1880 U.S. Presidential Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:51:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1880 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Heated.
Vice President Cassius Clay (Union-Kentucky)/Treasury Secretary Arthur Sewall (Union-Maine)

Governor Benjamin Harrison (Whig-Indiana)/Columnist John O'Sullivan (Whig-New York)

Activist Walter M. Gibson (Radical-Nevada)/Governor Charles Van Wyck (Radical-Nebraska)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: 1880 U.S. Presidential Election  (Read 1591 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2014, 11:10:57 AM »

The 1880 conventions would lack the excitement and closeness of the 1876 election. Vice President Cassius Clay, though not a particularly conspicuous figure in the Tilden administration, was nominated decidedly on the first ballot. Though claiming to continue with Tilden's agenda, he made many of those who supported him uneasy during his acceptance speech. "We must continue with the policies of tight budgets, peace on the continent, and the end to patronage. However, to have a truly prosperous America, we must also cease the paralyzing influence that America's railroad trusts have on our government." The remark was met with some rancor, but the convention eventually settled. To balance out some of Clay's more radical views, the convention selected Arthur Sewall as his runningmate.

The Whig convention initially held more promise. John O'Sullivan, a once renowned newspaper editorialist, delivered a fiery speech at the convention floor. "There are still American citizens exploring the Great Frontier, shielded from barbaric Indians and bigamists with only their own spades and rifles. It is unconscionable for us not to provide them statehood, protection, and representation in Congress," O'Sullivan would bellow. Denis Kearney, a long-time Governor of California, would take a slightly different tack. "While we give great priority to settling new lands, we forget upon their general welfare after statehood. There are still injustices to be dealt with in the East, in the post-frontier America." Keaney's remarks were met with less applause. However, for all the dramatic flair and theater, the convention would settle on Governor Benjamin Harrison, uanimously. The convention, moved by O'Sullivan's speech, selected him as Harrison's Vice-Presidential candidate.

The Radical Party had received the most interest, given its renewed viability, but also had some growing pains to adjust to. Many Radicals were expecting Walter Gibson, the hero of 1876, to be nominated with little contention. However, balloting initially showed a deadlock between David Davis, Van Wyck (both of whom were Sumnerites) and John Lee, an adherent of both camps. Some speculate that the Radicals were bearish on the idea of Gibson, and that his nomination would make him the least in favor of civil service reform, given his indifference on the issue. However, with some arm-twisting and horse-trading, Walter Gibson would narrowly secure the nomination, hand-picking Charles Van Wyck to consolidate the party and make a play at Nebraska.

Three days.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »

Clay/Sewall
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 02:26:21 PM »

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 06:15:29 PM »

Gibson/Van Wyck. Let us have a Radical president at last. Though I would not be too opposed to a Cassius Clay administration.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 07:16:53 PM »

Muhammad Ali is running for president? Huh
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 07:22:31 PM »

This Cassius Clay, I think.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 08:44:19 PM »

Assuming you're not being sarcastic, I was hoping you'd know your famous abolitionists, especially one with ties to The Great Compromiser himself.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 09:33:31 PM »

WI: Clay/Foreman.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 10:35:26 AM »

If we could elect fictional characters, Rocky Balboa/Apollo Creed.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 11:02:10 AM »

Hey, Zioneer, how about we strike a deal? If Clay wins this, we can field a combined Gibson/Some Whig ticket in 1884, thus allowing both parties to get a President (Gibson will die in early 1888). Does that sound good?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 11:41:05 AM »

Hey, Zioneer, how about we strike a deal? If Clay wins this, we can field a combined Gibson/Some Whig ticket in 1884, thus allowing both parties to get a President (Gibson will die in early 1888). Does that sound good?

If these results hold up, I'll allow it in '84.

A Radical victory would be a nice sending-off present to Zioneer.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 11:58:33 AM »

Hmm... sure. I'd be up for that. But I'm still holding out for the Radicals winning.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 02:20:04 PM »

Yesss, a tie!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 02:56:16 PM »

In the event of a House vote, let it be known that I will strongly write my Congressman to tell him to support the Radicals.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 03:39:07 PM »

In the event of a House vote, let it be known that I will strongly write my Congressman to tell him to support the Radicals.

Agreed.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 12:18:47 PM »

Well, I suppose the real fun begins now.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 02:53:38 PM »

Mormon President!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 06:33:19 PM »

What happened to the primaries/conventions??? Sad
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 06:47:47 PM »

What happened to the primaries/conventions??? Sad

They happened. Harrison was nominated unanimously, Clay was nominated unanimously, there wasn't much turnout on the Radical side.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 07:18:45 PM »

Crap, I was confident that Gibson would stay one vote ahead. Well, off to the House we go. I'm pulling for Gibson, of course. I'll take Sewall as VP; anyone but O'Sullivan.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 08:33:31 PM »

Crap, I was confident that Gibson would stay one vote ahead. Well, off to the House we go. I'm pulling for Gibson, of course. I'll take Sewall as VP; anyone but O'Sullivan.

It would have probably gone to the House anyway. And O'Sullivan's not even in the running - the Senate picks from the top two VP candidates. Also, since we don't have to do any of that unity ticket stuff, I suggest nominating John Ingalls for VP in 1884, so he'll become President when Gibson dies.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 11:10:50 PM »

It would have probably gone to the House anyway. And O'Sullivan's not even in the running - the Senate picks from the top two VP candidates. Also, since we don't have to do any of that unity ticket stuff, I suggest nominating John Ingalls for VP in 1884, so he'll become President when Gibson dies.

Sounds good to me; if I'm a hypothetical Senator in this situation, then I'd nominate Ingalls then and have Sewall now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies