I work at Walmart AMA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:30:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I work at Walmart AMA
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I work at Walmart AMA  (Read 980 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2014, 11:38:17 AM »

I've had the job for six months now. At first I was embarrassed to work there so I tried to avoid talking about it but honestly I really enjoy it most days. Ask me anything!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »

Are you beaten every morning before work to keep you in line?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 12:11:08 PM »

How bad is the turnover? Is the turnover mostly due to employees with silly expectations or dickish management?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 12:26:39 PM »

My deepest, deepest condolences.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 01:25:01 PM »

Does your Walmart have that horribly abusive fish department?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 02:05:42 PM »

Is it true the entire store is rearranged on a regular basis so people are forced to walk around more?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 02:07:23 PM »

Are using the words "union" and "organize" grounds for immediate firing?

(Just channeling TRUE LEFTIST energy. Wink )
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 03:44:55 PM »

Are there any cute girls that come in or are they all fatties like the website the People of Walmart show?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 03:56:38 PM »

Oł sont les neiges d'antan ?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 04:48:28 PM »

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 05:47:26 PM »

Where are the snows of yesteryear?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 06:07:59 PM »

Oh, stop it now. It's like you're deliberately preying on my insecurities! Tongue
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 06:08:57 PM »

Is Walmart 420 friendly?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 08:01:24 PM »

I've had the job for six months now. At first I was embarrassed to work there so I tried to avoid talking about it but honestly I really enjoy it most days. Ask me anything!

Jesus, you're like a superhero or something.  Who'd'a thunk it?  At first I saw your post and I thought, "'Ask me anything'  Seriously?  WTF?"  

Then I saw the posts in the thread, and I realize that working at walmart is like being an astronaut or an NFL football player or world-class prostitute.  Probably even cooler.  You have guys quoting from one of the most celebrated French poets of the Renaissance.  Hats off to you, man.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 08:08:08 PM »

Where did Sam Walton bury his hash?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 12:01:15 PM »

Are there really such people like in People of Walmart?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 03:55:19 AM »

Shortly after I posted this my laptop battery died so that's why I'm only responding now

Are you beaten every morning before work to keep you in line?

Nope, if this was a thing I'd probably be the one administering the beatings

How bad is the turnover? Is the turnover mostly due to employees with silly expectations or dickish management?

Turnover is probably my store's worst problem: it's in a nice neighborhood so most employees are either students or retired. This sort of staffing issue forces management to be more lenient than they otherwise might be. Most people quit just because they get tired of it; management isn't too demanding most of the time.

Does your Walmart have that horribly abusive fish department?

How does one abuse fish? We have fish tanks if that's what you're asking about, but they're nice and clean. Before we had a remodel they were nasty though. When it was time to replace them we gave away all the fish that were left and then I had to vacuum all the water out of the tanks with a shopvac.

Is it true the entire store is rearranged on a regular basis so people are forced to walk around more?

Stores generally get a remodel every five years or so, but besides that most things stay in the same location. This is why the sale features in the big alleys are usually nowhere near their respective departments, though. It's also why the necessities you always need to buy are usually in the very back of the store. If you come in just for milk and eggs at my store you have to walk past sixteen aisles of groceries.

Are using the words "union" and "organize" grounds for immediate firing?

(Just channeling TRUE LEFTIST energy. Wink )

No but if I do hear people throwing those words around I'm supposed to call a dedicated "labor relations" hotline at corporate ASAP; I don't know what happens at that point but I doubt it's pretty. As a member of management I have had training sessions specifically dedicated to learning how to most effectively dissuade employees from joining a union without violating Federal labor laws in the process. "Walmart is not anti union, we are pro associate" "I don't think we need a union representing us when the Open Door Policy allows us to bring concerns up the corporate ladder!", "my dad was in a union and they took half his paycheck" etc; I am supposed to phrase things as facts, opinions, and experiences (I was taught this with the ironic acronym FOE).

Are there any cute girls that come in or are they all fatties like the website the People of Walmart show?

As I said above it's a nicer neighborhood. Some riffraff is inevitable but it's a surprisingly attractive clientele. Plenty of cute girls. Lots of soccer moms who are always flirting with me.

Who is Spain? Why is Hitler?

Ballade des dames du temps jadis

Urine tests mandatory for new hires but besides that I've never seen anyone drug tested unless you file a Workers Comp claim. There's a bit of subtle encouragement to not file Workers Comp claims anyway though (the $2k the store has to spend to file the claim is taken directly out of everyone's bonuses) so you have an excuse to not get tested even if that comes up. In reality I'd guesstimate that two thirds of the employees would fail a drug test at any given time. There are 18 people in the management ranks above myself at the store and I know that at least 11 smoke (probably 13 or 14).

Jesus, you're like a superhero or something.  Who'd'a thunk it?  At first I saw your post and I thought, "'Ask me anything'  Seriously?  WTF?"  

Then I saw the posts in the thread, and I realize that working at walmart is like being an astronaut or an NFL football player or world-class prostitute.  Probably even cooler.  You have guys quoting from one of the most celebrated French poets of the Renaissance.  Hats off to you, man.

i love you angus

Are there really such people like in People of Walmart?

Yeah those people are real. They aren't the typical customer but I'd estimate I see at least two or three "People of Walmart" worthy people each day
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 06:01:43 AM »

"Walmart is not anti union, we are pro associate" "I don't think we need a union representing us when the Open Door Policy allows us to bring concerns up the corporate ladder!", "my dad was in a union and they took half his paycheck" etc.

lol Home Depot's propaganda is like this verbatim, plus "Unions are outdated and exist solely to collect money to further their lifespan" and "Don't talk to organizers, they will show up at your house unannounced in the middle of the night!!"
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 08:12:03 AM »

It's also why the necessities you always need to buy are usually in the very back of the store. If you come in just for milk and eggs at my store you have to walk past sixteen aisles of groceries.

I can use the exercise anyway.  Not that I buy milk at Walmart anyway.  I use little enough of it that I buy milk by the quart and Walmart doesn't have the store brand milk in that size, just in the half gallon and gallon (at least around here that's the case).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »

It's also why the necessities you always need to buy are usually in the very back of the store. If you come in just for milk and eggs at my store you have to walk past sixteen aisles of groceries.

I can use the exercise anyway.  Not that I buy milk at Walmart anyway.  I use little enough of it that I buy milk by the quart and Walmart doesn't have the store brand milk in that size, just in the half gallon and gallon (at least around here that's the case).
Yeah... they didn't design it this way with people like you in mind, Ern.  Wink

You were never going to fall for it.

Here they tend to always have milk on sale at the gas station for $3.25/gallon. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 11:45:24 AM »

yo BK I'm at the Walmart distribution plant in Arcadia hmu
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend