Idaho Statesman:Otter signs campus guns bill into law
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:10:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Idaho Statesman:Otter signs campus guns bill into law
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Idaho Statesman:Otter signs campus guns bill into law  (Read 968 times)
Incipimus iterum
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2014, 04:46:41 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 05:28:04 PM »

Darn, I was hoping this was about an actual otter.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 05:52:40 PM »

Actual otters are much better than the governor of Idaho
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 06:07:25 PM »

Just what we need, another Virginia Tech. Colleges can be very confrontational and all it takes is one fight with two people on the campus to result in one or more gun deaths. The permit itself is good to keep only those 21 and over from having them and require criminal background and mental health checks and it's good they're restricting the guns to only certain places on campus, but there's still no need for why anyone besides law enforcement officials in the city/campus police should have guns on them especially in classrooms.

I go to college and I don't feel the need to "defend" myself not because it's illegal to have a gun on campus, but it's something called trust in your peers and naturally being a good person. Besides, if the worst situation happened here, we would be protected by our campus security and would go under lockdown, so again, no need to have a gun on campus unless you're a cop. Otter should be ashamed of himself and I hope Fulcher primaries him since that's our only chance of getting this old, right-wing lunatic out. Fulcher isn't any better when it comes to guns and the Constitution, but it would have to do. It is Idaho, afterall.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 06:18:38 PM »

Just what we need, another Virginia Tech. Colleges can be very confrontational and all it takes is one fight with two people on the campus to result in one or more gun deaths. The permit itself is good to keep only those 21 and over from having them and require criminal background and mental health checks and it's good they're restricting the guns to only certain places on campus, but there's still no need for why anyone besides law enforcement officials in the city/campus police should have guns on them especially in classrooms.

I go to college and I don't feel the need to "defend" myself not because it's illegal to have a gun on campus, but it's something called trust in your peers and naturally being a good person. Besides, if the worst situation happened here, we would be protected by our campus security and would go under lockdown, so again, no need to have a gun on campus unless you're a cop. Otter should be ashamed of himself and I hope Fulcher primaries him since that's our only chance of getting this old, right-wing lunatic out. Fulcher isn't any better when it comes to guns and the Constitution, but it would have to do. It is Idaho, afterall.

I thought you were like 14.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 06:37:15 PM »

The campus community around here (ODU) can only wish they could have the kind of trust in peers and faith in campus security that you describe.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 06:42:19 PM »

I'm against the bill, but good God, do you really think a mass murderer is going to stop for a "no guns on campus" regulation?!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 06:46:15 PM »

You should include the link to the original news article.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 06:48:02 PM »

Weren't there security guards at columbine? Look at how well that worked out. Also 3 armed students stopped the Appalachian school of law shooting.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 07:19:14 PM »

Hopefully, all teachers will try to move in other states or strike against that threat of their security. Any student could attack a teacher giving them a bad mark.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 07:31:17 PM »

I would think that otters would rather have people with their guns sitting in class than out hunting.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 09:10:11 PM »

Butch Otter just declared open season on every college campus in Idaho. The NRA's policies don't make you safer, it only makes you more likely to be murdered.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 10:12:41 PM »

You should include the link to the original news article.

I was about to say this.

Meanwhile these Otters seem delightfully unpeturbed:

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 02:14:30 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2014, 02:19:13 PM by Reaganfan »

Butch Otter just declared open season on every college campus in Idaho. The NRA's policies don't make you safer, it only makes you more likely to be murdered.

Be realistic. Just because people carry guns doesn't mean they're ruthless killers. In fact, I'd feel safer in a classroom of armed good hearted citizens than being a sitting duck and having a "lockdown" which is code for hide under a desk and await death.

Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »

Nice hyperbole.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 05:58:34 PM »

I thought you were like 14.
Nope, 19. You're probably about as shocked as I was when I found out X was 22. Tongue

The campus community around here (ODU) can only wish they could have the kind of trust in peers and faith in campus security that you describe.
In the case that there was a gunman who entered the campus, there's not necessarily a trigger detector or anything like that, but there are video cameras and the campus security are in the same building and area that most classrooms are and there's enough of them that I think you can feel safe. There have been no reported gun instances either and the most I've heard about so far while here is a stabbing victim and a number of burglaries and vandalism charges, so trust is pretty good. In fact, I accidentally misplaced my iPhone one day last semester and when I went to the campus security to see if anyone dropped it off, they said they did and I verified that it was mine.

I'm against the bill, but good God, do you really think a mass murderer is going to stop for a "no guns on campus" regulation?!
I wouldn't say that because anyone, student or non-student, could come onto campus and start shooting which is why I recommend we place some metal detectors on colleges out there, but that's another debate for another time. Anyways, unless we did that, it would be pretty hard still to avoid gun violence on campus unless we adjust for the situation accordingly with proper regulations like lockdown drills and campus securities, and clearly allowing anyone besides those who have experience and complete trust (the security), to carry guns will just lead to more gun violence. Hell, I would be freaking scared if they allowed guns on my campus. Drinking and smoking is allowed (in designated areas) and just by saying that, something could go horribly wrong fast.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 08:45:08 PM »

now all idaho has to do is getting a campus and they're in business
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 10:20:22 PM »

Good for him. It's a shame he signed the AG gag law though. Roll Eyes
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 11:32:20 PM »

Virginia Tech had this law?  I thought it had a firearms ban?  Places where they are banned tends to be where those types of shootings occur.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »

Firearms bans are weak against premeditated shootings, but they're very effective at stopping spur-of-the-moment crimes of passion, which are much more common.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 04:14:13 PM »

Lol NRA, lol gun nuts.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 04:17:12 PM »

If only one could laugh about these lunatics...
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 05:44:21 PM »

Be realistic. Just because people carry guns doesn't mean they're ruthless killers. In fact, I'd feel safer in a classroom of armed good hearted citizens than being a sitting duck and having a "lockdown" which is code for hide under a desk and await death.

Loaded weapons have discharged  without being handled.

If there is one good thing to say about this -- outrageous laws often lead to dramatic shifts in the politics of the afflicted area.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies