Modern Society
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:45:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Modern Society
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Modern Society  (Read 634 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:47:58 PM »

I will criticize brunch.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 01:09:25 PM »

oh hell no

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 01:54:09 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2014, 01:02:01 PM by Simfan34 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://elitedaily.com/humor/generation-why-omg-lets-grab-brunch/

What might be worse: Lena Dunham in a hoodie eating brunch.

But what else? After more criticisms of brunch, I will complain about other things.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »

Elite Daily seems like a horrifically bad website.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 03:10:05 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2014, 01:46:18 AM by traininthedistance »

Brunch is a good way for restaurants to stay in business by making money at off-peak times, and also to provide food that's plenty tasty while being a lot more affordable than dinner entrees.

The culture that's grown up around that is, yes, tres insufferable.  But the thing itself has  merit, if you strip away the trend-a-licious trappings.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 01:00:21 AM »

Is this a New York thing? This is a New York thing.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 01:33:49 AM »

Brunches are terrible, indeed, but I never saw someone under-50 go there without being compelled.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 09:36:16 AM »

Is this a New York thing? This is a New York thing.

Probably mostly, but I can also attest to the existence of brunch in Philadelphia as well.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 12:26:37 PM »

There is brunch even here in Western Austria, so it definitely isn't a New York thing. Normally, my area starts with new trends the time Botswana, Iran and Tajikistan do, so it can't be a New York thing.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 12:49:44 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2014, 01:02:51 PM by Simfan34 »

Brunch is a good way for restaurants to stay in business by making money at off-peak times, and also to provide food that's plenty tasty while being a lot more affordable than dinner entrees.

The culture that's grown up around that is, yes, tres insufferable.  But the thing itself has  merit, if you strip away the trend-a-licious trappings.

Well, perhaps. I have a confession to make- I go to "brunch" quite often. I'd prefer to simply call it a late breakfast, but I digress. The last time I went was on Saturday, in fact, and it was still "brunch" inexplicably at 4pm. I had fish and chips, which the person I was dining with said seemed very British of me. I suppose I really can't help it. Before that, it must have been... two weeks prior with another friend. I had a fantastic beef bourguignon crepe. Absolutely fantastic. So it isn't all terrible.

Too, often, however, brunches are the assorted drabs from the weekend on one last round before the garbage. And I've been to one of those brunches I was railing against... in late September, in fact. The sort of people I call "those people", I don't usually hang out with them but I there I was. At least one woman was a hitherto-unknown hookup of one of the others, with the look thereof and the talk was just incessant gossip. Absolutely loathesome.

Xahar, are you telling me brunch is non-existent in your part(s) of the country? Fascinating if true. One thing I've learnt (suspected, but now confirmed) over the past year from canvassing over the summer in the Bronx, is that my personal experiences and social environment cannot at all be used to attempt to make make meaningful inferences in the world. (such as this) I'm still inclined, for example, to think that the average house in this country costs $4-500,000, even though I know it's nowhere near that. The collegiate bubble can foster strange conceptions of the world, I will admit. At least it's not "social justice warriorism".

So if brunch is non-existent outside of New York and a few other cities, despite the endless stream of articles I see acting as if it were a universal occurrence, I would be surprised but not shocked. I've been to Houston over the summer, however, and there was brunch there. I went to one with the family, it was great!
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 12:51:53 PM »

Petition to ban Simfan34

xPaul Kemp
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 12:58:09 PM »

Yes. It's clear that we've all made a terrible mistake.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 01:00:18 PM »

For admitting I realize things I said in the past were inane?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 01:01:34 PM »

I'm not referring to the concept of brunch; I'm referring to literally everything else. Aside from complaining that women exist, apparently, literally none of the rest of it has any relevance to "our generation".
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 01:04:38 PM »

I'm not referring to the concept of brunch; I'm referring to literally everything else. Aside from complaining that women exist, apparently, literally none of the rest of it has any relevance to "our generation".

That may be, but I think you are in the minority here.

Why Is Our Generation So Obsessed With Brunch?

http://elitedaily.com/humor/generation-obsessed-brunch/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 02:14:28 PM »

I've never been to a brunch of this kind, but I have heard rumors of it on the wind as something that people in New York and occasionally Boston do.

Also I really think women's sex lives are a separate issue, and probably not one on which we should be commenting.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 02:24:11 PM »

I just what I want whenever I want. #post-sturcturalism
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »

I've occasionally heard women around my age (I'm 29) complain about how some of their (female) friends like to go out for brunch excessively often. So this culture is real, and not just on the east coast.

I think the issue here may be that it is mainly a post-student thing, since it is premised on the idea that you don't see your friends much during the work week, and have to meet up with them to chat on the weekend.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 02:25:53 PM »

Brunch is a great concept because it allows me to sleep in and eat breakfast excessively late without being judged. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 02:30:10 PM »

Brunch is a great concept because it allows me to sleep in and eat breakfast excessively late without being judged. 

Exactly. Getting drunk and eating French toast with a side of home fries at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon after sleeping in until 1 pm, and this activity being not only socially acceptable but encouraged, is what makes this country uniquely great.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 02:37:35 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2014, 02:45:54 PM by DemPGH »

Sunday brunches are common around here (church crowd), and they offer everything, although it's not something that appeals to me. They're usually buffet style or else à-la-carte, but I'm not usually in restaurants during the late morning and early afternoon hours, so IDK, they could be more common. Most restaurants will just pick a time and switch from breakfast menu to lunch menu.

If you want to eat two meals a day, it's a good concept. I usually just do periodic light snacking until dinner - it's healthier and doesn't leave me feeling really full. I never really did a three-meal-a-day thing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies