With a Little bit of Lenience
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:46:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: With a Little bit of Lenience  (Read 2202 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »
« edited: June 08, 2017, 02:23:57 AM by Apocrypha »

Those of you who know me better know how much of a fan I am of the novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms. So, while not History in the purest sense, I was recently inspired to do a little fanfic regarding the series.

I claim no ownership of the series, nor of any characters mentioned in the following posts. All credit goes to www.threekingdoms.com Smiley

Chapter 1: Wang Yun Feigns Mercy to Dong Zhuo's Remnants, Jia Xu Sees Through The Ruse (191 AD)

Just when Wang Yun was about to cast out the messenger, Huangfu Song interjected. "Granted, Niu Fu and his lot were Dong Zhuo's accessories. However, during Dong Zhuo's reign, to defy was to die. Surely their crimes were committed under duress, and they are deserving of amnesty?"

Wang Yun was taken aback. After a moment's thought, he turned to the messenger and said, "Due to Commandant Song's intercession, I will be granting Li Jue, Zhang Ji, Niu Fu, and Guo Si amnesty for the atrocities they committed under the villain Dong Zhuo's tyranny."

The messenger nodded, and made his way out.

Wang Yun promptly turned to Huangfu Song. "Why do you wish to free these traitors? With our momentum, we could purge the land of all this evil," said Wang Yun.

"Despite most of the fighting, things have been comparatively tame on the western front. Niu Fu and his cohort of Liang troops number in the thousands, and are ferocious warriors. If we do not make peace with them, something terrible could befall the Emperor," said Huangfu Song.

Wang Yun was apprehensive. "Do not worry, the traitors can always be dealt with later. I have a plan in mind," said Huangfu Song.

Eventually the messenger returned to Shanxi, where Niu Fu and the three awaited him.

"Minister Wang has agreed to extend amnesty to us," said the messenger, with glee. The four generals rejoiced, and drank in merriment. However, their adviser Jia Xu did not share their exuberance. After several hours of rowdy drunkedness, each of the generals went to bed. It was at that point that Jia Xu had followed Niu Fu to his room.

"Jia Xu, what could you want at this hour?" groaned a drunken Niu Fu. "It's just that I do not share the optimism of you generals. Are things really all that they seem with Wang Yun?" asked Jia Xu.

"What do you mean?" asked Niu Fu. "Well, there are rumors that Minister Cai was executed for weeping and prostrating at Dong Zhuo's corpse. In addition, Wang Yun had all of Dong Zhuo's clan in Meiwo executed. You, Niu Fu, are married to Dong Zhuo's daughter and are regarded as family. Surely he would like to purge you and your wife as well?" said Jia Xu.

Jia Xu's analysis resonated with Niu Fu. "That bastard! But what can we do?" said Niu Fu. "For now, we must sit back and watch the situation unfold. If Wang Yun shows signs of moving toward Shanxi, we should fortify our position. If he moves toward warlords once in the Coalition, we can capitalize on the weakness in Changan and seize the Emperor. Thus, either way we shall be protected," said Jia Xu.

"That is sound advice. But are the others going to handle it?" asked Niu Fu.

"Certainly there are suspicions amongst them," said Jia Xu. "However, there is no need to confirm them. Have Li Jue and Zhang Ji fortify Nanan, in the event that Ma Teng tries to move against us."

Niu Fu nodded, and then held a conference the next day, with Li jue, Guo Si, and Zhang Ji present. "As you are all aware, Minister Wang was gracious enough to spare us. While this threat has been averted, we are far from secure. There is little doubt that Ma Teng would wish to take advantage of our benighted state," said Niu Fu.

"What can we do?" asked Li Jue. "I will impart one-thousand crack troops to you and Zhang Ji. Venture out to western Yong, and try to recruit the local populace to our cause. Then make up fortifications around Nanan and the peripheral areas. I will station the remainder of my forces in Tian Shui, in case there is conflict" Li Jue agreed, and departed for Yong with Zhang Ji, with Fan Chou and Yang Feng as their deputies.

Soon after they began to seek out young men who would join up. While reviled in most of China, Dong Zhuo still had the admiration of much of the Liang region. Many were eager to join, and Li Jue soon had a force of thirty-thousand. He spoke to his officers, and asked what the next course of action ought to be. "We have a healthy force, but the Xiliang forces are many. It would be better to buckle down here, for now," said Zhang Ji.

However, one advisor had a different idea. "The Art of War cautions against delay. Instead, we should send Zhang Ji to ocupy Longxi, which is just twenty-five miles north of here. Meanwhile, we can put our efforts toward strengthening Nanan's walls, in case Ma Teng decides to move upon us." The advisor was a young man by the name of Zhong Yao. Zhong Yao was the grandson of Zhong Hao, a scholar.

"It sounds dangerous to divide our troops in the face of a stronger enemy," said Zhang Ji. "That may be so, but what if Ma Teng captures the city first? That would be lost ground. In the event that Ma Teng lays siege to the city, our troops here at Nanan could flank the army and break the siege," responded Zhong Yao.

Zhang Ji and Li Jue agreed with Zhong Yao's assessment, and Zhang Ji was sent to encamp at Longxi with a force of seven-thousand.

Arriving at Longxi, the populace was receptive when they heard it was a native of Liang. Zhang Ji was greeted wih much fanfare, and adoration. Upwards of an additional two-thousand joined, though most of them young and inexperienced men. By now, he had a force of nine-thousand.

Surveying the city of Longxi, Zhang Ji noted that the city was in a good position for defending, but lacked proper fortifications. Zhang Ji ordered his men to begin erecting barriers around Longxi, in the form of sharpened branches and earthen walls.

Ma Teng would soon receive news of this in Xiliang. A messenger rushed into his camp, to give him a hasty report. "There are reports that Zhang Ji and his men are setting up fortifications in Longxi, and recruiting men to his cause."

Ma Teng was distraught upon hearing this news. "Wang Yun has killed the snake, only to take place of the serpent coiled around the fowl's nest? I cannot believe this."

"Brother, I am also upset with the situation. However, before we act, perhaps you should write to Wang Yun personally? This seems unusual," said Han Sui. Ma Teng agreed, and hours later, drafted a missive:

"Wang Yun, I have long known you to be a loyal servant of the Han court. Alone, you did a service of the nation comparable to Yi Yin. However, since having been exalted to protector of the Emperor, you seem to have forsaken the principles of virtue. Not only have you pardoned Li Jue and Niu Fu, some of the worst accessories to Dong Zhuo's tyranny, but you have also colluded with them? Why would troops be assembling near Xiliang, but out of some vendetta towards the Coalition? Such a state of affairs makes me worry for the Han."

With tears in his eyes, Ma Teng ordered the letter to be sent.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 11:13:36 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2017, 02:26:45 AM by Apocrypha »

Chapter 2: Ma Teng Resolves To Punish A Traitor, Yang Feng Tries To Break A Siege (191 AD)

Wang Yun would receive the letter a week later.

"I cannot believe that Ma Teng thinks of me so!" he exclaimed, clenching the letter in his hands.

He turned to Huangfu Song, who had been at his side. "We should have eliminated these miscreants when we purged the court.  Now, the country thinks that I am in league with the traitors," said Wang Yun.

"To the contrary, this letter is a godsend," said Huangfu Song. "Ma Teng still has respect for the Emperor, and is displeased with Li Jue's presence in Liang. We can join hands with him and bring about Li Jue's end once and for all, with this."

Wang Yun was nonplussed. "What do you mean?" he asked.

"Simple. Write back to Ma Teng promising our support, and together we can crush Li Jue in a vise," said Huangfu Song.

However, another man present in the room was opposed. "The time to eliminate Li Jue has passed. We have recognized his surrender and granted him amnesty. How could we now collude to have him killed? This would undermine the credibility of the emperor, and yourself. It would discourage rebels to surrender, and unsettle the faith of those still loyal to the court."

The speaker was Shisun Rui, an important minister in the court. "If you do this, you will bring ruin upon yourself," he continued.

Huangfu Song was in disagreement. "Nonsense. Li Jue has been marshalling troops surreptitiously, occupying cities without edict. He is acting provocatively toward Ma Teng. His actions are rebellious. To do all of this after being pardoned demonstrates that he is beyond repentance," said Huangfu Song.

"But how do we go about defeating him?" asked Wang Yun.

"Simple. Inevitably, there will be conflict between Ma Teng and Niu Fu. Regardless of the outcome, we can send an army of men under the pretext that they are reinforcements, and then overwhelm them," said Huangfu Song. Wang Yun considered it for a moment, before responding, "Huangfu Song, you may have just saved the nation!

However, we cannot act without edict. I must speak with the Emperor on this matter.

And so, Wang Yun made his way toward the Emperor's palace.

"Minister Wang, he who has purged the court of cancer," Emperor Xian said in greeting. "What brings you to my palace?"

"There is a matter of grave importance, that I am here to petition Your Majesty about," said Wang Yun. "The memories we have of Dong Zhuo's decadence and tyranny are as fresh as the bodies submerged in Luo Yang. His atrocities will be written of for centuries on end. However, despite tearing out the heart of the foul creature, his arms and legs still move, in the form of Niu Fu, Li Jue, and the rest of their cabal. We ask the Emperor for a secret edict to complete the cleansing of the land."

"Niu Fu and Li Jue were chief enablers of Dong Zhuo's wanton destruction. For as long as they are alive, I can not sleep peacefully."

Wang Yun was most pleased with this news. He bade a servant to fetch him an inkstone and paper, and he drafted a response to Ma Teng.

"Nothing could be further from the truth. I wished to smite this band of rats in one clean sweep amongst Dong Zhuo, but they were too many. Such an action would have jeopardized the Emperor, causing him to be passed from one pair of blood-soaked hands to the next. Rather, it is the opinion of your humble Minister that Niu Fu should be eradicated, and the court would aid such an action."

A messenger was sent with the letter, and was ordered to travel to Ma Teng's camp posthaste.

Weeks later, Ma Teng received the message. He read the letter, only to remain every bit as vexed as before.

"The minister grants amnesty to those scoundrels, only to petition me to raise arms against them months later. Is he merely trying to pit warlord against warlord, in an effort to eliminate any credible threats to his own power?" asked Ma Teng.

"Minister Wang has acted dutifully to The Emperor, and only has its best intentions in mind," said the messenger.

Ma Teng nodded. "Surely you travelled through Yong to deliver this message. What did you see?" asked Ma Teng.

"On my way here, I saw fortifications, and heard word that Niu Fu and his lot were trying to recruit troops. There has been quite an effort to bolster Longxi," said the messenger.

"I was wrong to have doubted Wang Yun this whole time!" exclaimed Ma Teng, and he hastened to reward the messenger.

Ma Teng assembled his men, before personally journeying to Han Sui.

"Brother, I am marching on Yong to smash the remnants of Dong Zhuo's miscreants. I ask that you be vigilant, and use your forces to protect Liang from any potential threats," said Ma Teng.

Han Sui merely bowed, and bid Ma Teng farewell.

Ma Teng ventured back to his camp, and marshalled his forces - some thirty thousand troops in all, and began to march towards Yong.

Reports of this would reach Zhang Ji in due time, who was most disconcerted. "Surely we would be crushed by such a force. Better to take up defenses in Longxi." he said.

However, Zhong Yao, who had accompanied him to Longxi, thought otherwise. "To not even give battle would be a sign of weakness. Secondly, Longxi is not equipped to withstand a protracted siege. Instead, confront Ma Teng and see how our men fare. If worse comes to worst, we can ask for help from Li Jue," said Zhong Yao.

Zhang Ji thought this was sound advice, and marched his men forward to meet Ma Teng.

Not long after marching, Zhang Ji saw Ma Teng's army, with its banners and soldiers. "Why do you march on our city?" asked Zhang Ji, to Ma Teng.

"I have orders from the emperor to smite traitors. Your acting as an accomplice of Dong Zhuo's transgressions are not forgotten," said Ma Teng.

"Rebel! Wang Yun has pardoned us!" shouted Zhang Ji. He turned to his army, asking, "Who will give battle to these villains?"

"I will go," said Hu Che-Er, a warrior in Zhang Ji's service. Hu Che-Er was a man from a far away land, who had made his way to China, and became one of Dong Zhuo's subordinates. He had a reputation for great strength.

Ma Teng asked the same of his army, and his own son, Ma Chao, came forth. Though he was only seventeen, Ma Chao had proved himself to be a brave and fierce warrior.

Ma Chao and Hu Che-Er rode out to engage in combat. The two fought for forty bouts, but Ma Chao was beginning to get the better of Hu Che-Er, so he turned and fled back to the army. Ma Chao gave chase, and the whole army followed suit. Zhang Ji ordered his men to charge, but Hu Che-Er's defeat had hurt morale. After half an hour of battle, his army broke formation and fled inside Longxi.

Ma Teng's army positioned to surround Longxi, and began hurling insults. But Zhang Ji did not give battle, rather he consulted Zhong Yao once more. "The city is surrounded, and the men's morale is poor. What are we to do?"

"We can still find victory in defeat. Ma Teng has the city fairly surrounded, but his forces are spread out. Send a messenger to Li Jue asking to attack Ma Teng's flank, and then we can sally forth, and defeat the enemy," said Zhong Yao.

Zhang Ji agreed, and sent a messenger to venture posthaste to Nanan, where Li Jue was stationed. Li Jue was not pleased when he received the messenger.

"It seems that Zhang Ji provoked Ma Teng and has not only instigated conflict, but now come out the worse for it. This reflects badly upon us," said Li Jue.

Jia Xu, Li Jue's advisor, had a different opinion. "Our lifeline is only as strong as our forces remain. Should we find ourselves in a situation where our men are eliminated, Wang Yun would surely look the other way while we were executed. Preserving Zhang Ji is vital," said Jia Xu.

Li Jue was still frustrated, but agreed. "Who is willing to make an expedition to save Zhang Ji's skin?" he asked. Yang Feng, a subordinate of his, volunteered. Thus, Li Jue sent Yang Feng with a host of twelve-thousand to rescue Zhang Ji.

It was only when Yang Feng's force was within five miles that Ma Teng's scouts picked up on their presence. Hastily, he sent Ma Chao with ten-thousand troops eastward to meet them in battle.

Ma Chao bravely rode to the front lines when he saw Yang Feng's banner. The two armies came to a standstill, and merely waited.

"Identify yourselves, rebels!" exclaimed Ma Chao.

"I am Yang Feng. Why do you march against innocent men?" asked Yang Feng.

"I think only of innocence when I recall Dong Zhuo deposing the Emperor! I think only of innocence when I think of Dong Zhuo pillaging Luoyang! Yang Feng, you and your like were complicit in these deeds. Dismount or die," said Ma Chao.

"Ma Chao is a valorious warrior. Is there anybody brave enough to face him?" asked Yang Feng of his army.

"I will go," said one man in Yang Feng's ranks.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 01:31:26 AM »
« Edited: June 18, 2017, 02:11:06 AM by Apocrypha »

Chapter 3: Xu Huang And Ma Chao Fight To A Draw, Niu Chen Instigates Division (191 AD)

Everyone’s eyes turned to the speaker. He was a man who stood at nearly eight spans tall, adorning a thick breastplate on his chest and a turban aloft his head. A long axe was affixed to his back, which he was quite proficient with in battle. This man was Xu Huang.

Xu Huang had been a trusted deputy of Yang Feng’s for several years. The two had originally met as members of the White Wave – an offshoot group from the Yellow Turbans. Nonetheless, Yang Feng trusted Xu Huang as his most capable warrior, and assented to his request. “If you are willing to go, then very well. We will be preparing spiced wine in anticipation of your return,” said Yang Feng.

Xu Huang nodded, and rode out to meet Ma Chao’s force with a company of several thousand men. When the two happened upon each other, Xu Huang was at the fore of his entourage. He stared across the field at Ma Chao, brandishing his battle axe.

“Ma Chao! Your father and Han Sui have long had a penchant for collusion with the barbarians of the West. Your army once fought in the name of liberating the Emperor, but now that he is weak, you invite foreign hordes to descend upon his palace. How do you pardon such behavior?” he jeered.

“I don’t deign to learn your name, but you are in the service of Dong Zhuo’s remnants. Who are you to accuse me of rebellion?” he shot back. Without waiting for a response, Ma Chao stirred his steed into action. Xu Huang reciprocated, and the two met for nearly a hundred bouts, with neither getting the better of each other. Both warriors rode back to their respective camps.

“I don’t know who that miscreant is, but he fights valiantly, despite being of a mean background,” said a frustrated Ma Chao. Despite this news, Ma Teng smiled. “My son, you have displayed your mettle in distinguished fashion. Even if you merely stall the invading forces, it will be a victory as long as the siege holds,” he said.

Meanwhile, Xu Huang had returned to his general, Yang Feng, expressing frustration. “That Ma Chao is a damnable sort, but I cannot seem to get the better of him,” he lamented.

Yang Feng turned towards his staff for counsel. “What would be the best course of action to take?” he asked. Niu Chen, an advisor and younger cousin of Niu Fu, said, “As an individual, his might may be equal to that of Lu Bu. However, no man can muster enough strength to quell an army. We should launch a full assault, overwhelm the green Ma Chao, and catch Ma Teng by surprise. When our allies in Longxi see the fighting, they will sally and we can crush them in a vise.”

Xu Huang was quick to disagree. “That plan won’t work. Our unit may be equal to Ma Chao’s in flesh, but not in spirit. Our twelve-thousand are mostly young men, pressed into service with little commitment or experience. Meanwhile, the enemy hail from Xiliang, a place teeming with conflict, and men are hardened before they leave the womb. It may be a slaughter,” he said.

Yang Feng felt unsure. “The trepidation of combat can wear on the mind. Better that we get some sleep and awake with a fresh perspective,” he said. But Niu Chen rose from his seat, desperate for Yang Feng’s ear once more. “Indecision would be a fitting epitaph on the graves of many men who have failed. To merely idle here would be as meek of a response as Xu Huang’s effort against Ma Chao. Rather, we should attack immediately and catch the enemy by surprise,” he said.

Xu Huang was incensed by Niu Chen’s insult. He rose from his seat, elbows cocked and fists clenched. “You would dare sit here in the comfort of this tent, demeaning good men and offering poor counsel?” he bellowed.

Several men rose up to suppress Xu Huang, and Niu Chen recoiled in fear. “General, this man speaks to drive us toward complacency and wane our morale. Now he is threatening your staff. In times like these, allegiances are as uncertain as next decade’s harvest. Better to place Xu Huang under arrest in case he is colluding with the enemy,” he said, trying to suppress his tremors.

Yang Feng acceded and had Xu Huang bound. Xu Huang berated Niu Chen as he was hoisted away.

However, Yang Feng was reluctant to heed the advice about ambushing Ma Chao’s force at night. He adjourned the meeting, sending everybody to bed and commanding they reconvene at sunrise. When they did, Yang Feng was amount his horse and dressed in full battle garb.
“We are going to march on Ma Chao’s encampment with our whole host. If Heaven is on our side, then I trust that we will persevere to victory,” he said. After twenty minutes of notice, nearly the entirety of Yang Feng’s force was in formation, save for the bare minimum needed to supervise the camp. He headed up the van as they marched, with young boys beating drums and gongs to bolster morale.

The commotion quickly alerted Ma Chao, who readied a platoon of his own men and rode forth to meet Yang Feng. “I see the vagrant from yesterday is too ashamed to show his face once more! No matter, I am still willing to fight,” he taunted.

Yang Feng said nothing, and the two rode out to meet each other in combat. However, after six bouts, Yang Feng could see that he was no match for Ma Chao. He hurried back to his army, who charged forth. They fought with the Xiliang troops for an hour, but once it became apparent that they were decidedly losing, Yang Feng called a retreat. Ma Chao gave pursuit, but stopped just a mile away from Yang Feng’s camp.

Ma Chao spoke with his deputies for further advice. “We seem to be on the cusp of victory, but Dong Zhuo’s cohort are known for their guile and deceit. What ought our next move be?” he asked.

As if on cue, one man cleared his throat and stepped forward. “Yang Feng’s posse are in disarray. If you were to give me a thousand men, then we make them scatter like flies from a furnace,” said a deep voice. It belonged to a man in possession of a prominent goatee, with a chest like a bear’s and skin bronzed by the sun. This was Pang De.

Ma Chao was reassured by this advice. “Very well. I will give you a thousand men – be sure to take prisoner as many of the enemy as you can,” he said.

Meanwhile, Yang Feng hastily gathered his advisors once more in search of counsel. “We were no match for the men at Xiliang, and were beaten handily. Breaking the siege of Longxi seems impossible now,” he said.

Niu Chen spoke once more. “Our allies are not far from here. Perhaps we could seek refuge with Li Jue?” he suggested. However, as soon as he finished speaking, a foot soldier barreled into the tent. “Yang Feng! Ma Chao is invading our camp as we speak!” he bleated. Without a word, Yang Feng ran out only to see that Xiliang troops were ransacking the encampment. Those who lacked the foresight to surrender were promptly run through, and many tents had been set ablaze. Nearly all of his men were rendered invalid, by death or retreat.

He ran back into the tent. “Our whole unit has been panicked and lost their cohesion. There’s no chance of mounting a defense now. Ma Chao is going to eat us alive,” he said.

Niu Chen sought to dissuade Yang Feng. “General, it may not be too late. As evinced by the sound of combat outside these flaps, we have enough of a residual force to orchestrate a retreat. I ask that you give combat yourself, while I buy time to gather a force so we can have a coherent retreat,” he said.

Yang Feng concurred. Having still been in battle garb, he impetuously rushed forward into combat, but was quickly wounded and taken into custody. Eventually, all who had survived the assault were taken into captivity and those who were regarded as prominent were presented before Ma Chao; specifically, Yang Feng, Niu Chen, and Xu Huang. Each were bound and gagged.

Niu Chen was the first man presented before Ma Chao. Pang De said in his assessment, “Many of whom we have taken prisoner gave a poor appraisal of Niu Chen. They said he was conniving and duplicitous. When we captured him, he was caught trying to abscond with the camp’s reserve funds,” he said. Ma Chao looked upon Niu Chen with disdain.

“There is no place for him on Earth, let alone in our army. Execute him at once, and distribute the confiscated funds amongst the locals,” said Ma Chao. Niu Chen wept and caterwauled appeals through his gag, but it was to no avail.

The second man presented to Ma Chao was Yang Feng. Pang De said, “This is Yang Feng, leader of the enemy unit. He was captured while trying to stand athwart the might of hundreds,” said Pang De. “Such bravery is commendable. However, he has been affiliated with both the Yellow Scarves and Dong Zhuo’s cohort in the past, making him doubly guilty of treason. We cannot accommodate such a man into our force,” said Ma Chao.

Yang Feng did not shed a tear while being carried off for execution.

The last man presented to Ma Chao was Xu Huang. Pang De seemed to be at a loss for words. “I do not know who this man is, but he purportedly was jailed for contradicting Niu Chen,” he said. Ma Chao’s brows perked up once he recognized the man. “Untie this man promptly!” he commanded. His troops obliged, and released Xu Huang from his bonds.

Ma Chao stared Xu Huang square in the eyes. “Are you not the same man that I fought to a draw just a few days ago?” he asked. Xu Huang silently nodded in agreement. “What is your name?” asked Ma Chao. “I am Xu Huang, formerly of the White Wave. If I am going to be executed, then I would ask that we forego most formalities,” he said.

Ma Chao was of a different opinion. “Xu Huang, you are the only man to match me in a duel. Furthermore, they say you had the wisdom to contradict Niu Chen, who turned out to be a traitor. I think that your valor and foresight would prove to be an invaluable asset to our forces. What say you?” he asked.

Ma Chao has an offer in hand,
To a prisoner who can't demand

Would Xu Huang accept his offer?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 09:50:21 AM »

Damn, how could I overlooked this? Great job, man.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 01:53:56 AM »

Thank you! I appreciate your appraisal.

I haven't posted anything that I had casually written in awhile; it's reassuring to hear from my peers that I've still "got it," even if the subject matter and writing style is a bit removed from my other projects on here.

Going on a bit of an assumption here: since you haven't read the Three Kingdoms novels, is there anything in particular that jumps out at you here?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 11:00:11 PM »

For reference:

Ma Teng
Niu Fu
Wang Yun (Emperor Xian)
Liu Biao
Liu Yan
Yuan Shu
Cao Cao
Tao Qian
Yuan Shao
Gongsun Zan
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 09:26:55 PM »

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 02:33:06 AM »

Chapter 4: Zhang Ji Gets A Head In A Box, Fan Chou Feels Foreign At Home (191 AD)

Xu Huang had no inclination to surrender. “A man who is quick to crook his knee in the face of adversity is not to be relied upon. If I were to capitulate here, then my honor would be tarnished forever and my credibility rendered insolvent,” he said.

Ma Chao was ready with a rebuttal. “You entered this conflict enlisted under Yang Feng, who served at the behest of Niu Fu. Niu Fu is a former lackey of Dong Zhuo’s, and his entire army consists of the latter’s remains. Since his handler’s death, he has been acting in frenetic fashion, concerned with self-preservation and little else. You, Xu Huang, would sacrifice yourself and your abilities in service of this man? I would contend that you would do more damage to your name by dying for this man than repudiating him,” said Ma Chao.

Xu Huang was moved. “Very well. I will enter your service, if that is what you wish,” he said. Since his arms were bound, he merely bowed his head. Ma Chao ordered that he be unbound immediately, and decorated with military honors.

Having staved off the threat toward his army’s flank, Ma Chao returned to Ma Teng. Ma Chao’s casualties had been negligible, and his unit returned replete with prisoners and booty. Ma Teng, pleased to hear of his son’s prompt return, hastily met with him.

“You have saved us from potential jeopardy and acted with bravery,” he said with adulation. “Despite that good news, Longxi has not yet budged. While no granaries are bottomless, sieges can be costly for both sides, and delay gives the rebels more time to plot against us.”

Ma Chao was suddenly struck with an idea. “Father, when we eliminated the enemy, we managed to capture some of their banners. Perhaps we could fly them from a distance, impersonating their unit and claiming to have lifted the siege altogether? Then, when Zhang Ji comes out to meet us, we can ambush them there,” he said.

Ma Teng agreed, and encamped just a two miles outside of Longxi’s front gates. He waited until the sun had set, before raising Yang Feng’s recovered banner. He sent a messenger to inform Zhang Ji’s forces that the siege had been lifted, and for Zhang Ji to meet him. Meanwhile, Ma Chao and Pang De were each given five hundred cavalry and stationed on opposite sides in the distance. They wore dark clothes and did not light a single torch, in order to blend in with the night.

Zhang Ji was sitting down and drinking wine when news of a messenger arrived. Several weeks of siege had rendered Zhang Ji anxious and bored, and he had sought to remedy that by abusing alcohol.

“Yang Feng has managed to defeat Ma Teng’s unit himself and lift the siege. The rebel escaped capture, but his forces scattered like rats before a flame. General Yang Feng would like to meet with you outside the city, and plot Ma Teng’s elimination,” said the messenger.
Zhang Ji was pleasantly surprised. “That is good news. Give me time to don the proper garb, and I will meet Yang Feng quickly,” he said.

Zhong Yao saw through this ruse, however. “While I don’t doubt the might of our allies, Ma Teng was outside with a stout force. It is unlikely that a small cohort of inexperienced men were able to dispatch him. Furthermore, we never heard the commotion of battle or saw any of Ma Teng’s soldiers fleeing. I think this is a trap,” he cautioned.

Zhang Ji disagreed. Through slurred speech, he rebutted, “For Yang Feng to surmount such overwhelming odds is only more evidence that Heaven is on our side. Do you not remember the heroic Bai Qi, who managed to shatter his foes despite being outnumbered two men to one?”

Zhang Ji, a warrior by trade, always had a natural inclination towards combat. His intoxication made him especially obstinate in his position. Still, Zhong Yao sought to mitigate his hubris.

“As informative as historical examples may be, we are still living in unprecedented times. One man’s friend today may be his enemy tomorrow, and we do not how depraved or treacherous our foes are. Please, at least take a company of men, lest some tragedy befall you,” appealed Zhong Yao.

Zhang Ji assented, and readied three thousand men before exiting Longxi. They marched forward to meet their suspected relief, and once they were within a hundred feet, Zhang Ji shouted his salutations.

In response, Ma Teng said nothing, but waved and bade a messenger to deliver a parcel to Zhang Ji. Zhang Ji eagerly opened it, expecting wine or some trinket, but let out a cry of horror when he discovered that it was Yang Feng’s severed head in his hands.

As if on cue, war drums were beat and Ma Teng’s unit let out a thunderous war cry, before charging forward. Zhang Ji finally realized that Zhong Yao’s prognostication was true, and ordered an immediate retreat into the city. However, as soon as he did that, five hundred cavalry were there on either side to flank his unit.

Zhang Ji did his best to keep his troops resolute and muster a fight, but his green Yong men could not muster a challenge to the crack Xiliang cavalry. In less than an hour, his unit broke rank and was thrown into disarray. He led a small entourage of men to reenter the city, but was accosted by Ma Chao and killed.

Zhang Ji’s scouts saw first-hand the bloodbath that occurred outside the city, and were quick to alert its inhabitants. Panic quickly set in, and those in charge of manning the gates deserted. Ma Teng gave pursuit and sought to occupy the city. He was only met with petty resistance by the residual army, which was quick to either surrender or retreat. Longxi was pacified within a few hours.

Some petty officers who were remained loyal to Niu Fu were executed without ceremony, but the rest were presented before Ma Teng for interview. One such officer was Zhong Yao.
Ma Teng asked of him, “Being in league with traitors such as Niu Fu is a severe offense. What qualities do you possess that would redeem such a crime?”

Zhong Yao merely bowed his head. “I am a man of meager insight and superlative frailty. I have nothing to offer,” he said. However, a fellow captive quickly spoke up, despite still being bound. “Zhong Yao’s only crime is modesty. He saw through your ploy and cautioned Zhang Ji not to exit the city,” he said.

“It sounds like this Zhong Yao is a perceptive individual, even if his talents were being used towards wicked ends. Still, we cannot have him fall back into the hands of the enemy,” he said. Thus, he placed Zhong Yao under arrest but pardoned him from execution.

Longxi had a bloody but quick transfer of power, and before the end of the second watch, combat had ceased. With the lift of the siege, the civilian populace enjoyed its most serene sleep in weeks. Ma Teng held an impromptu feast, where he enjoyed a libation with even the impressed Longxi troops, and heaped praise upon his son Ma Chao.

Two days later, news of the fall of Longxi and Zhang Ji’s demise reached Li Jue’s ears, by way of messenger. Li Jue turned towards Fan Chou in disgust.

“That impotent Zhang Ji was unable to withstand Ma Teng’s forces. It now seems to be an inevitability that Ma Teng should attack us, and now can do so without reprisal from his left flank. What should we do?” he asked.

“Zhang Ji stayed put and was drowned like a rat in a box. We still have twenty-three thousand troops to our name. Impart nearly all of those to me, and I will do my utmost to vanquish those villains. As a Liang native, I know the land better than most,” he said.

Li Jue agreed, and sent Fan Chou westwards with a company of nearly twenty-two thousand men, leaving a minimal garrison to guard Nanan. Indubitably, Fan Chou’s host collided with Ma Teng, whose army was heading in the opposite direction. Ma Teng rode to the fore, jeering across towards Fan Chou.

“Rebel! Why do you march at your own countrymen for the sake of a bloated tyrant? Don’t you know that his entrails are fecundating the soil in Chang’an?” said Ma Teng.

Fan Chou said nothing, but merely ordered that his army charge straight forward towards Ma Teng’s, who reciprocated. Though numerically their equal, Fan Chou’s forces were far less experienced and equipped than Ma Teng’s, who quickly overwhelmed them. Fan Chou called a retreat, running head long to Nanan.

Li Jue was gravely disappointed. “Ma Teng has embarrassed us thus far, reduced our ranks, and is bearing down on this city. What do we do now?” he asked, looking upon Fan Chou with strong disdain. “Ma Teng was not pursuing us too vigorously when we ran. Perhaps we have enough time to raid the city and run to Shanxi?”

Though disgruntled, Li Jue agreed. He ordered their remaining cohort to confiscate anything of discernible value in the city, before retreating east towards Shanxi. Ma Teng’s army walked into Nanan and were welcomed as heroes. Meanwhile, Li Jue and Fan Chou had their men running towards Shanxi, their numbers thinning whether by exhaustion, starvation, or dejection. Still, they had a force of ten thousand to their name when they arrived at Shanxi.

Niu Fu was apoplectic when he learned of the defeats in Yong. “Our forces get obliterated while on expedition, and the first messenger at my gates is Li Jue himself?” he exclaimed.

Li Jue’s men met naught but despair
At Shanxi’s gate, how would they fare?

Would Niu Fu grant Li Jue entry to the city?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 12:55:49 AM »

Chapter 5: Niu Fu meets Xu Huang in Combat, Lu Bu Envelops a City (191 AD)

Niu Fu had only a moment’s hesitation before Jia Xu interjected. “Regardless of his ineptitude, the wise decision is to let Li Jue in. He should still boast some supplies and soldiers, which will be necessary for us to continue,” he said.

Niu Fu relented, and opened the gates, thus granting Li Jue access to the city. He and his men frantically piled in, almost to the point of causing a ruckus.

Within two hours, Niu Fu had organized a meeting between himself, his advisors, and the remnants of the Nanan forces. Niu Fu began the meeting with a line of inquiry toward Fan Chou. “Based on your first-hand encounter, how would you characterize the men of Xiliang?” he asked.

“When I clashed with Ma Teng, he had over twenty thousand cavalry present. They were as ferocious as they were villainous, and my own force was no match for them. By my own evaluation, we cannot beat them by ourselves,” said Fan Chou.

Niu Fu was vexed. “What should we do then?” he asked.

Li Jue bore a sanguine smile. “It was not long ago that Wang Yun issued a pardon of us for our past affiliation with Dong Zhuo. We are the rightful protectors of Tian Shui, while Ma Teng’s own Han Sui has a history of collaborating with western dissidents. If Wang Yun is a man of his word, then he will surely grant reinforcements in our favor, instead of siding with foreign invaders,” he said.

Niu Fu was eager to heed Li Jue’s advice, but a second voice spoke up in rebuttal.
“We are beset by a unique set of circumstances. Zhang Ji held out for a long siege and was carved up like a roasted boar by our foes’ cunning. Fan Chou impetuously charged forward and was beaten by their might. Neither example serves as a proper heuristic towards beating our enemy. Therefore, seeking reinforcements from Wang Yun seems like a seductive proposition: after all, he has the might of Lu Bu and the blessing of the Emperor.

However, beseeching Wang Yun for reinforcements would be akin to asking foxes to watch a hennery. As the architect of Dong Zhuo’s assassination, it is evident that he still holds us in contempt and only granted such a pardon out of convenience. At the worst, he might even seek to put us in a vise between his own troops and Ma Teng’s, in an attempt to remove a thorn from his side. I would implore you not to contact Wang Yun,” it finished. That voice belonged to Jia Xu, Niu Fu’s most trusted advisor.

“If we can neither sally nor sit, then what would you suggest that we do? Are you merely awaiting the executioner’s block?” asked Niu Fu.

“Our situation is precarious indeed. We are hemmed by enemies on either side: a distrustful Wang Yun to the east, and an ambitious Ma Teng to the west. By ourselves, no amount of cunning or might could save our skin. However, there is one avenue of salvation: the Riverlands. Due south of here is Yi province, which boasts the city of Chengdu. This is a part of the country that is free of strife, and where Liu Yan has bolstered a force of his own. Although Liu Yan is tenuously connected by blood to the Emperor, there are murmurs that he is trying to establish an independent regime. Perhaps we could receive amnesty there in exchange for our services,” said Jia Xu.

“The annals of history span for thousands of years, yet there is no record of a man finding prosperity by retreating. Our forefather, Dong Zhuo, retreated to the West just to be slain. We recently retreated to the West ourselves, just to be attacked by Ma Teng’s army.  We are better off standing our ground and fighting,” responded Li Jue.

Niu Fu found Li Jue’s advice to be insightful, and dispatched a messenger to Chang’an, requesting reinforcements from the Court. The letter read,
“Minister Wang Yun, we are indebted to your magnanimity and mercy for the pardon that you granted us. However, as servants of the emperor, we beseech you for help: Ma Teng is leading a host of foreign invaders on our encampment, and threatens to obliterate us. The country has already dealt with so much internal strife, and the last thing it needs to suffer is a barbarian invasion. Thus, as an evident patriot, we ask that you send reinforcements to help smash this threat.”

It was only a day later that Wang Yun read the letter aloud, to a discreet audience composed of his trusted advisors. His face lit up with mirth as he uttered the last sentence. “I can practically see Niu Fu’s hand clutching for life as he dangles off the precipice of a cliff,” he said with joy.
Huangfu Song grinned and nodded. “All is according to plan. Send back a response telling them to sally from Shanxi, while granting assurance that we will reinforce them. Then, you can dispatch Lu Bu with a strong force and order him to lie in wait for their return. Thus, we can fully suppress the traitors,” he said.

Wang Yun agreed and sent the messenger on his way.

Niu Fu promptly received Wang Yun’s response, and was elated. “The Minister will grant us security after all!” he exclaimed.

“What does his missive say?” asked Jia Xu.

“Minister Wang is asking that we sally forth and take on Ma Teng’s forces, with the promise of reinforcements in case we can’t surmount their army,” said Niu Fu.

Jia Xu was skeptical. “Nanan has been stripped bare of munitions by Li Jue, and Longxi withstood a long siege. It is unlikely that either yielded significant supplies for Ma Teng and his ilk. His army is heavily reliant on horses, thus increasing his demand for food. Furthermore, the soils of Liang are not known for their fertility. I do not think that Ma Teng has enough rations to sustain a prolonged siege, considering the logistical challenge he faces. We would be better off riding this out,” said Jia Xu.

Li Jue immediately interjected between Wang Yun’s messenger and Jia Xu. “It was only weeks ago that we were worried about our fidelity to the Emperor, and now he suggests that we openly defy him? The order was simple: charge. We can’t cower in the face of foreign invaders,” he said.

Once more, Niu Fu sided with Li Jue’s advice. “Recent transpirations have shown that fortune favors men of action, not inertia. We ought to fight Ma Teng’s outlaws as soon as we can. Tomorrow, we shall reconvene here to prepare for that,” said Niu Fu.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 12:57:54 AM »

With that, the meeting was abruptly brought to adjournment. When Jia Xu retired to his private quarters, he had taken to drinking wine and lamenting the obstinance of Niu Fu. Eventually, one of his servants engaged him in conversation, seeing that he had imbibed too much.

“Minister Xu, what is wrong?” he asked.

“Our pardon from Wang Yun was merely an execution deferred. Lu Bu marches toward our gates under the guise of relief, when in reality he salivates in anticipation of occupying this city. Yet, Niu Fu is so gullible that he is willing to listen to the counsel of buffoons over my own words. I fear that I will be a collateral casualty to this whole blunder,” he said.

“With due deference, there is no reason why your tree of livelihood must be rooted to Niu Fu’s foundation. You lack the conspicuity of a King Wen, but not the cunning. Surely, in the event of a takeover of the city, you would not be considered a reprehensible figure,” said the servant.
Jia Xu grinned with elation. “Very well, then. If Niu Fu is going to disregard the advice of prescient men, then I may as well season that lamb before it is served,” he said.

He nodded, and granted the servant a glass of wine before departing to bed.

The next morning, Niu Fu assembled a meeting consisting of the same people from yesterday. He opened up by announcing that Ma Teng had assembled his forces a mere two miles from the gates of Shanxi.

“My only request is that your majesty head the unit instead if Li Jue. The latter has just been beaten a few days ago, and sending a disgraced warrior would not be good for morale. It would be more inspirational for the troops if you yourself headed the charge,” said Jia Xu.

These words stoked Niu Fu’s natural ego and impetuousness. “Very well. At the start of the third watch, I will lead our entire garrison out to do battle with Ma Teng. Jia Xu, I am leaving you with a minimal amount of men in order to maintain order in the city. If the enemy arrives at the gates, shut them and do not give battle,” he said.

Jia Xu assented and Niu Fu quickly assembled the entirety of their remaining forces at Shanxi’s west gate, amassing a host of eighteen thousand. Niu Fu took it upon himself to lead the van, leaving Li Jue in charge of the rear. With this move, Shanxi had been left with such a sparse garrison that a lone soldier was in charge of policing entire blocks, and every other tower was left unmanned.

Amidst the commotion and shuffling of men in Shanxi in anticipation of conflict with Ma Teng, Lu Bu’s own unit had quickly descended upon the city, remaining just within its peripheries. He boasted a force of seven thousand men, of which two thousand were elite cavalry.  Seeking to gain a better understanding of the situation, Lu Bu sent Li Su and a handful of men to reconnoiter its perimeter.

Li Su was quick to report back. “Our scouts were so unmolested that they felt as if they were running across a rice field. Most of the towers look unmanned. We may be able to march right in,” he said.

Zhang Liao was quick to caution against this. “Dong Zhuo’s remnants are a wily and dishonest sort. That may be just a ruse to entrap us into an ambush. We must not lose sight of our current mission here: eliminate Niu Fu. While Ma Teng has been overtly friendly toward us, we cannot be sure of his true intentions, and squandering men on an assault on the city would be foolhardy, were he to turn on us. Instead, we ought to stay put now and wait for signs of combat on the other side of city. Then, we can know that Ma Teng has engaged with Niu Fu’s men,” he cautioned.

Lu Bu found this to be sound advice and encamped.

Meanwhile, Ma Teng had noticed the banners and advancement of Niu Fu’s unit as they marched toward them. He said to his army, “Good. They are finally willing to offer combat.”
When the two armies were within a mile of each other, Niu Fu rode to the front, brandishing his spear. He barked toward Ma Teng’s army, challenging them all to a fight. Ma Chao was getting ready to mount his horse, when a bold voice stopped him.

“I think I ought to give him battle,” he said. Ma Chao turned around to see that it was Xu Huang, who had previously been captured. “You were nice enough to spare my life despite the rigorous duels that we had. The least that I can do is eliminate one of our enemies,” he said. Ma Chao agreed, and Xu Huang rode out to meet Niu Fu, bedecked with his white turban, armor, and a battle axe in his hand.

Xu Huang was eager to meet Niu Fu. “To those men opposite me, hear this: your champion is a sad sort who endeavors to preserve the legacy of Dong Zhuo. Where is Dong Zhuo know?” he asked rhetorically. “He bloated his estate with largesse to the point that his person burst; his entrails fertilized the soil, and his paradise in Meiwo lies in ruin. Do you really expect this man to lead you to prosperity?” he said.

Niu Fu was quick to respond. “This knave has spent so many of his thoughts crafting this monologue, but I don’t even know who he is. Who cares what he has to say?” he jeered.
With that, Niu Fu and Xu Huang galloped their horses at full speed towards each other, and both had readied their weapons. They fought at parity for eleven bouts, but Xu Huang managed to get the better of Niu Fu and beheaded him with one stroke. As if on cue, Ma Chao’s army charged and quickly broke the resolve of Niu Fu’s forces.

During the pell-mell of combat, Li Jue did his best to maintain order amongst the unit and assumed leadership. He commanded them to retreat back into the city.

As this was occurring, Lu Bu’s unit saw the signs of conflict that he had been anticipating, and ordered a full charge towards the city of Shanxi. However, as his forces happened upon the city, its gates flung wide open and black banners were brandished over the walls. The banners read, “General Lu, we surrender.”

Lu Bu bade Li Su to lead a small unit into the city in case of a ruse, but there was none. Lu Bu soon strode into the city, arresting the scant personnel left by Niu Fu and establishing order.
It wasn’t long before Li Jue’s scampering unit happened upon the western gate of Shanxi and demanded entry. Despite their hasty retreat, they could see the dust clouds rising from Ma Chao’s pursuit in the distance.

The gatekeepers acknowledged Li Jue and lifted the gates. However, as his remnants began to enter the city, they were met with Lu Bu and a stout force, waiting in formation.

Li Jue felt as if his throat turned into ice as he stammered toward Lu Bu. “General, you are here to reinforce us, right?” he asked. Lu Bu did not deign to respond directly to Li Jue. Instead, he waved his halberd forwards and his army gave charge. Li Jue commanded his army to turn direction, only to see Ma Chao’s cavalry bearing down on them. Their entire unit scattered in a few axe strokes, and Li Jue laid dead across the battlefield.

Within minutes after the conflict ended, Lu Bu ordered the gates of Shanxi shut. Ma Chao and his cohort nonetheless demanded entry to the city.

Two hunters conspire,
To rid Earth of a pest
Why should they aspire,
To divvy up the rest?

Would Lu Bu open up the gates of Shanxi?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 01:32:52 AM »

Chapter 6:

Lu Bu was quick to convene with his advisors once the commotion outside the city walls had ceased.

“Ma Chao sits outside the walls of Shanxi, boorishly demanding entry to the city. This bodes toward ill intentions on his part. What should we do?” he asked, conferring with his staff.

First to speak was Li Su, a childhood friend of Lu Bu’s whom had been responsible for orchestrating the initial betrayal of Ding Yuan. “Brother, you and I know first-hand the tale of a man from Liang advancing eastward with a large army, under the pretext of punishing traitors. Such memories are more vivid and cautionary than the musings of last night’s slumber. The conflict has ceased, and there is no need for his army to enter Shanxi,” said Li Su.

Before anybody else could get a word in, a high-pitched voice issued protestation from the distance. All turned their heads to see Jia Xu, who was bound and taken prisoner despite surrendering the city to Lu Bu.

“Such a situation must be carefully handled. If we were to be so obstinate and mean that we would not grant him some sort of communication, then he may assume that we have nefarious motives,” said Jia Xu.

Lu Bu was intrigued. “How do we handle this situation then?” he asked.

Their conversation was quickly interrupted by Ma Chao’s booming voice at the gates. “Minister Wang entreated us to help eliminate the traitors. All we ask for is a simple correspondence; are he and his men too opaque to grant us even that?” he jeered.

Following Ma Chao’s interruption, Lu Bu looked toward the room once more for advice.
“My intuition tells me that you colluded with Ma Teng’s men to eliminate Niu Fu’s army. Although you may have done so via secret letter, gossip travels fast in this country, especially during times of instability such as these. If you were to undermine the terms of that agreement, it would damage the credibility of Minister Wang at best, and invite another coup at worst.

However, it is natural to be bashful towards the prospect of opening one’s gates to thousands of cavalry, especially if they’re fresh off a strong victory. So, my proposition would be this: agree to meet Ma Chao at the gates of the city, but not cede an inch of ground to them,” he said.

Lu Bu found this to be good advice, and reappeared at the gates and spoke to Ma Chao’s unit.
“Order has been restored to Shanxi, and your assistance is not needed at the moment. However, it would be unbecoming of the Emperor’s army to snub those who have rendered good service, so I will meet you personally at the gates,” said Lu Bu.

Following this statement, he hurried his way down toward the gate, emerging amount Red Hare, along with a well-armed entourage. Ma Chao’s whole army seemed to ready their spears in anticipation of combat, and the men atop the walls of Shanxi likewise readied their arrows.

Ma Chao was first to break the silence brewed by the standstill. “General Lu! We have acted concertedly to eliminate Li Jue and his recalcitrants. Why do you suddenly act so distrusting of us?” he asked.

“It seems like only a fortnight ago that Dong Zhuo’s army was greeted as liberators, only to wreak an even worse tyranny than that of the Ten Eunuchs. As the stewards of the Son of Heaven, I am sure you can understand why I would be apprehensive,” said Lu Bu.

Ma Chao remained unsatisfied. “General Lu, your Third Father, Wang Yun, granted amnesty to Li Jue and his lot, even though they were Dong Zhuo’s most heinous lackeys. Yet you won’t even grant us a conference inside the city we collaborated to liberate?” he asked.

Before Lu Bu could respond, he felt a hand grasp his wrist. It belonged to Li Su, who had ridden out with him to the gate. “There is enough tension abound that this situation could quickly escalate. I am quite persuasive. In the event that I may say something wrong, I am sure that Ma Chao could cut me down with one blow; but I am willing to wager on my tongue,” he said.

Lu Bu was impressed with his friend’s confidence and bade him to go forward. “General Ma Chao, please note that my master has the utmost esteem for you. He has often said that the only thing that exceeds your existing might is your further potential. However, his only first-hand contact with you lies in today’s unfortunate circumstances.

Yes, it is true that we had granted amnesty to Dong Zhuo’s twitching limbs, but that was only because they were teeming with rabid nerves, ready to strike frantically and with abandon. It was possible that they may have gotten hold of the Emperor otherwise. Don’t forget: even Wang Mang was allowed to rule for a few years.

But we won’t govern similarly to such a tyrant, and will confer the appropriate accolades to those who have rendered service, such as your own army. I think this matter may be best handled under joint negotiations between senior partners of our groups,” said Li Su.

Ma Chao assented and dispatched messengers for his father. Meanwhile, Li Su conferred with Lu Bu and relayed to him the terms of discussion between he and Ma Chao.
“Should we send for Wang Yun?” asked Lu Bu.

“No. Wang Yun is advanced in age, and while Li Jue’s men may have scattered, we do not know where they lurk. In the Art of War, Sun Tzu mentioned that surprise is the most potent element, and I would bet on that over any imperial escort,” said Li Su.

After some trepidation, Lu Bu nodded. The next day, he and Li Su rode back out to the western gate at Shanxi to meet with Ma Teng and Han Sui. As soon as the four met up, tension resumed amongst the soldiers of both parties involved.

Li Su was first to speak. “As your venerable son may have relayed to you, we are thankful for your assistance in purging the nest of rats holed up in Yong. As a demonstration of our gratitude, we would like to confer titles and rewards upon yourself in recognition of your service, as well as amnesty towards who serve you,” he said.

Ma Teng was receptive to this proposition. “I appreciate this show of good faith. What bestowment did you have in mind?” he asked. “I would like to offer five thousand taels of gold, as well as the titles of General Who Tames the West and General Who Quakes the West, upon Han Sui and yourself respectively. Additionally, I would like to offer the promotion of your son, Ma Chao, to Right Guard of the Imperial army,” said Li Su.

Ma Teng smiled. “This sounds like a fair reward,” he said. However, Han Sui was quick to pull him aside.

“We saw what Wang Yun’s amnesty was worth when we eliminated Li Jue and Niu Fu. Is there any reason why we should take comfort in this guarantee, when the Ten Eunuchs gave away titles like spoiled grain?” asked Han Sui rhetorically.

“Wang Yun is a diligent servant of the Emperor, so much so that he orchestrated the overthrow of Dong Zhuo. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt,” said Ma Teng.

Han Sui remained skeptical. “Before us stands Li Su, the man who negotiated the assassination of Ding Yuan, and Lu Bu, the executioner himself; both in order to further Dong Zhuo’s machinations. Those don’t seem like a laudable deeds. Also, they are trying to deprive you of your son – who is to say that isn’t just so they can hold him hostage at a later date?” he said.

“Allegiances are fleeting. At one point, seven kingdoms existed in China, only for them to be superseded by one singular state. When you consider the tumult that our country was in, you cannot begrudge Li Su and Lu Bu their past indiscretions. Furthermore, Ma Chao is of the sort that rouses those around him. I do not fear for his safety,” said Ma Teng.

Ma Teng stepped forward and shook hands with Li Su, prompting Han Sui to storm back towards camp. Ma Teng quickly followed after him.

“If you were so concerned about five thousand taels of gold, then we could have easily confiscated that from Shanxi!” he exclaimed indignantly.

Ma Teng put a hand on his shoulder, in an attempt to alleviate his mood. “Listen, brother. With this deal in place, we have time to bolster our forces. If Wang Yun wants to march on us, he has no army to the west to call upon, and all armies east of him must go through Chang’an to attack us. There is no reason why Yuan Shao or Cao Cao wouldn’t ‘borrow a road to destroy a host’ and sow discord.”

Han Sui suppressed his frustration and agreed with Ma Teng. Thus, Li Su was quick to petition the court, and Wang Yun named Ma Teng General Who Tames The West, and Han Sui General Who Quakes The West. Ma Teng was also enfeoffed five thousand taels of gold and the title of Governor of Yong.

Now that the west had been pacified, Wang Yun made a few appointments coinciding with Ma Teng’s reward. Lu Bu was named Grand General of the Imperial Army, and Li Su was promoted to Head of The Imperial Escort. Shisun Rui was named Minister of the Interior, and Wang Yun was named Prime Minister. Lastly, Zhong Yao and Jia Xu were both granted pardons and named to serve in the imperial court.

Wang Yun bade all those present to join him in libation to commemorate the victory over Niu Fu and their respective promotions. However, it only took a few minutes for their celebration to be disrupted by a messenger that rushed toward the floor of the court.

“Minister Wang! I bring grave news from Xu Province!” he exclaimed.

“What news would that be?” asked Wang Yun.

“Lord Cao Cao has begun an assault on Tao Qian’s hold in Xu, trying to claim it for his own without any imperial edict.

In the name of upholding the authority of the Han, I request that you quell this issue.
Wang Yun was skeptical at first. “Are you trying to convince me that Cao Cao just started attacking Xu Province on a whim?” he asked.

“Unfortunately, it’s not that simple,” said the messenger.

Wang Yun calmed a dog
That was barking in the west
Now he must pierce fog
To figure out what is best

What would Wang Yun do about Cao Cao’s assault on Xu?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 09:11:49 PM »

Bump
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies