racist remarks so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here.  That said, I've seen right-wing politicians make these dog whistles for two decades now.  We'll have to watch his behavior more carefully in the future.

It is both amusing and infuriating how myopic some conservatives on this site are about this issue.  Why do you suppose so few blacks, Asians and Latinos vote for your party?  Are we all just "brainwashed?"
hopper
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 01:02:20 PM »

Paul Ryan does not have a clear history of making racist remarks so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here.  That said, I've seen right-wing politicians make these dog whistles for two decades now.  We'll have to watch his behavior more carefully in the future.

It is both amusing and infuriating how myopic some conservatives on this site are about this issue.  Why do you suppose so few blacks, Asians and Latinos vote for your party?  Are we all just "brainwashed?"
Because we look at people as people and not their race. There are a lot of reason why Asians, Latino's and Blacks vote for the Dems. I have listed those in the past but I don't have time to re-list those reasons now.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies