Fred Phelps Dying
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:03:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Fred Phelps Dying
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Fred Phelps Dying  (Read 3288 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2014, 01:32:18 PM »

Also interesting that as conservative as the primitive baptists are, there are also primitive baptits universalists the opposite of the extreme Calvinism of the Westboro church.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2014, 02:30:38 PM »

He'll be surprised what he finds when he gets to the other side.

He'll get the same afterlife as everyone else (which is to say none).

Yes yes, you're an edgy atheist, we know.

It's not 'edgy' to say that when you die, you die. He'll be remembered for being a disgrace to the species for a while. Then he'll be forgotten.  That's the biggest f-ck you you can get.

Not everyone is an "enlightened" post-religious person.  Maybe it's not the case where you live, but around here, denying the very existence of any afterlife at all still counts as edgy.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2014, 02:58:54 PM »

Maybe he will be reincarnated as a gay
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2014, 03:00:29 PM »

He'll be surprised what he finds when he gets to the other side.

He'll get the same afterlife as everyone else (which is to say none).

Yes yes, you're an edgy atheist, we know.

It's not 'edgy' to say that when you die, you die. He'll be remembered for being a disgrace to the species for a while. Then he'll be forgotten.  That's the biggest f-ck you you can get.

Not everyone is an "enlightened" post-religious person.  Maybe it's not the case where you live, but around here, denying the very existence of any afterlife at all still counts as edgy.

'Edgy', 'Englightened'; there go those bunny ears again Smiley There are some people who simply don't believe in an afterlife. There's nothing particularly stand out about it as a concept, nor is anyone here who are stating that Phelps is simply dead, end of story claiming to be philosophically superior.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2014, 03:17:44 PM »

RIP to a sad, angry old man.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2014, 03:39:46 PM »

I never paid a bit of mind to him, honestly. He's great proof that the funny crazies (Jesus Miranda?) are a lot more entertaining than the hateful crazies, and he was surely among the bitterest and angriest of the nuts.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2014, 04:47:12 PM »

We all go sometimes.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2014, 05:41:16 PM »

'Edgy', 'Englightened'; there go those bunny ears again Smiley

Well, Eostre is an appropriate time for bunny ears.  Still, you're more likely Scotlightened. Wink

There are some people who simply don't believe in an afterlife. There's nothing particularly stand out about it as a concept, nor is anyone here who are stating that Phelps is simply dead, end of story claiming to be philosophically superior.

It's pretty self evident that there are those who don't believe that there is an afterlife.  Still, inserting that opinion here does come across to me as a slightly edgy diversion of a thread whose mentions of the afterlife were primarily aimed at the ironic point that assuming the usual Christian view of the afterlife is correct, Phelps is unlikely to get the afterlife he was hoping for.  Pointing out non-Christian views of the subject which, even if correct, would hardly be an ironic result, indicates to me that the original mentioner here was likely thinking that opinion is sufficiently philosophically superior as to warrant inserting it here despite the non-ironic result if he were correct.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2014, 05:56:53 PM »

'Edgy', 'Englightened'; there go those bunny ears again Smiley

Well, Eostre is an appropriate time for bunny ears.  Still, you're more likely Scotlightened. Wink

There are some people who simply don't believe in an afterlife. There's nothing particularly stand out about it as a concept, nor is anyone here who are stating that Phelps is simply dead, end of story claiming to be philosophically superior.

It's pretty self evident that there are those who don't believe that there is an afterlife.  Still, inserting that opinion here does come across to me as a slightly edgy diversion of a thread whose mentions of the afterlife were primarily aimed at the ironic point that assuming the usual Christian view of the afterlife is correct, Phelps is unlikely to get the afterlife he was hoping for.  Pointing out non-Christian views of the subject which, even if correct, would hardly be an ironic result, indicates to me that the original mentioner here was likely thinking that opinion is sufficiently philosophically superior as to warrant inserting it here despite the non-ironic result if he were correct.

Actually the thread was about Fred Phelps being ill and peoples opinions on it. I know Religion and Philosophy is usually a back slapping affair these days but there is diversity in opinion.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2014, 06:22:20 PM »

Our church's seminary intern stated from the pulpit Sunday that she and her partner were praying for Phelps in deference to the Bible teaching us to love our enemies.

That is all.

That seems almost as bad those cheering his death.  Not the praying, but the publicly calling attention to it.
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would say it is a clergymember's duty to educate their flock, by word and deed. She succeeded.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2014, 07:54:05 PM »

Our church's seminary intern stated from the pulpit Sunday that she and her partner were praying for Phelps in deference to the Bible teaching us to love our enemies.

That is all.

That seems almost as bad those cheering his death.  Not the praying, but the publicly calling attention to it.

I would say it is a clergymember's duty to educate their flock, by word and deed. She succeeded.

Truly, there is a tension between the need to bear witness to one's faith and the need to not be doing it in a way that focuses attention on oneself instead of God.  Is it common (either for herself, or for your church in general) for current events to be weaved into the pulpit message?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2014, 07:57:33 PM »

That is all.

Truly, there is a tension between the need to bear witness to one's faith and the need to not be doing it in a way that focuses attention on oneself instead of God.  Is it common (either for herself, or for your church in general) for current events to be weaved into the pulpit message?

I fail to see how the Gospel can be applied to modern day if current events are ignored.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2014, 09:26:08 PM »

I fail to see how the Gospel can be applied to modern day if current events are ignored.

I see the Gospel message as being timeless.  While using current news events to illustrate that message is one means of doing so, it is hardly the only way.  The preaching styles at the churches I go to tend to draw more on personal experience and/or the RCL verses for that Sunday.  I suppose Phelps could be used to expand upon John 3:17 which was part of the verses for last Sunday, but the love our enemies meme wasn't part of that set of verses.  I certainly would hope that Phelps' hate hadn't been so significant to the intern that he was part of her personal experience.

"For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17 (NIV)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies